TESTERS WANTED! ×

**Updated** G425, TSi2 in hand. S**ts about to get real around me....

Shank Aaron

Had a chance to test the 425 LST driver and hybrids yesterday. Love the hybrid losing the turbulators and its compact head (similar to the 410), looks very nice at address. Ultimately the numbers looked too similar to my 410s to justify trying to replace them at this point.  I hadn’t  played much from ping prior to this year but more and more their clubs feel like the ones I want to test first as a benchmark. Really nice. 

Edited by SamN
Double use of a word

Driver- image.jpeg TSI3 Project X hzrdus rdx black 70 XS

Fairway - Sub 70 Pro Tour 3 wood 14* Project X Evenflow 6.5

Hybrids- image.jpeg G410 18* Project X Evenflow 6.5 

Irons- image.jpeg.dc9b88b4b95d3a2c4f25c00904ffa8a7.jpeg MP20 HMB (2&4), MMC (5-PW), Project X 6.5 LZ black

Wedges- image.jpeg Glide 3.0 SS 50* Project X 6.5 LZ black, Sub 70 54* JB Forged Raw 54* Project X 6.5 LZ black soft stepped, image.jpeg.d99e38758423b118f348474a055061c7.jpeg PM Grind 64* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter- image.jpeg.60bc461b36df3364ed4e5dc7bdd0bf77.jpeg Triple track ten putter

Ball- image.jpeg Pro V1x

Fairway/hybrid/2iron swap depending on course and weather 

On 1/11/2021 at 2:59 PM, Shank Aaron said:

Looks like MGS and Rick Shiels did the rest for me...

Great review, thanks for sharing.  It will be interesting to see if others find the consistency to target line and small yardage spread with the G425MAX as Rick did.  That is a significant stat that does not stand out when looking at the LM numbers face value.  And how about the G30 still hanging with todays best of the best.  I would have liked to see him hit a G400MAX for comparison which, according to a LOT of players is (was) the best driver ever produced.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Great review, thanks for sharing.  It will be interesting to see if others find the consistency to target line and small yardage spread with the G425MAX as Rick did.  That is a significant stat that does not stand out when looking at the LM numbers face value.  And how about the G30 still hanging with todays best of the best.  I would have liked to see him hit a G400MAX for comparison which, according to a LOT of players is (was) the best driver ever produced.

I was honestly shocked that he sided with the Max. I know I'll never have that kind of ball flight and accuracy, I don't care what you put in my hands. I know 2 things about my golf game. 1- I MURDER doglegs with a hard right turn. 2- If you want to know where the OB is off of any tee, get out of my way, I'll show you. 

Shank's Tentative 2024 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym Smoke Ai TD 9*/Ventus TR Blue 6X +1/D

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Paradym Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

• 3 weeks later...

My local retailer has all the new drivers available for demo.  I spent an hour or so in a bay yesterday having a go against my G410 LST. 

425 is fine, but I think I prefer the look / sound / feel of 410.  Kind of a bummer as I was most excited about it. 

SIM2 is pretty great.  It’s different from SIM - different look, feel and shape as well.  I never played a SIM but between them I preferred v2.  Hit some awesome shots with it, but I’d miss being able to tinker with adjustability. 

Tsi3 - sweet sassy molasses which a club.  Awesome look, incredible feel, top marks in launch and spin for me.  I’ve never played a Titleist driver but this one came home with me.  The hype is deserved. 

Tsi3 > 410 > SIM2 > SIM > 425.  

YRMV

TSR3 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed LS 14.5* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

TSR3 21* Kai’li White 90S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

009 Welded 1.5 Neck

7 hours ago, onafriday said:

My local retailer has all the new drivers available for demo.  I spent an hour or so in a bay yesterday having a go against my G410 LST. 

425 is fine, but I think I prefer the look / sound / feel of 410.  Kind of a bummer as I was most excited about it. 

SIM2 is pretty great.  It’s different from SIM - different look, feel and shape as well.  I never played a SIM but between them I preferred v2.  Hit some awesome shots with it, but I’d miss being able to tinker with adjustability. 

Tsi3 - sweet sassy molasses which a club.  Awesome look, incredible feel, top marks in launch and spin for me.  I’ve never played a Titleist driver but this one came home with me.  The hype is deserved. 

Tsi3 > 410 > SIM2 > SIM > 425.  

YRMV

Cool.  Good to hear you found a standout.  I too just tested the G425MAX and SFT against my G410P.  Neither moved the needle and, in fact, having had a second session with a LM, now wondering if the KBS TD Tour shaft upgrade is worth it... at least at retail price.  

Cool.  Good to hear you found a standout.  I too just tested the G425MAX and SFT against my G410P.  Neither moved the needle and, in fact, having had a second session with a LM, now wondering if the KBS TD Tour shaft upgrade is worth it... at least at retail price.  

Tell me more about the numbers. I love my 410 SFT and want to get another driver so I don't have to schlep my clubs up north and then back down again to Fl every winter. Performance is obviously critical but oddly enough so is sound. I can tell from the sound whether I het it well - helps keep my head down.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Tell me more about the numbers. I love my 410 SFT and want to get another driver so I don't have to schlep my clubs up north and then back down again to Fl every winter. Performance is obviously critical but oddly enough so is sound. I can tell from the sound whether I het it well - helps keep my head down.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Tony, my numbers are better with both the G410 and G425 switching from the Alta CB to the KBS shaft; almost +10 yards in the first session last month and +6 yards this past week.  Dispersion is a bit better as well. I just wasn't hitting the driver well at session #2.  The KBS shaft is better but not $375 better.

The numbers between my G410P and both the G425MAX and SFT on the KBS shaft were very close - within a yard of each other.  The MAX had an avg. 2434/995R total and side spin, the SFT 2773/111R.  I think that is the intended design of the SFT - aide those you tend to fight excessive left to right ball flight. I play my G410P with the heel weight in the draw position (so pretty much SFT).  As for sound, they all seemed very similar, but I'm not much of a sound guy when it comes to assessing clubs or shot quality.

You should try the G425 out and see if any of the model options are an improvement.  Looks like a shaft change is where I'll get distance gain. YMMV.

8 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Tony, my numbers are better with both the G410 and G425 switching from the Alta CB to the KBS shaft; almost +10 yards in the first session last month and +6 yards this past week.  Dispersion is a bit better as well. I just wasn't hitting the driver well at session #2.  The KBS shaft is better but not $375 better.

The numbers between my G410P and both the G425MAX and SFT on the KBS shaft were very close - within a yard of each other.  The MAX had an avg. 2434/995R total and side spin, the SFT 2773/111R.  I think that is the intended design of the SFT - aide those you tend to fight excessive left to right ball flight. I play my G410P with the heel weight in the draw position (so pretty much SFT).  As for sound, they all seemed very similar, but I'm not much of a sound guy when it comes to assessing clubs or shot quality.

You should try the G425 out and see if any of the model options are an improvement.  Looks like a shaft change is where I'll get distance gain. YMMV.

I'll have to do that, especially with the Tensei AV Orange shaft option. I currently have both an Alta 55 and a 65 shaft for my 410, but absolutely love the Tensei Blue in my 410 hybrids. If the orange in the driver is anything like my blue, I'd get it in a heartbeat. My wife and I are headed to PGASS either today or tomorrow since it's going to be too cold to play here so I may be spending some extra time and $$ there. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

54 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I'll have to do that, especially with the Tensei AV Orange shaft option. I currently have both an Alta 55 and a 65 shaft for my 410, but absolutely love the Tensei Blue in my 410 hybrids. If the orange in the driver is anything like my blue, I'd get it in a heartbeat. My wife and I are headed to PGASS either today or tomorrow since it's going to be too cold to play here so I may be spending some extra time and $$ there. 

I've not tried those Tensei shafts. That's the one thing about Truespec I don't like... that they do not carry many of the OEM standard and upgrade shafts. My driver ss/bs is 92/130 and I'm guessing our numbers aren't too far apart.  I think the PING cart at the pro shop near me has those shafts - will try them.