Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Do 70% of your shots come from only 30% of your clubs?

Bucky CC

1114930728_Screenshot2020-11-23074810.png.bcb53d6e13e97ab72a2d55363198110d.png

Thought this post from the MGS twitter page was pretty interesting so I looked at my Arccos stats to verify.  According to my last 20 times out (some 9 hole rounds) I've used my top four clubs 75.9% of the time.

2145782309_Screenshot2020-11-23072630.png.8aae3288fd46d0bebb2e4fb058d1fa58.png

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly these numbers mean. Do I change my limited practice to to skew heavily towards driver, wedges, and putter (probably not a bad idea).  Do I replace them on a more frequent basis and roll with my other clubs longer since I don't use them as often?  I do have some pro shop credit to use up soon!

What does everyone else's numbers look like?

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

I'm sure it's true for me. I use my driver, 8i, GW & putter much more than other clubs, then my 4i. I rarely use my 3W, 3H, 56* or 60*. My other clubs aren't used very often either.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Individual rounds will depend on the course. But long term putter will be #1. I’d probably put wedges as #2, and driver as #3. Short and mid irons would be next.

I don’t track club selection but based on the data I track the statement is accurate.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If you play the same course all the time like I do, then it's likely that the same clubs are used from the same places on the same holes, except for changes in wind conditions and the occasional mishits which bring other clubs into play.  

I don't track my clubs used but during a round at my course I would typically use:

putter:   31 times on average;
driver:    all 13 non-par 3 holes, and maybe 1 par 3 if windy
LW:         maybe 9 times since I miss a bunch of GIR
FW/Hybrids:     maybe 9 times
7-9 irons:          combined about 9 times
other wedges:  about 8 times
6 iron:    2-3 times a round

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Never tracked my specific data but the ratio in the tweet sounds about right.  I have recently revised my strategy/choice of club off the tee on a handful of holes at various courses that is proving successful.  Forcing oneself to grab a 3w when everyone else is choosing driver can be more difficult than you think 😁.  I have also been dropping back an iron on those borderline yardages and that has been helping too. The result being that more of the bag is being put in play.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

While interesting, I don't think breaking down your game by club usage is all that informative regarding how you would structure your practice time.

If you just follow the usage percentages, you would spend half your time practicing putting.  Would that improve your score significantly?  Probably not.  The easiest way to improve your putting stat is to hit the ball closer to the hole.  Miss more greens but chip it close and your putting stat looks great.  Your scorecard, not so much.  

If you take putting out of the calculations, you hit 661 non-putts.  22.84% with driver, 32.08% with your 54 and 58 degree wedges combined and 23.29% with your 50 degree, PW, 9, 8 and 7 irons combined.  The problem with those numbers is you don't have a breakdown on how many chips and pitches you hit with your 54 and 58 degree, and how many full shots.

If you want to cut down the number of wedges you hit, hit more greens.  To do that, you would need to practice your full swing 58 degree to 7 irons more.   Better full shot short irons into greens=fewer chips and pitches (but your number of putts will go up.) 

My point, if I have one:  Raw statistic can mislead. Look at the type of shot you hit, not the club used and determine where you drop shots.  Practice the weak parts of the game.  

Instead of looking at club use, look at tee shots, full swing long clubs, full swing short irons and wedges, pitches, chips and long putts and short putts. Improving one area will impact club use in another.         

Looking at my Arccos here is my most used breakdown

Putter 193 shots

58*/60* wedge 76 shots (combined Ping and Zipcore)

54* wedge 45 shots (combined Ping and Zipcore)

2I 39 shots (All off the tee)

4I 33 shots (mix of tee and fairway)

So yes, the mine game, the mid and short irons don't get used as much. This is due to my bad ball striking for a while and needing to chip and test the wedges.

My big thing is, are we using wedges more due to some  our courses being short(ish) that hitting driver well gets us close enough to just wedge in?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

... I would add that depending on your skill, you should be playing courses that force you to use many clubs in your bag. For all but the longest hitters, if you are hitting driver/wood/hybrid/iron off tees and that leaves you with a short iron/wedge approach, you are playing tees too short for your game. However if your skill level is such that hitting long irons/hybrids/woods on par 4's is the norm, you are playing tees too long for your game. It isn't always an easy fix and sometimes falls into a too easy or too hard scenario. But one thing everyone can do is pick and choose holes in a combo tee box choice, to accommodate your ability.

... The course I play the most has a par 4 that is technically 431 yds but it plays uphill and into the prevailing wind so effectively plays more like 460 or longer. As a low index player it is a real challenge for me and since there are several easy holes I enjoy the difficulty. But for players that are not consistent both their long game form the fairway it is a double bogie or worse and moving up to the next tee at 407 takes some of the sting out of the hole. So playing a specific tee box but moving up for one or several holes can balance out your club usage. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Never tracked my specific data but the ratio in the tweet sounds about right.  I have recently revised my strategy/choice of club off the tee on a handful of holes at various courses that is proving successful.  Forcing oneself to grab a 3w when everyone else is choosing driver can be more difficult than you think 😁.  I have also been dropping back an iron on those borderline yardages and that has been helping too. The result being that more of the bag is being put in play.

This is smart, hitting something off the tee other than the big dog that gives a you playable 2nd shot sans penalty.   Being in the short grass while the driver boys are searching in the weeds will always reward your choice.

1 hour ago, alfriday101 said:

While interesting, I don't think breaking down your game by club usage is all that informative regarding how you would structure your practice time.

My point, if I have one:  Raw statistic can mislead. Look at the type of shot you hit, not the club used and determine where you drop shots.  Practice the weak parts of the game.  

Instead of looking at club use, look at tee shots, full swing long clubs, full swing short irons and wedges, pitches, chips and long putts and short putts. Improving one area will impact club use in another.         

I agree with a lot of what you are saying.  My intent in posting this was not to tell anyone that they should only focus on their drivers, wedges, and putter; only that MGS stated a majority of people's shots will be played with these clubs and my numbers matched their statement.

No single stat can ever tell you everything about your golf game.  It's simply something fun to look at and maybe make you consider something you may not have thought of previously.

Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200

This is smart, hitting something off the tee other than the big dog that gives a you playable 2nd shot sans penalty.   Being in the short grass while the driver boys are searching in the weeds will always reward your choice.

While there are times not to hit driver Data analysis shows that not hitting driver when you can is the wrong choice. People don’t hit the fairway significantly more to warrant the lose of distance.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

38 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

I agree with a lot of what you are saying.  My intent in posting this was not to tell anyone that they should only focus on their drivers, wedges, and putter; only that MGS stated a majority of people's shots will be played with these clubs and my numbers matched their statement.

No single stat can ever tell you everything about your golf game.  It's simply something fun to look at and maybe make you consider something you may not have thought of previously.

amazingly few golfers get a wedge or putter fitting.... 

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Love a spreadsheet, and data doesnt lie!

image.png.a33b4620302968b7ef36c87e08116d27.png

Wedges are a little skewed because I changed those 3 3/4 of the way through the season but if anything the total would be higher I would guess.

Also this is one season of data (minus my review for the G710s those swings are not in this data set). Would be interested to see what year to year shows (guessing not much difference without a major change in your game)

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Skewed percentages could be course related too.  My home course that closed 5 years ago only had 6 holes that I hit driver on due to distance issues with hazards or doglegs, not accuracy concerns.  I liked that course because you needed to hit every club in the bag during a round, not just bomb and gouge shots out of the rough.  That course was cut from a forest so there was very little rough to snag the ball if you drove it through a dogleg fairway, it would continue into the heavy woods to be lost or unplayable or leave you with nothing but a chip out.  It was target golf with a 5i, 4i or hybrid & 5w or 3w on the other 8 non par 3 holes.

I have found I took the most shots off my score by practicing 65 yards and in (including putting) 80% of my practice time.   

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I haven't upgraded my phone yet so can't run ARCCOS, but, my gut feel is 70% of the time: Driver, Hybrid (or 7i), wedge and putter. If I have to use a different iron it's because my driver failed me. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I haven't upgraded my phone yet so can't run ARCCOS, but, my gut feel is 70% of the time: Driver, Hybrid (or 7i), wedge and putter. If I have to use a different iron it's because my driver failed me. 

yeah that would make sense; a typical par 72 course has 4 par 3 holes. 
That leaves 14 par 4 and 5 holes - a fair amount of golfers are using driver on these holes; sometimes fwy wood or hybrid.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Hmm, looking at my Arccos strokes gained stats it looks like my worst category compared to other 4 handicappers is Driving.  From my first post in this thread that is also the club I hit the most outside of my putter.  Definitely some smoke to investigate here.

IMG_2070.jpg.e410c210f3bec7faaa011a24add85930.jpg

1 hour ago, Bucky CC said:

Hmm, looking at my Arccos strokes gained stats it looks like my worst category compared to other 4 handicappers is Driving.  From my first post in this thread that is also the club I hit the most outside of my putter.  Definitely some smoke to investigate here.

IMG_2070.jpg.e410c210f3bec7faaa011a24add85930.jpg

I think another aspect to consider is if you are going to get fit, the priority should be the high usage clubs like driver and putter then go from there as budget allows. You might think you're getting better bang for your buck getting a whole set of irons, but that might not be the case. Or neglecting to replace wedges so you can hold those short shots around the green that much closer with the extra spin of fresh grooves. 

Personally, I think you should always aim to putt better than your handicap. It takes no physical fitness and there are a lot of ways to get it done from a technique perspective. At a certain point, you are only going to improve driving number by hitting it farther which isn't always possible. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

While there are times not to hit driver Data analysis shows that not hitting driver when you can is the wrong choice. People don’t hit the fairway significantly more to warrant the lose of distance.

... Everyone is different and confidence plays a huge role in any golf shot and club selection. I have played with golfers afraid to hit driver and when they pull it out on the back 9 or a long hole, they hit it horrendously because they have convinced themselves they can't hit it. That is completely different than what we are discussing in this thread but I had to mention it in case someone reading falls into that category. That said, I am with you on this cnosil. Hit driver whenever you can, unless a good drive can run through the fairway or into trouble you want to avoid like a lake, bunker, trees or some other hazard. There is nothing I find more frustrating than not hitting driver and selecting a "safe" club off the tee and then hitting it poorly. On my 2 most played muni's here is what I hit off the tee: 

Course #1 driver-3 dhy-iron-driver-driver-driver-driver-3 dhy-driver-driver-driver-3 dhy-3 dhy-driver
Course #2 driver-3 dhy-driver-driver-driver-driver-driver-driver-driver-driver-3 dhy-driver-driver-driver

... I only hit 3 dhy off tees that have trouble for a driver that the 3 dhy cannot reach or I would hit driver every hole. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Everyone is different and confidence plays a huge role in any golf shot and club selection. I have played with golfers afraid to hit driver and when they pull it out on the back 9 or a long hole, they hit it horrendously because they have convinced themselves they can't hit it. That is completely different than what we are discussing in this thread but I had to mention it in case someone reading falls into that category.  

We are on the same page.   Some people really struggle with the driver, just like I do with my distance wedge game.   If a player doesn't want to play driver and instead play 3 wood, hybrid,  or even a long iron then that club should be used unless there is a reason not to hit that club. 

This has been me the last few rounds I've played. Definitely Driver - Wedge (54/48 depending on hole yardage) - Putter. Only on longer par 5's do I use my 4i or 5i. I think I could honestly get ride of my 6, 7, 9, PW, and GW and wouldn't miss them a lick.

But to your point, I certainly shouldn't spend so much time trying to groove the clubs I don't hit often and instead should focus primarily on wedges and putting, followed distantly by driver, since I don't have to be as accurate with the driver as the other two.

Edited by Tarheelvolvo
typo

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

I like how the Lowest Score Wins guys lay this out with what they call "Separation Value"

https://lowestscorewins.com/separation-value

The quick idea behind it is that there are certain skills that you:
1.  Use frequently
2.  Have a big impact on Strokes Gained (usually because of a larger amount of possible outcomes)

And that you should practice these skills more often.  It's leverage.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

There is nothing I find more frustrating than not hitting driver and selecting a "safe" club off the tee and then hitting it poorly.

Amen brother: nothing makes me contemplate a club toss more than “making the smart play” and promptly snap hooking my 4 iron into Narnia.

I only wish I could remember that before I skank one off the tee.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

9 hours ago, Micah T said:

Amen brother: nothing makes me contemplate a club toss more than “making the smart play” and promptly snap hooking my 4 iron into Narnia.

My daughter just steps up and hits driver everywhere - I sometimes need to explain to her that maybe she can't hit it into a 10 yard gap between bunkers on a long par 3 every time.  But in general, she just stands up there and swings away because the head is so big you can't miss, and it's made to get the ball off the ground, so she has zero fear of her driver, and I envy that.  Those of us who suffered through the days of wood and even the first small-headed metal drivers carry around a lot of scar tissue.  

I appreciate my 460cc Cobra F8 much more after a month of hitting a 190cc persimmon driver in the Classic Club Challenge.  If only titanium could make the same crack that well-struck persimmon makes.

One thing that Decade/LSW does is it takes doubt out of the decision-making process.  I know what I'm going to hit, and if I make a bad swing, I make a bad swing (and I can beat myself up over making a bad swing).  But I don't feel like I made the wrong decision, so I don't let that get to me.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

16 hours ago, Micah T said:

The thing that drives me nutz worse than the 'safe club snapper' is hitting the safe yardage club to keep from going into a hazard and I flush it & the Hand of God comes down and carries the ball 25 yards farther than I normally hit it or it bounces forever....right into the water.   😠

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Mine certainly do.  I use my driver and putter the most and probably use my 7 iron or 9 iron the most after that.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

22 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I like how the Lowest Score Wins guys lay this out with what they call "Separation Value"

https://lowestscorewins.com/separation-value

The quick idea behind it is that there are certain skills that you:
1.  Use frequently
2.  Have a big impact on Strokes Gained (usually because of a larger amount of possible outcomes)

And that you should practice these skills more often.  It's leverage.

Wow that is awesome. Thanks for sharing the link. Makes so much sense to focus on areas that truly will lower scores. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

4 minutes ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

Wow that is awesome. Thanks for sharing the link. Makes so much sense to focus on areas that truly will lower scores. 

Hey Matt, welcome aboard.  Hope it helps.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 11/24/2020 at 7:26 AM, HardcoreLooper said:

My daughter just steps up and hits driver everywhere - I sometimes need to explain to her that maybe she can't hit it into a 10 yard gap between bunkers on a long par 3 every time.  But in general, she just stands up there and swings away because the head is so big you can't miss, and it's made to get the ball off the ground, so she has zero fear of her driver, and I envy that.  Those of us who suffered through the days of wood and even the first small-headed metal drivers carry around a lot of scar tissue.  

I appreciate my 460cc Cobra F8 much more after a month of hitting a 190cc persimmon driver in the Classic Club Challenge.  If only titanium could make the same crack that well-struck persimmon makes.

One thing that Decade/LSW does is it takes doubt out of the decision-making process.  I know what I'm going to hit, and if I make a bad swing, I make a bad swing (and I can beat myself up over making a bad swing).  But I don't feel like I made the wrong decision, so I don't let that get to me.

Scott Fawcett would probably say if you need to hit driver on par 3s that you should be hitting it everywhere because you won't hit it far enough to go OB (and you don't want to hit driver from the fairway after you layup off the tee). I only say this because my wife says the same thing... Then will randomly decide not to hit a driver on a 150 yard par 3, which is how far she hits her driver (or less). 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0