Wilson Staff "Raw" Ball

Our Sponsors

https://mygolfspy.com/wilson-staff-model-r-raw-golf-ball/

"When paint isn’t perfect, it can be the difference between hitting or missing the green on a 200-yard shot. When paint is poor, it can be the difference between dry land and the Pacific Ocean on #4 at Torrey Pines South."

RU buying it?  Have we entered the proverbial "picking the fly-stuff out of the pepper" as it pertains to effect on performance?  Clearly this warrants some unbiased Official MGS Forum Testing. 👍

• Like 5

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Played this ball for my last few rounds before hanging it up for the season. I've had a spin-o-rama driver swing late in the season and not for nothing, I did find more fairways while gaming these. Ho

I too have played this ball off and on for the past month.   I haven't been able to say anything about it until now. My thoughts are very similar to Barbs.  With a couple exceptions. It s

I tend to agree with you @russtopherb - damned if you do, damned if you don't. The boxed set-Wal Mart stuff is utter nonsense and an eminently lazy take. Yeah, when PepsiCo owned Wilson they did Pepsi

Posted Images

Not for nothing, here are some pix of the ball after my last round. Didn't wash it, obviously. This is after the last 3 holes.

IMG_1358.JPG

62680864787__7A73B4EC-43AD-44BE-A0CE-6CB5C8B5304B.JPG

62680863095__70BCA550-4ABA-4E45-B518-66D2752A1DA4.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Wow! My OCD cleanliness gene would go into hyper-state 😆.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Played this ball for my last few rounds before hanging it up for the season. I've had a spin-o-rama driver swing late in the season and not for nothing, I did find more fairways while gaming these. How much of that is me and how much is the ball is open for debate, but I do like the ball. It spins like a Bas***d on the green.

And it sure as heck does pick up dirt during normal play. After two holes is was pretty messed up - much like a matte finish ball would be - but it cleans up in the ball washer way better than a matte finish ball does. 

I'll give Wilson credit - they're trying something different and as Tony mentioned, when you're a challenger brand trying to carve out incremental sales increases, different is good. Wilson, IMO, doesn't get quite enough credit for what you might call "outside the box" thinking. Power holes are a perfect example - I can remember when they were first introduced the blog comments were brutal, but they've been refined and improved and ultimately led to the D7 Forged winning this year's Most Wanted Players Distance Iron. And say what you will about Driver vs. Driver, it did the job Wilson wanted it to do - it was a two-season branding exercise that got more people talking about Wilson Staff. 

Personally, I'm anxious to try the new Staff Model CB's and am especially anxious to see how they follow-up the D7 irons and metal woods. 

To add to the iron side, C300 forged were consistently good performers in a number of MW tests.  

Credit where it is due, Wilson is sticking their necks out to innovate. For their sake I hope they don’t have to pay the innovators fee to reap all the cost when the second/third guy follows up and keeps the spoils.  

I thought I saw Gary Woodland playing what looked like a Wilson ball at the Masters.  It seemed like he had a touch more spin than his opponents on Thursday—I wonder if he was playing this ball? 

• Like 3

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

In my testing of the D7s, I had a hard time getting enough spin into greens. Now I'm wondering if this ball would pair nicely with those and create a very gameable combination 😎

• Like 5

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95cw Stiff
Wet/Soft: 3i-PW
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged, KBS Tour-V 110S
Hard/Fast: 4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S

50*, 54*, 60* :vokey-small: SM7 TT DG S200
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV (but I'm not just going to leave a perfectly good ProV1/x laying around...)
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review

I find what Wilson's doing extremely interesting! I'm tempted to back their R&D with some coin of my own, but my current budgetary constraints have me bouncing around the DTC/cheaper ball options for now.

• Like 2

Right Handed

Driver (9°): :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

FW (15°): :callaway-logo-1: X2 Hot (Aldila Tour Green 75 Tx Stiff shaft)

Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons (PW-4)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

Wedges (50°, 54° & 58°) post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour OR TP5X

24 minutes ago, greggarner said:

In my testing of the D7s, I had a hard time getting enough spin into greens. Now I'm wondering if this ball would pair nicely with those and create a very gameable combination 😎

One way to find out 😉

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

I've never played the Staff ball, the highest W/S ball I've tried was the Duo Pro, so it'd be interesting to see how these go. The primary course I play on is fairly wet, even during dry spells, so I'd be interested to see how the ball's cover fared in those conditions.

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

So we've heard Tony say on several occasions that matte finishes are no bueno - that they are distance killers.  Any of you that have played these noticed any loss in yardage?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, greggarner said:

Word has it the D7's only reach terminal performance when played with these balls 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So we've heard Tony say on several occasions that matte finishes are no bueno - that they are distance killers.  Any of you that have played these noticed any loss in yardage?  

He mentions this in a response to a comment:

It’s important to note that this isn’t a matte white ball like Vice and others have used in the past. It’s an unfinished ball, which isn’t the same.

He goes on to say that they need to be tested to gather data
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, 03trdblack said:

$50 usd for balls made by Foremost in Taiwan... LOL. I'd just buy the direct to consumer balls that tested well. 

It may or may not matter, but the correct price for these is $44.99/dozen. 

I'm not one to think the only way to sell these in quantity would be to cut the price. If that were, in fact, the case, then Srixon at $39,.99/dozen should be far and away the number one selling ball in golf. It's a really good ball and a lot less expensive than the ProV1.  I don't think Wilson would sell much more at a lower price - and for as much as we golfers squawk about price, the fact the ProV is the top selling ball by a lot tells me 8 bucks a dozen isn't a deal killer if that's the ball you want. 

Again, I've tried these - I'd have no problem playing them. Just make sure you hit the ball washer every couple of holes. 😉

• Like 5

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Definitely peak my interest. Good article and glad to see some first hand experience with them as well. Not sure I will go out of the way to buy them, but if i see them here I'll definitely look into a sleeve to see how they are performing for me.

• Like 1

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

3 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

One way to find out 😉

Great! The mods already have my shipping address, so I look forward to the white boxes in 3-5 days and I can get the review up by Christmas 🤣

• Haha 3

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95cw Stiff
Wet/Soft: 3i-PW
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged, KBS Tour-V 110S
Hard/Fast: 4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S

50*, 54*, 60* :vokey-small: SM7 TT DG S200
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV (but I'm not just going to leave a perfectly good ProV1/x laying around...)
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review

55 minutes ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

It may or may not matter, but the correct price for these is $44.99/dozen. 

I'm not one to think the only way to sell these in quantity would be to cut the price. If that were, in fact, the case, then Srixon at $39,.99/dozen should be far and away the number one selling ball in golf. It's a really good ball and a lot less expensive than the ProV1.  I don't think Wilson would sell much more at a lower price - and for as much as we golfers squawk about price, the fact the ProV is the top selling ball by a lot tells me 8 bucks a dozen isn't a deal killer if that's the ball you want. 

Again, I've tried these - I'd have no problem playing them. Just make sure you hit the ball washer every couple of holes. 😉

They were listed on the Wilson website this morning at $49.99 but they must have changed that since.  Either way, it doesn't matter.  Titleist has EARNED the ability to charge that price for their balls over time, whether from marketing, quality, tour pay, whatever.  Same with the other equipment companies that have joined the premium ball market.  Wilson has fallen back and doesn't have many of the older generation around to remember any of the history to prop up any new products.  They have the stained image of a box set, Walmart brand and need to slowly build that back up...which they are doing but at a snails pace.  

Wilson is essentially irrelevant in the golf world and until they start putting some serious company weight behind golf, they can't be expected to compete at the price point of the industry leaders.  They made this exact same mistake with their drivers.  Their irons are fantastic yet they are priced below a lot of the other companies offerings this year at $999.  If they know they can't compete on price with their only real competitive product, how do they think they can on everything else? 

$500 for a Cortex driver....it collected dust.  Yes, I read the MGS article about the driver and they said that selling a lot wasn't their goal yada yada but what other benefit did they gain by having an overpriced driver sit on shelves?  Same with the ball.  They have limited shelf space as is in any given store and now they're asking to charge the same price as the kings of the ball industry?  No one is going to give them a second look unless you're just a Wilson die hard which really just don't exist.  I get the idea behind the no paint but wouldn't that REDUCE a manufacturing cost also? 

On a final note, who around here, seriously, is going to play a ball that looks like a dingy range ball after 2 holes of golf?  It's hard enough keeping a regular ball clean.  I could never look down at a ball that is that discolored and scuffed up looking even if it's technically playable.  

• Like 1

My bag is a revolving door!