Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Powder Coated Putters

I've seen the idea thrown around for powder coating putters and I have been tinkering with a few, so i thought i would throw some pictures up here for you to see what the final product is. It's pretty neat to have it done, it does not look nearly as nice as what comes off the rack, but its very cool.

putter white.JPG

putter black.JPG

putter grey.JPG

In My Sun Mountain 4.5 Stand 4.5:

Taylormade Burner Superfast - 9.5 degree Matrix Ozik Stiff

Taylormade Burner Superfast Fairway - 15 degree Matrix Ozik Stiff

Taylormade Burner Superlaunch Hybrid - 18 degree Matrix Ozik stiff

Ping i10 Irons - Green Dot - AWT Steel Shafts, Stiff

Cleveland CG15 Wedges - Gunmetal Finish 52,60

Taylormade Rossa Monza Vincino

For those of us who aren't too familiar with the process, how is powder coating different than other putter finishes? Benefits/drawbacks?

Sure, powder coating is basically a powder paint that adheres to a metal surface by static electricity, once the powder coverage is achieved, the part is run through about a 400 degree line oven and the paint bakes onto and bonds to the surface. Because it is more or less a paint product, it is available in thousands of colors and finish combinations. In my opinion it softens the feel of the putter head very slightly. Usually if you find a local powder coating place they will run your putter head through their oven with whatever color they happen to be set up to spray for 5 bucks or even free.

You just need to torch the hosel to loosen the epoxy and remove the head, clean the head as best as you can, then it will be ready to powder. Once it is powdered, you can clean out the lettering areas with a fine dremel bit or nail, then paint with Testors model paint or other.

Hope that helps, like I said, you will definitely get notice at the course, but it is not as nice as a factory finish.

Have Fun,

thats not possible to do with insert putters right?? i really wanna ghost out my vicino

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

thats not possible to do with insert putters right?? i really wanna ghost out my vicino

From what i've seen online you do have the ability to "mask off" certain areas like a badge or an insert, but i think the danger is, depending on the insert, the epoxy or the material itself melting or getting damaged under the high heat of the curing oven. If its the titanium AGSI insert, you may be able to mask off that area and powder coat around it. If its the Surlyn Pure Roll insert, i would worry about the surlyn melting.

From what i've seen online you do have the ability to "mask off" certain areas like a badge or an insert, but i think the danger is, depending on the insert, the epoxy or the material itself melting or getting damaged under the high heat of the curing oven. If its the titanium AGSI insert, you may be able to mask off that area and powder coat around it. If its the Surlyn Pure Roll insert, i would worry about the surlyn melting.

according to taylormade "Monza Spider Vicino's insert is made of carbon fiber and resin, like a graphite shaft"

tough luck for me

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

those look pretty cool, but are they playable? How long does the powdercoat hold up with normal use?

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

those look pretty cool, but are they playable? How long does the powdercoat hold up with normal use?

To remove powdercoating from a metal surface it has to be sandblasted, chipped, or grinded off. I have played each of these for several rounds, because they are a thick polymer coating, the colors do not fade away like a "charcoal mist" or "oil can" finish would (the powdercoating doesnt look as nice). The only areas where the powder coating has come off is due to bag chatter, not at all where the ball striking area is.

If you look around, most people dont realize, but they have a ton of powder coated stuff in their garage, shed, etc.

An air compressor, auto parts, your rims on your car, if you have an ornamental fence in your yard or area - those are all powder coated finishes, they look like paint, but they are ultra hard, ultra durable, high gloss in most cases, finishes.

Pretty cool really, i bet you could powder coat your steel shafts, THAT would be cool with some cell parts hosels.

very cool, I never realized how much stuff was powdercoated... I'll have to look into places around here that do it...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Whatever you do, DO NOT TRY TO POWDERCOAT YOUR VICINO. The area behind the face, the body of the putter with the silver aluminum cap, is made of plastic. You won't like what the heat needed to bake on the powdercoating will do to that black cover.

I speak from experience, please believe me.

LaMont in AZ

Whatever you do, DO NOT TRY TO POWDERCOAT YOUR VICINO. The area behind the face, the body of the putter with the silver aluminum cap, is made of plastic. You won't like what the heat needed to bake on the powdercoating will do to that black cover.

I speak from experience, please believe me.

LaMont in AZ

Lamont, i've checked out all your stuff, its awesome. I bet you know 100 times more about this than me, have I accurately described the coating and process, etc? Do you need to clarify anything?

Its funny, i just got a Vincino...its awesome.

To remove powdercoating from a metal surface it has to be sandblasted, chipped, or grinded off.

I had a putter head powder coated last year and ended up not caring for it. I soaked the head in acetone for a short bit and it came off clean

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

I cannot even comment on the process of powdercoating, beyond having watched some shafts being done. The process I use is much different and easier in my mind.

I think if done professionally, powdercoating is extremely durable and long lasting. If not, it is probably hit and miss. Some guys will do better prep and have good results, others will do less prep and it will show up, down the line.

Love to see others trying their hand at doing their own customizing. That is how it starts. Keep trying new things and you may find that perfect niche for your talents.

Thanks for the compliments,

LaMont in AZ

• 5 years later...

Is there any worry that the powder coat will make the putter face uneven or mess with the loft of the putter? I'm thinking about having my Scotty Red X3 powder coated, but this really worries me.

Depending on how well it is powedercoated it can absolutely make the face uneven.  It can also effect the sound/feel of the putter.

tape off the face?? not sure if that's possible, but could end up looking very cool as a 2-tone

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I'm not sure how the duracoat stuff works, but you can torch it and then scuff parts back to satin.

Might be able to do the whole head and then wire wheel the finish off the face?

This is not mine, but an example:

IMG_8507.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Depending on how well it is powedercoated it can absolutely make the face uneven.  It can also effect the sound/feel of the putter.

was just wondering that myself, seems like it would really change the feel, especially if the face is milled

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Powdercoatng is terrible for putter heads. It goes on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too thick. If you like the feel of your putter now, don't do it. If you want it to feel dead, by all means have at it. Polymers are the way to go for surface coatings and theyre available in more colors. Why polymer? It goes on between 1-3 mils thick (thinner than notebook paper) and will not affect feel.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 1 month later...

Sure, powder coating is basically a powder paint that adheres to a metal surface by static electricity, once the powder coverage is achieved, the part is run through about a 400 degree line oven and the paint bakes onto and bonds to the surface. Because it is more or less a paint product, it is available in thousands of colors and finish combinations. In my opinion it softens the feel of the putter head very slightly. Usually if you find a local powder coating place they will run your putter head through their oven with whatever color they happen to be set up to spray for 5 bucks or even free.

You just need to torch the hosel to loosen the epoxy and remove the head, clean the head as best as you can, then it will be ready to powder. Once it is powdered, you can clean out the lettering areas with a fine dremel bit or nail, then paint with Testors model paint or other.

Hope that helps, like I said, you will definitely get notice at the course, but it is not as nice as a factory finish.

Have Fun,

Great info here! Thanks!

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I

• 5 weeks later...

I have a Scotty that I had powder coated several years ago.  I don't game it often, but it looks good and the finish still looks brand new.   I'll have to post some pictures later tonight. The face milling is still evident and the feel on mine was not made worse at all.  

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome work. Been a fan a long time on golfwrx and here.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

. If you want it to feel dead, by all means have at it. Polymers are the way to go for surface coatings and theyre available in more colors. 

Any more info on this? Is there a certain type of shop (ie metal fabricator, autobody shop) that would have this capability? Powdercoating is cheap and easy, what is the cost like for a polymer?

:ping-small: G30 lstec 9*, Veylix Rome 7ra , X-Stiff,

:adams-small: Speedline Super S 15* Matrix Radix X-stiff

:ping-small: G2, 3-PW, X100

:ping-small: M/B 52* SS, 56* SS

:cleveland-small: 588 60*

:scotty-small: Futura Phantom II

Any more info on this? Is there a certain type of shop (ie metal fabricator, autobody shop) that would have this capability? Powdercoating is cheap and easy, what is the cost like for a polymer?

I've done plenty of putters in polymer. It's not nearly as cheap as powdercoat, but it's also not nearly as thick, comes in more colors, and doesn't effect feel or appearance like powdercoat does. Polymer goes on 1-3 mils thick, which is thinner than household trash bags. Powdercoat, you have no real control of the coating thickness

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• 6 months later...