TESTERS WANTED! ×

My First Pro-Am

fixyurdivot

Yesterday while paying for my round at Desert Hills, the manager asked about my interest in participating on the upcoming Sunbelt Tour Pro-Am.  It is a "step-aside" format with 4 amateurs and a pro.  Based on what I've read about the format, it sounds like a "best ball" except that the player whose shot is chosen for the groups subsequent shot position does not hit (steps aside).  I've never played a Pro-Am or this specific format, but it sounds fun so I signed up.  The Sunbelt Tour is a developmental tour for the Champions Tour. It will be interesting to see if I recognize any of the players names as I've followed the CT for many years. 

Have any of you played pro-ams and this format?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I haven't but sounds cool .. good luck ! 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Played in a lot of Pro Ams but never with this format. Sounds pretty interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Not in a pro-am, but I have played in a local tournament with this format.  It will take out the better player from the next shot, so puts more pressure on the others to make a good shot.  Not a bad format; all players need to be pretty good.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've played that format a few times (not in a pro-am, but local events). It actually adds a bit of strategy to the "which shot do we choose. In a pro-am, it would add even more. Examples:

• On a par 5, pro blasts a huge drive, but carry to green is over a penalty area or deep bunkers. None of the ams can really carry it with certainty. From the ball that's 20 yards further back, pro will be 50-50 on getting there. Which do you play?
  • On a par 3, pro drops it to 15 feet. One of the ams hits it 22 feet. Do you let the pro putt from further out, with 2 reads in front of him?

Lots like this -- if you're making it "competition", it's a thinking format.

It should also speed play up; I'm sure the pros prefer a 4 hour proam vs. a 6 hour one!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 9:04 AM, goaliedad30 said:

I've played that format a few times (not in a pro-am, but local events). It actually adds a bit of strategy to the "which shot do we choose. In a pro-am, it would add even more. Examples:

• On a par 5, pro blasts a huge drive, but carry to green is over a penalty area or deep bunkers. None of the ams can really carry it with certainty. From the ball that's 20 yards further back, pro will be 50-50 on getting there. Which do you play?
  • On a par 3, pro drops it to 15 feet. One of the ams hits it 22 feet. Do you let the pro putt from further out, with 2 reads in front of him?

Lots like this -- if you're making it "competition", it's a thinking format.

It should also speed play up; I'm sure the pros prefer a 4 hour proam vs. a 6 hour one!

That's what I've subsequently read.  This course typically does not have black tee markers but there is room on many of the tee areas for them.  I suspect they might either create a set of blacks or move the existing blue markers back further.  I can think of two holes on this course that your driver scenario would likely be in play - and particularly depending on wind conditions.  Good point on the par 3's.  I'll just focus on trying to play well and let the pro decide.  

Happy to report I showed up for the match.  Our pro was Russell (Russ) Papa.  I had absolutely no idea who I was playing with when I arrived but it turned out to be a really fun group. We ended up in 5th place out of 18 teams.  The key to the "step aside" is that the pro plays his ball all the way through and the best scenario is that the 4 amateurs, basically playing best ball with whoever's shot is chose not taking a shot/putt from that location, try and beat his score.  He only had to bail us out on a couple of holes (using one of his shots) and thereby taking him out of a shot, or using his gross score.  

Even better is that I met two local guys who are interested in hooking up for some weekday rounds 👍.