TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wildlife In The Suburbs

chisag

... We live in a typical suburb with medium sized yards but about 1/2 mile from a Forest Preserve. Yesterday a very young coyote knocked over the tin on our front porch that is filled with birdseed. I walked out with him on the front steps and he briskly walked away between the houses on the other side of our court. I filled the can back up with the spilled seed, put the lid on and was inside. When I went back to the porch late in the afternoon he had knocked it over again but now he had crawled inside with birdseed everywhere. This is a small popcorn tin and I was a little shocked he could get inside. He stayed there over night and this morning. We thought he was asleep but his tail wasn't really moving and we looked closer this afternoon and he was dead. So very sad. My son dug a very deep hole in the backyard and we buried him. A very strange way to start Thanksgiving day. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I live in a neighborhood with the houses being about sixty feet apart but I have a large patch of woods behind my house. I've been out there a couple of times just messing around and startled deer. The funny thing is, the place I grew up is two miles away from here and I never saw deer until I moved back this way. 

The coyote in the popcorn tin wins the strangest start to a Thanksgiving I've heard. I can't say I like coyote's, but to have a young animal die like that makes me sad. I do have a pretty big soft spot when it comes to animals. 

In Ohio we live in 'semi rural' area - has gone from rural to vacation homes . Never saw coyotes but heard plenty of them at night. I was always concerned when I walked our small puppy at night.

We frequently saw foxes (there's a den a couple hundred yds away). The young kits were fearless and it was fun watching them play but their parents were always close by.

Don't get me started on the deer that loved to chomp down on my hostas.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Yesterday we had a weird morning. Decent amount of wildlife but in the span of 10 minutes we saw our back 4 blue jays roaming, they scattered when this guy popped up....falcon

4D56F7C2-1B28-4964-9334-AE8C68AF46EF.jpeg.27bb9bdefb316a811ccf405260064c3d.jpegA482DCCB-B190-4380-A804-38563F655900.jpeg.fed38a762dd7049e37bb7c1a636d1a7e.jpegBB56466A-6394-49F1-8848-5CA70D354E19.jpeg.6aaa110c4ea90814f9f4509391647d3d.jpeg

he was there for a good while searching for something not sure what.

after that 4 deer, they scattered when the neighbors shepherd came to play.

we have a good amount of activity usually but have not seen that many jays and a falcon 

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

We always have coyote sightings in our area, but we are a semi-rural community of 300K people spread out on two sides of the Columbia River.  Many houses are on 1-5 acres with horses, cows, chickens, goats, etc., so we get the top of the food chain getting close to the center of town.  Over the past 10 years we have averaged a couple of cougar sightings a year.  They captured one a few years ago and sent it to a big cat reserve near Portland.  Behind my house about a 1/2 mile is Badger Mountain (really just a big hill) and there is a walking path through the sagebrush/native grasses to the top where there are lots of antennas.  This last summer walkers spotted a cougar on the mountain; path was closed for awhile.  As far as I know, they didn't catch it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

IMG_3671.jpg.6b2fec5d666a17058166fedadf2d2677.jpgIMG_3705.jpg.d071a7e50e8e417125859a9cf96c9825.jpg

These were taken in my backyard.  Each year we have one or two does raise their fawns in our yard.  

Last spring we had a raccoon move into our dog house with five or six little ones.  

We have fox on a regular basis and once had a bobcat go through.  

I live in a wooded area near the edge of a small town, so it's not all that uncommon for animals to wander through the yard.  

When my youngest son was around 14, he was dropped off by the school bus and came in the house saying there were a couple of deer in the front yard.  We went out to see them and by the time we got out there, the buck had mounted the doe and was too busy to be bothered by us.  A bit awkward with a 14 year old.  I turned to him and said,  "It just goes to show you that guys get really stupid when it comes to sex."  We still laugh about it years later.   

... Here is the little guy we had to bury yesterday. 😢

410045555_Coyotejpeg.jpeg.9935dd5517280fa389cd1f64b6268fb2.jpeg

18 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Yesterday we had a weird morning. Decent amount of wildlife but in the span of 10 minutes we saw our back 4 blue jays roaming, they scattered when this guy popped up....falcon

4D56F7C2-1B28-4964-9334-AE8C68AF46EF.jpeg.27bb9bdefb316a811ccf405260064c3d.jpegA482DCCB-B190-4380-A804-38563F655900.jpeg.fed38a762dd7049e37bb7c1a636d1a7e.jpegBB56466A-6394-49F1-8848-5CA70D354E19.jpeg.6aaa110c4ea90814f9f4509391647d3d.jpeg

he was there for a good while searching for something not sure what.

after that 4 deer, they scattered when the neighbors shepherd came to play.

we have a good amount of activity usually but have not seen that many jays and a falcon 

That's actually a Cooper's Hawk.  Completely different species than a Falcon.  You can tell by the long narrow banded tail.  That tail allows them to flow low to the ground with quick maneuvers to catch other small birds in flight, their favorite prey.  

The Sharp Shinned Hawk is very similar to the Cooper's, just smaller in size.  

Falcon's would consist of a Peregrine Falcon, Kestrel & Merlin .... all of which look nothing like the rest of the Order Falconiformes .... which consist of Hawks, Falcons, & Eagles.

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

17 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

That's actually a Cooper's Hawk.  Completely different species than a Falcon.  You can tell by the long narrow banded tail.  That tail allows them to flow low to the ground with quick maneuvers to catch other small birds in flight, their favorite prey.  

The Sharp Shinned Hawk is very similar to the Cooper's, just smaller in size.  

Falcon's would consist of a Peregrine Falcon, Kestrel & Merlin .... all of which look nothing like the rest of the Order Falconiformes .... which consist of Hawks, Falcons, & Eagles.

... I don't know why Coopers and Sharp Shinned hawks do not command my respect like Red Tail hawks. Red Tails are majestic and watching them fall from the sky on rodents just seems like nature at work. Otoh, watching Coppers hawks relentlessly chase a fellow bird like a Navy Fighter pilot in a one sided air battle just seems unnatural. Especially when they attack birds eating food I have put out in a feeder under the cover of a tree. The course I play most often has a pair of Red Hawks that of course allow no other predators on their territory. The male is large but the female is just HUGE. I have seen several bloody confrontations with other hawks that ventured in to their territory. But lately a Coopers/Sharp Shinned hawk has left bird feather groupings all over the course where they killed another bird. I completely understand Nature is Nature and my opinion is irrational yet watching a majestic hawk soaring and screeching compared to a flash of a Coopers hawk barely visible as it maneuvers at knee height around and through trees/bushes/heather at break neck speed hunting it's own species is just different for me. 

... I don't know why Coopers and Sharp Shinned hawks do not command my respect like Red Tail hawks. Red Tails are majestic and watching them fall from the sky on rodents just seems like nature at work. Otoh, watching Coppers hawks relentlessly chase a fellow bird like a Navy Fighter pilot in a one sided air battle just seems unnatural. Especially when they attack birds eating food I have put out in a feeder under the cover of a tree. The course I play most often has a pair of Red Hawks that of course allow no other predators on their territory. The male is large but the female is just HUGE. I have seen several bloody confrontations with other hawks that ventured in to their territory. But lately a Coopers/Sharp Shinned hawk has left bird feather groupings all over the course where they killed another bird. I completely understand Nature is Nature and my opinion is irrational yet watching a majestic hawk soaring and screeching compared to a flash of a Coopers hawk barely visible as it maneuvers at knee height around and through trees/bushes/heather at break neck speed hunting it's own species is just different for me. 
Yeah the females of all of the species are gigantic compared to the males.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

I just assumed the beak looked different from a hawk and was much smaller than the hawks we usually have around here.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Here is the little guy we had to bury yesterday. 😢

410045555_Coyotejpeg.jpeg.9935dd5517280fa389cd1f64b6268fb2.jpeg

Definitely looks like a sick pup. Hopefully you guys took precautions since they can carry rabies. Here's a pick from last winter. The foxes in our yard were  always easier to spot in the winter snow since their red fur is such a contrast. IMG_1017.JPG.b637ee35299034a33f6775547f15264f.JPG

Oh and I'd be remiss if I didn't show a pic of the normal wildlife visitors to my daughters yard in Hobart, Tasmania 

IMG_3774.JPG.a515d610515f0b10f5d301f36ec19bd0.JPG

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

... We just left him in the can and then dropped him in the grave without touching anything. Said a few words and filled in the hole. At least he has company as 2 of our dogs are also buried back there. 

Definitely looks like a sick pup. Hopefully you guys took precautions since they can carry rabies. Here's a pick from last winter. The foxes in our yard were  always easier to spot in the winter snow since their red fur is such a contrast. IMG_1017.JPG.b637ee35299034a33f6775547f15264f.JPG
Oh and I'd be remiss if I didn't show a pic of the normal wildlife visitors to my daughters yard in Hobart, Tasmania 
IMG_3774.JPG.a515d610515f0b10f5d301f36ec19bd0.JPG

Never saw “those” in New England!
Seriously, when we lived in CT there were 2 and State Forest in back of our house, definitely pretty cool w all the wildlife.
In all those years only saw 1 Peregrine Falcon in back of our house. Watching it hunt mice in the field was a great opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

11 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Never saw “those” in New England!
Seriously, when we lived in CT there were 2 and State Forest in back of our house, definitely pretty cool w all the wildlife.
In all those years only saw 1 Peregrine Falcon in back of our house. Watching it hunt mice in the field was a great opportunity.

Never saw foxes or wallabies? 😂😂

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Never saw foxes or wallabies? 

I don’t know how to spell wallabies
The foxes & coyotes were competing for the territory. Coyotes were in abundance! SWMBO & one of our daughters were sitting on the back deck when she said to my wife “look at the German Shepard running thru the field”, SWMBO said that’s no dog it’s a coyote!

Rick

Left Hand, 

I get a lot of wildlife coming through or stopping for a snack.  Black Bear, Whitetail Deer, Turkeys, Fox, Racoons, Coyotes, and the occasional American Black Vulture swooping down to take my golf ball thinking it was an egg. (True Story)

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Growing up in the mountains I saw just about everything. Heck, we were so rural I bagged my first deer while taking the shot off the hood of my Grandfather’s 1984 Caprice Classic in the land behind their house. We see some deer and fox on the courses here on the Island and Fire Island has one of the largest concentrations of deer in NY. Kind of odd to see a gaggle of deer running down the beach at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Growing up in the mountains I saw just about everything. Heck, we were so rural I bagged my first deer while taking the shot off the hood of my Grandfather’s 1984 Caprice Classic in the land behind their house. We see some deer and fox on the courses here on the Island and Fire Island has one of the largest concentrations of deer in NY. Kind of odd to see a gaggle of deer running down the beach at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different era that’s for sure. Central CT in 50’s & 60’s similar except for the beach part.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Take from my next door neighbors deck.

IMG_0867.jpg

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Take from my next door neighbors deck.
IMG_0867.jpg.db293265ea7a809aa9d8da68fbb749b5.jpg

That's a strange combination. Generally foxes keep to themselves.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

We're in the burbs, but abut to open space, so get quite the variety of wildlife. Deer, Tule elk, coyotes, and bobcats are daily visitors (keep your small pets inside after dark ...). LOTS of eagles as well, which manage the rodent population nicely. Our bane is the roaming packs of wild boars. We have several HUNDRED that have invaded the neighborhoods, and terrorized the golf course. Our front yard was hit about 3 weeks ago. The course has had them nightly for 2 full months.

We're in the burbs, but abut to open space, so get quite the variety of wildlife. Deer, Tule elk, coyotes, and bobcats are daily visitors (keep your small pets inside after dark ...). LOTS of eagles as well, which manage the rodent population nicely. Our bane is the roaming packs of wild boars. We have several HUNDRED that have invaded the neighborhoods, and terrorized the golf course. Our front yard was hit about 3 weeks ago. The course has had them nightly for 2 full months.

where are you located?

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

On 11/26/2020 at 8:00 PM, tony@CIC said:

Don't get me started on the deer that loved to chomp down on my hostas.

I use Deer Out on our plants to keep them from being eaten and it works very well.  You have to spray it on about every 3 weeks.  I use three of their small concentrate bottles per year.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I use Deer Out on our plants to keep them from being eaten and it works very well.  You have to spray it on about every 3 weeks.  I use three of their small concentrate bottles per year.  

Not sure of the brand I bought - but boy did it stink. It kept me and the deer away.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

... I was telling my 93 yr old Mom about the coyote and she reminded me of a robin that fell out of it's nest and I nursed him back to health. I built a nest on the back porch but he preferred my head LOL. He would fly out of the nest into my head and dig in my hair and I would walk around the house with him on my head. After about 2 weeks he flew away. I had completely forgotten about him until my Mom sent me the picture:

1580092720_Rogeronmyhead.JPG.1beb8627c14bf5ad37f96ff20b13fb9f.JPG 

On 11/26/2020 at 7:02 PM, chisag said:

... We live in a typical suburb with medium sized yards but about 1/2 mile from a Forest Preserve. Yesterday a very young coyote knocked over the tin on our front porch that is filled with birdseed. I walked out with him on the front steps and he briskly walked away between the houses on the other side of our court. I filled the can back up with the spilled seed, put the lid on and was inside. When I went back to the porch late in the afternoon he had knocked it over again but now he had crawled inside with birdseed everywhere. This is a small popcorn tin and I was a little shocked he could get inside. He stayed there over night and this morning. We thought he was asleep but his tail wasn't really moving and we looked closer this afternoon and he was dead. So very sad. My son dug a very deep hole in the backyard and we buried him. A very strange way to start Thanksgiving day. 

Sorry you guys had to go through that.   By the sound of his behavior it sounds like there is a good chance he was rabid. 

On 11/28/2020 at 9:02 PM, goaliedad30 said:

Wild boar are devilish and mean little critters.  They are bad news when they find their way into your area.  Nature's demolition professionals. 

19 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I was telling my 93 yr old Mom about the coyote and she reminded me of a robin that fell out of it's nest and I nursed him back to health. I built a nest on the back porch but he preferred my head LOL. He would fly out of the nest into my head and dig in my hair and I would walk around the house with him on my head. After about 2 weeks he flew away. I had completely forgotten about him until my Mom sent me the picture:

This is awesome!!!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Your story reminded me of when I was about 8, my parents took us to one of those parrot jungle tourist places in Florida. A parrot landed on my brother's shoulder and proceeded to deposit a white stream down the back of his shirt. Hmmm I wonder if you got the same treatment

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

... Indeed, I had poop in my hair on a regular basis.