TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson Staff "Raw" Ball

fixyurdivot

https://mygolfspy.com/wilson-staff-model-r-raw-golf-ball/

"When paint isn’t perfect, it can be the difference between hitting or missing the green on a 200-yard shot. When paint is poor, it can be the difference between dry land and the Pacific Ocean on #4 at Torrey Pines South."

RU buying it?  Have we entered the proverbial "picking the fly-stuff out of the pepper" as it pertains to effect on performance?  Clearly this warrants some unbiased Official MGS Forum Testing. 👍

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Not for nothing, here are some pix of the ball after my last round. Didn't wash it, obviously. This is after the last 3 holes.

IMG_1358.JPG

62680864787__7A73B4EC-43AD-44BE-A0CE-6CB5C8B5304B.JPG

62680863095__70BCA550-4ABA-4E45-B518-66D2752A1DA4.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Wow! My OCD cleanliness gene would go into hyper-state 😆.

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Played this ball for my last few rounds before hanging it up for the season. I've had a spin-o-rama driver swing late in the season and not for nothing, I did find more fairways while gaming these. How much of that is me and how much is the ball is open for debate, but I do like the ball. It spins like a Bas***d on the green.

And it sure as heck does pick up dirt during normal play. After two holes is was pretty messed up - much like a matte finish ball would be - but it cleans up in the ball washer way better than a matte finish ball does. 

I'll give Wilson credit - they're trying something different and as Tony mentioned, when you're a challenger brand trying to carve out incremental sales increases, different is good. Wilson, IMO, doesn't get quite enough credit for what you might call "outside the box" thinking. Power holes are a perfect example - I can remember when they were first introduced the blog comments were brutal, but they've been refined and improved and ultimately led to the D7 Forged winning this year's Most Wanted Players Distance Iron. And say what you will about Driver vs. Driver, it did the job Wilson wanted it to do - it was a two-season branding exercise that got more people talking about Wilson Staff. 

Personally, I'm anxious to try the new Staff Model CB's and am especially anxious to see how they follow-up the D7 irons and metal woods. 

To add to the iron side, C300 forged were consistently good performers in a number of MW tests.  

Credit where it is due, Wilson is sticking their necks out to innovate. For their sake I hope they don’t have to pay the innovators fee to reap all the cost when the second/third guy follows up and keeps the spoils.  

I thought I saw Gary Woodland playing what looked like a Wilson ball at the Masters.  It seemed like he had a touch more spin than his opponents on Thursday—I wonder if he was playing this ball? 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

In my testing of the D7s, I had a hard time getting enough spin into greens. Now I'm wondering if this ball would pair nicely with those and create a very gameable combination 😎

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I find what Wilson's doing extremely interesting! I'm tempted to back their R&D with some coin of my own, but my current budgetary constraints have me bouncing around the DTC/cheaper ball options for now.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

24 minutes ago, greggarner said:

In my testing of the D7s, I had a hard time getting enough spin into greens. Now I'm wondering if this ball would pair nicely with those and create a very gameable combination 😎

One way to find out 😉

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

I've never played the Staff ball, the highest W/S ball I've tried was the Duo Pro, so it'd be interesting to see how these go. The primary course I play on is fairly wet, even during dry spells, so I'd be interested to see how the ball's cover fared in those conditions.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

So we've heard Tony say on several occasions that matte finishes are no bueno - that they are distance killers.  Any of you that have played these noticed any loss in yardage?  

1 hour ago, greggarner said:

Word has it the D7's only reach terminal performance when played with these balls 😁

So we've heard Tony say on several occasions that matte finishes are no bueno - that they are distance killers.  Any of you that have played these noticed any loss in yardage?  

He mentions this in a response to a comment:

It’s important to note that this isn’t a matte white ball like Vice and others have used in the past. It’s an unfinished ball, which isn’t the same.

He goes on to say that they need to be tested to gather data

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, 03trdblack said:

$50 usd for balls made by Foremost in Taiwan... LOL. I'd just buy the direct to consumer balls that tested well. 

It may or may not matter, but the correct price for these is $44.99/dozen. 

I'm not one to think the only way to sell these in quantity would be to cut the price. If that were, in fact, the case, then Srixon at $39,.99/dozen should be far and away the number one selling ball in golf. It's a really good ball and a lot less expensive than the ProV1.  I don't think Wilson would sell much more at a lower price - and for as much as we golfers squawk about price, the fact the ProV is the top selling ball by a lot tells me 8 bucks a dozen isn't a deal killer if that's the ball you want. 

Again, I've tried these - I'd have no problem playing them. Just make sure you hit the ball washer every couple of holes. 😉

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Definitely peak my interest. Good article and glad to see some first hand experience with them as well. Not sure I will go out of the way to buy them, but if i see them here I'll definitely look into a sleeve to see how they are performing for me.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

One way to find out 😉

Great! The mods already have my shipping address, so I look forward to the white boxes in 3-5 days and I can get the review up by Christmas 🤣

Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)

Tested:

55 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

It may or may not matter, but the correct price for these is $44.99/dozen. 

I'm not one to think the only way to sell these in quantity would be to cut the price. If that were, in fact, the case, then Srixon at $39,.99/dozen should be far and away the number one selling ball in golf. It's a really good ball and a lot less expensive than the ProV1.  I don't think Wilson would sell much more at a lower price - and for as much as we golfers squawk about price, the fact the ProV is the top selling ball by a lot tells me 8 bucks a dozen isn't a deal killer if that's the ball you want. 

Again, I've tried these - I'd have no problem playing them. Just make sure you hit the ball washer every couple of holes. 😉

They were listed on the Wilson website this morning at $49.99 but they must have changed that since.  Either way, it doesn't matter.  Titleist has EARNED the ability to charge that price for their balls over time, whether from marketing, quality, tour pay, whatever.  Same with the other equipment companies that have joined the premium ball market.  Wilson has fallen back and doesn't have many of the older generation around to remember any of the history to prop up any new products.  They have the stained image of a box set, Walmart brand and need to slowly build that back up...which they are doing but at a snails pace.  

Wilson is essentially irrelevant in the golf world and until they start putting some serious company weight behind golf, they can't be expected to compete at the price point of the industry leaders.  They made this exact same mistake with their drivers.  Their irons are fantastic yet they are priced below a lot of the other companies offerings this year at $999.  If they know they can't compete on price with their only real competitive product, how do they think they can on everything else? 

$500 for a Cortex driver....it collected dust.  Yes, I read the MGS article about the driver and they said that selling a lot wasn't their goal yada yada but what other benefit did they gain by having an overpriced driver sit on shelves?  Same with the ball.  They have limited shelf space as is in any given store and now they're asking to charge the same price as the kings of the ball industry?  No one is going to give them a second look unless you're just a Wilson die hard which really just don't exist.  I get the idea behind the no paint but wouldn't that REDUCE a manufacturing cost also? 

On a final note, who around here, seriously, is going to play a ball that looks like a dingy range ball after 2 holes of golf?  It's hard enough keeping a regular ball clean.  I could never look down at a ball that is that discolored and scuffed up looking even if it's technically playable.  

My bag is a revolving door!

I genuinely don't understand the irrational ire against W/S by some people. Like the myth of them being a "WalMart brand" - there's no truth to that yet I keep seeing people post that on forums. I think the only reason that continues is because people keep saying it... yet constantly saying something doesn't actually make it true.

Folks complain that they're irrelevant in the golf world... despite numerous awards and accolades from places like MGS. "Well they don't do anything!" W/S comes out with power holes "Those are dumb! Stupid!". W/S launches DvD "That's a dumb idea! Stupid!". W/S launches some different balls "That's dumb and dirty! Stupid!".

I will freely admit that their marketing as of late has not been good. It's too sporadic and there's no solid brand messaging that continues year after year. But you can't complain that they're a do-nothing has-been brand when they continually come out with new products. For some people, W/S is in a no-win situation. If they stand pat, they're irrelevant. If they innovate, they should stand behind their history and just release blades.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On the price: I'd put this in the same category as the Titleist CNCPT irons. OEMs have found that some people are willing to spend extra on limited run R&D projects. It's basically taking the opposite approach of Bridgestone's White Box ball testing: instead of sending them out at a discount, why not charge a premium to a buyer who simply wants something that's hard to get ahold of?

From that perspective, Wilson charging $50 for their limited run ball would likely be similar to (I imagine) Titleist charging $70 for an equivalent project.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Wow! My OCD cleanliness gene would go into hyper-state 😆.

Me too!

3 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

$50 $44.99 usd for balls made by Foremost in Taiwan... LOL. I'd just buy the direct to consumer balls that tested well. 

I buy a dozen Pro V1's once a year or so, but if I'm going to spend up from my usual Snell MTB, it won't be $44.99 USD for a ball that looks like it was lost in a swamp for a couple years after every hole. It could be quite a while before we have ball washers again. YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

5 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Not for nothing, here are some pix of the ball after my last round. Didn't wash it, obviously. This is after the last 3 holes.

IMG_1358.JPG

mmmmmmmmmmm, patina. My wife would pay good money for that.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I would like to publicly apologize to my family for golfing so much

42 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I will freely admit that their marketing as of late has not been good. It's too sporadic and there's no solid brand messaging that continues year after year.

Like a few days ago when they really drummed up their 'one-day sale, up to 50% off' and there were literally 7 products on sale and none of them were current-gen?

I was geared up to buy a utility iron, some wedges, maybe even some balls but my options were a $350 driver, some women's clubs, and a hat. 😑

Tested:

I've purchased a couple dozen of the Wilson Staff balls this year and it is a really good ball. The reason I don't buy more is because they are sold out about every time I go to buy more. I'll bet that will be the case with this ball as well.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

31 minutes ago, Shankster said:

are they really sold out already?  That is insane.

I don't think so.  They are still available here:

https://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/balls/staff-model-r-golf-balls

There is an error on the website, from the product listing they have a $49.99 price; but on the specific product page for the raw ball and when added to cart they show the correct $44.99 price.

Gameday

Classic Bag

Good points John, but if I remember correctly, they completely changed their tour ball for the past 3 editions.

I think a little consistency in the ball would help sales even more, the FG Tour’s were great balls.  Just my 2 cents.... that 2015 FG tour ball.. 💵 

If you look at the top sellers, they change very little year to year... again, I might be missing something.