Jump to content

Wildlife In The Suburbs


chisag
 Share

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

We've been getting a lot more deer in the yard than in past years. I opened the blinds yesterday to 4 of them in the back yard munching away on my dormant grass. Had a fisher trotting through the yard the other day as well, first time I've ever seen one in person. I hear them at night a bunch which is eerie. 

 

... Being a city boy that was raised in the country, I had no idea what a "fisher" was til I looked it up. Looks kinda like a land otter. 

  • Like 1

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
... Being a city boy that was raised in the country, I had no idea what a "fisher" was til I looked it up. Looks kinda like a land otter. 

Likewise, being a city boy myself I had never even heard of them until we had been here for about a year and I heard a woman screaming at 2am. Wasn’t a woman - it was a fisher. Freaked me right out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5* R Flex Evenflow RipTide
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D7 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
... Being a city boy that was raised in the country, I had no idea what a "fisher" was til I looked it up. Looks kinda like a land otter. 

More like a weasel or mink.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Rick

 

 

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr   
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, russtopherb said:


Likewise, being a city boy myself I had never even heard of them until we had been here for about a year and I heard a woman screaming at 2am. Wasn’t a woman - it was a fisher. Freaked me right out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fox can sound like that too.  

  • Like 2

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Accra Tour Z M5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :Sub70: Raw 50*, Nippon Tour 120 X; :vokey-small: SM9 54* / 10* / S, Wedge Flex ;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 57*, PX LZ 6.5;   :ping-small: Ancient Anser or Heppler Fetch (depends on the week);  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I got home from work today and my wife told me I was going to be jealous of her. My immediate response was "did you get fitted for new irons?". 

That wasn't it...what happened was she saw the albino deer that hangs around our neighborhood and she took video. I got a screenshot of it, and I thought it was pretty cool. Screenshot_20210329-180728_Gallery-01.jpeg.a74a7b2aa42539346a2a3e65311f026d.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The metro parks are less than a mile from my house, see Cleveland's Emerald Necklace. But a crew of 7-12 doe have been hanging around getting into staring contests with my dog. Sometimes he'll hop and bow like he wants them to play.

Also one day over the winter a hawk nailed a good sized rabbit in the yard. It was fun trying to keep the coon hound away from the kill. I heard hawks will return to their kill, but I left it for awhile and it never came back.

Take Dead Aim

  • Like 2

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: Titleist 714CB 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM5 & SM6 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

I'm lucky enough to have Deer come in my back yard early in the morning. I also have a lot of Hawks looking for squirls and rabbits. Recently, I have a Red Fox that I see every now and again in the evening. 

My Am Bull... Moose, isn't as fond of him as I am...😂

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This had been my backyard the last few mornings. Mom is usually not far, and thankfully she doesn't leave the fawn in our yard. But my dog knows it's around and tries to get it. It's just chain link between my neighbors and he's a treeing walker coon hound, so if he sees it, it fires him up

IMG_20220629_081337.jpg

IMG_20220629_081417.jpg

IMG_20220629_081420.jpg

IMG_20220629_081424.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Love 2

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: Titleist 714CB 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey SM5 & SM6 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2022 at 2:29 AM, Philip_R said:

Living right next to the Kruger National Park, we get some interesting animals that occasionally come into town, some more frequently than others. 

Vervet Monkeys are very frequent visitors in town and will get into houses and ruin everything inside looking for food, and if cornered will soil themselves and everything around them in the house. 

Baboons are seen daily on the golf course. See my very poor picture taken late yesterday afternoon.  

20220704_170042.jpg.f2dc969bb8199979e915c9a203fd7744.jpg

2 Years ago there was a young male lion that came out of the park moved through town from the one side to the other to eventually being darted and returned to the park a week later, after killing some livestock. 

Last week a large leopard was caught in a cage in Komatipoort in town about 45km away from Malelane. He came into town at night and caught a number of dogs before getting caught. 

We also have crocodiles in nearly every dam or pond with constant water. On our processing plant, where I am the engineer, we have crocodiles in the effluent dams.  Once these crocodiles exceed 2.5m in length they start to see humans as pray and will try and attack humans coming to close to the water. We had a fatality earlier this year where a poacher went into a dam with nets to fish at night. All the rivers in the area have hippos and some farmers even have "tame" hippos that sleep on their porch. 

During the dry season elephants, hippo and buffalo break through the park fence to feed on the sugarcane fields bordering the park and town. These animals get shot and the meat goes to the poor local communities. 2 Years ago during an extreme drought 2 elephants came into town, after being chased back by helicopter twice, and chose to break the fence for a third time they were shot. 

Snakes in yards is a regular occurrence and it is mostly Mozambique spitting cobras or Black Mambas being removed. Luckily the private security companies offer snake catching and removal as part of their standard service. 

Dang.....and I am irritated by deer eating the hastas and other plants if I don't get the Deer out sprayed on periodically.  That ain't nuthin' compared to elephants eating the cane fields, hippos on the deck, monkeys flinging poo, lions eating livestock & pets, etc, etc!!!   😱

  • Like 5

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Accra Tour Z M5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :Sub70: Raw 50*, Nippon Tour 120 X; :vokey-small: SM9 54* / 10* / S, Wedge Flex ;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 57*, PX LZ 6.5;   :ping-small: Ancient Anser or Heppler Fetch (depends on the week);  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This picture was taken in late fall 2019 in a place called Sugar Mountain about 15 minutes northwest of Linville Golf Club. Yes, those are mountain lions!!!

Cougars.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sixcat said:

This picture was taken in late fall 2019 in a place called Sugar Mountain about 15 minutes northwest of Linville Golf Club. Yes, those are mountain lions!!!

Cougars.jpg

Love it!!

  • Like 2

Rick

 

 

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr   
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, sixcat said:

This picture was taken in late fall 2019 in a place called Sugar Mountain about 15 minutes northwest of Linville Golf Club. Yes, those are mountain lions!!!

Cougars.jpg

You can catch them by putting a large cardboard box in a field... seriously!  😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2022 at 1:29 AM, Philip_R said:

Living right next to the Kruger National Park, we get some interesting animals that occasionally come into town, some more frequently than others. 

Vervet Monkeys are very frequent visitors in town and will get into houses and ruin everything inside looking for food, and if cornered will soil themselves and everything around them in the house. 

Baboons are seen daily on the golf course. See my very poor picture taken late yesterday afternoon.  

20220704_170042.jpg.f2dc969bb8199979e915c9a203fd7744.jpg

2 Years ago there was a young male lion that came out of the park moved through town from the one side to the other to eventually being darted and returned to the park a week later, after killing some livestock. 

Last week a large leopard was caught in a cage in Komatipoort in town about 45km away from Malelane. He came into town at night and caught a number of dogs before getting caught. 

We also have crocodiles in nearly every dam or pond with constant water. On our processing plant, where I am the engineer, we have crocodiles in the effluent dams.  Once these crocodiles exceed 2.5m in length they start to see humans as pray and will try and attack humans coming to close to the water. We had a fatality earlier this year where a poacher went into a dam with nets to fish at night. All the rivers in the area have hippos and some farmers even have "tame" hippos that sleep on their porch. 

During the dry season elephants, hippo and buffalo break through the park fence to feed on the sugarcane fields bordering the park and town. These animals get shot and the meat goes to the poor local communities. 2 Years ago during an extreme drought 2 elephants came into town, after being chased back by helicopter twice, and chose to break the fence for a third time they were shot. 

Snakes in yards is a regular occurrence and it is mostly Mozambique spitting cobras or Black Mambas being removed. Luckily the private security companies offer snake catching and removal as part of their standard service. 

And WHY does anyone live there?! Good gracious.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

Driver: Honma TR 460 8.5*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 S, 45 1/4"; Ping G425 LST, Fujikura Speeder TR 661 S, 45 1/2"

hybrids: Cobra King Tec 17* and 21*, both with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105 X

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4-6, ZX7 7-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil F4, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/5/2022 at 2:29 AM, Philip_R said:

Living right next to the Kruger National Park, we get some interesting animals that occasionally come into town, some more frequently than others. 

Vervet Monkeys are very frequent visitors in town and will get into houses and ruin everything inside looking for food, and if cornered will soil themselves and everything around them in the house. 

Baboons are seen daily on the golf course. See my very poor picture taken late yesterday afternoon.  

20220704_170042.jpg.f2dc969bb8199979e915c9a203fd7744.jpg

2 Years ago there was a young male lion that came out of the park moved through town from the one side to the other to eventually being darted and returned to the park a week later, after killing some livestock. 

Last week a large leopard was caught in a cage in Komatipoort in town about 45km away from Malelane. He came into town at night and caught a number of dogs before getting caught. 

We also have crocodiles in nearly every dam or pond with constant water. On our processing plant, where I am the engineer, we have crocodiles in the effluent dams.  Once these crocodiles exceed 2.5m in length they start to see humans as pray and will try and attack humans coming to close to the water. We had a fatality earlier this year where a poacher went into a dam with nets to fish at night. All the rivers in the area have hippos and some farmers even have "tame" hippos that sleep on their porch. 

During the dry season elephants, hippo and buffalo break through the park fence to feed on the sugarcane fields bordering the park and town. These animals get shot and the meat goes to the poor local communities. 2 Years ago during an extreme drought 2 elephants came into town, after being chased back by helicopter twice, and chose to break the fence for a third time they were shot. 

Snakes in yards is a regular occurrence and it is mostly Mozambique spitting cobras or Black Mambas being removed. Luckily the private security companies offer snake catching and removal as part of their standard service. 

Ahhh this makes me miss South Africa!

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

This picture was taken in late fall 2019 in a place called Sugar Mountain about 15 minutes northwest of Linville Golf Club. Yes, those are mountain lions!!!

Cougars.jpg

Heccccckkkkkkk no.   My high school's mascot was the cougar and we had one that visited a taxidermist on the way to the lobby of our school, those little jokers are way bigger up close than you'd expect.

  • Like 5

SkyCaddie SX400
Gameday
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small:King F9, Atmos TS Blue
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small:Covert 2.0 5W, 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson_staff_small:Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small:Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL:ER2
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)


Romans 10:9

 

 


Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

:ping-small:Eye 2 Laminate, 1,3,5,7
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW
:ping-small:Original Anser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnSmalls said:

Heccccckkkkkkk no.   My high school's mascot was the cougar and we had one that visited a taxidermist on the way to the lobby of our school, those little jokers are way bigger up close than you'd expect.

They weigh between 150 and 200 pounds fully grown. 

Can we all agree to keep this a secret? Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources still claim the Eastern Cougar (Mountain Lion) has been extinct since the 1920's. North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia and Kentucky all disagree. So do the farmers in southwest Virginia that have game-camera footage. These two relaxing in the trees were less than 50 miles south of the Virginia state line. Hard to imagine them being so prevalent that close to Virginia, within the same mountain range, and not be in Virginia. Virginia Tech has even proven the existence (with photos) of Mountain Lions as far north as Gravel Springs Gap 50 miles west of Washington DC. Again, same mountain range. 

My state can be completely ridiculous sometimes. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, sixcat said:

They weigh between 150 and 200 pounds fully grown. 

Can we all agree to keep this a secret? Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources still claim the Eastern Cougar (Mountain Lion) has been extinct since the 1920's. North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia and Kentucky all disagree. So do the farmers in southwest Virginia that have game-camera footage. These two relaxing in the trees were less than 50 miles south of the Virginia state line. Hard to imagine them being so prevalent that close to Virginia, within the same mountain range, and not be in Virginia. Virginia Tech has even proven the existence (with photos) of Mountain Lions as far north as Gravel Springs Gap 50 miles west of Washington DC. Again, same mountain range. 

My state can be completely ridiculous sometimes. 

You can add SC to that list.

I've got a family member and a few friends that work for the department of natural resources (game wardens) that have all seen cougars in SC and NC while they were hunting, patrolling, or doing preserve work.  It is not a common thing, but they are certainly in the Carolinas.

  • Like 3

SkyCaddie SX400
Gameday
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small:King F9, Atmos TS Blue
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small:Covert 2.0 5W, 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson_staff_small:Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small:Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL:ER2
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)


Romans 10:9

 

 


Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

:ping-small:Eye 2 Laminate, 1,3,5,7
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW
:ping-small:Original Anser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

You can catch them by putting a large cardboard box in a field... seriously!  😂

Remind me if I'm ever up that way to carry some catnip to throw at them if they decide to come after me. Maybe that'll distract them long enough to get away.

Thanks for sharing the photo @sixcat, that's pretty cool. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One more for the archives. This was taken in the parking lot of Cross Creek Country Club in Mount Airy, North Carolina in 2018. 

 

Bear.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...