TESTERS WANTED! ×

Price Trigger

JalanK

I like Pro V1 and Pro V1x balls. I like to suss out a good deal on new ones. When I find a good deal, I will buy in quantity. Just curious, what is your price point trigger on your favorite ball? Is there one which will compel you to by in larger quantities: 5 8,10, 12 dozen? I found one supplier of TP5s for $20/doz. - they were legitimately acquired by the seller. I bought about 12 dozen.

Recently, there was an ebay auction of 35.5 dozens Titleist's. 3 dozen were AVX, About 5 dozen total were half-dozen boxes of Shamrock and Ryder Cup models of Pro V1. The rest were Pro V1 and V1x. Only 3 dozen were not current model. Starting bid was $800. BIN was $1050. Winning bid was $810 - 2 bids. Shipping was $113. I almost bid on them. That worked out to about $23.xx/doz. before sales tax and PP fees.

What kind of deal would make you buy like that?

I never stock up more than 2 dozen. There's always something new I want to try. Then you're stuck with balls you don't want. But, I can see a ProV or TP5 fan boy stocking up on the best deal available. TP5 practice balls are a good one at 19.99 online. Buy enough for free shipping. 

Edited by NC Golfer

I'll buy 2-3 dozen mid-grade used of whatever ball I play to keep a half-dozen or so of them in my bag to practice on the course and not worry about picking them up if I spray them around.  My favorite way to practice is to go out on the course late in the day and keep hitting a shot until I get it right.  But for new balls to use when I'm really playing, I'll buy about four dozen a year, but that's it.  I can't imagine buying 35 dozen at once.  Ball technology advances too quickly.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

14 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I'll buy 2-3 dozen mid-grade used of whatever ball I play to keep a half-dozen or so of them in my bag to practice on the course and not worry about picking them up if I spray them around.  My favorite way to practice is to go out on the course late in the day and keep hitting a shot until I get it right.  But for new balls to use when I'm really playing, I'll buy about four dozen a year, but that's it.  I can't imagine buying 35 dozen at once.  Ball technology advances too quickly.

If I'd bought them, I would have broken the lot into smaller quantities and offered them up to friends etc. I would only want to keep certain items for myself.

18 hours ago, NC Golfer said:

I never stock up more than 2 dozen. There's always something new I want to try. Then you're stuck with balls you don't want. But, I can see a ProV or TP5 fan boy stocking up on the best deal available. TP5 practice balls are a good one at 19.99 online. Buy enough for free shipping. 

This is the same boat I'm in. I always have Wilson Ultras because they're a cheap two-piece ball that i can pull out and use if I'm between balls. But then I just like to pick up and test whatever better ball is on sale. 

I think there's definitely a price trigger for everyone, but if you're willing to be a bit more flexible with the ball you want to play you can almost always get what you want below that price. For instance, there was a good thread recently on "practice" tour balls that had visual defects but the same performance at half the price. Or rather than spending $40 plus for the ProV1x balls one week, go instead for the Bridgestone tours that are on clearance that week for $30. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

18 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I'll buy 2-3 dozen mid-grade used of whatever ball I play to keep a half-dozen or so of them in my bag to practice on the course and not worry about picking them up if I spray them around.  My favorite way to practice is to go out on the course late in the day and keep hitting a shot until I get it right.

This is why I like to walk along the treeline. I'll pick up anything with a urethane cover and then when I skull it into the trees, I give it the ceremonial, "from trees you were found, to trees you shall return." Stings a bit more when it's a gamer though.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I usually play the Z STAR XV or Snell MTB-X. I dont feel much pressure to stock up on those 2. The Srixon's usually have a BOGO deal or a 3 for 2 deal a couple of times a year and I will get a couple dozen. Otherwise, Snell's have a great steady price point and, until the pandemic, could be ordered at any time. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!