Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report-Wilson Duo Soft+

Golfspy_CG2

Here's a ball from the non tour category, share your thoughts below.

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-wilson-duo-soft-ball-review/

Wilson_Duo_Soft_Plus-2.jpg

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I play Wilsons a lot and like them. I have not tried the soft simply because I have so many Duo pro's and Spins. The article pretty much summed it up: a soft ball with reasonable specs and price. Does anyone pay retail for a Wilson golf ball? 

I would like to publicly apologize to my family for golfing so much

3 hours ago, chosenhandle said:

I play Wilsons a lot and like them. I have not tried the soft simply because I have so many Duo pro's and Spins. The article pretty much summed it up: a soft ball with reasonable specs and price. Does anyone pay retail for a Wilson golf ball? 

Nope. I always have the Wilson Ultras as my go to spares when I haven't picked up a your ball on sale. Wilson's two piece balls, both the Duos for softer and the Ultras for harder, are great cheap options. They're clearly not elite balls, but they don't try to be. They're very reasonable and functional for their price and you can always find them on sale somewhere. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Picked up 2 dozen yesterday I think they were a little over $30 for pair.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 11/25/2020 at 3:13 PM, MNUte said:

Nope. I always have the Wilson Ultras as my go to spares when I haven't picked up a your ball on sale. Wilson's two piece balls, both the Duos for softer and the Ultras for harder, are great cheap options. They're clearly not elite balls, but they don't try to be. They're very reasonable and functional for their price and you can always find them on sale somewhere. 

I think this is a great point and one that gets missed during tests like these. At $20/doz they're not pretending to be a higher level ball like the QST as an example from a recent test. So when there's defects, it's a lot easier to shrug and say "you get what you pay for". I'm a slower swinger and I appreciate the low spin aspect of these balls, and living in the northeast there's a lot of rounds played in cooler temps. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

8 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I think this is a great point and one that gets missed during tests like these. At $20/doz they're not pretending to be a higher level ball like the QST as an example from a recent test. So when there's defects, it's a lot easier to shrug and say "you get what you pay for". I'm a slower swinger and I appreciate the low spin aspect of these balls, and living in the northeast there's a lot of rounds played in cooler temps. 

Exactly. And those kinds of cheap but functional balls are also great for courses that are designed to make you lose them. One of my favorite courses in Salt Lake, River Oaks, is known for losing balls. It's incredibly narrow with at least half of your holes having water or unsearchable OB on either or both sides. One of the par 3's over water even has a "substitute ball" basket, where the course fishes previously lost balls out of the pond and puts them in a basket for you to use with your tee shot if you don't want to risk losing your ball. Then just swap your main ball back out for it on the green and put the ball in the "done" basket. Yeah, the course is that bad about lost balls. 

I've watched players get stressed about losing three ProV1s on their first two holes (long narrow par 5 with water right and rough hilly shrubs left from tee to hole and long narrow par four with woods left and water right). And the rest of their round is shot cause they're still thinking of those first 3 lost balls. Whereas playing that course with the Ultras, I don't care if I lose a $.70 to $1.50 ball and I end up playing the course far looser and better than I would with a tour ball. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

1 hour ago, MNUte said:

I've watched players get stressed about losing three ProV1s on their first two holes (long narrow par 5 with water right and rough hilly shrubs left from tee to hole and long narrow par four with woods left and water right). And the rest of their round is shot cause they're still thinking of those first 3 lost balls. Whereas playing that course with the Ultras, I don't care if I lose a $.70 to $1.50 ball and I end up playing the course far looser and better than I would with a tour ball. 

I’d be “stressed” about all the penalty strokes with 3 lost balls in the first 2 holes, whether I paid $4/ball or $0!!!

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

33 minutes ago, Middler said:

I’d be “stressed” about all the penalty strokes with 3 lost balls in the first 2 holes, whether I paid $4/ball or $0!!!

Yeah, everyone agrees whoever designed this course is a sadist and loves groups getting backed up. Who puts your long narrow par 5 and your almost as long and just as narrow par 4 as the first two holes???

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

The Duo Soft Spin is a great ball. A little pricey when it was launched 26.99. But, now you can find them at almost half that price online. Not sure why they call it "spin". It won't stop like a urethane ball. 

https://www.hurricanegolf.com/wilson-staff-duo-soft-spin-golf-balls-white-1-dozen.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu7Loqqul7QIVhZ2GCh1e-QHCEAQYASABEgLY5vD_BwE

Edited by NC Golfer

5 hours ago, NC Golfer said:

The Duo Soft Spin is a great ball. A little pricey when it was launched 26.99. But, now you can find them at almost half that price online. Not sure why they call it "spin". It won't stop like a urethane ball. 

https://www.hurricanegolf.com/wilson-staff-duo-soft-spin-golf-balls-white-1-dozen.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu7Loqqul7QIVhZ2GCh1e-QHCEAQYASABEgLY5vD_BwE

It’s because the Duo Spin  is a 3 piece ball. The mantle layer was designed to cause the ball to spin more than the regular 2 piece Duo. YMMV 🤷‍♂️ 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO