Pro V's Under UV Light (Weird)

I am a chemist so I will try to speak on this. Your clear coat likely has some phosphorescent material on it (UV light excites it and then it gives off a glow). Some organic compounds glow under UV light and that is likely what you are seeing. I bet on the older balls, the coating is worn down by sun, rain, heat etc over time, like you have noted above. 

• Like 3

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34") Soon to be testing TAIII Impact #2 Putter

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

47 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

I am a chemist so I will try to speak on this. Your clear coat likely has some phosphorescent material on it (UV light excites it and then it gives off a glow). Some organic compounds glow under UV light and that is likely what you are seeing. I bet on the older balls, the coating is worn down by sun, rain, heat etc over time, like you have noted above. 

As an old chemist, I will agree with the young chemist as I have forgotten most of it.  😟  Unless, that is, we talk about Cherenkov glow.  Contrary to what many people think, we do not glow, even after working at the Hanford nuclear site for 50 years.  😆  However, we are not allowed to show our third eye when we go out in public.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

25 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

As an old chemist, I will agree with the young chemist as I have forgotten most of it.  😟  Unless, that is, we talk about Cherenkov glow.  Contrary to what many people think, we do not glow, even after working at the Hanford nuclear site for 50 years.  😆  However, we are not allowed to show our third eye when we go out in public.  🤣

I should have known with your avatar and where you live. You’ll live to 200, and have spidey senses

• Haha 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with Tensei Orange Pro S (1" tipped) at 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :taylormade-small: Corza Ghost 35" ( Benched :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34") Soon to be testing TAIII Impact #2 Putter

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

A couple thoughts after looking at the photos: The cover on the 2019-2020 version is thinner than previous covers. It's possible that could contribute to the differences in appearance. As Titleist redesigns their balls, I'm sure the formula of the cover undergoes changes to help them obtain the characteristics they seek. 

Did you try moving them around in the light to determine if the position, and how the light hit them had anything to do with the appearance?

If you're concerned, contact Titleist and ask them what they think. You might even send then a couple of the wonkier performing balls to analyze and compare to new versions.

This is why I don't buy used balls, unless I just want a few for practice. I'd be interested in hearing what Titleist says, if you contact them.

@ryanokeefe I have found about 5,000 golf balls with a black light and about 15% are Titleist Pro Vs. 

I have found that sun exposure deteriorates the uv phosphorescence and the clear coat wearing thin also diminishes the glow. 

Taylormade balls don't glow as bright as Titleist, Callaway, Srixon, and Bridgestone. 

I would guess the mint lost used balls you find online have been heavily scrubbed to be cleaned and may have had long time sun exposure which both deteriorates the glow. 

• Like 2

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Lake balls? Clearish water intensifies UV and can practically bleach a golf ball. I'm sure even without visible damage that would have some effect on the coating. 

Can you perform a quick bounce test? Drop them from the same height on hard surface? 

Also do the float test in some salt water? 

• Like 1

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Oban Gold
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* AD-DI 85S, Apex 23* Oban Purple
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"