TESTERS WANTED! ×

Nippon 105 vs 120

leska

Hi. New to the forums here and hoping to get some help on shaft selektion !

Atm im playing mizuno 919 forged with Nippon 105 x-stiff in them. Swing speed with 7 iron is 90-91 when im swinging well

Been looking at the new Taylormade 770, but unfortunately they dont offer Nippon 105 in x-stiff ( in my country ) only 120 in x-stiff, but om not sure if i can handle 120 in x-stiff, or if i should go 120 stiff hardstepped maybe ? 

Thanks in advance

First it’s best to get fit. Second you don’t provide any information about your ball flight that would allow anyone here to make a somewhat educated guess to whether the 120S would work for you. Swing speed is only one aspect and isnt the top data point that one should use. Third the 105 and 120 have different shaft profiles so it’s possible if you like the 105 you won’t like the 120. Lastly there isn’t a guarantee that the 105 or even the 120 would be a good fit in the p770.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

My iron flight is very high. Not balloing high, but still gets forward

But yea, after googling and finding more threads with info, i can read, like you are saying, that just because i play 105 x-stiff now, that might not be a good fit in the 770

I think ill make fitting with the nearest fitter and see what we can find

1 hour ago, leska said:

My iron flight is very high. Not balloing high, but still gets forward

But yea, after googling and finding more threads with info, i can read, like you are saying, that just because i play 105 x-stiff now, that might not be a good fit in the 770

I think ill make fitting with the nearest fitter and see what we can find

If you hit a high ball already it’s possible the 120s could bring it down a little bit that may have other impacts on your ball flight. Also there’s an 8g difference between the 105 and 120 in x stiff

heres a couple pics to show the differences in the two shafts.

in stuff flex I prefer the 120 over the 105. In my play with the original 790s and demoing other TM heads the Nippon shafts are a good fit for the head, it’s just a matter of getting the right shaft Nippon modus shaft in them. 

C1EF3E02-ABBE-491E-B9BD-74C5DB7806B9.png

5B23DDA7-DCB8-4A88-A1A1-F8F9D70F87D7.png

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

15 hours ago, leska said:

Hi. New to the forums here and hoping to get some help on shaft selektion !

Atm im playing mizuno 919 forged with Nippon 105 x-stiff in them. Swing speed with 7 iron is 90-91 when im swinging well

Been looking at the new Taylormade 770, but unfortunately they dont offer Nippon 105 in x-stiff ( in my country ) only 120 in x-stiff, but om not sure if i can handle 120 in x-stiff, or if i should go 120 stiff hardstepped maybe ? 

Thanks in advance

So I am a huge Nippon fan and its probably the only OEM I would say I truly know in and out, that being said the Modus 105 X weighs about 113g +/- and the Modus 120 X weighs about 119g +/- (manufacturing tolerances). The numbers are not actually the weight of the shafts for example to Modus 120 TX weighs about 125g +/- where the Modus 125 X weighs about 128g +/-. Weigh can be used for a few things. for example if your AoA is very step going lighter could help you shallow out easier and vice versa. Also the Modus 120 when it was a prototype was dubbed DP for dual profile and was designed both for people who release the club early and late. While they do have their chart on their website the modus 120 can launch super low high or somewhere in between depending on how you release the club.

Also welcome to the forum! What country are you located in? I might be able to help you a tad more. 

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

Also here is some Nippon information for you...

Protos I know of:

E11 - Heavier side, similar to Tour125 IMO. Has a nice kick, low/mid flight, Mid spin. I have a stiff in my 3i gamer. Maybe north of 130.

2S14 - Heaviest out there, 136-138g, based on Tour125 with extra stiff handle & tip. Low launch and Low spin

C10 - Very similar to 2S14 IMO but slightly lighter and slightly less stiff. A beefy Tour125, maybe a touch more kick than 2S14. This is my gamer in my wedges in Stiff

2T15 - Often see this in titleists or from the UK, I have not hit it but seems to be similar to 125. I wondered it was a newer version of the 105T shaft, but I don't know much on this one.

2F15 - Lighter shaft I think in the 115/118 ish, higher launch and spin than Tour 105 but more like older 1050 shaft IMO.

DP - Proto to the retial Tour120

ORA - Modus version of Super Peening Orange. Mid launch / mid spin, like a tigher tour125 IMO. This is my gamer 4-PW.

ST - Proto to the retail Tour105

2G18 - Proto to the retail Tour130. I currently have a single S and X but games Stiffs for over a year.

LSL - Lower spin & launch but to me is a cross between tour 105 & tour 125. Closer to a Tour105 IMO. (I think these became the new Modus 115)

LSL2 - A stepless LSL, unsure of any performance changes to LSL (currently own a set of X.) 

A - Stepless version of retail Tour125. IMO it has a bit more kick but also a different feel at impact. I hit it once at the PGA show but have seen some on ebay.

125TX - A proto of the retail 125X but in TX. I owned a set, was amazingly stiff, like DGX7 with a touch more mid kick but stiffer tip section.

3N14 - Little info available but was told it is a typical profile with player requested tweaks. My guess is very similar to Tour125 but with some very minimal tweak to stiffness of mid section or tip. Mid kick, mid weight.

C10: I can not remember off the top of my head

Regarding the prototype models on tour- they really are prototypes, in that changes are made in reaction to the player testing, and if a prototype model version performs well, that particular prototype version may "graduate" to become a MODUS3 model available for sale. However, it is difficult to list all the prototype models and their specifications, as they are moving through a process of change.

I have been able to hit many of the different models, some prototypes, and as a fitter, I think all of the current models are great, and I am guessing that the "prototype journey" is a part of why these current 4 MODUS3 models work so well.

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

Im living in Denmark 😃 Always just been browsing the forums

I appreciate all the help, but from what i can read so far, from you guys and other sites, the 120 Nippon is a Strange one, because it can launch low for some and others it launhces higher then 105 Nippon, so i really have to go test the 120

• 4 months later...

I have the mizuno JPX forged 921s with 120S shafts. I have enjoyed them but I get an inconsistent trajectory with my 6-7 iron and tend to get a very high launch from 8-gap. Separately, the 120S generally feel heavy. Iron swing speed is 89-92 mph. I just bought the 105X and am hoping to get more consistent ball flight from 6-9. More to come.