Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Building your irons?

RaginCajun

On 11/23/2020 at 7:14 AM, RaginCajun said:

They 100% would. Didnt want to buy an oem built set at ~$700, then pay for shafts, grips, and labor while wasting the oem stuff. 

I can really relate to that.  Because of vario US factors, I've had to pass on a lot of iron sets, due to having to refit them for flex and the like.

It was a lot more pleasant when DG shafts were only $8 each.  😉

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

4 hours ago, RaginCajun said:

I am, but like @Kansas King suggested, was able to try out the kbs tour 105 with the D7 forged head. That shaft will work as long as I put a smooth swing on it. So ill most likely play it. Found a new set of c300 forged for $389 on hurricane golf, that price beats some used prices...

@fixyurdivot Go Irsh! The sub70 clubs look sweet and for a bargin. Hope that finish can hold up longer than a few rounds, especially with some whos name is @Manimal26. Ha

Sweet man that is awesome! and long story about the manimal name from my college days and should have copy righted it.... nothing like new fresh irons!

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

20 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

@RaginCajun Are you still looking? I might be able to help you out... @ncwoz can attest to my knowledge. I am not perfect but I am a fitter and I try to help people save money but still build high performing sets.

in regards to this extra weight can cause some issues with timing and such, and I am not sure what Golf works charges for assembly, but heads can be found if you know where to go and 2nd swing is a place I try to avoid in all honesty. happy to point you in the right direction though.

Where do you like to look for irons or iron heads?   I like to assemble clubs as a hobby and I am always looking for heads, irons, drivers, wedges, etc.  Ebay is about the only place I go.   Thanks.

Edited by SlowNLow

1 minute ago, SlowNLow said:

Where do you like to look for irons or iron heads?   I like to assemble clubs as a hobby and I am always looking for heads, irons, drivers, wedges, etc.  Ebay is about the only place I go.   Thanks.

depends on what you are looking for and which OEM... 

1 minute ago, SlowNLow said:

Say Mizuno JPX-919 Tours

I would get them from someone who is a top mizuno dealer who will have full demo sets and also sells used builds... they will pull the heads and keep the shafts for future builds... 

23 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

They also have the 699 series which are basically the same head in conventional satin finish.  Good find/price on the C300's; sounds like those were kind of your preference anyway. Hit em well.

I was eyeing the 699s until I found that deal on the c300s, Ive hit the c300s so its more piece of mind than anything. 

23 hours ago, azstu324 said:

In case you're unaware of how the DBM (diamondized black metal) finish works, it's actually not a coating like the cheap PVD that many major OEM's use. The coloring is implanted into the metal during the forging process. The clubs aren't actually pure black so much as a dark graphite. If you've ever seen the Cobra King MB/CB line or the hogan's, it's the same look.

To give reference, take any set of chrome, steel, silver colored clubs. Play them for a couple years and the color really doesn't change, but the finish just gets dulled a little. I played my DBMs for almost 3 years before switching to the TS-1's and the color went from dark graphite to very dark grey. With a cleaning of WD-40 from time to time, the wear is barely noticeable.

DBM should be the industry standard but sadly it's not. OEM's will save a few bucks with PVD.. and by a few I really mean a likely meaningless amount but that's their thing I guess. And it almost ensures that the customer will be back the next year for another new set because their clubs will look like trash. It's a sad story.

So all that said, if you like the look of black clubs, as long as they're DBM finish, you won't be disappointed.

Just a note on the TSW's, they don't have "micro grooves" in the sense that most others do. I'm talking about the mini milled grooves in between the grooves or patterned around the face. The do however have about 1/3 more grooves than most and as they're spaced closer together and the actual milling of the groove is slightly narrower. What does that mean for performance? Nothing at all. They perform as good as ANYTHING!

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

Thanks for dropping that knowledge! I have nam flashbacks of the PVD finish wearing off of my Ci11s. Next wedge will for sure be a Maltby. 

Intellectually maddening, soulfully satisfying 

I put together my own clubs and buy my components mostly from Hireko and Monark Golf. I play a small cast blade Acer Tour XV with little offset that I really like. In fact they are the best hitting irons I have ever had. I have a Maltby LW which I really like too because it is small like my blades and I picked it up for $15 on ebay with the grooves in great shape. I have a Modeo 5 wood which seems to be good for around 220 normally and it's easy to hit from the fairway. I'm going to pick up a 4h to round out my set.  I play cheap Apollo lightweight shafts that kick like DG S300's and I love them probably because at 20g lighter I feel the clubhead a lot better.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Want to give yall some closure and thank everyone that chimed in and dropped some knowledge to help me make a good informed decision. 

So I ended up going with the wilson staff c300 forged +2* up, kbs tour 105 stiff shaft .5" over, and some midsize GP CP2 grips. Hit them on the GC2 and thought, "these numbers and ball flight cant be right." So played 18 yesterday down in canon city, CO and was blown away! Coming from my standard length and lie uniflex shafted Wilson Ci11s, Contact was night and day, way more consistent. My misses went from wicked hozel rocket slices that went more right than down the fairway to pushes that were in the right rough or just OB, even managed to pull one or two which was unimaginable with my old irons. 

Im converted, I used to be in the camp of lessons and pracrice can overcome any club. Now seeing how much a fitting can help your game its a no brainer for anyone who golfs regularly. 

Intellectually maddening, soulfully satisfying