TESTERS WANTED! ×

How can we boost forum participation?

GolfSpy Dave

Forum Improvement Ideas  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What would motivate you to post more often?

• Nothing. I like just lurking and reading.
    • More equipment discussions
    • More pro tour discussions
    • More gear reviews
    • More contests
    • More lessons and swing discussions
    • More course reviews
    • I will post the same regardless of changes.
    • Other... (add ideas to discussion below)

• SPY VIP

So I was just looking at the stats for the MGS Forum (bottom of the forum main page) and according to the numbers we have 10,000 members, but only a fraction of that online at any given time.

Plus, there are anonymous readers that are not making the effort to join and participate.

I enjoy this site a great deal and it just seems weird to me that so many people drop by, but don't say anything.

What are your thoughts on this? Since the forum is really a product of its members, what can we do to make it a more dynamic and interesting place to spend some time?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

A new member introduction thread? Give them a place to introduce themselves and let the forum welcome then. Works lots of other places I'm a member at. It also gives them an opportunity to talk about their self so that they'll feel like an integrated part of the community before jumping into the discussions.

Another one that drives traffic, especially on another site I'm on? Giveaways. Things like manufacturers giving product or fittings away to the membership instead of to the mods will increase traffic and participation a ton. It does two things: provides free marketing to the manufacturer and creates a buzz and it provides traffic to the site. When people can get free product, they're going to sign up so they can win it. Make it a requirement, like other sites I'm on, that you have x number of posts before you can participate. And do the giveaways based on random selection except for the larger items (like manufacturer fittings, full sets, etc). Those should be a joint effort between the site's mods and the manufacturer to select the large item winners and they're not random. It works well. Make it a requirement that the member that wins does a full review of the item they win, or experience they win (fittings, etc). This is why the large items aren't random, because the manufacturer wants someone that can articulate their thoughts well. The site should want that as well for the large items. I'll be honest, the same 4 or 5 people doing all of the reviews cause me to skip over a bunch of them because after reading a few of them, u know what the mod/reviewer likes and how their review will go before I read it.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I think what we saw in MGS's debut giveaway blowout last year was a lot of people who participated just enough to qualify for prizes, and then disappearing for good after that. Also, some people who were given free product with the condition of providing reviews were never heard from again, and ... you guessed it ... those people never reviewed said products.

The trick is attracting people who are actually interested in both reading and contributing good content, and weeding out those who just want free goodies. Given the current economic climate, I think it's both unrealistic and unreasonable to expect MGS site owners to do frequent mass giveaways since those owners are footing most - if not all - of the bill. However, I do think it's a good idea to open up the product review process to more of the membership, as long as it can be guaranteed that those products actually get reviewed.

Thing is Moe, the OEM's oftentimes will provide product for a giveaway at zero cost in exchange for the free advertisement and buzz created by the giveaway. That's also why you require 75+ posts and not 5. It creates a requirement where a person has to obtain more posts and participate as a part of the forums initially instead of qualifying by posting 4 or 5 one word responses. It'd also be a requirement that the new members entering would have to have done an introduction in the suggested member introduction section. OEM's have a budgeting for giveaways and the product they provide are covered in that. The giveaway creates a buzz around the product and studies have shown giveaways often lead to purchases from those that become intrigued by them and don't win. The big budget items would be given away to members in good standing and selected hy MGS and his mod staff in conjunction with the OEM's themselves.

That's Marketing 101.

The OEM's on another site I'm on give away fittings accompanied by airfare, lodging, meals, the fitting and clubs at zero cost to the winners. I have a feeling they do the same for reviews here and other places. They're buying positive reviews in essence, but they're also creating a buzz around their product.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

At least some of those OEMs you refer to are the same ones for whom Golfspy X will not give free positive publicity just for the sake of free products and services. One purpose of MGS is to provide as unbiased critique as possible on as many OEM products as possible, and some - if not all - of those manufacturers will not give MGS products for giveaway purposes without guarantees of biased, favorable opinions in return. Golfspy X has mentioned on numerous occasions that he will not - and why he will not - give in to those demands. If that's something with which any member here disagrees, I suggest that such discussions be done privately with Golfspy X.

I'm saying that regardless of if there's a binding agreement or not, anyone receiving free product, especially a $1k plus iron set, $300+ driver, $200+ wedges, etc for free to review and keep afterward will not give them a bad review. Nor will a bad review be given for the equipment plus the airfare, lodging, fitting experience, etc. There doesn't have to be any binding agreement in place nor any money changing hands. People are going to give a positive review of something they get for free. There also doesn't have to be a disclaimer as to the fact that these items or setvices are provided free of charge, because it's not essential to the review. Should the disclaimer be included in the reviews? I believe so, but they're not anywhere so I can't fault anyone for it. I've seen one blog/review in which the author of a review even mentions that the process and equipment was paid for by the manufacturer. It's smart on the OEM's part to provide equipment, fittings, etc for free for review, they know the buzz it creates and the near certainty there is for a positive review.

In The Bag

• SPY VIP

OK so what else besides more free stuff to readers? If other sites are already doing that, what can be done to make this forum different?

Volvo Intorqueo

If someone writes a well-written, positive review - and on top of that, with little or no empirical data - of a set of irons that influences some people - or even a large group of people - to buy those same set of irons, but those people end up not having nearly the same positive opinion of that product, how do you think those people will think of the reviewer? How many of those people do you think will return to the reviewer for "expert" opinions in the future, especially knowing that the reviewer received, and was allowed to keep, all product for free?

That is one of the reasons why Golfspy X is very relunctant - to say the least - to go down that path with MGS.

OK so what else besides more free stuff to readers? If other sites are already doing that, what can be done to make this forum different?

Wouldn't you agree that the way in which MGS presents its product reviews is already different from and better than what a lot of other sites do?

I think that one has to realize that since this is a golf forum, the context in which it exists is already confining to a certain degree: people gather to discuss and see pictures/videos of the game, their swings, tour pros, courses, product, and that's really about it.

Again, relative to the current economic climate and the limits of MGS owners' resources, everyone has to be realistic and reasonable about what new and exciting things can be implemented. Would it be great if MGS can do daily live streaming internet video feeds for news, product reviews, etc.? Of course! Realistic or reasonable? Most likely not. How about getting some real teaching pros to sit around their computers to answer questions about MGS members' swing problems? Great! But then again, any of those teachers worth their salt are too busy actually teaching the game to live students. Maybe with the right amount of money, they can be coaxed into joining MGS, but who's going to pay for that?

And let's not forget a very simple answer as to how forum participation can increase: sometimes these things just take time.

• SPY VIP

Wouldn't you agree that the way in which MGS presents its product reviews is already different from and better than what a lot of other sites do?

I think that one has to realize that since this is a golf forum, the context in which it exists is already confining to a certain degree: people gather to discuss and see pictures/videos of the game, their swings, tour pros, courses, product, and that's really about it.

Again, relative to the current economic climate and the limits of MGS owners' resources, everyone has to be realistic and reasonable about what new and exciting things can be implemented. Would it be great if MGS can do daily live streaming internet video feeds for news, product reviews, etc.? Of course! Realistic or reasonable? Most likely not. How about getting some real teaching pros to sit around their computers to answer questions about MGS members' swing problems? Great! But then again, any of those teachers worth their salt are too busy actually teaching the game to live students. Maybe with the right amount of money, they can be coaxed into joining MGS, but who's going to pay for that?

And let's not forget a very simple answer as to how forum participation can increase: sometimes these things just take time.

Totally agree Moe.

I am not thinking about wholesale changes to the forum as I like how it is going. I am thinking more about simple things that could get people to become involved more. What helps someone to make the transition from someone who reads the postings to writes in the posting. I was looking at the Pebble Project thread that I started and there are 4200 views, but only 54 replies, including mine. Just wondered what it would take for more replies.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

This is something that GolfSpy X and I have been discussing quite a bit lately. Overall, traffic numbers are extremely good, and on the rise, but as Dave pointed out, we definitely have more lurkers than contributors (not that there's anything wrong with that). We do have a couple of ideas, but we don't think the answer lies in giveaways. While giveaways will remain part of what we do (we're working on a couple right now), we never want free stuff to be the reason people come here, and we're not overly interested in having OEMs provide truckloads of equipment to our readers for "review". That model has been tried, and tried, and tried again in a few other places, and invariably it has led to cushy, fluff reviews, which while great for the OEMs, don't really provide a lot of benefit to our readers. We never want to become one of those places that misleads readers for the sake of keeping OEMs (and advertisers happy). I can never guarantee that a reader will have the same experience that we have with a club (there will always be agreements and disagreements), but I think our track record is pretty good, and overall our reputation is solid. I'm personally not interested in risking either for the sake a few more comments. There are enough corporate mouthpieces out there.

RookieBlue is right...forum seeding most definitely helps sell product (which is why OEMs are so willing to provide it). I'm not ignorant of my role in all of this. I know that when I write a positive review the impact can be dramatic (ask Adams how valuable our review of the 9064LS has been, or ask Harrison about our MGS Labs article on their Shotmaker), but I also know that the reason our reviews can have that sort of impact is that we put every club we test through the same protocols and procedures, and the numbers fall where they fall...end of story.

While helping move product is often the byproduct of our reviews, I can assure all of you that I have zero interest in helping an OEM, component company, or anybody else move product. My interest, and I believe those of GolfSpy X, lie in calling it like we see it, educating golfers to the best of our ability, and uncovering the small handful of products every year that actually stand out from the crowd.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

This is something that GolfSpy X and I have been discussing quite a bit lately. Overall, traffic numbers are extremely good, and on the rise, but as Dave pointed out, we definitely have more lurkers than contributors (not that there's anything wrong with that). We do have a couple of ideas, but we don't think the answer lies in giveaways. While giveaways will remain part of what we do (we're working on a couple right now), we never want free stuff to be the reason people come here, and we're not overly interested in having OEMs provide truckloads of equipment to our readers for "review". That model has been tried, and tried, and tried again in a few other places, and invariably it has led to cushy, fluff reviews, which while great for the OEMs, don't really provide a lot of benefit to our readers. We never want to become one of those places that misleads readers for the sake of keeping OEMs (and advertisers happy). I can never guarantee that a reader will have the same experience that we have with a club (there will always be agreements and disagreements), but I think our track record is pretty good, and overall our reputation is solid. I'm personally not interested in risking either for the sake a few more comments. There are enough corporate mouthpieces out there.

RookieBlue is right...forum seeding most definitely helps sell product (which is why OEMs are so willing to provide it). I'm not ignorant of my role in all of this. I know that when I write a positive review the impact can be dramatic (ask Adams how valuable our review of the 9064LS has been, or ask Harrison about our MGS Labs article on their Shotmaker), but I also know that the reason our reviews can have that sort of impact is that we put every club we test through the same protocols and procedures, and the numbers fall where they fall...end of story.

While helping move product is often the byproduct of our reviews, I can assure all of you that I have zero interest in helping an OEM, component company, or anybody else move product. My interest, and I believe those of GolfSpy X, lie in calling it like we see it, educating golfers to the best of our ability, and uncovering the small handful of products every year that actually stand out from the crowd.

My point was, had these products not been provided for review at zero cost, and not just you but all of the reviewers here, first would you have purchased them at all, or even given them a glance? And secondly, had you purchased them items with your hard earned money, would they have gotten as good of marks?

There are a few reviews here I'd question if they'd be the same if the reviewer had paid for the equipment they were reviewing instead of it being free. Same as I question every review everywhere with the same modus operandi. That's why I don't out much stock into a review that's a human test type review. It's a subjective one. Robot numbers are different to me because they don't have feel and don't care if it's free or not. The review/test system here is better than most, true. But, case in point, and I'm a huge Adams fanboy, I hated the 9064LS (even the reviews here and a few other places were great)and I bought 3 different ones. 1 retail, 1 tour issue, and 1 DFS model. Hated all three. They felt like slush boxes to me. I've owned every Adams driver made since the 9015d. To me, the 9064 was one of the worse ones I've hit. Tried all of them with several shafts and didn't like them. Also clocked them open after trying their square, as I need an driver than sets up open anyway, and still didn't like them. I loved the 9032 I had right before it. Even tried the 9064 with the shaft that was in the 9032 at the same digital loft. Didn't like it. Never felt right to me. I know lots of other people that felt the same way. Not a knock on the review at all. Just stating my opinion. I even posted on Adams feed that the driver wasn't that great IMO (which they removed later) and that the 9032 was better to me. And I've had serial good discussions with them. I don't feel negative about them and I'll buy the 9088LS when it comes out. Just my opinion. I just wonder if some of the reviews I read when it was in pre-release and shortly after release would've been the same if the reviewer paid for the equipment? The robot testing, however, to me is different. You can't trick them or mask anything with feel.

And I agree with what Moe was saying about costs prohibiting some things from every happening to generate traffic. One thing I could also see increasing traffic other than giveaways? Having someone here providing in person pictures of what's in the tour pro's bags at tour events. A staff photographer if you will. Or incentives (cash or credit or whatever)for forum members taking and providing pics as I'm sure having someone on staff would be cost prohibitive. Why official tour pro witb's with pics? Because what drives the golf industry in terms of equipment? People wanting what your pro's play and knowing what it is. Example, would Nike even be relevant were it not for Tiger? Nope. What's in pro's bags intrigue people. Discussion about it even more so.

The only true way I see to generate overnight increases in posting, though, is giveaways requiring someone to post x times before they can enter and then requiring them to post in the thread to enter. Lurkers are going to exist, it's a fact. Giving them incentive to post would increase their likelyhood of going from a poster to an active person in discussions. It's addictive to post, but you have to get them to make the first one to get the addiction. The best way to get them to do it, to me, is to give stuff away for them posting. The reviews are solid, the discussions are solid here even if there aren't many active posters. Getting more opinions out there only would improve the site. I wouldn't overhaul anything to generate more post traffic just like was stated. Once someone posts once, they're more likely to do it again.

I still think a member introduction section on it's own would also help. Lots of people that lurk don't want to just jump in and post. Giving them a place to introduce themselves let's them have a place to develop their confidence to post as well as a place to feel welcomed by the community.

In The Bag

I really like a golf forum that is not judgmental and I find that here. if I could suggest a better search engine, I find that when I look for a specific club or ball ect. I am sent to the basement to look through every box to find what I want. So a search that helps drill down would make this site more user friendly to new and old alike. thats my $12 worth. ( 2 cents just aint what it used to be )

I am for the most part a lurker. As hcp 18, 2.5 year of golf below my belt, I feel I have not much to offer the much better hcp and experienced guys on this forum. But on occasion, I do offer my views on product/equipment I have experience with, often added disclaimer my high handicap so people can put my views in perspective !

I'm not fond of the giveaways and stuff like that, they might jeopardise the "independance" of this forum over time. And it is just that what attracts me to this forum. Clear cut truth, no OEM pressure or marketing blabla. Which doesn't mean I take everything I read here at face value offcourse.

So basically, when my golf experience grows, and my hcp hopefully goes down, I probably will contribute more and more.

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

I am for the most part a lurker. As hcp 18, 2.5 year of golf below my belt, I feel I have not much to offer the much better hcp and experienced guys on this forum. But on occasion, I do offer my views on product/equipment I have experience with, often added disclaimer my high handicap so people can put my views in perspective !

I'm not fond of the giveaways and stuff like that, they might jeopardise the "independance" of this forum over time. And it is just that what attracts me to this forum. Clear cut truth, no OEM pressure or marketing blabla. Which doesn't mean I take everything I read here at face value offcourse.

So basically, when my golf experience grows, and my hcp hopefully goes down, I probably will contribute more and more.

Likewise, I appreciate the brutal honesty that is sometimes displayed in this forum regardless that I do not necessarily agree with the posted conclusions. Too often I see postings of many words that are intended to say nothing. A waste of reading time.

Time will let the forum grow, provided the owner can afford the time. Good moderation that allows friendly banter and honestly stated opinions will generate friendships that consider this place home.

Local groupings could be encouraged to grow if they were allowed to post their local tournaments and meetings.

Shambles

I agree with bcgolf. I'm also a high-handicapper with only 1 year of game time. There isn't much I can contribute with except maybe some golf equipment that you can use without having to be good (push carts, bags, shoes, etc).

There are several reasons why I keep on coming here:

1. People are just nice. I've started a good amount of threads asking for advice, help, etc. and I've gotten plenty of help there. I feel people here like to help each other.

2. I'm addicted to golf. I wish could just quit my job and be on the course 8 hours a day! Practice, have fun, lower that HCP! As an addict, I need a place where people share the same interests and addiction and this seems to be the right place.

3. New equipment! Yes, I play clones! But I still like to browse the internet everyday looking for new gear and releases. Ooohhh nice driver! I wonder when will they release the clone? :P

I think the "introduce yourself thread" could be a good idea. Maybe have a blog entry on the front page inviting those who read/don't post to join us, be part of MGS! There is such a thread, but the they get long and I believe after a while, nobody wants to look for the latest post in a 15 page thread.

Give aways? I probably would never benefit from it for being in Europe, but it doesn't stop me from being active here. To me, it's not a deal breaker.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

+1 to what stevenhw8 said.

Three ideas I've probably mentioned before:

1) I'd really love a post your scorecard section instead of a single thread. I'd certainly update it more often and I think it would help people offer advice (I'm one of those high cappers who can't give, but will take advice!)

2) More reviews from from component manufacturers or even clones. Your review of the original dynacraft prophet blades is what drew me here to begin with. I stay because there are a lot of interesting discussions that go on. Since I've joined, I think I can count on one hand reviews from the smaller guys (I'm not necessarily suggesting reviews from my preferences, on the contrary I'd like to see reviews of clubs I don't have).

3) I would love to see long time members invited to participate in the Ultimate review system. I'm not sure how the logistics would work, but if MGS receives a club they know they don't have to return, perhaps every so often mail it to a member who you know will provide feedback for his/her contribution to the review process. The member would run through the same objective testing at a local shop that lets you rent simulators and provide subjective input with the caveat that the member received the club for free (but had to pay for shipping and to rent the simulator). I'm not saying this should be a monthly thing, but maybe once or twice a year...

There is in fact a member introduction thread.

It's one of the pinned topics ... i.e., it's located at the top of the page ... in the Everything Else forum.

Right, I know that post is there, but in my experiences in forums (and I've moderated a few, along with being a member at tons more) a thread such as that, tucked away in one of the lesser viewed areas of the board for new members rarely gets utilized and is often times skipped over. Remember, the newer users are likely coming here for content related to the main page of the site, or from redirects from the twitter or facebook feed, or google searches. They're more likely to go to the other sections about things that the main site is about, such as the equipment section, or reviews section. To get there from those redirects, they have to go to the main forum page. This is where the different sections are found, and as they scroll through them, I have a good idea that they're skipping over everything else in their browsing. That sectino likely gets little traffic from new users, at least until they've been here browsing a while looking at the other sections, they might get curious as to what's covered in everything else and click it. I've found that having a dedicated section where each member can have their own individual thread works much better, and is utilized more by new members. Look when the last post in that thread is, May 16th, 3 months ago. Having a dedicated section would pique their interest, especially if it were near the top of the different sections. Just an observation from looking at traffic in that thread, and knowing how the traffic is at other sites that have a member introductions section. I can tell you that having the separate section gets more posts, at least everywhere I've been. That's why I said that.

In The Bag

wdgolf, those 3 ideas are full of win!

Maybe there is a way to mix the give-away system with the review system.

If I remember correctly, the clubs that are sent to MGS for reviewing are free of charge and don't have to be returned to the manufacturer.

What happens to the clubs after they are reviewed? Do they become part of the reviewer's arsenal? Are they donated to the recycle program? Are they sold to pay for maintaining the website/forum?

If they serve a purpose, then it's all good. But they are just lying around in the corner, they could be used to attract more active members. Like RookieBlue mentioned give-away for members with X amount of USEFUL posts or like wdgolf suggestioned for a review from those long time members. This is a nice incentive to help other members and be more active. I'm sure people would be more willing if the contribution was more "tangible" instead of typing typing typing.

I don't think this would affect the objectivity of the reviews since the manufacturers ship the test clubs knowing what MGS is all about.

As a bonus, it might also attract more golfers to donate $$$ to the MGS revolution.

I'm not 100% familiar with how the financial part of MGS works, so forgive me if I assumed something incorrectly or suggested an nonviable solution.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I will post as often as I have in the past and the present. I would like to see more members who do most of the posting have a chance at demoing some of the equipment that has come and gone over the year. I would like to see us get a club and pass it around to say 10 members and the only way you can get in on the action is to actually write a review. Then do a random giveaway to one of the 10 who participate and actually write a review. It's one thing that gets people involved for sure. THE CHANCE TO WIN SOMETHING FOR FREE. The only money that would come out of the participants pocket would be the shipping to get the item to each individual who are picked for said item. It was done on another site where they had a thing called insiders where you paid a nominal fee for the year and this gave you the opportunity to participate. It doesn't have to be a hugh fee, but enough money to build up a escrow account for the initial shipping from MY GOLF SPY to the first contestant, then each individual will use same shipping method as to make sure its done in a timely manner. There are areas of concern when 10 guys say they want in and then when they are picked and they receive the club they decide to keep it longer then the allotted time frame that would be set. We could always do this by zones as to where members live. Like not all of us live in climates where we can golf all year round. So members on the west coast and south can get on the " DEMO LIST" during the winter months while northern members and Northeast and northwest members can get on that list during the summer months. it could be fair that all members feel like they have a real piece of the site, instead of just a few getting to Demo all the equipment. If that idea doesn't work then just do more random giveaways. it's not all that surprising that the sites that seem to have more members contributing are the sites where they get free whatever. it could be golf balls, to golf socks, free is free and everyone likes free merchandise.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Just a random thought, but I know there is a YouTube page for MGS, (http://www.youtube.com/user/mygolfspy) how about branching out to different media...

I would love to see part of the ultimate reviews that includes a video... maybe a 5-10 minutes with an interview with the manufacturer, history of the company, a little about the competitors, real life experiences or even a few shots of the testing process with numbers...

I hate to say it, but I'm lazy and just skim through some of the reviews because they are long, but if they were videos, I would watch the whole thing...

Just something that popped into my head...It probably won't make a huge jump in forum members, but it is something I haven't really seen anywhere else...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I will post as often as I have in the past and the present. I would like to see more members who do most of the posting have a chance at demoing some of the equipment that has come and gone over the year. I would like to see us get a club and pass it around to say 10 members and the only way you can get in on the action is to actually write a review. Then do a random giveaway to one of the 10 who participate and actually write a review. It's one thing that gets people involved for sure. THE CHANCE TO WIN SOMETHING FOR FREE. The only money that would come out of the participants pocket would be the shipping to get the item to each individual who are picked for said item. It was done on another site where they had a thing called insiders where you paid a nominal fee for the year and this gave you the opportunity to participate. It doesn't have to be a hugh fee, but enough money to build up a escrow account for the initial shipping from MY GOLF SPY to the first contestant, then each individual will use same shipping method as to make sure its done in a timely manner. There are areas of concern when 10 guys say they want in and then when they are picked and they receive the club they decide to keep it longer then the allotted time frame that would be set. We could always do this by zones as to where members live. Like not all of us live in climates where we can golf all year round. So members on the west coast and south can get on the " DEMO LIST" during the winter months while northern members and Northeast and northwest members can get on that list during the summer months. it could be fair that all members feel like they have a real piece of the site, instead of just a few getting to Demo all the equipment. If that idea doesn't work then just do more random giveaways. it's not all that surprising that the sites that seem to have more members contributing are the sites where they get free whatever. it could be golf balls, to golf socks, free is free and everyone likes free merchandise.

Thats a great idea, especially the part about the seasonal golfers. The season up here will be ending up here in a couple months, and I won't be able to hit a ball until the snow melts, so a "pass-around-club" would be pointless to me, but in the summer, I would love it...

And free stuff is great. Hell, RookieBlue sent me a couple Ballzees last month and I felt like it was Christmas... It wasn't a huge freebie like a wedge, putter, balls, headcovers,or driver shaft (Thanks MGS for all of these), but I was just as excited to go out to the mailbox to get it (well, mabye not quite as excited, but you get the idea)

Free is great...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

I like the "New Member Introduction" I think members are more likely to reply to someone in their neck of the woods.

Driver-Wishon 715CLC- AXE5 A shaft tipeed 1/2"
Fairway -Sonartec SS-02 17*-SS Series Penley Regular shaft
Hybrid-21 & 25 degree Trident DSW Hybrid-UST Irod regular shaft
(2009 version)
Irons- 5-PW-Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release sensicore R(5&6 soft stepped,-7,8 and 9 normal and PW hard stepped)
Wedges-52-Wilson Staff JP II BeCu(Bent from 54*) TT Release R   hard stepped

56-Wilson Sandy Andy BeCu-TT Release R tipped same as 8 iron

60-Wilson Harmonized BeCu-(shaft same as 56*)
Putter-Nickent Tour Prototype Milled #1-35.5"-5* loft-74*Lie

Archived