TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mythbusters - Ball Tee

fixyurdivot

This is interesting.  https://mygolfspy.com/2020-golf-tee-test/

One of the guys in our winter group last year got on the "whisker tee" wagon and was convinced they were helping him with both distance and dispersion.  I've been using these US Flag plastic tees for a few years now and have no idea whether they improve my shots - I just like the way they look and that they last a long time.  When they break, they become par 3 tees though I rarely tee irons if the grass is in nice condition. 

Do the results surprise you?  Are you using any of the tested products and found them beneficial?

Shop Pride Evolution American Flag Plastic Golf Tees 3-1/4" Pack of 30 -  Overstock - 19684598

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

The absolute biggest takeaway for me from the test wasn't the test itself but this statement.

Believe it or not a consistent tee height can make a big difference. Doesn't matter if it comes from the 4 yards more tees or not, but if there is one thing that is easy to control and regulate tee height is it. Small changes can have drastic effects.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

16 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

This is interesting.  https://mygolfspy.com/2020-golf-tee-test/

One of the guys in our winter group last year got on the "whisker tee" wagon and was convinced they were helping him with both distance and dispersion.  I've been using these US Flag plastic tees for a few years now and have no idea whether they improve my shots - I just like the way they look and that they last a long time.  When they break, they become par 3 tees though I rarely tee irons if the grass is in nice condition. 

Do the results surprise you?  Are you using any of the tested products and found them beneficial?

Shop Pride Evolution American Flag Plastic Golf Tees 3-1/4" Pack of 30 -  Overstock - 19684598

I use the same exact tee. I was surprised that Tony C didn't test either this or the 2 3/4 version. I use to break wooden tees on every drive - but can't remember if I ever broke one of these. As to the results, no surprises and the data was statistically insignificant. Basically no difference between them. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

27 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

The absolute biggest takeaway for me from the test wasn't the test itself but this statement.

Believe it or not a consistent tee height can make a big difference. Doesn't matter if it comes from the 4 yards more tees or not, but if there is one thing that is easy to control and regulate tee height is it. Small changes can have drastic effects.

Yea, good point.  I've been teeing a wee bit lower in recent months and finding more of the driver center and fairways.  But I also started choking down about a half inch around the same time, so I'm not certain if one or both are the reason.  I could not do one or the other to find out but I ain't messing with what's working 🙂.

I kind of figured there wouldn't be much of a noticable effect, I've most certainly tried other tees out to gain any advantage that I could! But like most everyone else, I end up just using the basic plastic tee in the OP with the yellow band so I know I'm putting the tee in at the same height every time.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

52 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

You've nailed it Stroker. I've used the 4 more yards tees for about a season and a half and have picked up about 14 yards in driving average.  I don't think my longest drives are any longer but I have eliminated the stinker drives for the most part.  I would never pay attention to tee height and as the rounds wore on I'd get under the ball a ton. I've handed a few out to people and they swear by them now.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Years ago, a study showed that with tees that didn’t have a “bowl” for the ball to sit-in, there were additional yards gained due to less energy/friction needed to get the ball out of the “bowl”... Thus, we started seeing tees where the ball sits on just a few “posts” around the perimeter. I don’t remember the exact results, but mathematical calculations also showed similar findings.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

The only thing I found surprising about this test, is that a brush tee wasn't included. I've been using the extra tall yellow brush tees for years now, and while I don't know whether the performance is better or worse than any other tee, those brush tees always set up at the same height, are unbreakable and extremely hard to lose.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Miketheripper said:

unbreakable and extremely hard to lose

Two features corporate management of a consumables product never want to hear 🤣.  I'm seeing more and more folks using these.   

Do we think there would be any difference between a standard wood tee and similarly designed plastic tee? A lot of the courses in our area offer free plastic tees. I like them cause they don't break and I can usually use the same tee for the whole round.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

46 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

Do we think there would be any difference between a standard wood tee and similarly designed plastic tee? A lot of the courses in our area offer free plastic tees. I like them cause they don't break and I can usually use the same tee for the whole round.

Yeah, a bit surprised they didn't test a plastic tee like @fixyurdivotmentioned in the first post since that's the most common tee I see now-a-days. I use the Pride Professional Tees so I can get repeatable height on my drives, but it's just a 4 "post" tee (https://www.pridegolftee.com/pages/professional-tee-system-pts)

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

I use the Martini Tee with the driver and wood tees with all other clubs. I'm not surprised by any of the results. I like the Martini Tee because they don't break. I'm on my second tee this year. Bright colors, easy to find. I prefer a stepless tee that can have varied heights as every tee box is different and calls for a different shot. And the Martini Tee is meant to be played leaning toward the target, which was not done in the test. This reduces the friction from the ball leaving the bowl and will normalize distance. It's not longer than anything, but I have not noticed a distance loss and there is some side spin reduction. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I use the 4 more yards tee. I started because it would give me constant height, and not break easy. I don't know if it gets me any extra distance, but I do like that it has eliminated one variable. I only use then on my driver, but have thought about getting the pack with 4 sizes to test them out as well.