Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The best putter ever! I need help to find it again! Please Help!

Mattias72

Hi, I am struggling with a thing that obsessed me and a friend for so long. Two years ago we were in a golf shop trying out diff putters and we came across a sort of large stable blade putter that felt super balanced and solid . It was (as we remembered it) larger(longer) head, It was not a tank model. 

After that we went on trying drivers and forgot about it until we both started remembering how nice it was. We have asked the store and they don’t recall the specific one. Now I need your guys help! 

What large blade putters do you guys know from not so common putters brand that still would make it to a quite normal golf shop? Cobra?mizuno? any half common putter brand that have made a stable blade putter as you guys heard positive things about?

I had spend hours and hours on eBay and googling around so I would pretty much buy the person that makes me find it an extra one for you! 

That really isn't much information to go on.    Mainstream shops often carry smaller brands simply because there is a rep in the area or the manager likes the product.   Putters come in all shapes and sizes to larger/longer doesn't really help. Tank models are more about weight than size.  Were there other models from the same brand?  

Large stable, balanced and solid makes me think Cure.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thank you for adding to my topic!

That is true that it might be too less of information, sorry for that. 

I am sort of aware of most of brands out there except the really unknown one, but i still recognized this brand and thought to myself "haven't seen this brand on putters for a while" but still recognize it as a known brand. So thats why i said Mizuno, Cobra, Adams, Mcgregor etc that you still see once in a while but not as usual as Odyssey, scotty, Taylormade, ping for example.

You're right in tank models is more about weight. But maybe I should change it to, long head(that what the feel was, sort of oversized), with a alot of balance feel for putter. I already bought and tried Wilson windy and the OS Taylormade. But it is in that sort of category I'm searching. The Cure is indeed a balanced and large putter but its more normal blade putter im looking for.

I know its as hard for all of you guys to know from the information i'm giving, but iIm grasping at straws to get a tip that might lead me to it. Maybe i should open it up to "give me tips to a stable balanced blade putter that you guys tried except from Taylormade Odyssey and Ping"? And i eventually will find it.. but yeah, just hoping for a miracle since ive been scrolling through every putter test, every google-picture of blade putters so I'm trying a new way.

Feel free to hit me with every thought that cross your mind! I am thankful for every tip I get!

13 hours ago, Mattias72 said:

I am sort of aware of most of brands out there except the really unknown one, but i still recognized this brand and thought to myself "haven't seen this brand on putters for a while" but still recognize it as a known brand. So thats why i said Mizuno, Cobra, Adams, Mcgregor etc that you still see once in a while but not as usual

Mizuno started putters last year,  Cobra hasn't done a putter until this year,  Adam's just got back in business a few weeks ago, and MacGregor hasn't made clubs in a while.    Could be EvnRoll,  they have a couple of blade style putters that are fairly long.     Take a look at the 2018 most wanted test to see if the name or putter rings a bell:  https://mygolfspy.com/2018-most-wanted-blade-putter/.  could look at 2017 results too since some putters carry over from year to year.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Was it an Edel torque balanced putter?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

On 11/20/2020 at 5:04 AM, Mattias72 said:

I am sort of aware of most of brands out there except the really unknown one, but i still recognized this brand and thought to myself "haven't seen this brand on putters for a while" but still recognize it as a known brand. So thats why i said Mizuno, Cobra, Adams, Mcgregor etc that you still see once in a while but not as usual as Odyssey, scotty, Taylormade, ping for example.

You're right in tank models is more about weight. But maybe I should change it to, long head(that what the feel was, sort of oversized), with a alot of balance feel for putter. I already bought and tried Wilson windy and the OS Taylormade. But it is in that sort of category I'm searching. The Cure is indeed a balanced and large putter but its more normal blade putter im looking for.

I know its as hard for all of you guys to know from the information i'm giving, but iIm grasping at straws to get a tip that might lead me to it. Maybe i should open it up to "give me tips to a stable balanced blade putter that you guys tried except from Taylormade Odyssey and Ping"? And i eventually will find it.. but yeah, just hoping for a miracle since ive been scrolling through every putter test, every google-picture of blade putters so I'm trying a new way.

Feel free to hit me with every thought that cross your mind! I am thankful for every tip I get!

A few putters come to mind, and a simple Google search of "high MOI putters" came back with some of the ones I was thinking:

Evnroll ER9 10k putter

Cure putter

The lab putter

And the edel brick

(Honorable mention for Axis putters)

I attached some pictures. Are any of these the one?

facesole.jpg

EvnRoll ER9-10K.jpg

Evnroll-ER9-2.jpg

Cure-RX-Putters-112016.jpg

LAB_DFPutterBlack.jpg

EdelBrickPutterFront_300x200.jpg

images.jpeg

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

On 11/20/2020 at 5:04 AM, Mattias72 said:

Do you remember the hosel, and how it attached to the putter head? That might help narrow it down. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

On 11/20/2020 at 8:48 PM, cnosil said:

Mizuno started putters last year,  Cobra hasn't done a putter until this year,  Adam's just got back in business a few weeks ago, and MacGregor hasn't made clubs in a while.    Could be EvnRoll,  they have a couple of blade style putters that are fairly long.     Take a look at the 2018 most wanted test to see if the name or putter rings a bell:  https://mygolfspy.com/2018-most-wanted-blade-putter/.  could look at 2017 results too since some putters carry over from year to year.

Apologies for nitpicking....

Mizuno has done putters a couple times in the last couple decades.  20 years ago, they had the TP Mills putters, and they had Bettinardi do something for them a bit more recently.

Cobra had Bobby Grace making putters for them at some point.  @chisag's beloved Grace 2200 was sold under the Cobra label for a time.

I realize you're looking at more recent product, but I couldn't help chime in.  🙂

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Simple starting point for some more info.  What color was the head?  (black or normal metal?)  Do you remember any of the paint fill colors?

Like jddaigneault asked do you remember what type of neck it had? (plumbers neck, flow neck, center shafted?)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

8 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Apologies for nitpicking....

Mizuno has done putters a couple times in the last couple decades.  20 years ago, they had the TP Mills putters, and they had Bettinardi do something for them a bit more recently.

Cobra had Bobby Grace making putters for them at some point.  @chisag's beloved Grace 2200 was sold under the Cobra label for a time.

I realize you're looking at more recent product, but I couldn't help chime in.  🙂

You are correct,  I was just thinking of the 2018 timeframe that the OP specified.  You could also add that Bobby Grace made putters for MacGregor recently too 🙂

Cure comes to mind but I think Ping and Macgregor have made long bladed putters in the past. Did the putter look look like it had two round brass weights molded in the bottom of it? It it did, I think you probably were hitting a Macgregor Response or Jack Nicklaus anniversary version. Otherwise I don't know because there have been several single product companies that have made large, high MOI blade putters over the last decade.

Do you remember if this looked like a new or old putter? Was the putter used? Do you recall anything about the grip? Did it have a face insert? Was the putter painted?

On 11/22/2020 at 11:59 AM, jddaigneault said:

Do you remember the hosel, and how it attached to the putter head? That might help narrow it down. 

On 11/23/2020 at 12:46 AM, Kansas King said:

Cure comes to mind but I think Ping and Macgregor have made long bladed putters in the past. Did the putter look look like it had two round brass weights molded in the bottom of it? It it did, I think you probably were hitting a Macgregor Response or Jack Nicklaus anniversary version. Otherwise I don't know because there have been several single product companies that have made large, high MOI blade putters over the last decade.

Do you remember if this looked like a new or old putter? Was the putter used? Do you recall anything about the grip? Did it have a face insert? Was the putter painted?

Thanks everyone for the inputs! 

According to the pictures it was not that big, it was a bladeshape putter.

And thank you @Kansas Kingwhen i googled the Macgregor Response putter and found this review my eyes went wide open haha: 

When he holds it in the end of the video it definietly ring a bell of that massive clubhead and as he says, super stable. I'm on it right now trying to find a new version similar to this (lots of old ones on ebay) in left hand and will order one to see if it could be the one. I am so thankful for this lead haha! 

According to the video above, do anyone have a similar to putter that reminds it of Grey/slightly black oversized blade putter as a Macgregor Response ZT Putter? 

2 hours ago, Mattias72 said:

Thanks everyone for the inputs! 

According to the pictures it was not that big, it was a bladeshape putter.

And thank you @Kansas Kingwhen i googled the Macgregor Response putter and found this review my eyes went wide open haha: 

When he holds it in the end of the video it definietly ring a bell of that massive clubhead and as he says, super stable. I'm on it right now trying to find a new version similar to this (lots of old ones on ebay) in left hand and will order one to see if it could be the one. I am so thankful for this lead haha! 

According to the video above, do anyone have a similar to putter that reminds it of Grey/slightly black oversized blade putter as a Macgregor Response ZT Putter? 

It's funny that you posted this because I really didn't know much about these putters until the other day when I was in a local club builders shop where he sells a lot of used clubs and I picked up one of those MacGregor Response's because I thought it looked weird. The head was a just a huge blade but it actually felt nice and I briefly considered giving the $10 or $15 he wanted for it just to give it a go. I looked around online and didn't really see any new versions of the putter but it's really hard to tell how long a blade putter is by just looking at pictures because the Response looks huge in person and kind of normal online.

16 minutes ago, Kansas King said:

It's funny that you posted this because I really didn't know much about these putters until the other day when I was in a local club builders shop where he sells a lot of used clubs and I picked up one of those MacGregor Response's because I thought it looked weird. The head was a just a huge blade but it actually felt nice and I briefly considered giving the $10 or $15 he wanted for it just to give it a go. I looked around online and didn't really see any new versions of the putter but it's really hard to tell how long a blade putter is by just looking at pictures because the Response looks huge in person and kind of normal online.

Exactly! And ive spent hours and hours and have never really found a topic or a thread with large blade putters, when u can see they are really big. It is hard for sure. 

My concern about it all is that I don’t find any new ones either that could match up this version, since the one I tested was new-ish and definitely not used and 20+ y old. But I am so happy that I am one step closer to finding it! 

3 minutes ago, Mattias72 said:

Exactly! And ive spent hours and hours and have never really found a topic or a thread with large blade putters, when u can see they are really big. It is hard for sure. 

My concern about it all is that I don’t find any new ones either that could match up this version, since the one I tested was new-ish and definitely not used and 20+ y old. But I am so happy that I am one step closer to finding it! 

It can be really hard to find low-volume clubs that some golf shops carry occasionally. I just finally found the driver I used in high school last week. There is only one picture of it I found on the internet and it's on eBay currently. I have looked for this club a few times over the years with no success. I found the model name using the Wayback Machine and going through the old manufacturers website from 2007 (Square Two). I used a Square Two T-1 driver for a little over a year in high school that I bought from a local GolfUSA. I won't say the driver was made well as a weight popped out and then it finally bit the dust when the hosel tore out of the head. However, that was the easiest driver I have ever used to hit long drives with. Looking back, I question the legality of the club and if the Beta-Ti face was way hotter than the COR or CT limits were at the time. However, the Square Two website at the time may no indication the driver exceeded USGA limits. I did some additional digging to figure out what happened to Square Two Golf and found it went through a few private equity buy-outs and the rights for Square Two (probably not worth anything) are likely owned by a company that owns Pride Sports (they make Soft Spikes and some other golf stuff), ORCA coolers, and a couple other entities. It really is interesting digging through history a little to see how things have changed over the years. 

Absolutely! Love that you found it in the end! Im still not sure if this is the one, I bought one on eBay today and will try it out but also asked McGregor what their most recent model on this and hope to get an answer from them on that. But this sport, and maybe even more the equipment sometimes, is fantastic!