Testers ANNOUNCED: Top Flite Gamer Golf Balls

Golfspy_CG2

Tom

Orlando, FL 

Back to ProV1x 

I think at one time we all played a Top Flite Ball, like the Top Flite Z Balata & Titanium in the 90's.  5 yrs ago I discovered the Top Flight Gamer Tour after reading reviews in golf mag. It ranked something like 2nd to Pro V1. So I picked up a dozen at Dick's Sporting, actually 2 dozen for $34 and loved them. When playing not so good conditioned courses you don't like losing $5 golf balls. To my surprise the Gamer was very good, from driving to approach shots and even around the greens, chipping felt good. My golf buddies would laugh I'd be playing a Top Flite. That changed when I dropped a 68 or 69 on them, lol. Still use the ProV1 or ProV1x majority of time. But had no problem using Gamer, until they changed the ball. Used it one time and never tried again. Good to see company realized the mistake in replacing the Gamer. 

Callaway Maverick Pro - Std Length, 5-PW & A Wedge - Elevate 105 stiff Steel Shafts-

Callaway EPIC 9.0 Subzero - set at 10.0 Draw bias - 6.0 Stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Bobby Jones 21 degree - stiff flex

Wedges: Titleist SM5 - 54 (M Grind) wedge flex; SM5 60 (S grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron - Select Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Handicap 0.6

Hello, My name is Ben from Norway, ME. I play Top Flight XL in the summer and Titleist Pro V  in cooler weather.  My first experience playing a Top Flight was finding one. The ball was solid in the wind and I liked the feel with my irons & wedges. Thank you

Ben

Pat 

Boston, MA

Titleist ProV1

My experience with Top Flites is about as rocky as a Top Flite feels when you hit it. Whenever I find a Top Flite while playing I have to immediately hit the ball to the nearest woods or hazard, even if that means hitting a three wood perpendicular across 3 holes. Just today I found one on the practice putting green, moved it to the rough and crushed a little punchy 8 and sent that thing screaming into a tree so fast it almost needed an FAA flight plan. 

So why should I test these? Well if they can win me over they can win anyone over and I’m dying to be proven wrong about why Top Flites don’t deserve to grace the sacred grounds of a golf course. 

- Pat 

Mikey H

Old Forge, PA

current: Callaway Diablo Tour

*my previous experience is my first and only hole in 1. #9 at Glenmaura National playing with the Gamer with a truvis pattern drawn on

4F8F699D-929B-469C-9705-661339537C0A.jpeg

Edited by mvhoffman

Al

Yorktown, VA

Taylormade project (a), Top Flite D2 Feel

Have played Top Flite D2 Feel for several years and really like them. They spin very nicely and I don't see a huge distance difference between them and the project (a) ball.

Arthur

Lake Worth/Florida

Callaway Supersoft (and others on a whim)

I played Top Flite (Rock Flite) balls for a couple/few years when I took up golf 35 years ago. I hadn't played Top Flite again, ...Until... I saw a Dick's Advert for the Gamer Urethane. I bought a dozen to try, and loved them. I bought a couple more dozen just before they became unavailable. Believe it or not, I have a sleeve left in my "golf stuff" closet, that I have been saving, just cuz. I will be happy to check out the new Gamer. If it feels and performs like the urethane version; I am in. I guess I like golf balls that get discontinued: I also really liked the 3 layer Wilson Staff Duo Soft Spin.

Gamer.jpg

Arthur

Driver, Callaway Rogue
5W, Callaway Epic
7W, Honma TW747
Irons, 4 - A TM RocketBladez
Wedges, 54, 58 Callaway Mac Daddy 4
Putter, Odyssey O-Works Black 3

Ball Callaway ERC or Supersoft

Michael

Miami, FL

Srixon Q-Star Tour/ Z-Star XV

Played the Top-Flite Magna along with the Top-Flite Strata golf balls.  They were not the rocks that the XLs were.  I played the Strata for probably 5-6 years as it was an affordable option to the Titleist golf balls and way more durable than the balatas.

Michael Miami, FL
9.3 USGA index
Cobra Amp Cell D Driver stiff shaft 9.5 degree
Callaway 13 degree Diablo 3 wood stiff shaft
Tour Edge Exotics #3 19 degree rescue

E21 Rescue #4 23 degree rescue
TaylorMade M2 6 iron Stiff true temper shaft(4 iron)

Adams XTD A Tour Irons with S300 True Temper shafts 5- GW
Wilson Staff SW 56 degree
GEL Ruby 33 in cut down with Washington Capitals oversize grip

Matyas

Czech Republic

Srixon AD333 Tour

When I began playing golf, topflights were probably my most used golf balls. But it's been few years since I touched one. I'd really love to try one after all these years.

First Name David

City/State The Villages Florida

Current Ball Played Titlest NXT

Tell us your past experiences with any Top Flite ball.  Played Top Flite years ago, but it felt too hard for my taste.

Willie

New Bern, NC

Callaway Superhot 70

My experience has been limited to pitch practice in the back yard with a ton of "gimme" "rock-flite" XL's to more recently finding the occasional and playing the Top Flite D2 Distance.  I like the sound and feel of the D2 and it seems to play well from tee to green.   

WITB? :taylormade-small:10.5deg SLDR (R flex),  :taylormade-small:3HL/17 SLDR Series (R flex),:taylormade-small: 5/19 SLDR Series (R flex), :taylormade-small: 4h/22 SLDR Series (R flex), :callaway-small: DIablo graphite shaft irons (5 (R flex), 6-PW (A flex)), :cleveland-small: CBX 50, 54,& 58 wedges - graphite, :odyssey-small: White Iron 5 putter.   

Steven

Baltimore,Md

I was playing Srixon Q-star. But given the latest testing on the site and my own testing I’m looking for a new ball. I haven’t played a Top Flite in years.

23 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Testers Wanted 

The title of this testing opportunity already told you what ball is being tested.  But if it had been a blind test and we were to have listed the following aspects of this ball, how many would have guessed it was for a Top Flite Ball?

• 3-piece construction blends feel, control and distance. 
  • Dimple in Dimple Aerodynamics help maintain lift to generate maximum carry and distance
  • Soft, Ionomer cover provides elevated greenside control and improved touch
  • DuPont HPF mantle layer positioned between the core and cover reduces long game spin for accuracy
  • Larger, high-speed core construction optimizes lower compression for softer feel and ultimate distance off the tee
  • Combination of the re-engineered core, mantle layer and cover formulation elevates playability

Long gone are the days of being referred to as Top Rock.  The Top Flite Gamer is a surprisingly nice feeling ball with some real get up and go distance.   Don't take our word for it, we want you to test it and report back on it.

How to Apply

In a post below, please provide the following information, but DO NOT QUOTE this post when doing so.

First Name

City/State

Current Ball Played

Tell us your past experiences with any Top Flite ball. 

Bill

Villa Rica Ga.

Bridgestone B330

I tried the gamer when it first came out.  Great ball.  Then the cover changed and it lost a lot of its spin characteristics.

My name is Robert Brown.  I have played somewhere around 160 rounds of golf this year(2020).  I have played in South Carolina, Ohio and Pennsylvania.  I am around a 14 handicap from the senior tees(Gold).  I'm 74 years old and like a bargain golf ball.  

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to Testers ANNOUNCED: Top Flite Gamer Golf Balls
  • GolfSpy MPR locked this topic