Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Distance or accuracy?

pasta

On 11/30/2020 at 10:27 AM, Kansas King said:

I think there are some good comments on the this thread and I myself would also lean towards tighter dispersion. However, I would also suggest thinking about which driver felt better during the swing. Was there one that you felt you could swing more controlled or swing faster while maintaining a good tempo? Both driver heads are good but getting the shaft to feel right is important as it really dictates how comfortable you feel with the club. The other thing to keep in mind is that you will adjust to your driver over time. So the dispersion and distance numbers on a launch monitor from a single session, if there aren't major differences, aren't necessarily the most telling of how you will play with the club long-term. However, if there was a big dispersion or distance disparity, I would certainly get the better performing driver.

That is what i have really taken into consideration,  and the ping did feel better in a tactile way. The hit felt solid and the sound was appealing. I know in time i might be ablento get comfortable with the maverick, but will it happen before i get too frustrated. That is why im going to go with the ping i believe. 

callaway rogue pw-4, +1/2 long 1/2 flat...stiff flex. Sm6 50*06, sm5 56*14, sm5 60*07...taylormade gapr lo 3 stiff set to about a 2 iron loft.

im currently in the market for a driver stiff flex

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

Well it was roughly 20-30 yards more right on average, it would most likley end up in the trees where i am. I dont know if the confidence is there with the maverick because of that.

More right doesnt describe the width of a dispersion pattern. A dispersion pattern has a center and goes out equally left and right. This tells you where to aim when setting up on the tee. If you are 20-30 yards more right then move your target that much left.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 11/29/2020 at 1:44 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Club shaft length, and more specifically the discussion that they are too long for most players, has my attention.  Admittedly much of this has come from my recent reading of Tom Wishon's book but also from discussions on this forum. That the majority of professional tour players are using shorter driver lengths speaks volumes.  They seem to know that the extra 5-7 yards isn't worth the trade for hitting from the rough or in the tree lines.  My current experiment choking down on my standard length G410P is yielding positive results; more FIR's and lower scores.

I choke down about an inch maybe at most inch and a half .. and I been hitting the driver a lot better

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

More right doesnt describe the width of a dispersion pattern. A dispersion pattern has a center and goes out equally left and right. This tells you where to aim when setting up on the tee. If you are 20-30 yards more right then move your target that much left.

The maverick was over 60 yards where as the ping i believe was around 30 on average because i wasnt missing left at all . If i remember correctly. 

callaway rogue pw-4, +1/2 long 1/2 flat...stiff flex. Sm6 50*06, sm5 56*14, sm5 60*07...taylormade gapr lo 3 stiff set to about a 2 iron loft.

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

The maverick was over 60 yards where as the ping i believe was around 30 on average because i wasnt missing left at all . If i remember correctly. 

Then take the ping because PGA players have about a 60 yard wide dispersion pattern.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 hours ago, pasta said:

That is what i have really taken into consideration,  and the ping did feel better in a tactile way. The hit felt solid and the sound was appealing. I know in time i might be ablento get comfortable with the maverick, but will it happen before i get too frustrated. That is why im going to go with the ping i believe. 

Sounds like the Ping is the winning answer then. I'm not sure of the actual (not marketing) design differences between the Ping and the Mavrik, but Pings seem to usually be more accurate. I don't know if their designs have a different bulge and roll that leads to more accuracy or what but whatever they do works well.

I went for the longest club I felt I could control. I went for a fitting and tested the sim and Mavrik SZ and the Mavrik was longer by about 10 yards carry, however I couldn't control it. The Sim was longer than my current gamer, but more accurate than the mavrik, so I went with the Sim. It's really up to the user if they are looking for yards or accuracy. It also depends on what type of courses you are playing. If they are mostly wide open then distance might be the way to go, then you carry a go to 3 wood for when you need to find the fairway. On the flipside if you play courses that require accuracy or have more trees, then it makes sense to go for accuracy.

In general you can never go wrong with hitting the ball more accurately. However I have always gone with the idea of taking the longest carrying driver I felt I could control 

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

For me, I go for the more accurate one.  I noticed this year that when I can be in the fairway or close to it, my scores were lower.  When I tried to hit for more distance, I was very erratic and half the time it was like taking a penalty shot (hitting back into the fairway) to get into a position to play for the green.

Mizuno Irons, Callaway Driver, Cleveland Wedges, Evnroll putter

On 11/29/2020 at 12:44 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Club shaft length, and more specifically the discussion that they are too long for most players, has my attention.  Admittedly much of this has come from my recent reading of Tom Wishon's book but also from discussions on this forum. That the majority of professional tour players are using shorter driver lengths speaks volumes.  They seem to know that the extra 5-7 yards isn't worth the trade for hitting from the rough or in the tree lines.  My current experiment choking down on my standard length G410P is yielding positive results; more FIR's and lower scores.

The second time I was fitted for a driver my life (Mavrik SZ) the fitter suggested 3/4" shorter than I was currently playing. Large misses are down this year.

9* Mavrik Sub Zero 18*818H2  4 - PW/GW T300 

52/56 SM8 60 SM7 Taylormade Spider X - Face Balanced

8 hours ago, Flip4000 said:

I went for the longest club I felt I could control. I went for a fitting and tested the sim and Mavrik SZ and the Mavrik was longer by about 10 yards carry, however I couldn't control it. The Sim was longer than my current gamer, but more accurate than the mavrik, so I went with the Sim. It's really up to the user if they are looking for yards or accuracy. It also depends on what type of courses you are playing. If they are mostly wide open then distance might be the way to go, then you carry a go to 3 wood for when you need to find the fairway. On the flipside if you play courses that require accuracy or have more trees, then it makes sense to go for accuracy.

In general you can never go wrong with hitting the ball more accurately. However I have always gone with the idea of taking the longest carrying driver I felt I could control 

Curious, what's your usual shot shape? Interested in what control issues you had with the Mavrik. Mine is def farther off the tee but struggled with the lefts for a bit after being fitted.

9* Mavrik Sub Zero 18*818H2  4 - PW/GW T300 

52/56 SM8 60 SM7 Taylormade Spider X - Face Balanced

I’d say it more depends on where your game struggles. It sounds like we’re similar in that we’ve both struggled keeping a driver in play and use other clubs.

I lose the majority of my strokes at the tee box. I use long irons on the majority of my tee shots.  For a while, I pulled my driver from the bag and added a wedge. 

If it came down to keeping it in play versus not, the answer is obvious to me. If it came down to long 2nd/3rd shots from the fairway versus short 2nd/3rd shots from the rough, I’d have to ask myself again where am I losing strokes. 

For my game, keeping the ball in play, and even better in the fairway, would be my preference. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme, Hzrds Yellow

:taylormade-small: r11 S Fairway Wood

:taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 3-4 Hybrids

:titelist-small: 690MB/CB Iron Set 5-PW

:cleveland-small:  Tour Action, 52-56-60

:odyssey-small:  White Ice D.A.R.T.

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft

Right-handed

14 hours ago, cnosil said:

Then take the ping because PGA players have about a 60 yard wide dispersion pattern.

Maybe my numbers might be wrong but and i applogize but bottom line,  i was hitting the maverick almost twice as far to left and right of center as the ping. 

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

13 minutes ago, pasta said:

Maybe my numbers might be wrong but and i applogize but bottom line,  i was hitting the maverick almost twice as far to left and right of center as the ping. 

Do you have the data from your fitting?  It would help to see it. 

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

13 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Do you have the data from your fitting?  It would help to see it. 

Unfortunately i don't 

right habded

long island, Ny

roughly 27 handicap

20191026_175155.jpg

20161007_160632.jpg

20161007_094834.jpg

Could be lots of reasons for that. You need to decide what you want; they are your clubs. Is the extra distance worth the reduced accuracy? Are you going to take lessons to fix any swing issues?

On 12/3/2020 at 9:12 PM, AlexHowe said:

Curious, what's your usual shot shape? Interested in what control issues you had with the Mavrik. Mine is def farther off the tee but struggled with the lefts for a bit after being fitted.

My typical shape off the tee is a draw that became a hook. Part of the goal was gain more control over the hook. When I tried the mavrik SZ I was hitting long shots, but my groupings were bad. Long ropy hooks and blocks were mainly what I was getting. The SIM was shorter in carry, but the ball generally didn't curve too much from my start line. As someone who already has good length, hitting the ball 20 yards straighter is bigger than 5-10 yards farther

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length