TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson Staff "Raw" Ball

fixyurdivot

27 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

I think "their marketing is awful" has been repeated often enough in this thread - and I agree their marketing is sloppy at times. The Baller Box idea, I think, was basically sound but very badly executed, and they had a mixup - that was rectified right away, over the initial pricing of both the Staff Model and Staff Model Raw balls. They did have one of the very best young social media people in Corey Holloway, but he left for a plumb gig at FootJoy earlier this year. That's not sloppy, but maybe more of a financial reality.

So, in the spirit of real info vs. platitudes, what in your opinion are examples of awful marketing? And what specifically would you do to improve it? 

I ask out of genuine curiosity, and there are some parameters here. You can't just say "it sucks and they need to do better" or "they need to spend more money." Wilson spends about 3% of its annual sales on marketing, the same as Callaway, Titleist and pretty much every other company in golf - it's just that 3% of maybe $130 million is a much, much smaller number than 3% of $1.3 billion. 

If you were in charge of Wilson Golf marketing, what's your specific 5-point plan, and what's the ultimate goal? Where will you be in Year 1, Year 5 and Year 10? 

This could be an interesting exercise...commence to thinking GolfSpies - let's see what you got. 

Great post John, and thanks for pointing out the amount spent on marketing, I'd hazard to guess the majority of us are a bit surprised to hear they spend the same percent of revenue as the larger companies on marketing, it's just based on a lot less sales. 

If I was made Chief Marketing Officer today, here's my plan.   I might be fired in a month, but here's what I'd attempt.

1) Get creative in anyway I can to sign a young premier name.  Not Tiger premier, but maybe a Hovland, Wolf or someone in that realm if I could.  Maybe take a chance on one of the Big Am's about to sign,  Andy Olgetree or Mason Green--if he goes pro--not sure if he is.    Get them at a price that would be less than the others and hope they do something big soon.  Or then maybe a Tour Vet that is trust worthy and known among people as a good guy and good player, a Kuchar or some one like that.  

Ok, knowing their PGA player stable is limited, we'll leave that there.   

2) I don't know all the deals and promises that have to be made to get space in the major stores, but get the clubs in front of the buying public.,  Get an eye catching display at PGASS and Golf Galaxy.   I would say are you able to get in the drawers of the top fitters like TXG, True Spec and Club Champion.   I suspect however, someone paying $300 for a fitting, may resist a bit at the thought of walking out of their with a set of Wilson D7 Forged, again fighting that stereotype is going to be the biggest challenge. 

3) Take advantage of the "Free Marketing" of the forum verse, ramp up what you are doing with MGS, WRX etc.  As for other SM exposure, it's tough to get on with a YT reviewer as they are supposed to be unbiased right?   But maybe an YT instructor or celebrity ambassador.  Also their IG and Twitter game could use a whole reset.  But that's probably a 5 part plan in of itself.

4) Start a retail fitting/tech van program, take the money that will be saved from exhibiting at the PGA Show this year, and hit the road.  Have your Reps and Tech reps hit every possible demo day and equip their vans with more than a 10.5 driver with the two stock shafts.   This ties into No. 2, but get the clubs in front of the everyday buying public.

5) Spend whatever is left or whatever you can, on more presence during PGA broadcast with your BEST product that will bring the best ROI.  I that the Staff Model Ball, The CB's or the D9/D9 Forged...whichever it is, ride that pony to the last penny.  

Ok, feel free to pass that on to L², and tell her I work for product 🙂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

So, after doing some more watching of stuff on YT about this ball, I think it's gonna be ordered, but I also think I'm going to order some of the regular Staff Model as well. Part of me also hopes that Tony might fast track Ball Lab data here since there seems to be a buzz, which would make me feel better about diving in for nearly 4 dozen.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

58 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I would say are you able to get in the drawers of the top fitters like TXG, True Spec and Club Champion.   I suspect however, someone paying $300 for a fitting, may resist a bit at the thought of walking out of their with a set of Wilson D7 Forged, again fighting that stereotype is going to be the biggest challenge.

I know CC lists them among the brands they offer, but not TrueSpec.  This has actually got me on the fence about going to TS which, at this point, has been my preference.  I cannot speak for others, but if the D7's are best performing, I would not have any hesitation about bagging them.  I may just take the fitting data and contact Wilson directly about club build - perhaps buy a 6i to spec and test hit??

As a lifelong value/best bang-for-the buck guy, I'd be thrilled to spend less and get more.  I might have to get past those "power slots" 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

18 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

As a lifelong value/best bang-for-the buck guy, I'd be thrilled to spend less and get more.  I might have to get past those "power slots" 🙂.

I'm getting used to them. I still don't like them, but they aren't occupying nearly as much mental real estate as they were two months ago. I've also wondered about taping over them... 😉

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Say what you want about Wilson Staff. As a 70 year old golfer who has played the game for 62 years, I proudly play the D-7 irons along with the “Professional” ball and occasionally the Triton driver. This equipment is keeping me in line as I age. I like Wilson Staff!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

12 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I may just take the fitting data and contact Wilson directly about club build - perhaps buy a 6i to spec and test hit??

This is basically what I did, although I went to a CC so I could hit a real, live D7 Forged.  And the fact that I'm still bagging them after the review shows that I'm still loving them.  Power holes and all.

@Golfspy_CG2 pretty much said this, but use forum testing to put clubs in the hands of people who will write about them and talk about them.  I've let five or six people hit my D7s so far.  No one ran out and bought them, but they'll all give Wilson a little more consideration when they're buying their next set.

I think Mizuno would be an interesting comp for them.  Why is Mizuno revered while Wilson fights for credibility?

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

1 minute ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Why is Mizuno revered while Wilson fights for credibility?

Butta vs. Margarine? 😆

11 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Butta vs. Margarine? 😆

I'll give you the LOLz, for sure, but I'll put the D7 Forged up against all comers.  And I loved my MX-200s, so I have the utmost respect for Mizuno.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

31 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I'll give you the LOLz, for sure, but I'll put the D7 Forged up against all comers.  And I loved my MX-200s, so I have the utmost respect for Mizuno.

I've only hit Mizunos once during the fitting I chose the G410's. They were a very close second.  But they were a wee bit shorter and had slightly worse dispersion... so it wasn't purely PING chemistry.  I'm wide open to just about anything that shows a significant shift in performance.  I openly admit I am a little aesthetic sensitive, so any clubs that only their mother could love need not apply 😆.

7 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Butta vs. Margarine? 😆

I hit the V6 vs the MP18 line...

It was like top shelf butter vs top shelf butter.  Like then $10 a pound butter.  Just have to choose which one you liked better.  Both had sat at room temp for a while.

At the end of the day, the butter with the more attractive name/packing will get picked over the butter that has been around for a long rime, won 63 butter championships, helped bake many pies, thanksgiving turkeys, and mixed with the wonder bread.

it is unfortunate, and probably unfair that this happens to such good butter. But they are heading in the right direction. Their products have slowly been getting better and better since I’ve started golfing again.  

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

I hit the V6 vs the MP18 line...

It was like top shelf butter vs top shelf butter.  Like then $10 a pound butter.  Just have to choose which one you liked better.  Both had sat at room temp for a while.

At the end of the day, the butter with the more attractive name/packing will get picked over the butter that has been around for a long rime, won 63 butter championships, helped bake many pies, thanksgiving turkeys, and mixed with the wonder bread.

it is unfortunate, and probably unfair that this happens to such good butter. But they are heading in the right direction. Their products have slowly been getting better and better since I’ve started golfing again.  

I had the V6 two years ago, they are/were as good of feeling iron as any Mizuno or other forged club I've hit.  I mean absolutely perfect feeing.  The issue was me, I wasn't able to hit the smaller sweet spot as often as needed for that iron.  But if I was say a 5 or 6 handicap, they would have never left my possession! 

Being a D7 player, if you don’t like the look from the sole, put the club down and address a ball.   It goes from visible modern tech to a gorgeous classic styled iron.  I used to think the same things that you hear endlessly—cheap quality, box set, won’t do what my Cally, Titleist, TMag, etc. will do, that’s a toy not a golf club, Walmart, the list continues...

After a year, if I wasn’t a club hoe, these irons would be in the you’re not dragging these out of my cold dead hands category. 

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I had the V6 two years ago, they are/were as good of feeling iron as any Mizuno or other forged club I've hit.  I mean absolutely perfect feeing.  The issue was me, I wasn't able to hit the smaller sweet spot as often as needed for that iron.  But if I was say a 5 or 6 handicap, they would have never left my possession! 

So you’re saying there’s a chance you’ll have the CBs? 😁

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Great, just great!  Now this thread has me contemplating not only the D7 Forged, but the D9 and the CB Staff Model after the first of the year.   How's that for having every club category covered 🤪

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Great, just great!  Now this thread has me contemplating not only the D7 Forged, but the D9 and the CB Staff Model after the first of the year.   How's that for having every club category covered 🤪

Do you mind picking one of those up in left handed...you know just to see if they are the same as the right handed twins?  Asking for a friend.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO