Jump to content

Which shaft for my new TM P790 irons?


Mavrix
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

I just found this forum and thought it would be good to get some hints about my shaft decision. 
I'm in front of ordering a new P790 TM iron set... in my local pro shop. I already tried the iron 7 of them with a True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS, Flex-R, 102g shaft.... and it was very confident compared to my graphite shaft in my JPX 919 forged irons (Project X LZ, R-flex, 4.5, 79g)... 

My local guy told me now I should go for a Nippon Steel Pro 950 GH NEO, R-Flex, 94.5gr shaft, -1" inch and 1°flat.
What do you think about this? 

My club speed is the following (one week ago I did a TrackMan session): 
- Current JPX 919 forged approx. 72 - 73mph
- Tested iron 7 with the above mentioned True Temper Gold was approx. 74 - 78mph

I did now a bit a research and found out that the 950 GH R is recommended for club speeds from 65-70mph...

And in the end I'm now completley confused 😏

May you have some good ideas, recommendations or suggestions for me! 

Cheers,
Mavrix

Edited by Mavrix
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Mavrix changed the title to Which shaft for my new TM P790 irons?

The best thing to do is find a shop that does a fitting and buy what they fit you for.

Swing speed while important is only one of many factors and definitely not the top of the list into what shaft a person should get.

Flex has no industry standard and some graphite shafts can play and feel stiffer than some steel shafts. Shafts will load and feel different for people at the same speed based on how they swing the club.

Spin, descent/land angle, peak height are also jeep factors into what’s best.

Do you have any of your data other than speed comparing your clubs with the p790s from your trackman session?

  • Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weight and flex is an important piece, but how you deliver the club dictates a lot more. So if you have a smooth tempo with a relaxed transition, the lighter shafts might be just what the doctor ordered!

  • Like 1

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agreed with the other posters here before me.....don't lean entirely on your swing speed as the factor for selecting your iron shaft.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: XR16 10.5* (set to 9.5*), MRC KuroKage TiNi Black, S-flex

3 wood:  :ping-small: G410, Alta 65 S-flex

Hybrids:  :ping-small: G400 19* & 22*, Alta CB 70 S-flex

Irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX-900 5-GW, Proj X LZ 6.0

Wedges:  :titelist-small: SM7, 54*/S; :callaway-small: MD4, 58*/S

Putter:  :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Black 2.0 #1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys, 

I just came back from my local pro shop... 
I hit a few balls with the iron 7 P790 with the Nippon Steel 950 GH Neo, S-Flex, 98gr.! It was incredible, almost every ball I hit solid straight. But the feel of the shaft was a bit to hard in my hands... 

I think I would go for the R-Flex version from this shaft and stick to the specs. -1" plus 1° FLAT. 

The ball flight was amazing... they started low and after a few meters it went up in the sky! Really cool - I never hat this feeling with my Mizuno Irons in the last two years. 

Any opinions from your side? 

18 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The best thing to do is find a shop that does a fitting and buy what they fit you for.

Swing speed while important is only one of many factors and definitely not the top of the list into what shaft a person should get.

Flex has no industry standard and some graphite shafts can play and feel stiffer than some steel shafts. Shafts will load and feel different for people at the same speed based on how they swing the club.

Spin, descent/land angle, peak height are also jeep factors into what’s best.

Do you have any of your data other than speed comparing your clubs with the p790s from your trackman session?

You asked about more data - for what you're are looking exactly? 

And, does anyone have experiences with the TW wedges? 

Cheers,
Mavrix

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys, 
I just came back from my local pro shop... 
I hit a few balls with the iron 7 P790 with the Nippon Steel 950 GH Neo, S-Flex, 98gr.! It was incredible, almost every ball I hit solid straight. But the feel of the shaft was a bit to hard in my hands... 
I think I would go for the R-Flex version from this shaft and stick to the specs. -1" plus 1° FLAT. 
The ball flight was amazing... they started low and after a few meters it went up in the sky! Really cool - I never hat this feeling with my Mizuno Irons in the last two years. 
Any opinions from your side? 
You asked about more data - for what you're are looking exactly? 
And, does anyone have experiences with the TW wedges? 
Cheers,
Mavrix

This is why you have to hit the shafts. Not sure going from S to R will change the feel. That comes from the profile of the shaft.

While straight is good, data such as swing speed, carry distance, launch angle, descent angle, and spin can help determine if the shafts are a good fit.
  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :mizuno-small: T20 54-8  :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2,

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Mavrix said:

Hey guys, 

I just came back from my local pro shop... 
I hit a few balls with the iron 7 P790 with the Nippon Steel 950 GH Neo, S-Flex, 98gr.! It was incredible, almost every ball I hit solid straight. But the feel of the shaft was a bit to hard in my hands... 

I think I would go for the R-Flex version from this shaft and stick to the specs. -1" plus 1° FLAT. 

The ball flight was amazing... they started low and after a few meters it went up in the sky! Really cool - I never hat this feeling with my Mizuno Irons in the last two years. 

Any opinions from your side? 

You asked about more data - for what you're are looking exactly? 

And, does anyone have experiences with the TW wedges? 

Cheers,
Mavrix

Do you know your

Spin

angle of attack 

peak height

descent angle or land angle depends on the monitor 

 

To determine what shaft and head combo works best for you the comparison between these numbers is what would be used.

As for the TW wedges they are good. They are the same as the mg2 wedges but with tigers specs for low, grind and bounce. If the bounce on the wedges work with a persons  swing then they will be fine but if someone needs less bounce or a different lie angle they probably won’t work. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Mavrix said:

Hi all, 

I just found this forum and thought it would be good to get some hints about my shaft decision. 
I'm in front of ordering a new P790 TM iron set... in my local pro shop. I already tried the iron 7 of them with a True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS, Flex-R, 102g shaft.... and it was very confident compared to my graphite shaft in my JPX 919 forged irons (Project X LZ, R-flex, 4.5, 79g)... 

My local guy told me now I should go for a Nippon Steel Pro 950 GH NEO, R-Flex, 94.5gr shaft, -1" inch and 1°flat.
What do you think about this? 

My club speed is the following (one week ago I did a TrackMan session): 
- Current JPX 919 forged approx. 72 - 73mph
- Tested iron 7 with the above mentioned True Temper Gold was approx. 74 - 78mph

I did now a bit a research and found out that the 950 GH R is recommended for club speeds from 65-70mph...

And in the end I'm now completley confused 😏

May you have some good ideas, recommendations or suggestions for me! 

Cheers,
Mavrix

When you minus an inch the shaft will play a tad stiffer. That might be why the speed doesn't match up. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys, 

today I went to the local golf dealer in Stuttgart / Germany and tried some shafts in the P790.... 
What should I say I ordered now the P790 with the NS 950 GH Neo R-Flex, -1" and 1° Flat. I guess it is a good decision. 

Hitting the balls with this shaft was very amazing. The feeling was very good much better as with the S-Flex. 

Many balls are landed left but my personal opinion is that this is not related to the shaft, it's problem in my swing which I already identified with my pro. I pull the left arm after hitting the ball (means the classical chicken wing :)). I will work on this during the winter! 

But the numbers from carry, total distance, smash, spin and club speed was amazing with the Nippon 950 GH Neo shaft. 

Cheers,
Markus

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mavrix said:

Hey guys, 

today I went to the local golf dealer in Stuttgart / Germany and tried some shafts in the P790.... 
What should I say I ordered now the P790 with the NS 950 GH Neo R-Flex, -1" and 1° Flat. I guess it is a good decision. 

Hitting the balls with this shaft was very amazing. The feeling was very good much better as with the S-Flex. 

Many balls are landed left but my personal opinion is that this is not related to the shaft, it's problem in my swing which I already identified with my pro. I pull the left arm after hitting the ball (means the classical chicken wing :)). I will work on this during the winter! 

But the numbers from carry, total distance, smash, spin and club speed was amazing with the Nippon 950 GH Neo shaft. 

Cheers,
Markus

Did you say you just ordered them?  Were you able to try the shafts out at -1"?  That is pretty significant, would most likely need to be a bit shorter height than average.  If you hit standard length, the 1" short will be significantly different.  Not sure TM is going to adjust swing weight for 1.  They will most likely come in a much heavier swing weight I believe.  

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

3 wood - TM M3 17 deg (set to 15.5 deg and 3 deg open) GD DI 7x

3 Hybrid - TM rocketballz Accra Dymatch S165, 68g, M5 flex (XS)

Irons  (4-5) - Srixon 585s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Irons (6-W) - Srixon 785s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Wedges (51, 56, 60) - Cleveland RTX4 Nippon Modus 125 Wedge Flex

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ejcrossl said:

Did you say you just ordered them?  Were you able to try the shafts out at -1"?  That is pretty significant, would most likely need to be a bit shorter height than average.  If you hit standard length, the 1" short will be significantly different.  Not sure TM is going to adjust swing weight for 1.  They will most likely come in a much heavier swing weight I believe.  

1 inch short will come in at a really light swingweight without adjustment, about -6 swingweight points. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dlow206 said:

1 inch short will come in at a really light swingweight without adjustment, about -6 swingweight points. 

Was trying to rationalize which way it would go.  I let my own experience cloud my best judgement.   A couple years ago I ordered M5s 1/2" long with X flex Modus 120s.  They came in at C7, every single iron.  Sent them back, they remade them.  All at C7 again.  

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

3 wood - TM M3 17 deg (set to 15.5 deg and 3 deg open) GD DI 7x

3 Hybrid - TM rocketballz Accra Dymatch S165, 68g, M5 flex (XS)

Irons  (4-5) - Srixon 585s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Irons (6-W) - Srixon 785s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Wedges (51, 56, 60) - Cleveland RTX4 Nippon Modus 125 Wedge Flex

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ejcrossl said:

Did you say you just ordered them?  Were you able to try the shafts out at -1"?  That is pretty significant, would most likely need to be a bit shorter height than average.  If you hit standard length, the 1" short will be significantly different.  Not sure TM is going to adjust swing weight for 1.  They will most likely come in a much heavier swing weight I believe.  

Unfortunately I were not able to test the shafts with -1"... Now I trust in my local golf dealer from my golfclub he knows me quite a while... He said we will go with the -1" and 1° Flat. Hope this is not a bad decision. At least the personal feel when I hit the balls with the R-Flex shaft and the P790 head was very exicting. It felt really good.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mavrix said:

Unfortunately I were not able to test the shafts with -1"... Now I trust in my local golf dealer from my golfclub he knows me quite a while... He said we will go with the -1" and 1° Flat. Hope this is not a bad decision. At least the personal feel when I hit the balls with the R-Flex shaft and the P790 head was very exicting. It felt really good.... 

Do you mind me asking if you are shorter in height?  When you get them, have the swing weight checked.  You probably tested them out around D2ish (maybe have your tester swing weight checked).  I lost all feel of my irons and didn't know why I all of a sudden hated them when I bought them vs demo'd.  Huge swing weight change.  You may have a club builder up the SW of them, or cheaper go with lead tape.  Going to need a lot of it if it drops 6 SW points.  4 1" pieces usually per SW point. 

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

3 wood - TM M3 17 deg (set to 15.5 deg and 3 deg open) GD DI 7x

3 Hybrid - TM rocketballz Accra Dymatch S165, 68g, M5 flex (XS)

Irons  (4-5) - Srixon 585s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Irons (6-W) - Srixon 785s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Wedges (51, 56, 60) - Cleveland RTX4 Nippon Modus 125 Wedge Flex

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ejcrossl said:

Was trying to rationalize which way it would go.  I let my own experience cloud my best judgement.   A couple years ago I ordered M5s 1/2" long with X flex Modus 120s.  They came in at C7, every single iron.  Sent them back, they remade them.  All at C7 again.  

wow, 1/2" long and they came in at C7? i don't even know how that is possible unless you had some jumbo max x-large grips on there or something.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

wow, 1/2" long and they came in at C7? i don't even know how that is possible unless you had some jumbo max x-large grips on there or something.

Standard black GP.  I posted for months trying to find someone who could answer how it could be possible.  My club reached out to the reps, nothing.  Crickets.  And Modus 120x shafts too.  Something about the combo wasn't measuring up.  Or TMs M5 iron heads have the worst quality tolerances knowing that almost no one playing M5s would know anything about club specs?  I was close to having the shafts pulled and head weights measured.  Only problem is nobody would give me what the optimum design specs were. 

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

3 wood - TM M3 17 deg (set to 15.5 deg and 3 deg open) GD DI 7x

3 Hybrid - TM rocketballz Accra Dymatch S165, 68g, M5 flex (XS)

Irons  (4-5) - Srixon 585s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Irons (6-W) - Srixon 785s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Wedges (51, 56, 60) - Cleveland RTX4 Nippon Modus 125 Wedge Flex

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks all for the feedback here 🙂 It's amazing to get such kind of feedback. 

I only struggle a bit with the 1° FLAT... I'm not sure if this is the right choice because we noticed today that my mizunos are 2° FLAT (7 iron) but the strange thing is that I ordered them with standard lie angle. So and now I'm a bit scared... regarding the lie angle or should I go with standard lie angle? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Mavrix said:

Thanks all for the feedback here 🙂 It's amazing to get such kind of feedback. 

I only struggle a bit with the 1° FLAT... I'm not sure if this is the right choice because we noticed today that my mizunos are 2° FLAT (7 iron) but the strange thing is that I ordered them with standard lie angle. So and now I'm a bit scared... regarding the lie angle or should I go with standard lie angle? 

Like many things in golf there’s no standard lie. The degree flat or up is only relative to that manufacturer when saying what lie one goes with. 
 

Is your pro saying that your Mizunos are 2* flat compared to what the Mizuno lie spec is for those irons or 2* flat compared to the p790 or some other iron?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Like many things in golf there’s no standard lie. The degree flat or up is only relative to that manufacturer when saying what lie one goes with. 
 

Is your pro saying that your Mizunos are 2* flat compared to what the Mizuno lie spec is for those irons or 2* flat compared to the p790 or some other iron?

The 2° flat are compared to the Mizuno lie specs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/17/2020 at 12:58 PM, Mavrix said:

Hi all, 

I just found this forum and thought it would be good to get some hints about my shaft decision. 
I'm in front of ordering a new P790 TM iron set... in my local pro shop. I already tried the iron 7 of them with a True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 VSS, Flex-R, 102g shaft.... and it was very confident compared to my graphite shaft in my JPX 919 forged irons (Project X LZ, R-flex, 4.5, 79g)... 

My local guy told me now I should go for a Nippon Steel Pro 950 GH NEO, R-Flex, 94.5gr shaft, -1" inch and 1°flat.
What do you think about this? 

My club speed is the following (one week ago I did a TrackMan session): 
- Current JPX 919 forged approx. 72 - 73mph
- Tested iron 7 with the above mentioned True Temper Gold was approx. 74 - 78mph

I did now a bit a research and found out that the 950 GH R is recommended for club speeds from 65-70mph...

And in the end I'm now completley confused 😏

May you have some good ideas, recommendations or suggestions for me! 

Cheers,
Mavrix

@Mavrix first welcome! I am a club fitter so I might be able to provide some direction for you.

 

Did your fitter ask any of the following questions?

 

Any time I do a fitting I ask a few questions depending on the situation. Did he ask any of these;

  • What are you looking to gain from this fitting? 
    • I keep in mind and note this answer, but I make it clear that this is not instruction but a way to maximize your current state of play and give you the ability to work towards your improvement goals with confidence.
  • What are you looking to switch from the 919 forged to the p790?
  • Do you keep a HDCP, and if so what it is it? If not why not?
    • This is more just to guide me towards so club heads that might be the right fit
  • I will ask some other questions like these:
    • What is your average rounds per month during season
    • How many total rounds do you play a year
    • How many hours a week to you spend practicing
    • When you practice do you just hit balls or do you have a practice plan
    • Have you ever taken lessons?
  • I will also ask if you have any pain when you swing or physicals limitations.
    • lets me know if we might want to try graphite or light weight steel.
  • Also since I was not there how old are you, height weight etc

Also did you try the Nippon Zelos (https://nipponshaft.com/product/steel_zelos8.php) sounds like it could be the perfect blend between graphite and steel...

 

Happy to help any way I can

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...