TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putter Shaft Differences

I was wondering what the difference is between a single bend no offset putter shaft and a double bend offset shaft? How would one determine which is better for them given their putting stroke ect. I've tried googling it and I still couldn't wrap my head around it.

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

• cciciora13 changed the title to Putter Shaft Differences
38 minutes ago, cciciora13 said:

I was wondering what the difference is between a single bend no offset putter shaft and a double bend offset shaft? How would one determine which is better for them given their putting stroke ect. I've tried googling it and I still couldn't wrap my head around it.

Single bend shafts typically come straight up and then bend at the desired lie angle.  You can't turn them to create offset or the shaft would point backwards.  These shafts generally result in toe hang.   If you want offset,  you generally have a plumbers neck or pipe neck with a straight shaft.   If you want to change the toe hang you make the rise of the single bend, plumbers neck, or pipe neck longer or shorter.  

Double bend shafts have multiple bends to provide offset and generally a used to make a face balanced putter.  

There are also triple bend shafts 🙂 

Generally they are not interchangeable since the bore or stub would be at different angles.    

To figure out which is better,  you try the different putters 🙂 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The way I learned about them and what's best for me was during a putter fitting on a SAM lab at Club Champion.  Well worth the cost.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

• 2 weeks later...

Personal preference.  Nothing more.  Some people like no offset, some do.  Its all what you like.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

20 minutes ago, BadgerGolfer said:

Personal preference.  Nothing more.  Some people like no offset, some do.  Its all what you like.

Stroke analysis will show a different story.    Putters with offset tend to swing closed to the putters path and putters with no offset tend to swing open to the path.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 11/29/2020 at 6:17 PM, cnosil said:

Stroke analysis will show a different story.    Putters with offset tend to swing closed to the putters path and putters with no offset tend to swing open to the path.  

Well, opinions certainly vary on that.  IMO, the concept of a release in a putting stroke is largely a feel thing.  There is really no release in putting and if you try to, youre going to get flippy with your putter.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

40 minutes ago, BadgerGolfer said:

Well, opinions certainly vary on that.  IMO, the concept of a release in a putting stroke is largely a feel thing.  There is really no release in putting and if you try to, youre going to get flippy with your putter.

Releasing a putter is a feel and how you utilize your power source.  There can be a release;  Tiger for example releases the head to feel like he is hooking putts.  Rory tends to hold the face open.   But you were commenting about offset;  offset impacts how the putter moves along the putters arc.  This can be seen when looking at data captured by puttlab.  

On 11/29/2020 at 5:56 PM, BadgerGolfer said:

I'm going to disagree on this.  I thought the same until I had my putter fitting and really learned about my stroke and what type of toe hang, etc is best for me.  Made a huge difference in my putting once I got the new putter.  It's been in my bag for 2 years now and I haven't even looked at others which for me is really unusual.  I used to think a center shafted and/or face balanced putter was best but turns out I need some toe hang so heal shafted is most effective for me.  But ultimately use whatever you feel comfortable with and make putts with if that works for you.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

Let’s all be honest. What everyone needs is a LAB with a BGT stability shaft. 😆

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Let’s all be honest. What everyone needs is a LAB with a BGT stability shaft.

No, not really. I have a stability shaft in I one of my putters. It was an experiment and wouldn’t do it again. I have tried a LAB putter and it was okay. I’d put one in the bag but don’t think it fits everyone.

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

No, not really. I have a stability shaft in I one of my putters. It was an experiment and wouldn’t do it again. I have tried a LAB putter and it was okay. I’d put one in the bag but don’t think it fits everyone.

agree on that stand point. With all the LAB hype figured I'd add a plug. I was close to pulling the trigger and now have had my two best putting nines in a row. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been a fan of stability shaft. I liked it so much I put it in my new refinished 2.5. I figure I want to eliminate as many potential variables as possible in my putting. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

On 12/1/2020 at 7:40 AM, rbsiedsc said:

Let’s all be honest. What everyone needs is a LAB with a BGT stability shaft. 😆

Its going out of favor for me. It puts such a nice roll on the ball, but I have no sense of distance control with it. I blast almost everything way past the hole. Maybe its user error, but don't have that bad of distance control with any other putter i own.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

9 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Its going out of favor for me. It puts such a nice roll on the ball, but I have no sense of distance control with it. I blast almost everything way past the hole. Maybe its user error, but don't have that bad of distance control with any other putter i own.

I think it is user error 🤣.   I have one in my gamer and really see no different between it and a regular shaft.   If I were to get on a puttlab/capto/Quintic and dive down into the swing numbers there may be a difference.  I just don't think it is worth the cost.   

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I think it is user error 🤣.   I have one in my gamer and really see no different between it and a regular shaft.   If I were to get on a puttlab/capto/Quintic and dive down into the swing numbers there may be a difference.  I just don't think it is worth the cost.   

Sorry, i was referring to the DF 2.1, not the Stability shaft.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Sorry, i was referring to the DF 2.1, not the Stability shaft.

That is probably just a practice thing.  Need to get used to how hot the ball is off the face.  

I see you're located in Chicago and have a Bettinardi putter. I don't know if you were fitted or bought your putter off-the-rack, but I would call Bettinardi, who is in Chicago, and make an appointment for a fitting to be sure your putter spec's are correct for you. There may be a small charge, but it is worth it. There is no charge if you purchase a new putter.  I have a QB6 & BB56 and was fitted at Bettinardi's Studio B, and as a fitter who has used SAM, their system is far superior and the experience was just fantastic. When you leave you will know exactly which putter and shaft fit you the best.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips