Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

TPE filled iron heads

Would anyone know if the thermoplastic polymer that is injection molded into hollow bodied iron heads change properties in colder weather. I've been trying to find out but the internet has failed me. I have noticed a sound change and a slight distance reduction when I played golf in the 40 degree temperature range. 

Does this material lose some of its rebound tendencies? I know it is more to deaden the sound but it does have elastic properties allowing for thinner club faces.

Is it getting firmer as it gets colder? I know colder air reduces ball flight as well.

Or it could have been possible that I had an active imagination that day?  But I'm sure there is some data out there.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Also cold had a affect on the ball, a cold ball does not compress as well as a warm ball. In the olden days of the early 2000’s we used to play the Precept Lady ball when it got cold. Felt better and flew very similar to the ball you would play in warmer weather. Try a softer ball when it gets colder out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

And for the original question I am not sure the iron heads have much to do with it. The top end of my bag is PXG Gen 3T and I don’t see any real difference in the cold when I switch the ball out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Would anyone know if the thermoplastic polymer that is injection molded into hollow bodied iron heads change properties in colder weather. I've been trying to find out but the internet has failed me. I have noticed a sound change and a slight distance reduction when I played golf in the 40 degree temperature range. 
Does this material lose some of its rebound tendencies? I know it is more to deaden the sound but it does have elastic properties allowing for thinner club faces.
Is it getting firmer as it gets colder? I know colder air reduces ball flight as well.
Or it could have been possible that I had an active imagination that day?  But I'm sure there is some data out there.

I actually am an expert in TPE, it’s a common material used in prosthetics. So to answer your question, yes. But the same goes for all materials in cold weather. The steel used in irons, titanium, urethane, etc... the colder temperatures reduce the responsiveness of the materials ( the molecules are moving slower in colder temps). Essentially the materials don’t flex and respond as quickly so the transfer of energy is less and you get less speed. The lower your swing speed the more the is exasperated. The tpe is less affected by the temperature so that’s not where you’re loosing the distance. It’s more a factor of the face not flexing as much. The more the club is engineered the more effect the temperature will have on it. That is why you don’t see the professionals having as much issue with temperature as us mere mortals. Hope that helps. It’s a bit of a rant but I love this nerdy stuff. Simple physics and molecular chemistry really 🤪

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

1 hour ago, twyatt700 said:

I actually am an expert in TPE, it’s a common material used in prosthetics. So to answer your question, yes. But the same goes for all materials in cold weather. The steel used in irons, titanium, urethane, etc... the colder temperatures reduce the responsiveness of the materials ( the molecules are moving slower in colder temps). Essentially the materials don’t flex and respond as quickly so the transfer of energy is less and you get less speed. The lower your swing speed the more the is exasperated. The tpe is less affected by the temperature so that’s not where you’re loosing the distance. It’s more a factor of the face not flexing as much. The more the club is engineered the more effect the temperature will have on it. That is why you don’t see the professionals having as much issue with temperature as us mere mortals. Hope that helps. It’s a bit of a rant but I love this nerdy stuff. Simple physics and molecular chemistry really emoji6.png🤪

Well that explains it. Or should I say gives me an excuse.  It just didn't feel or sound right. I usually don't play when it gets down near 40 degrees so it won't be much of an issue.  Thanks for the information.

My brother in law made prosthetics and braces. He recently retired. But I remember he made the back brace and other requirements for Christopher Reeve (Superman) after he broke his back after being thrown from a horse many years ago.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Well that explains it. Or should I say gives me an excuse.  It just didn't feel or sound right. I usually don't play when it gets down near 40 degrees so it won't be much of an issue.  Thanks for the information.
My brother in law made prosthetics and braces. He recently retired. But I remember he made the back brace and other requirements for Christopher Reeve (Superman) after he broke his back after being thrown from a horse many years ago.  

That’s pretty cool! I do the same thing, many years from retirement though! But yeah hope that settles your concern!

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>