Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Distance or accuracy?

pasta

Hello everyone, so i got fit for a driver, and i am a very tactile person. With this amazing sport of golf everything matters, touch, feel, sound etc....so after trying 6 different drivers it came down to two.  Callaway maverick max 66g stiff and ping g410 plus 75g stiff. The maverick i hit longer but less accurate than the g410plus.  It was a little more erratic, but more yards is what we all want, right?....do you go for the longer club, struggle and try to get more accurate? Or do you take the more accurate and try to make it go farther? 

6045890976111614687.jpg

6801855737979923228.jpg

callaway rogue pw-4, +1/2 long 1/2 flat...stiff flex. Sm6 50*06, sm5 56*14, sm5 60*07...taylormade gapr lo 3 stiff set to about a 2 iron loft.

im currently in the market for a driver stiff flex

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

Same here, it the distance is nominal I'd take the closer dispersion. I just went through that this past summer with iron fittings - ended up with the irons that gave me more accurate shots. On the other hand if you're getting 20+ more yards, well.......

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

19 minutes ago, Shankster said:

What was the difference in distance? If it is 5 yards, take the accuracy all day. 

On average it was 10-15 yards but accuracy was an issue because the misses on the callaway were worse and the ping g410 it was more manageable.  

callaway rogue pw-4, +1/2 long 1/2 flat...stiff flex. Sm6 50*06, sm5 56*14, sm5 60*07...taylormade gapr lo 3 stiff set to about a 2 iron loft.

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

I'm with @Shanksterand @tony@CIC, unless your consistently seeing 20+ yards, definitely accuracy.  Did your fitter discuss shaft length and more specifically using a shorter one?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm with @Shanksterand @tony@CIC, unless your consistently seeing 20+ yards, definitely accuracy.  Did your fitter discuss shaft length and more specifically using a shorter one?  

No we didnt go over length, we did shaft weight, and driver heads. This was the first pro shop i liked in the time i have been playing golf. He did my irons and i have been happy with them.

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

Club shaft length, and more specifically the discussion that they are too long for most players, has my attention.  Admittedly much of this has come from my recent reading of Tom Wishon's book but also from discussions on this forum. That the majority of professional tour players are using shorter driver lengths speaks volumes.  They seem to know that the extra 5-7 yards isn't worth the trade for hitting from the rough or in the tree lines.  My current experiment choking down on my standard length G410P is yielding positive results; more FIR's and lower scores.

49 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Club shaft length, and more specifically the discussion that they are too long for most players, has my attention.  Admittedly much of this has come from my recent reading of Tom Wishon's book but also from discussions on this forum. That the majority of professional tour players are using shorter driver lengths speaks volumes.  They seem to know that the extra 5-7 yards isn't worth the trade for hitting from the rough or in the tree lines.  My current experiment choking down on my standard length G410P is yielding positive results; more FIR's and lower scores.

How much are you choking down on it?

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

How big was the miss?  10-15 isn’t something to leave on the table... but if that extra 10-15 puts you behind a large oak tree 15 yards deep in the rough... that’s an extra iron or not into the green on well struck shots.

Being a terrible driver myself both accuracy and distance wise this year I would choose to be in the fairway and have an extra club into the green.  My iron play according to arcos sucks, but I don’t think it represents my actual game... it has my driving as a +1 right now I think and my irons at -11.5... not seeing this myself.

Ultimately, the choice is yours.  But I would see if you can’t find some sort of middle ground with the Mavrik and a different shaft possibly?  

31 minutes ago, pasta said:

How much are you choking down on it?

About 3/4".  When you watch both men and women tour pros, it is very common to see them choked down on clubs.  This makes me wonder if they're shaft lengths are the newer standards or not?

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

How big was the miss?  10-15 isn’t something to leave on the table... but if that extra 10-15 puts you behind a large oak tree 15 yards deep in the rough... that’s an extra iron or not into the green on well struck shots.

Being a terrible driver myself both accuracy and distance wise this year I would choose to be in the fairway and have an extra club into the green.  My iron play according to arcos sucks, but I don’t think it represents my actual game... it has my driving as a +1 right now I think and my irons at -11.5... not seeing this myself.

Ultimately, the choice is yours.  But I would see if you can’t find some sort of middle ground with the Mavrik and a different shaft possibly?  

With the maverick i didnt hit any down the middle even with a fade or draw.  The ping felt more solid. I did try the maverick with different shafts and it didnt help with the erratic dispersion. I had an taylormade r1 up until 2 years ago and i got rid of it because no matter what i did i couldnt keep it on the fairway. I havent used a driver in that time, im trying to lower my score and give myself better scoring opportunities.  

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

Sold it like an idiot.

If we all had a $1 for each time we've heard this 🙂.  We are the fish and the OEM market groups the fishermen.  The elixir that is distance is their crankbait... or the perfect dry fly.

Hungry Fish GIF

8 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Well, from that I would pick the PING all day long.  I had a G and it was the most accurate driver I’ve ever played.  Sold it like an idiot.

I never really gave ping a thought because i really dont like the feel of their irons even when it was flush.  But their driver is winning this battle, the only thing that i dont like are the speed bumps in top but that is not a deal breaker.

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

13 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

About 3/4".  When you watch both men and women tour pros, it is very common to see them choked down on clubs.  This makes me wonder if they're shaft lengths are the newer standards or not?

No matter which one i get i will try this, its a great idea because i dont believe he is doing anything with length.

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

I would go with the Ping. You will eventually hit it further. The only Ping I have in the bag is the driver. Best I have hit to date. I have the G400 and I hit this longer and straighter than many others that I have played. Accuracy matters.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I'm with Tom.  I also game a G400 (and it's also the only Ping I have in my bag).  I tend to keep this one in the fairway far more often than I do with other drivers I've used or tried out.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, pasta said:

I never really gave ping a thought because i really dont like the feel of their irons even when it was flush.  But their driver is winning this battle, the only thing that i dont like are the speed bumps in top but that is not a deal breaker.

I would agree.  The irons are an acquired taste.  I generally dislike callaway, but hit a Mavrik myself recently.  I was impressed, but I just can’t get over my aversion towards their brand... it goes way back.

One other comment regarding your two choices.  Try different stock shafts with each driver.  The correct shaft for your swing coupled with the head will be much more telling.  You have almost 10 grams difference in shaft weight between the 2.  That can make a difference in the quality of your strike.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

1 minute ago, CarlH said:

One other comment regarding your two choices.  Try different stock shafts with each driver.  The correct shaft for your swing coupled with the head will be much more telling.  You have almost 10 grams difference in shaft weight between the 2.  That can make a difference in the quality of your strike.

We did 5 different driver heads and started eliminating based on my feedback and the actually hit. Then between the those two we played with different weight shafts.  It felt more solid with the ping and more controlled.  I do have a fast transition from backswing to downswing.

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

Id go for the more accurate one.  You can always swing a bit harder and get a few more yards out of it if accuracy isnt a concern.  If youre spraying it all over the place, distance doesnt really matter unless its 50 yards longer.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Long and wrong isn't conducive to good scores.  🙂  

Ping irons don't work for me, but interestingly my 410 driver always finds the fairways. My fitter did cut it down 1/2" inch.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

For 10 yards,  I'd go based on dispersion.   That said,  you didn't say how bad the dispersion was on the Callaway.   Misses with the driver are about 60 yards wide. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think there are some good comments on the this thread and I myself would also lean towards tighter dispersion. However, I would also suggest thinking about which driver felt better during the swing. Was there one that you felt you could swing more controlled or swing faster while maintaining a good tempo? Both driver heads are good but getting the shaft to feel right is important as it really dictates how comfortable you feel with the club. The other thing to keep in mind is that you will adjust to your driver over time. So the dispersion and distance numbers on a launch monitor from a single session, if there aren't major differences, aren't necessarily the most telling of how you will play with the club long-term. However, if there was a big dispersion or distance disparity, I would certainly get the better performing driver.

Accuracy!! The golf course rewards you for hitting fairways, more accuracy, lower scores! 

:titelist-small: - Driver - TSi2 10 deg, -1 Length, Project X TSi Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60 (6.0)
:titelist-small:  - Fairway Wood - TSi2 3 Wood 15 deg, -½ Length, Project X TSi Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Hybrid - TS2 Hybrid 19 deg Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 HYB (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Hybrid - TS2 Hybrid 23 deg Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 HYB (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Irons T200 (6 - W 48) True Temper AMT Black (S300)
:titelist-small: - Wedge - SM7 52.12 F Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:titelist-small:  - Wedge - SM8 56.12 D Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:titelist-small:  - Wedge - SM8 60.12 D Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:scotty-small: - 2020 Newport Select, Pistolini Grip, 35"
:titelist-small: - ProV1 

Also would go with the tighter dispersion if it exists in your stats, not net length.  This is way dramatic and don't wish on anyone but: In Winter 2019 landed badly skiing, PT followed, by summer was still loosing 50-70 yards of distance, but shorter length made for better dispersion.   Handicap did not get nearly the bump, 2-3 per round, proving the point that accuracy trumps distance.                                    

Capture.PNG.f3eefbdc6b06267d5450a2cf0c4cc552.PNG

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

Just as has been mentioned by others, I would take the accuracy over the extra distance.  The disclaimer that should be added...  I've not lacked for distance in my time playing golf, coming from a baseball background, with soccer/futbol legs and a former weightlifting habit.  It's easier to give up distance when you have it.  

Ironically, now that I'm 57, with fun injuries added, I find myself sometimes chasing distance at the expense of accuracy.  Even more ironic because it's not like I have all that much accuracy to trade.

Having lived the dream, I can say it's a lot more fun to hit an extra club or even two from the fairway, or just off, than it is hitting punch 2 irons /3 irons out of the trees.  I don't care how good I've gotten at a punch long iron, with all the practice I've had, it's not going to make up the difference.  🙂

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

On 11/29/2020 at 8:27 PM, cnosil said:

On 11/29/2020 at 8:27 PM, cnosil said:

For 10 yards,  I'd go based on dispersion.   That said,  you didn't say how bad the dispersion was on the Callaway.   Misses with the driver are about 60 yards wide. 

Well it was roughly 20-30 yards more right on average, it would most likley end up in the trees where i am. I dont know if the confidence is there with the maverick because of that. 

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg