TESTERS WANTED! ×

Playing under the influence

Tanky

I've been struggling to maintain or improve my HCP this year, too many thoughts going through my head, nerves, and me putting pressure on myself to break 10 HCP this year.

CBD oil doesn't work, chewing gum works a tiny bit, but a flask of whiskey or a premixed flask of G&T is working like a charm! I'm down 3 HCP points in 3 weeks! I even manage to be sober before the comp is done....🤪

Would love to hear others thoughts on this from fellow drunks or teetotalers....

🤙

I enjoy having a few beers on the course.  I feel like it makes me play a bit better because it relaxes me and just kind of puts me in my happy place.  Beer for me always just puts me in a good place, theres just a fine line between having a good time and getting wasted though.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

For me it's about finding a balance while still staying hydrated. If the only drink I have cracked is a beer, then it'll negatively impact my play after 8 or 9 holes (sooner if I drink it faster). But if I have a water or Gatorade at the same time, then I can drink from that when my body is telling me I need to drink liquids, and help avoid the negative impacts of beer.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

21 minutes ago, gavinski91 said:

For me it's about finding a balance while still staying hydrated. If the only drink I have cracked is a beer, then it'll negatively impact my play after 8 or 9 holes (sooner if I drink it faster). But if I have a water or Gatorade at the same time, then I can drink from that when my body is telling me I need to drink liquids, and help avoid the negative impacts of beer.

That balance is so key, I always have 2 litres of rehydrate with me too, especially if its above 30 Degrees Celsius...

🤙

I like to have a beer or mixer on the course as it does relax me. I have a limit and stay under it unless I want to play like crap. Early morning is usually a splash of something in my coffee or a nip off a flask. Again, I have a limit.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I don't care to drink alcohol when I play golf, but have played with two different guys over the years that got better and better the more they drank. there motto was drink a beer a hole and take a leak every two holes. LOL

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

If I have a beverage out on the course, its not to calm me or anything for my golf game.  It is purely to enjoy the beverage. With that being said, I'm not a huge fan of drinking because I feel too disconnected too easily with my body.  With my friends that drink and play, its looks like it's a huge double edge sword.  There are holes,typically early, where they play unbelievably but it seems difficult to maintain that balance and they get sloppy.  If it works, it works.

Not a fan for the most part. Alcohol, even a few beers, dehydrates me pretty quickly and I end up with a headache. If I drink on the course, it'll maybe be 2 beers over the course of 18 holes interspersed with a ton of water.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I just can't do it.  Even one beer ( which I can't stand the taste of) will make me play like crap. Only liquid consumed is a Gatorade, lemonade, flavored water, or a soft drink. Now after the round is over that's another story. I'm game then.   

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

22 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I just can't do it.  Even one beer ( which I can't stand the taste of) will make me play like crap. Only liquid consumed is a Gatorade, lemonade, flavored water, or a soft drink. Now after the round is over that's another story. I'm game then.   

I'm in total agreement with you as well as @russtopherb. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate (note alcohol doesn't). If you're looking to calm nerves on the tee box - there are some great techniques/books on the topic starting with Nilsson & Marriot's books. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I don't drink alcohol as a means of helping with my game - but perhaps should? 🤔  We celebrate birdies and eagles with a mini-shot of Firebird or other flavored concoctions, and there have been a few rounds where we've put a healthy dent in the jerry cans. I prefer to just drink water and save the beers for post round chatter.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

i’m not much of a drinker to begin with, so drinking on the course is pretty situational for me. 

i play solo a lot, and try to grab early tee times - i’m really not in a drinking mood when i’m making the turn at 9am on a tuesday. 

but during an afternoon round on the weekend playing with a few buddies, i’m down for a beer or two. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

I usually drink a few on the course. But I tend to keep them in the cooler if I am playing really well. Once things fall apart, they are like a rally monkey. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I love the idea of drinking and golfing, especially when playing in leagues or fun groups, but my biggest problem with getting drunk is that I generally have to drive home and I'm not willing to risk it for a DUI. If I'm trying to score well I can't really drink more than two beers or I completely lose focus. After two beers, any sense of athleticism or balance I have (there isn't much to start with) is completely gone.

In general, I rarely drink alcohol while playing.  There are a couple of situations where I'll have something:  s scramble, which is only about fun, a vacation round where I don't really care, or perhaps a single beer on the 16th or 17th hole.  Its never to calm my nerves, the entire golf course is my happy place, no need to find something to make it any better.  Also, alcohol is never a positive thing for my physical coordination.  I can play acceptably with a beer or two in those scrambles, but not better than when I'm dead sober.  Of course, after I'm done I'll have a few beers.  Lucky for me, my wife doesn't drink.  We almost always ride to the golf course together, I drive in the morning, and she drives home.

As for other people, do what you choose, as long as you don't start to act like a drunken idiot.  And don't drive home.  But I'd ask a question, if you NEED to drink in order to deal with pre-golf stress, when golf is a choice, how do you deal with stress at work, or in your family, things you absolutely HAVE to deal with?  

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

6 minutes ago, Jackal said:

I'll have a beer after 9 holes sometimes. I've know a few that played better when they could barely stand up.

One of them said " The golfer I get, the better I drunk" 😳😳😳😳😀😀😂😂

So does he drink to play golf or play golf to drink. Either case hope he has a designated driver to take him home. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

As no one has made the joke yet from what I can see, and as your friendly neighborhood spider....i mean attorney, please don't drink and drive 😉

I don't mind players who drink and will occasionally enjoy a drink with friends on the course. But living in a very hot place during the summers, I just get too dehydrated if I'm not guzzling water and a drink doesn't help. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Depends on the situation someone mentioned earlier. Vacation round, scramble round, tourney round or just playing round. I might have 2, 4, 6, or 24 depending on the situation. If I am driving home no more than 4. If I start a round with 3 8's in four holes it's on and I'll sleep in the bed of my pickup. This actually happened in a tourney round earlier this fall. I go on a 4 day golf trip with 12-16 players and its a requirement, unless your the guy driving us around or the guy who typically doesn't drink.  For my skill level doesn't change much until I hit 12 or more drinks. Big fan of hydration as well. I tend to hydrate with pomegranate lemonade vodka with a lime, or something along those lines. If I had to wait for a birdie to have a shot, my flask would never be less than full.  

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter