GolfSpy_X

Why Do YOU Change Putters?

My current putter has been in longer than any. It was a revolving door. Im not sure why I just like a new one periodically. I am about to bench my putter just because I feel stagnant with it. No rhyme or reason.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Used to game an Odyssey White Hot Pro #9, but replaced it with my current gamer because I had a hard time with the way it sat at address. Some days, I would put the Odyssey down by the ball and everything looked exactly as it should and I'd put a good stroke on it. Other days it just never looked right to me and I'd manipulate the stroke based on what I saw. Don't really know why the #9 was so difficult for me, but it just was. I demoed several models before settling on my 6m, but nothing felt as good or setup as easy (going from 34" to 33" didn't hurt either). I think I'm averaging about 1.7 putts per hole now and even had one round earlier this season where I averaged 1.4. This club won't be leaving my bag anytime soon.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2010 at 10:22 PM, GolfSpy_X said:

Putters are still the most changed club in the bag.

So this made me wonder...what makes YOU change to a different putter?

Tell me all the things in the past about a putter that have made you want to make a change.

Some examples: (weight, hosel, feel, finish, or anything outside of those that make you want to change)

Feel first then looks.

I've had expensive Scotties that felt like a dull Clunk and went nowhere, to mallets that you couldn't even feel the ball come off the face.

My current Ping Anser 2 makes a beautiful sound off the sweetspot but feels light, so I'm probably going to keep looking/changing until the right putter finds me.

Oh, for the cliché obvious reason that I _think_ a new putter is magically going to work better than the previous one!

Was using an Odyssey 1W for a few seasons (after going through a few putters of varying styles my first few seasons golfing) but then as I got more serious about improving my game, my putting didn't seem to keep up...

Tried different styles of gripping the putter, slightly moving the ball position up/back or in/out, adding lead tape to the flange, bending it another degree upright, having a shop check the loft vs my setup, tried straightening out my stroke, worked on the "clock" drill, etc.

So what's a guy to do?

Try another putter, of course!

First test was a long face-balanced mallet. Liked this for longer putts as it seemed to help with distance control, but otoh was not better on short putts. This was a Cleveland model and what I did like was the TFI face - very soft yet solid feel.

Then, somehow, happily, I was selected for the MLA XDream review (yea!) ... and then that became "the" putter. Good on distance control and good on short putts. So it displaced the 1W.

Then..... This season..... Dunno but wasn't 100% feeling it.....

More lessons and more work on the full swing but the putting was not commensurately improving despite consistent practice. So... Picked up a used very widebody flange Machine M2A Converter out of the Classifieds (also a full milled head, no face insert) and that felt like it was helping me putt better...

..until it wasn't...

Again felt like the putting sort of plateaued while the full swing continued to improve.

So put the M2A and the XDream side by side on the practice mat at home and at the practice green outside. I also resurrected an old iPhone 4 and put the old iPing app on it to test my putting stroke - told me I'm on the borderline going from Slight Arc to Strong Arc, suggesting I might benefit from more toe hang.

So I re-weighted the XDream to both make it a bit heavier and to add a little more toe hang, then added a bit more lead tape to the M2A to get about the same amount of toe hang and then back to the practice mat and the practice green.

Not counting score but just observing with which putter I seemed to be starting putts on my line more frequently plus which left me with easy 2-putts .. ie. with which I had better distance control and helped with 3-putt avoidance .. more often -- the XDream turned out to be the winner.

So that's my putter story.

And - of course - through all this I've come to realize that to really improve my on-course putting performance ... I really need to get better at (well .. getting the approach much closer to the hole! ..but really...) reading greens.

I change putters because all of the putters I use are no good, and you know as well as I do, it has to be the putter, because it can’t be the putter. 

• Like 4

Up until about 3 years ago, I had the same putter for over 20 years. I won that putter at a Church Festival. It was at a putting booth. For like 2 bucks you got 3 putts on a astro-turf green , with a severe left to right break, from about 25 feet.  I drained 3 putts out of 3 putts and won the putter. It was a black Stan Thompson, with an Anser style head. No, great putter on the market by any means. But, that putter worked for me. It was kind of like Walter Matthau's Green Hornet in Grumpy Old Men. It was me and Stan. Then one round on the green Stan's head broke off. I was devasted. I tried about 4 putters for about 21/2 years. Different heads, Kuchar style, you name it. I could not find Stan. Bought a Stan on e bay and tried that, it was not the same. I'm happy to say, this year around end of April, I bought a Cleveland Huntington Beach 1. I really like it. I am comfortable with it, and have reasonable confidence in myself with it. That being said , it is not my original Stan. Stan, was like your first kiss. It may not be your forever true love, but it was a memory I will never forget.

I don't.  No need.  I hit putts where I aim them, and distance control is reasonably good.  Why would I change? 😏

• Like 1

Basically for me it is just screwing around with different putters because I have so many vintage ones. Part of my fun now that I do not take golf seriously. But if I am serious and the money is really on the line either my rusty Scotty or my Zing 2 is in the bag. Yesterday the rusty Scotty was in the bag and I putted real good with it. Bear told me I needed to stop screwing around and keep it in the bag. Yeah I told him basically you are right but I have so much fun screwing around with my old Bullseyes or Armour Ironmasters or Spalding TP Mills or for that matter my old Tad Moore putters too not to mention some of my older Pings. 

• Like 2

My putters in rotation as follow:

Evnroll ER6
Bellum -Winmore 707
Nike Method Drone
SC Kombi
Slotline SKM693

I was not putting very well, so I started the rotation, after a week with Bellum-Winmore, I switched to the Nike and was rolling very smooth. Now I am ready to switch back to the Evnroll.

Don’t ask me why, but it makes the Evnroll work better....LOL

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Since last year, I've gone through 3 other putters and finally landed on one I like a LOT. All prior ones of course were all PING and all Anser style. Started with a 35", down to a couple at 34's and finally landed on my current B60 measuring in at 33" and is my fourth flat stick in roughly 12-months. I love this thing and it should be with me for a long, long time. Even tough it hails from their Vault 2.0 series, it's not a real looker, nor is it a piece of jewelry like a Scotty, but damn! It really putts well for me. It'd better. All other sticks are gone...🙄

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Since last year, I've gone through 3 other putters and finally landed on one I like a LOT. All prior ones of course were all PING and all Anser style. Started with a 35", down to a couple at 34's and finally landed on my current B60 measuring in at 33" and is my fourth flat stick in roughly 12-months. I love this thing and it should be with me for a long, long time. Even tough it hails from their Vault 2.0 series, it's not a real looker, nor is it a piece of jewelry like a Scotty, but damn! It really putts well for me. It'd better. All other sticks are gone...🙄

HA HA you aint seen my Scotty it is far from a piece of jewelry. It is rusty and beat up. It is actually a scrap pile refugee because I found it on a pile of scrap at work. Now from the pics I am going to try to post this is what it looks like. It has two names around here> "Junkyard Refugee" and "The Rusty SOB Scotty" I just call her "Rusty"20160112_155541.jpg20160115_171623.jpg20160112_184552.jpg

• Like 1