Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Are my Irons holding me back?

New to the forum, and hoping to get some wisdom from the group. 

Little context about my game. Have been playing for a number of years, but primarily used golf as an opportunity to drink with buddies. This past summer was the first year in my life that I actually started to take my golf game seriously, practice, work on my swing, etc. I went from shooting 110+ to being in the low to mid 90's fairly consistently. 

Part of my quest to become a decent golfer was to learn more about by swing and ball flight. Last week I spent some time on a Trackman, and I was able to put some numbers to the ball flights I was seeing on the course. My main concern is that my ball flight is too low, and decent angles are not at a place where I have confidence holding greens. I am curious how much of this is due to my swing, and how much is due to the irons I play. I currently have some very old Callaway X-16 irons...they were released back in 2003. 

Trackman data for my 7i...

image.png.d9a919ec606fa100e8db1ade476ee7f8.png

I have trouble launching the ball to a decent height with decent spin, and this is fairly consistent will all of my irons. I can provide any other data points if you have questions.

I want to understand why this might be happening to me, and how much newer clubs could help? 

Sounds like you could benefit from a new set. I would see a fitter to make sure you get the right irons for your game. What shaft are you playing and what flex is it? This could be as much your shaft as much as your heads. I presume your grooves are still good on your irons. A 17 yr old set will not have the benefits of the current irons. You will likely gain distance and height as lofts are lower and CG is lowered so you should get higher launch. There are some great deals on new clubs now so get fitted and get in on the action if you are concerned.

Edit: It could also be you may need a more tour like ball. Those can affect launch and spin as well.

Edited by rbsiedsc

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

The loft on your 7 iron for that model is 34 degrees. Manufacturers reduced lofts over the years to make it seem like you are hitting further. Current game improvment  irons are around 31 degrees for a 7 iron.  So changing your irons before getting your swing tweaked could make things worse. Your launch angle should be somewhere between 19 to 21 degrees. You are at 13 so you could be delofting your club at the impact position. Your ball spin rate is about 1000 rpm lower than what it should be.

There are a lot of things that can influence your ball flight and spin. I suggest first to have someone evaluate your swing. Get a couple of lessons. Then let them help you select the right ball. More spin means more height. But it also means more left or right it you don't hit the ball straight to start with.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The loft on your 7 iron for that model is 34 degrees. Manufacturers reduced lofts over the years to make it seem like you are hitting further. Current game improvment  irons are around 31 degrees for a 7 iron.  So changing your irons before getting your swing tweaked could make things worse. Your launch angle should be somewhere between 19 to 21 degrees. You are at 13 so you could be delofting your club at the impact position. Your ball spin rate is about 1000 rpm lower than what it should be.

There are a lot of things that can influence your ball flight and spin. I suggest first to have someone evaluate your swing. Get a couple of lessons. Then let them help you select the right ball. More spin means more height. But it also means more left or right it you don't hit the ball straight to start with.

That is a good point about newer clubs potentially enhancing the problem by lowering the loft even further. I guess my thought was if I were to start using a shaft that was a "high launch" shaft that should help me get the ball in the air. 

I cant imagine I am delofting the club face THAT much at impact...maybe has something to do with me closing the club face a little too much? 

1 hour ago, MNGolfer20 said:

I guess my thought was if I were to start using a shaft that was a "high launch" shaft that should help me get the ball in the air. 

There are no standards in golf and people react differently to shafts.   High launch to one manufacturer may be low launch to another.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm going to choose the no fun answer: 

It's your swing, you're launching your 7 iron at the low end of a driver launch window. Go get some lessons, so you can get you launch into a more reasonable height so a fitter would be able to make a reasonable recommendation.  You aren't going to get any 7 iron that much farther with a swing speed below 80 mph. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

16 hours ago, BMart519 said:

I'm going to choose the no fun answer: 

It's your swing, you're launching your 7 iron at the low end of a driver launch window. Go get some lessons, so you can get you launch into a more reasonable height so a fitter would be able to make a reasonable recommendation.  You aren't going to get any 7 iron that much farther with a swing speed below 80 mph. 

I appreciate the honesty, and I'm sure you are spot on. The plan this winter is to take a couple lessons, hopefully get my swing to a more manageable place, and then look to see if a more customized set of irons can help me on top of that. 

22 hours ago, MNGolfer20 said:

New to the forum, and hoping to get some wisdom from the group. 

Little context about my game. Have been playing for a number of years, but primarily used golf as an opportunity to drink with buddies. This past summer was the first year in my life that I actually started to take my golf game seriously, practice, work on my swing, etc. I went from shooting 110+ to being in the low to mid 90's fairly consistently. 

Part of my quest to become a decent golfer was to learn more about by swing and ball flight. Last week I spent some time on a Trackman, and I was able to put some numbers to the ball flights I was seeing on the course. My main concern is that my ball flight is too low, and decent angles are not at a place where I have confidence holding greens. I am curious how much of this is due to my swing, and how much is due to the irons I play. I currently have some very old Callaway X-16 irons...they were released back in 2003. 

Trackman data for my 7i...

image.png.d9a919ec606fa100e8db1ade476ee7f8.png

I have trouble launching the ball to a decent height with decent spin, and this is fairly consistent will all of my irons. I can provide any other data points if you have questions.

I want to understand why this might be happening to me, and how much newer clubs could help? 

The irons aren't the issue. If anything, those are high launching irons with a wide sole and forgiving face. So, contact and speed are going to help most. New irons are still going to have the same problem. 

Get some lessons or learn more about the golf swing and practice. 

I have the opposite problem, I hit the ball high no matter what club or shaft I use - it's the Indian.

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

I have spent a lot of time this summer working on my swing. It has gotten much better from where it was last year, but it was all DIY help. I think it is time to get a professional to help me get to the next step.

With that being said, has anyone else run into issues with low launch, and have any advice on things to work on? I looked at my Trackman numbers, and my Driver and 7i launch angles are only about half a degree apart. 😂

31 minutes ago, MNGolfer20 said:

I have spent a lot of time this summer working on my swing. It has gotten much better from where it was last year, but it was all DIY help. I think it is time to get a professional to help me get to the next step.

With that being said, has anyone else run into issues with low launch, and have any advice on things to work on? I looked at my Trackman numbers, and my Driver and 7i launch angles are only about half a degree apart. 😂

Based on what you're describing, sounds like a lot of thin contact...I'm guessing you almost never take a divot?

Honestly, the best thing you can do is find an instructor and take some lessons.  He/she will be better equipped to diagnose why this happens and how to fix it than a bunch of well-intentioned spies like us that haven't seen your swing, aren't instructors ourselves, etc.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

1 hour ago, MNGolfer20 said:

Where do you address the ball in your stance with a 7i? Dead center, forward or back of center? 

Experiment addressing the ball 3/4 of the way towards your front foot in the stance... See what the launch is like. 

You could spend all winter troubleshooting this issue and potentially fix it, or not... Paying money for an instructor isn't sexy, but that 1 hour can probably save you 1 month of trial and error on your own that could be spent getting reps in with a better action. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

Where do you address the ball in your stance with a 7i? Dead center, forward or back of center? 

Experiment addressing the ball 3/4 of the way towards your front foot in the stance... See what the launch is like. 

You could spend all winter troubleshooting this issue and potentially fix it, or not... Paying money for an instructor isn't sexy, but that 1 hour can probably save you 1 month of trial and error on your own that could be spent getting reps in with a better action. 

Typically keep my irons at about middle of stance. When I move the ball forward too much I start to get chunky with my shots.

4 hours ago, MNGolfer20 said:

Get the lessons. I was a low ball hitter for the longest time and a lot of it was due to just poor club delivery. I still feel like I hit the ball too low, but I'm much improved after lessons a few years ago. 

Once you've had some eyes on your swing and some help, you can dive into thinking about shiny new sticks. But seriously, I think I bought & sold 3-4 sets of irons trying to buy a swing before a few lessons put me on the right path. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Looks like others have mentioned, it's probably your contact. Sounds like your scooping and not compressing.

While new"er" clubs might be nice and may add a level of forgiveness that your current set isn't, it's important to have the understand of how hitting the ball into the ground (not really.. but kind of) will help get you better height, spin, and definitely distance with about what feels like half the effort. A well-compressed ball involves as much legs and hips as it does arms and shoulders.

I'm probably not qualified to give this advice as I'm not an instructor.. and have plenty of flaws of my own.. but try shortening your backswing so your left arm is parallel to the ground at the swings peak. Not as a permanent solution, but to just help understand better body rotation through the 2nd half of the swing. This should help if you have any swaying issues on your back swing that might be drawing you back and away from the ball and causing thin or scooping shots.

Be sure to descend on the ball and then drive all the way through the shot to a posing finish. Once you start to better understand what compressing the ball does for your shot, then you can start to open up more on your backswing.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

51 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Get the lessons. I was a low ball hitter for the longest time and a lot of it was due to just poor club delivery. I still feel like I hit the ball too low, but I'm much improved after lessons a few years ago. 

Once you've had some eyes on your swing and some help, you can dive into thinking about shiny new sticks. But seriously, I think I bought & sold 3-4 sets of irons trying to buy a swing before a few lessons put me on the right path. 

Yeah I actually got on the phone with Jason from Sub70 yesterday to ask his opinion on shafts and clubs to see if an upgrade would improve my ball flight. And he mentioned the same thing of taking some time with a professional to work on my swing, and then work with him to get the right set of clubs.

Looks like I have a busy winter.

2 hours ago, MNGolfer20 said:

Yeah I actually got on the phone with Jason from Sub70 yesterday to ask his opinion on shafts and clubs to see if an upgrade would improve my ball flight. And he mentioned the same thing of taking some time with a professional to work on my swing, and then work with him to get the right set of clubs.

Looks like I have a busy winter.

Wow.  So my opinion of Sub70 just went up...  Feel like most would try to sell you some sticks.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

Id agree with keeping your old clubs and having someone help you to improve your swing.  It looks like you are probably delofting the club, which would explain your numbers and why you are getting a low ball flight.

Im of the mind that new clubs are almost never the answer, unless you are still playing persimmons or your old clubs are broken.  Just look at the past 30 years: even after all the supposed advances in clubs, 50% of golfers never break 100.  If new clubs were so much better, as we are led to believe, a much higher percentage should be breaking 100, if not 90.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Im going to be somewhat of a contrarian. And it doesn’t have to do whether the equipment will help your performance or not.

will getting new clubs inspire and motivate you to work harder on improvement (with an instructor)? Is buying new clubs a cost burden or not? For example, for some people, buying clubs is a major expense, for others it is a drop in the bucket.

i tend to buy too many clubs partially because i like buying new equipment and i can afford to do so, and i get enjoyment from that part of the game.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

3 hours ago, MNGolfer20 said:

And he mentioned the same thing of taking some time with a professional to work on my swing, and then work with him to get the right set of clubs.

Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have a winner!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

That attack angle with your club head speed is going to result in low shots. Another vote for lessons. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS