Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Iron swing weight

So I recently went to a club fitter to help address a baby pull issue I’ve had for years causing me to miss too many gir. After many swings and lie board hitting and measurements he decided I need a 1/2” taken off my irons. I tried some demo clubs at that length and boom center of face contact swing after swing instead of inside of the face contact. I was like great let’s make the adjustment. But to my ignorance it changed my swing weight from a d1 to a c7 and now I can’t feel the club head and I’m hitting the ball so inconsistently. 
so my question is what is everyone’s preferred swingweight? Out of curiousity. 

For Irons i prefer a D0 but i only know that because that is what my current clubs are set to. I had no idea what the SW of my other irons have been. 😛 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

My preferred is D4 but my current set is at D2. I did have a ton of lead tape on my irons to get to D4 but have been experimenting with them at D2 to see how they perform. My T100s are so pretty I didn’t want lead tape all over them haha but if I feel like I’m inconsistent I will put it right back on. Part of the fun for me is taking precut lead tale strips with me to the range and dialing in what feels best for each club. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

Could not tell you. I just swing the clubs. Can’t really feel anything good or bad during the swing and I have swung a lot of different clubs. I go by results.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Could not tell you. I just swing the clubs. Can’t really feel anything good or bad during the swing and I have swung a lot of different clubs. I go by results.

This. My CBX irons feel heavier in the head than my old irons because I have graphite shafts in them, but that's not why i chose them or like them. Rather, i love them because Cleveland's shifting of weight in the CBX heads out towards the toe more helps minimize the effect of my most common type of miss. 

It took me about a week to get used to the heavier feeling club head, but I'm just as comfortable swinging both my CBXs and my old clubs equally. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

2 hours ago, Jchris05 said:

So I recently went to a club fitter to help address a baby pull issue I’ve had for years causing me to miss too many gir. After many swings and lie board hitting and measurements he decided I need a 1/2” taken off my irons. I tried some demo clubs at that length and boom center of face contact swing after swing instead of inside of the face contact. I was like great let’s make the adjustment. But to my ignorance it changed my swing weight from a d1 to a c7 and now I can’t feel the club head and I’m hitting the ball so inconsistently. 
so my question is what is everyone’s preferred swingweight? Out of curiousity. 

From what I've read D2 represents the meat of the bell curve.  D1 to D3 a healthy 2 sigma of the population. D1 to C7 is a big change. Heck, I'm noticing a big difference between my G410's D2 and the Cobra Forged Tours with graphite shafts I'm experimenting with.  Those are D2 and D1 respectively and I notice it. Have you contacted the fitter about this?  I'll bet they can adjust for that beyond just lead tape.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I agree with what other have said. Get some lead tape and go to the range. Lead tape is not permanent and will generally peel off easily. Just make sure to measure how much you put on and replicate it across the set or whatever clubs need a higher swing weight. I would avoid the urge to use internal hosel weights as they can pull the COG inside too far and make your irons less forgiving and playable. If you don't like the look of lead tape I think Golfworks still sells rubber coated tungsten weights that you can stick on clubs.