Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Why Do YOU Change Putters?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Putters are still the most changed club in the bag.

So this made me wonder...what makes YOU change to a different putter?

Tell me all the things in the past about a putter that have made you want to make a change.

Some examples: (weight, hosel, feel, finish, or anything outside of those that make you want to change)

#TruthDigest

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the stroke gets a bit off, I change putters. IMHO, every putter makes you set up and stroke it just a bit differently. When the stroke goes wonky, it's time to find another to get things back on track.

JMHO

YMMV

For me that's one club I hardly ever change. I've played a total of 4 putters since playing golf. My first putter was a 25.00 answer style no name bought at Middletown golf course where my Dad played when I was approx 28 yrs old. I played that putter for a year or so and whenever the Zebra putter came out I switched to this putter. I think it was because I was watching Raymond Floyd on TV and I wanted to putt like him at first. I used the Zebra until it actually broke. The sole plate had screws and on the inside it had a bolt welded to the sole so you could adjust weight. It was pretty primitive compared to todays standard but it had if I remember 3/4 washers that you could add or subtract. Anyways it lasted about 4/5 years when I bought my first SC Platinum mid slant. i used that putter up until I found out about Tour putters and bought me a Bettinardi BB-1 Tour exempt 355 gram putter. I've been using that ever since. So for over a period of 30 years 4 putters. I'm not saying I played for 30 years, I played once and a while in my 20's as i was busy working having 5 children. I really got serious approx around 10 years ago and have been playing every weekend since besides the last 2 years as I've been out injured. But I'm coming back this year with a vengeance!!! LOL.

How was that for an explanation?

PS: it's funny I wrote all this and I just had an old SC Tour Putter restored while I was out injured that may move the BB1 out of the bag as I just like that Newport 2 (answer style head) even though there basically the same putter head. Basically.

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Putters are still the most changed club in the bag.

So this made me wonder...what makes YOU change to a different putter?

Tell me all the things in the past about a putter that have made you want to make a change.

Some examples: (weight, hosel, feel, finish, or anything outside of those that make you want to change)

Broken shaft, Didn't float, couldn't find it after I threw it.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I really don't change that often. But sometimes I will try different head/weight/loft combos to see what kind of results I get. I experiment around to see what works and what doesn't. Right now, I'm trying a heel shafted player's mallet since I've never gamed that kind of putter before.

Before that, I played a Scotty Anser design for four years.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

I may have an issue with buying and trying putters all the time, buy my Byron has been in the bag for almost a year. Some of it was finding the one to meet my stroke. I really need a putter near face balanced, but I like a blade. Longneck was the answer.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

I change it because I have so many reasons, aka putters, to change it. Having 1 putter is like having a car for a very long time...sometimes you just want change!!

RIght there with you. I kept going back to the old one. New one should be here in a week or so though. :P

Volvo Intorqueo

I find something I like and putt with it until I find something better. Which, for 4 months, hasn't happened. So, I am doing good...

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

• SPY VIP

I find something I like and putt with it until I find something better. Which, for 4 months, hasn't happened. So, I am doing good...

To the putterhead, a month is like a year to others. Four months is indeed cause to celebrate.

Staying away from puttertalk also extends the life of the current gamer.

Volvo Intorqueo

I change for lots of different reasons. The first one that comes to mind is: when the putter I'm using isn't getting it done. I'm certainly not saying that I blame the arrow, I know it's the indian, but it's nice to go to the green and say to yourself, "Now it'll be different, I've got a new putter in the bag!" This past season, I didn't have to do any switching for bad putting, but I did switch between a couple of putters based on weight. When I was playing on slow greens, I used my 350g putters and when I was on fast greens I went with some very lightweight John Byrons.

This year I'm trying to play 1 putter all season. The weight is right in the middle, it's got my alignment aid of choice (dot), and it's copper plated so I don't have to worry about weather. I'll keep you updated on how this whole "I only need 1 putter" experiment goes.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I change for lots of different reasons. The first one that comes to mind is: when the putter I'm using isn't getting it done. I'm certainly not saying that I blame the arrow, I know it's the indian, but it's nice to go to the green and say to yourself, "Now it'll be different, I've got a new putter in the bag!" This past season, I didn't have to do any switching for bad putting, but I did switch between a couple of putters based on weight. When I was playing on slow greens, I used my 350g putters and when I was on fast greens I went with some very lightweight John Byrons.

This year I'm trying to play 1 putter all season. The weight is right in the middle, it's got my alignment aid of choice (dot), and it's copper plated so I don't have to worry about weather. I'll keep you updated on how this whole "I only need 1 putter" experiment goes.

Any news on the copper plating? I think that Dave may be tired of me asking about mine...

Volvo Intorqueo

Any news on the copper plating? I think that Dave may be tired of me asking about mine...

I haven't heard anything since last week when they said they'd be coming in this week. If I get him on the phone tonight, I'll ask. I hate being a pest, particularly since now I'm on the other side of the, "Is it done yet?" emails half the time.

• SPY VIP

I haven't heard anything since last week when they said they'd be coming in this week. If I get him on the phone tonight, I'll ask. I hate being a pest, particularly since now I'm on the other side of the, "Is it done yet?" emails half the time.

Sand faster! Can't you use a hair dryer on the varnish? :D

I know that the waiting time translate into fine Byron magic craftsmanship. BUT I WANT IT NOW!!!! :D

Volvo Intorqueo

Sand faster! Can't you use a hair dryer on the varnish? :D

I know that the waiting time translate into fine Byron magic craftsmanship. BUT I WANT IT NOW!!!! :lol:

Funny that you mention the hair dryer. Just last night I was using this giant ceramic space heater to make polyurethane dry faster (actually, to make it dry at all, it's still cold here).

I will effort to find a putter in the next month and stick with it for the entire season. I vow not to break, throw, sink, or bounce my new putter. I will be good to her, and she will be ok to me... just like a real marriage. Updates to follow.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

I will effort to find a putter in the next month and stick with it for the entire season. I vow not to break, throw, sink, or bounce my new putter. I will be good to her, and she will be ok to me... just like a real marriage. Updates to follow.

If you are looking for suggestions, complete this word puzzle: _yron _organ

You may use the letters B and M.

Volvo Intorqueo

Good question. Don't really know the answer. If I see one that I fancy and the price is affordable, I'll take it and hide it from the Missus.

Haha, good plan, just don't get caught. That $300 Scotty is hard to explain!

If you are looking for suggestions, complete this word puzzle: _yron _organ

You may use the letters B and M.

+1. Seems like plenty are floating around classifieds and ebay lately at pretty nice prices.

• SPY VIP

+1. Seems like plenty are floating around classifieds and ebay lately at pretty nice prices.

Yep. Saw that too. Just missed a copper 008x two weeks ago. went for 190ish :P

Volvo Intorqueo

Yep. Saw that too. Just missed a copper 008x two weeks ago. went for 190ish :)

Ouch. I'm not a huge 008 guy as I don't really like double bend necks, particularly on blades. Seems like a lot of people agree with me on that, those 008s never seem to move very fast or at very good prices (especially for solid copper).

• SPY VIP

Ouch. I'm not a huge 008 guy as I don't really like double bend necks, particularly on blades. Seems like a lot of people agree with me on that, those 008s never seem to move very fast or at very good prices (especially for solid copper).

Wasn't looking for a 008 either, but the copper caught me. Threw 180 at it. Lost with 3s. Usual bay experience...

Volvo Intorqueo

Yep. Saw that too. Just missed a copper 008x two weeks ago. went for 190ish :)

is that 190.... DOLLARS???? yikes. more than I spent on my entire bag.

• SPY VIP

You put a bag together for less than $190? Amazing. How much of that has to do with working in the golf industry?

Maybe it speaks to the prices given for trade-ins at his shop. :)

"Sorry, that Fubuki is not the original shaft. I can only give you $15 trade for that driver..."

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived