Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2020 Official Member Review: SQAIRZ Golf Shoes

Golfspy_CG2

The folks at SQAIRZ Golf and Sir Nick Faldo have made some pretty impressive claims about the SQAIRZ shoes.   From stablity, to alighment and most of all improved club speed.   Are the claims for real?  Follow these 5 members as they will be putting the shoes through the  paces--literally-to find out if they in fact do pick up 2-3 mph club speed.   

Whatever the findings are it's sure to be an interesting and unique testing!

productlifestyle-whitered.jpg?t=15850841

Testing Members

@Urbs_Valhalla       Review

@GregB135            Review

@Larryd3               Review

@2puttbogey         Review

@Golfspy_CG2       Review

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

SQAIRZ Shoes – Official MGS Forum Review by Edward Urbany

Intro 

Hello everyone, I grew up playing golf as kid but never invested but time in practicing or learning about the game.  As I got older, I decided to focus on my game and hit a few buckets of balls to try and improve myself.  Unfortunately, due to injuries and work I had been away from the game for the past 5 years, before retuning full force this past summer.    I’m your average15 handicap golfer that struggles with consistent ball striking.  I’m right-handed with a three-quarter swing and an aggressive tempo.  I depend heavily on my hips and legs to generate the majority of my power.  During a recent full bag fitting my driver club speed averaged around 105 mph.  I have a nature draw shot, with my misses being a straight push to the right.  My current shoe is the Under Armour HOVR Matchplay.  I chose this shoe because of the price ($98) and I really enjoy the style.  In the past I’ve never given much thought to how a shoe preformed or how it could improve the performance of my game.   

First Impressions

2345.jpeg.d21d816bd5f7152c9f58a8512065d005.jpeg

The first word I thought of after opening the box and holding the shoes for the first time was “Solid”.  I enjoyed the feel and weight of the shoe.  I was impressed with the craftsmanship of the shoe and some of the small details they’ve thought of.  As insignificant as shoe laces can be, their “Sta-put” laces are fantastic.  Every time I tie my shoes, I think about how awesome of an addition it was.  Items I was skeptical about are their Patent pending Torque Generation System (TGS) outsole for superior ground connection to maximize torque, swing speed, and distance”, and “Patented SQAIRZ® toe allows the toes to spread and sit naturally in the shoes which enables the feet to experience full range of motion, unparalleled comfort, and feel for the ground”. 

Looks (6 out of 10 points) 

The overall look of the shoe is great but the squared toe, for me, is distracting.   At address my eye would be drawn to the toe of the show.  If you are a player that needs help with alignment, the squired toe could provide assistance.   The color combos and general layout is fine.  The build quality and materials are above average.  The design pattern and styling do feel stuck between a modern traditional shoe and a dated modern shoe.  These would not be a shoe I would buy if style was an important decision point.  I do feel Sqairz met the mark of their “Patented SQAIRZ® toe” claim and it does allow the toes to spread and sit naturally, but the squared off toe feels gimmicky.  

File_000.jpeg.2ccdc6b616364ee1e715c43c9be3021b.jpeg

File_010.jpeg.c99d2390e949b869b88694d1fc67d766.jpeg

File_011.jpeg.92cd1c5336bbe67af3d62dcb96e2dfc6.jpeg

File_012.jpeg.d7bf29eca1887b3c4edf81927e656973.jpeg

Fit and Comfort (10 out of 10 points)

The Fit and Comfort exceeded my expectations.  I have a semi-flat foot, and after years of active-duty military service my feet have taken a beating.  I typically wear a 9.5E (wide) shoe and these fit perfectly.  They are offered in sizes 7-13 but only one width.  If you are an individual in need a wide toe box, this is your shoe.  There is enough room inside for a thicker sock on cold days.

File_007.jpeg.9dcbf39d0cc612f843654fa3ba2b8844.jpeg

File_008.jpeg.3cfdc75a999833c5f7177cdd61bbf771.jpeg

Basic Features (15 out of 20 points)

Below are the highlighted features by Sqairz, and I feel it’s important to address each of them.

• Patented SQAIRZ® toe allows the toes to spread and sit naturally in the shoes which enables the feet to experience full range of motion, unparalleled comfort, and feel for the ground
    • They feel fantastic and live up to their claim.  My foot never felt bunched or stressed during play or walking around on un even surfaces.
  • Symmetrical wider base in the forefoot area for greater stability and balance
    • I did feel I had a more stable stance and a solid connection with the ground.  It’s hard to say if its due to the wide sole or the shoe weight.
  • Patent pending Torque Generation System (TGS) outsole for superior ground connection to maximize torque, swing speed, and distance
    • I’ve not noticed an increase in swing speed, but I have noticed an increase in distance.  I do feel more stable and feel I made more consistent swings.
  • Six replaceable Pivix Softspikes® strategically placed under pressure point areas where the greatest amount of traction is required, supported by a series of computer-generated traction lugs
    • These do feel like spikeless golf shoes when walking around on hard surfaces.  The spikes were easy to remove with a standard tool.

File_003.jpeg.f4cec1460b433c9cfa8751687508204e.jpeg

• Custom (removable) cushioned insole with added compression in the regional pressure point areas
    • Basic design but does allow for custom insoles to be worn if needed.
  • EVA foam midsole for maximum responsive cushioning
    • Feel is fit if fantastic, you never feel the shoe flex but maintains a soft feel.

File_004.jpeg.1f90b9c4f442f58682f074bb17543d23.jpeg

• “Sta-put” laces comfortably forms the shoe to the top of your foot and locks it in place without having to adjust or re-tie the lace during the round\
    • One of the underrated aspects of design with this shoe.  I love the design and implementation.

File_001.jpeg.c1a597e6b64b93e48b307ef1b76f9d0a.jpeg

On-Course / LM Performance (25 out of 30 points)

During my performance test of this shoe, I can say that it out performed my current shoe in low traction situations.  I did not see any performance gains during indoor sessions.  My indoor numbers on SkyTrax were +/- 1 MPH.  An area I do have a concern with is the weight of the shoe.  These shoes are comfortable but heavy, and after walking 18 holes I can say my legs felt noticeability heavier.  If you only ride then the weight shouldn’t be an issue.

Miscellaneous (10 out of 10 points)

The packaging a presentation of the shoe was great.  My iteration with the company is top notch and easy to see why  

Play it or Trade it? (15 out of 20 points)

Play it “If” you are a cart rider.

I’m someone that enjoys walking a round or two a week and they are just too heavy for me.  The price is inline with other manufactures but Sqairz is lacking some of the styling other companies are offering. 

Conclusion

Sqairz is a small company based out of New Hampshire, trying to makes their way in a crowded shoe market.  They have done a lot right with this shoe.  The feel and comfort are complete.  They live up to their stability and comfort claims.  The styling can be improved and this is a perfect shoe for golfers that prefer to ride.

Final Score: (81 out of 100 points)

File_005.jpeg

File_006.jpeg

Edited by Urbs_Valhalla
Review Post

Driver:  :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik Max 9° neutral weight setting - Shaft: Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60S, length 44.75"

Wood:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 3 wood 13° - Shaft: (Stock) Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 19°-21° - Shaft: (Stock) UST Recoil 480 ESX F4

Irons: :cobra-small: 5-PW Cobra King SZ - Shaft: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105

Wedges: :vokey-small: Titleist Vokey SM8 54°, 58° - Shaft: (Stock) Wedge Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small: Scotty Cameron X12, length 34"

:Clicgear: Rovic RV1S

18 January 2021

Sqairz Golf Shoes – Official MGS Forum Review by GregB135

Intro

I consider myself a pretty typical golfer. I’m 51 years old, I play about once a week, and currently carry a 14 handicap. I also play in a competitive/recreational summer league. When I’m really swinging well, I usually see a high draw. When my tempo gets off though I can get a bit wild. Over time, I’ve tried several different shoes. I’ll admit, I didn’t really connect much in the way of how the shoes were designed into swing performance. I always kind of just went with, do they fit, feel comfortable, keep me from slipping out of a swing, and do I like how they look. In the closet right now, I’ve got FootJoy Freestyle, Johnston & Murphy XC4, Adidas Adiboost Boa, and the test pair of Sqairz. 6 weeks with the Sqaiz may have changed my mind a bit on how to think about shoes.

sqariz2.jpg.1d01998e1f6feb4a47f479f3e29f8b92.jpg

Getting the test started was a really great experience. Bob, the Sqairz founder, contacted each of us to discuss sizing and talk about what we should expect from the shoes. He was very engaging, and it was encouraging to know that the people at the very top of a new golf product company were genuinely enthusiastic about their product, and wanted to engage with the end user to get feedback on making it better. Sqairz currently offer only two models, the Arrow and the 20/20. My choice was the Arrow in gray on gray. The package in the photo is what arrived after the orders were made. 

My first thoughts were, I liked the clean, simple look of the shoes. I’m not one who goes in for a lot of flashiness on the course. They also felt noticeably heavier than my other shoes. I’ll get a little more detailed in the scoring section, but the fit felt a little wide through the mid-foot, roomy in the toe box, and nice and snug in the heel.   

What does Sqairz offer that your current shoe may be lacking? According to their website and advertising https://sqairz.com/performance/ the added stability of the total design, plus the natural movement of the fore-foot in the wider toe box, plus the visual of the square toe line, all adds up to additional club head speed and straighter, longer shots.  

To test that claim, I did several range sessions comparing club head speeds using a basic swing speed radar. Two trials were done from the hitting mats at the range, and two were done on turf. I’ve included quick links to each in the review thread here. First Trial,  Trial 2 , Trial 3 ,  Trial 4. Results on the swing speed testing were inconclusive, but did show some validity to the idea that shoes matter.Trial2all4.jpg.67fa487edf2fd9cf1b4c5e3a5dcc6b1e.jpgradarsqz.jpg.501a71ee8e61c9a9574e9ac296d170b7.jpg

I also made several trips to the short game green and putting green where I saw some REALLY interesting results regarding their alignment aid claim. All I did there was my usual sequence of practice drills paying closer attention to line. I’ll expand on that a bit more in the scoring section as well. 

For me, whenever an OEM makes a claim like ‘use our product and get lower scores’, I greet it with some skepticism. Like anything else, it takes time and analysis to see if those claims are true. With Sqairz, they are entering the market at what for shoes is a premium price point ($199), and they are at least for now, a direct-to-consumer brand. With that kind of price tag, it will definitely take proven results on their claims for me to order another pair.

Grading

Looks: 7 / 10 points

With the general trend in golf shoes leaning more toward sleek and athletic, the bulky, square look of the Sqairz shoes may be enough to put some players off. Being new to the game, the color options are a bit limited. To me, the simple look and color scheme is appealing. So points deducted here were for the bulky or blocky appearance. Think ‘90s era Volvo vs. Corvette. Or, to quote Dudley Moore’s character from Crazy People - “They’re boxy, but they’re good.” Being new to the game, sales volume will likely dictate the emergence of more color options. Until then, I think the original lineup has an option that will appeal to most.

sqmat.jpg.28730f14f0908f2bb13a80b5f8a1b761.jpgSqairz1.jpg.976eb733f52e0ae643cc8652b163cc9b.jpg

Fit and Comfort:  8 / 10 points

First, they’re shoes. Best fit will be determined after trying them on. The website recommends ordering down if you tend to be between sizes. That didn’t work for me, so it took a return/exchange to get me in the correct size. As mentioned above, I noticed the heel was nice and snug, with extra room in the toe box. I really had to cinch down the laces to get the snug feel in the mid-foot that I like. (see photos) At least so far, Sqairz are only available in a single width option, so for those like me with a slightly narrower foot it might take wearing a more cushioned sock to feel perfect. In general, though, they are comfortable for wear on the course. I wore them for a 36-hole outing without complaint, and never had any issues with blisters that often accompany wearing new shoes.

Basic Features 19 / 20 points

These shoes offer just about all you could want out of a golf shoe. They are comfortable, and (to me) they look good enough. What else is there?

Well, I managed to inadvertently do a thorough test of waterproofing by stepping into a muddy creek. The shoe itself had no trouble keeping my foot dry. The upper portion of the sock, yep I put my foot in that deep, not so much. So waterproof, Check!

The lacing system Sqairz uses they call “Sta-put Laces”. Well, they really do stay put. I wore these shoes for hours on end without ever having to re-tie the laces. It actually allows for some fit management, if you will. While I needed to cinch tighter in the mid-foot laces, the sta-put nubs let me do that while staying a little looser at the top of the shoe. That alleviated a bit of a rub at the front of my ankle.

Traction and stability were outstanding. I left some pretty impressive shoe-divots after my range sessions on the turf. I also noticed a reduction in the tendency for my left foot to slip/spin out slightly on full shots.

Through 6 weeks of testing, I haven’t noticed any wear on the soles or excessive wear on the spikes.

My single point deduction is for breathability. They aren’t lacking there to the point of feeling uncomfortable, but I did find my feet/socks noticeably more sweaty when removing the shoes after play or practice.

On-Course / LM Performance: 30 / 30 points

The review template asks us to answer the question: ‘How do the shoes affect your game?’ The best answer I can provide is; certainly not negatively.

Traction wise, they are at least as good as any of my other shoe options, and certainly better than the spikeless shoe I had been wearing as my go-to for a while. I’ll admit, when you read the Sqairz claim of increased stability, it’s something you have to feel for yourself to finally believe it. It’s hard to describe, but they do feel more stable especially setting up to a shot.

The numbers didn’t prove out conclusively in my swing speed trials that the Sqairz result in higher speeds. They did bear that out in every trial over the spikeless J&M’s though. As I suggested in my thread post, as a mid-handicap player, I’m probably not generating consistent enough swing speeds anyway to truly verify that concept.

image.png.16321ca0480b27baf30593dbb54355a8.png

Putting was the real eye-opener to me with these shoes. I know I’ve struggled with putting alignment in the past, even though I average about 32 putts per round or 1.7 per green. The square toe design definitely helped me improve this. I hit so many putts while wearing these that stayed true to the line and looked like they had a chance to go in (when they didn’t go in that is). Doing drill work, it has helped me extend my confident make range (50%) past 6 feet. And all I did to get there was set my putter alignment aid on my intended line, then line up my feet using the square toes. The hard part was learning to trust that meant the rest of me was square. I also saw a similar trend in maintaining the target line on chips and pitches. My practice ball groupings were much tighter side-to-side relative to the line. So at the very least, I saw improved short game performance in the Sqairz even though scoring for my 6 or 7 rounds in them was still about my average.

486486044_puttlineup.jpg.9c15dcc8cdcfb39f249807a049ba54e9.jpg

Miscellaneous: 9 / 10 points

Since Sqairz is a DTC brand, customer service carries a lot of weight here. Direct interaction with the founder aside, the shoes arrived only a couple of days after the order was placed. The return/exchange process I went through was easy, and my replacement shoes arrived in a day. The sta-put laces are a really neat feature, and they aren’t a gimmick, they really work. Another cool extra with Sqairz is their Spikes for Life option. Replacement spikes are available at any time for nothing more than shipping. So, for like $5 you get your replacements in the mail rather than forking out multiple times that for other brands’ replacaments. My one point deduction here is for the weight of the shoes. Each shoe, in my size, weighed in at 1 lb 3 ½ oz. That was 3 oz. heavier than my next heaviest option. If you tend to be a cart rider, that difference won’t matter much. I walked 18 holes wearing these, and my legs were noticeably fatigued after 16 holes.

sqzscale.jpg.8b9f722b7b90badbd7683cb97c5a206c.jpg

Play it or Trade it? 20 / 20 points

My Sqairz Arrow test shoes fit the bill for me on looks and comfort. They seem to live up to the company’s claim that the square toe helps with alignment, and they provide a more stable base. While I wasn’t able to prove out their claim of increased swing speed, after several range sessions wearing them, I’m beginning to see improvement in my ball flight consistency. For me the biggest difference here was on and around the green and the alignment aid of the square toe. Being able to trust better that my body was aligned more square to my intended line gave me more confidence on those shots. My misses were less frequently off line and tended to be the result of poor contact or mis-judgement affecting distance. The difference in putting was eye-opening to me. While I may not be hitting my driver longer with these, strokes gained are still strokes gained. If that happens for me on and around the green then so be it. Over time that will bring my handicap and scores down. So yes, I’m considering ordering a second pair, even though the price tag is a bit higher than I would usually consider for shoes. If anything, I may wait a bit to see if new colors emerge. 

Conclusion

Sqairz says their shoes help you gain swing speed, provide better stability and traction, and offer a simple alignment aid with the square toe. Of those claims, the increased swing speed was the only one my experience thus far doesn’t seem to bear out. They are comfortable, even for extended wear on and around the course. The stability factor is a feel over the ball that is difficult to describe, but when you feel it you understand. They offer really good traction, even on wet or dewy conditions, I never experienced any slipping. I’ve dealt with other direct-to-consumer golf brands for other products, and the customer service care from Sqairz was second to none. They may not have the sleek, athletic look like many of the other offerings out there, but they made enough of a difference for me on the course – especially on and around the greens – that I am definitely considering these my go-to shoe of choice for the time being.

Final Score: 93 / 100 points

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Are these the next thing in golf equipment or just hype or somewhere in between?

IMG_1330.jpeg.13d68b0aeac9d48cb75e6471c3a8b5b1.jpegIMG_1331.jpeg.4ada5a52beb7f199d175306268fdcf73.jpegIMG_1337.jpeg.ae5c3d0ff591476e9b6af5e861d834c5.jpegIMG_1338.jpeg.08fdbfdf8742bf1e9f2189d1a78ee4e3.jpegIMG_1334.jpeg.a83b0567f251c3fa5175d9f4f4f18e60.jpeg

About me, I play golf 3-4 times a week and am fortunate to live in the Tampa Bay area so golf is year-round.  My handicap index hovers between 7.5 and 8.5 so usually shooting around 80 or so with some rounds in the 70s, more of those have been happening recently.  Is it the shoes?  My swing tempo is smooth with driver in the lower 90s.  My usual ball flight is medium high with a small draw but my misses are the big high pushes that are just killers.  Not sure why but every once in a while, out of the blue I get one of those.  I’m not particularly long so my chipping and putting has to be good or my scores will creep into the higher 80s. For my usual shoes, I’ve been wearing Addias 360s with spikes, no spikeless ever for me.  Overall, my number one priority for a set of shoes has to be comfort.  My feet are fairly sensitive to certain types of shoes so when I find a kind that feel good right out of the box, I stick with those whether it is for street or golf shoes.  Just a one brand and model guy.  

Before I received the shoes, I spent probably 30 minutes on the phone with the founder of Sqairz, Bob Winskowicz.  He’s really easy to get hold off and very interesting to speak with.  His passion and belief of the shoes is quickly apparent.  We discussed my current shoes, shoe size and discussed my concern about comfort and fit.  I (we) decided to stick with my basic size 10 shoes, although in the adidas I wear a wide but in the Sqairz just went with the 10s.  Upon receipt of the shoes, they were packaged in a nice box along with a pair of their branded socks, which are really awesome by the way, the shoes and a Sqairz hat.  Quick note on the socks, the right and left are differently shaped but I have trouble figuring which is which.  It would be nice if they put an R and L on them to make it simple like some other golf socks that I have. The brim on the hat is square like the shoes, imagine that!  It’s a really nice quality made and feeling hat.  Now, back to the shoes.  These things are really built well, the quality is quickly apparent.  No details weren’t considered when they were designing these, even down to the shoe laces which have these rubber patches on them every so often so they really grip when tied.  Not sure why nobody else has done that, at least that I’m aware of.  Really just brilliant, tie them once and they are good for the round.  Obviously the interesting or different thing about the shoes is the shape of them.  As you’ve seen in all the pictures the toes are square.  Took me a little time to get used to them but now other golf shoes just seem different looking.  And talk about comfort, the extra space in the toe area makes them so comfortable, I haven’t had any comfort issues with them from the first time I put them.  One of the points that Sqairz marketing is that they increase stability and will actually help you increase your swing speed and get some distance gains.  For me, they are the most stable shoes I’ve every worn.  I’ve worn them on dry days and rainy days and never felt a bit of slipping or feeling like I could slip.  I am hitting the ball further now than a few months ago but I have no way of conclusively saying it’s the shoes, I’m going to assume that I’m just making more centered contact on my shots.  Since the shoes are so much more stable, they very well could be playing a big part of all of that.  I usually ride when I play, one of courses requires cart due to the distances from some of the greens to the next tee box but the other course does allow walking.  I made a point of wearing these shoes for a walking round recently and had no issues.  The shoes are somewhat heavier than the Adidas and other shoes that I’ve worn recently but they were so comfortable walking that I never noticed the extra weight.  So for me it’s not a concern.  I almost forgot to mention that Sqairz will supply you with replacement spikes for $5.95 per set (covers shipping as the spikes are free) for as long as you are using the shoes.  I ordered a set to check it out and received them within a week.  I think it’s a really good value since soft spikes are pretty pricey at the store.  I changed mine out once so far and it was just like changing spikes on any other golf shoes.  I usually soak the spikes and soles in water to loosen the grime that gets packed around the spikes before removing them. Found that trick on a YouTube video.  

Looks    9 out of 10 points

The shape of the shoe is unusual but I got past that quickly.  I’ve had a few good-natured ribbings from my golfing buddies about them at first but they’ve all asked a lot of questions about them.  Once things about the shape is that the square toes really help with alignment especially on the putting green.  My putting has definitely improved and I think the alignment has helped me quite a bit.    Sqairz offers the shoes in black with gray trim, gray with gray, white with navy, black with red, white with red, and gray with blue.  I chose the white with red trim and I’m very happy with my choice.  I’ve worn them for probably 20 rounds and they have held up great. Here they are after the 20 rounds.

IMG_1382.jpeg.816f4c5d34668c24ffe38072e57dad28.jpegIMG_1380.jpeg.12b6535cf268a1bd3948b47f466e74a9.jpegIMG_1374.jpeg.d5d4b6bbf5e22c19293ade81fcaa1751.jpegIMG_1381.jpeg.5b8c0093c797ac4082471e8e886a4011.jpegIMG_1379.jpeg.8def98e7849c1ce0557de7f815721706.jpeg

Fit and Comfort   9 out of 10 points

As I’ve mentioned several times above, the fit and comfort of these shoes is outstanding.  No issues at all for me.  Some may find them heavier than what they are accustomed to so that will come down to an individual’s preference.  Sizes offered start at 7 and go up in ½ sizes thru 13.  Their website says since there is extra width in the toe area to go down a ½ size if you’re in between or unsure.  I didn’t do this and found the size 10 to be perfect for me. I’m going to give these a 9 out of 10 due to the weight even though for me it isn’t an issue. 

Features   20 out of 20 points

The shoes are water proof and I tested this several times in wet conditions and my feet stayed dry so they live up to what the manufacturer says.  Just wiped them off after the round and they cleaned up really nicely and dried fast.  I mentioned the unique shoe laces above but once again they rock totally.  They just won’t come loose or undone during the round, the rubber nubs on them work great.  If you need replacement shoe laces, they can be ordered from Sqairz, might be a good idea to put them on other shoes to get their benefit.  Playing in the Tampa Bay area on hot days, you want a shoe that doesn’t cook your feet while wearing them.  I didn’t have them during the most heat of summer but we’ve had some days in the 80s and had no issues with my feet getting uncomfortable.  On the soft spikes needing replacement, I’m pretty hard on spikes on all my golf shoes and these wore similarly to the Adidas shoes. 

On-Course Performance   25 out of 30 points

As I mentioned above, the stability of these shoes is awesome.  In both wet and dry conditions, I’ve had absolutely no slipping and have so much confidence in the grip of the shoes that I don’t even think about it.  I’m hitting the ball more squarely and longer and really the only thing that’s changed are the shoes with no other equipment changes.  Are the shoes the only reason, I doubt it but they’ve played a role in my improvements.  I’ve had 4 rounds in the 70s recently with a 74 last week which is the best I’ve had in probably 20 years.  Also, my putting has improved a lot which I attribute some of to the Sqairz design which aids in alignment.  It’s really hard to pinpoint one thing that has caused my improvements but it’s happened during the time I’ve been wearing the Sqairz so they have to get some credit.  Has my swing speed increased or is my clubface contact better?  I don’t have a way to measure club head speed and no access to a launch monitor but I’m definitely getting many more centered hits and the shots are more consistent and somewhat longer.  The stability of the shoes gives me the confidence to swing faster and go after the shots better which is paying off in lower scores.  

Miscellaneous   10 out of 10 points

The little things are important and with Squarz being able to speak with the founder/owner of the company is so important.  He’s very interesting to speak with and passionate about the product.  The packaging was great including the pair of socks and the hat, extras that were unexpected but appreciated.  

Play it or Trade it?    20 out of 20 points

These shoes have played a part in my improving and have given me more confidence to play my best.  I have no regrets at all to wear these shoes and will be purchasing an additional pair in the near future.  The price $199.97 is more than what I pay for shoes, I’m more in the $125-$150 range but for me, these are worth the extra money.  

Conclusion      93 out of 100 points

After having these shoes for several months now, they are the real deal.  I can’t say that they gave me 2.2 MPH increase in swing speed or driver distance of 8.8 yards more as they advertisements state but I have noticed an increase in distance and am definitely hitting the ball more centered in the club face and gained some length and accuracy.  My confidence has improved tremendously and my putting is much better, I attribute to the design of the shoes and assisting in alignment.  If the price point isn’t a sticking point for you, I highly recommend giving them a try.  I haven’t regretted it and I don’t think you will either.  To answer my question at the beginning of this post, I think the shoes fall much more towards the next best thing in golf, they are not just hype but really perform.  

IMG_1330.jpeg

IMG_1382.jpeg

IMG_1331.jpeg

IMG_1338.jpeg

IMG_1337.jpeg

IMG_1380.jpeg

IMG_1336.jpeg

IMG_1334.jpeg

IMG_1374.jpeg

IMG_1381.jpeg

IMG_1379.jpeg

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

Sqairz Shoes – Official MGS Forum Review by 2puttbogey
Intro

Welcome to the review. I am an incredibly average golfer that plays pretty much bogey golf. I have been interested in getting some new shoes for golfing so being selected for this was great timing for me. I have always just used my old running shoes after I got new ones, as comfort was my main priority since I walk nearly all of my rounds. I have a relatively smooth swing, but a fast in transition, and figured an upgrade in stability and traction would be a help.So here we go…

First Impressions

When I opened the box I was surprised to find that they came with socks, and there was a hat as well. They were in a quality box, and appeared have a hand written thank you on the inside.
IMG_0607.JPG

Seems after all it’s actually printed on the box, but still a nice touch. When I took out the shoes they felt a bit heavy, but looked good and seems to be quality made. Naturally as expected they look funny, unless you’re a clown in your spare time, but there’s claims as to why.

First is club head speed, and driving distance. I didn’t have a way to validate or debunk the club head speed claim, but I didn’t notice any gain in distance.

Balance, stability, and accuracy are claimed to be improved. Balance and stability are subjective, but I definitely felt a difference. Because of the added balance and stability I noticed an increase in my accuracy as well. Check out the videos with my regular shoes and the Sqairz if you like:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tet9MW7FeXFyuNwq5

Looks ( 8 out of 10 points)

As mentioned before the shape with the square toes is definitely eye catching, and sets them apart from any other shoes I have seen (with the exception of bowling shoes). There’s no mesh for brethabilty, and the color scheme blends nicely to give them a classy look.

IMG_0610.JPG

Fit and Comfort (6 out of 10 points)

IMG_0608.JPG

This is where a lot of my focus was . I walk nearly every round and comfort is my top priority in a shoe. That’s why I wear the running shoes. The Sqairz were a bit of a mixed bag for me. Since I usually use running shoes I tried on some other golf shoes to get an idea of how they fit,and felt on my feet to get a fair comparison to other golf shoes. What I found is that that compare well to a spikless shoes, although they do have spikes on the bottom, but they more comfortable then the options with spikes. They are a bit heavier then most of the other shoes I tried. With that said my legs , and feet did not get tired after walking a round with them.. The sizing can get a bit tricky. Due to the width of them they run a bit big. I tried two different sizes and had better luck with a smaller size. So if you’re between sizes in any way go smaller.

Unfortunately for me I had trouble getting a good fit. I made it 3 holes walking on my first time out with them before I had to change back to my other shoes due to blisters. The owns of the company was very accessible to us so I contacted him and found it to be a size issue. So I tried the smaller size my next time out. I was able to wear them for the whole round, but unfortunately still got some blisters. I all fairness the reason I have been wearing running shoes is because golf shoes in the past have given me blisters so this is not exclusive to the Sqairz. I wore them for a round using a cart , and had no issues at all. Perhaps there is a break in period with them.

Basic Features ( 17 out of 20 points)

The Sqairz offer some great features. The material used makes waterproof, but I didn’t get to test it out since I played afternoon rounds with them. There is no mesh for breathablity so they do tend to get a little hot. The “stay put laces” work great, but would be nice if they were a bit longer.

IMG_0609.JPG

The traction system is where the Sqairz shine. It’s a perfect blend of spiked and spikeless, and creates great stability. The spikes are replaceable, and Sqairz will send you replacements for only the price of shipping which is a great touch.

IMG_0613.JPG

On-Course / LM Performance ( 26 out of 30 points)

Again the Sqairz shined here. Because of the stability and balance I noticed improvements in my accuracy. The feeling of being connected to the ground helped me feel more comfortable knowing my feet wouldn’t slip.

IMG_0612.JPG

As you can see there was a lot of improvement from the shoes that I normally wear. Along with the improved traction there was also a gain in stability. To test a shoe’s stability hold the shoe at heel and toe then twist. Like this:
Obviously the Sqairz twist a lot less( it’s even notable with the bad camera angles).

IMG_0617.JPG
IMG_0614.JPG
All this adds up to the most noticeable gain being in accuracy off the tee where my drives in fairway was increased by 14% when wearing the Sqairz compared to my usual shoes. Not much of a change in my GIR which makes me feel the Sqairz may help high swing speed players the most.

Miscellaneous ( 10 out of 10 points)

If you decide to give the Sqairz a chance, but have an issue rest easy because the customer service is great. I had started with a size I thought was too small, and was sent a new size fast and with no questions asked. When I had the blister issues I was able to speak to the owner directly and discuss what was happening (perk of being a tester).

Play it or Trade it? ( 10 out of 20 points)

This is the love /hate part. The direct answer to the question in this section is yes, under the right circumstances. Because of the blister issues I can’t use them when walking. When I play courses that require a cart I will be using them. I noticed enough in improved performance in my accuracy to keep them around and use whenever possible. My hope would be that as the company grows thay will develop some new options that are more walker friendly.

Conclusion

Sqairz are a quality made shoe with great customer support. The stability, and traction will help balance which will help accuracy, especially off the tee. High swing speed players may see the most benifit. The sizing can be a bit tricky as they are a wider than the average shoe. They’re comfortable and feel like a spikeless shoe, but do have spikes. If you’re looking for adding stability in your game Sqairz should definitely be on your short list. If you walk Sqairz might not be the best fit.

Final Score: ( 77 out of 100 points)

So these showed up.  Look very good.  The feel of the box js perfect. 

I’ll have some more info on some of the cool features i noticed.  
F6953DE9-D6DA-4866-92AF-663F7618367A.jpeg

9DAE2F26-93D8-44CD-9C6E-1D5F73D6351E.jpeg

6399DFA3-1F2A-4016-B368-61C672674621.jpeg

Seemingly random early question for the testers, keeping in mind that I've worn the same pair of Sqairz for the last 29 rounds... 

Do you side to side mash your foot into the shoe, possibly from a standing position? Or do you use your fingers or a shoehorn of sorts to pull back the heel and slide the foot in?

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Received some new shoes over the weekend. 

File_001.jpeg

File_0002.jpeg

File_000.jpeg

File_002.jpeg

Driver:  :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik Max 9° neutral weight setting - Shaft: Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60S, length 44.75"

Wood:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 3 wood 13° - Shaft: (Stock) Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 19°-21° - Shaft: (Stock) UST Recoil 480 ESX F4

Irons: :cobra-small: 5-PW Cobra King SZ - Shaft: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105

Wedges: :vokey-small: Titleist Vokey SM8 54°, 58° - Shaft: (Stock) Wedge Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small: Scotty Cameron X12, length 34"

:Clicgear: Rovic RV1S

14 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Those black ones look nice. I'm looking for new shoes so I'll keep tabs on these. For anyone that walks I'm interested in seeing how they feel on the first round and if there is much break in.

One thing I learned a while back from a shoe rep.  If any shoe needs "breaking in" it's the wrong shoe for you or possibly even just a bad shoe. 

A shoe should feel great right out of the box.   I began experiencing that with Ecco--I wore them as dress shoes long before the were a thing in golf.   And I judge all shoes by that now, if it doesn't feel great the moment I put it on, I move on.

It's also one of the reasons shoes are something I hardly every buy online.   As we all like to think we are unique, my feet really are, it seems they are 1/2 size different than each other 🙄  So finding a shoe that feels good on both is not always easy. 

17 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

One thing I learned a while back from a shoe rep.  If any shoe needs "breaking in" it's the wrong shoe for you or possibly even just a bad shoe. 

A shoe should feel great right out of the box.   I began experiencing that with Ecco--I wore them as dress shoes long before the were a thing in golf.   And I judge all shoes by that now, if it doesn't feel great the moment I put it on, I move on.

It's also one of the reasons shoes are something I hardly every buy online.   As we all like to think we are unique, my feet really are, it seems they are 1/2 size different than each other 🙄  So finding a shoe that feels good on both is not always easy. 

So that's why the store clerk opens the box to check that the shoes I bought are both the same size!!   🤣   

I agree somewhat that the shoe should feel good when you first put them on, but I have had shoes that felt good and made my feet feel "tired" after walking the course.  Shoes that are too tight hurt right away; shoes that are slightly too wide will feel good initially, but don't provide enough stability to walk uneven lies without tiring the feet.

I have limited choices for golf shoes in my area, so purchases happen when I travel to locations with more/bigger stores or I purchase online where exchanges/refunds are free and easy.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I will be walking with them for the test/review. 

17 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Those black ones look nice. I'm looking for new shoes so I'll keep tabs on these. For anyone that walks I'm interested in seeing how they feel on the first round and if there is much break in.

4 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

I will be walking with them for the test/review. 

Awesome I'll keep an eye on what your seeing then.

7 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

My Ecco shoes are comfy but after walking 18 I get blisters happened 2 times. No issues ever when riding just walking.

3 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Awesome I'll keep an eye on what your seeing then.

My Ecco shoes are comfy but after walking 18 I get blisters happened 2 times. No issues ever when riding just walking.

I havent found a pair of eccos in the past 5 years that I love.  10 years ago or so the Original Streets.  I was the biggest fan.  

I havent found a pair of eccos in the past 5 years that I love.  10 years ago or so the Original Streets.  I was the biggest fan.  

I stumbled across a pair of Ecco’s on super clearance at a golf store probably 15 years ago.

I got them for $19 because I needed a pair for that weekend and I swear they were the best one I’ve ever owned. Wore them until the seams finally busted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

1 hour ago, B.Boston said:

It’s already been noted here that Bob wants the best for the testers here, and it turns out he’s a pretty cool guy too.  

Figured I’d drop this in the testing thread but he saw a photo of my oldest son rocking a SQAIRZ hat and wanted to send over a few more for him and his brother.

Got quite a nice package in the mail today. The boys were pumped!

05D6E8C1-B590-4C35-9DBA-19E5F5224A62.jpeg.b7d8ea2b7ec0571044067d4f9f2ef9f6.jpeg

609664DF-1ADB-488A-8C2A-737731543640.jpeg.3899aae8b318ee4336c7f5703f4560dd.jpeg

On a testing note I’d be real interested to see how these fair on the comfort/cushioning department.  I love walking in my Adidas Tour360 XT. And the Footjoy SL Pros before that.  

Also, I’d love to hear how stable they are with the seemingly simple sole design.

How awesome is that!!  Bob in addition to being a  very genuine guy, also seems to “Get it” much like Jason at Sub70.   Has a product he is passionate about and realizes the importance of connecting with the customer.  

I wear the Pro SL reguarly, so i can give a good comparison.  I can tell you from a structure standpoint of holding them they are right there with the SL.  I did some inside swings today, course is still too damp and windy, and my foot didnt slide at all inside my shoe as it does on my Puma Sport or FJ Casual contour that i wear around the shop. 

3 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I stumbled across a pair of Ecco’s on super clearance at a golf store probably 15 years ago.

I got them for $19 because I needed a pair for that weekend and I swear they were the best one I’ve ever owned. Wore them until the seams finally busted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah thinking back it was probably more that time frame for me.  

i just didn’t want to think of how much older i am now. 🥺

20 hours ago, B.Boston said:

On a testing note I’d be real interested to see how these fair on the comfort/cushioning department.  I love walking in my Adidas Tour360 XT. And the Footjoy SL Pros before that.  

Also, I’d love to hear how stable they are with the seemingly simple sole design.

This is going to be a big thing for me in my test/ review. I have been using old running shoes for years, but since there's advancement in the comfort of golf shoes I was going to get some after Christmas. So this has come at a good time for me if the comfort for walking 18 is there.

Status update - Ordered/received the shoes in size 10 1/2 after reading the web page and discussion with Bob. Tried them on and the fit was too snug in the toes. Emailed back to Bob, and true to their word the size 11's are already on the way. 

Customer service for Sqairz is receiving high marks already.

The shoes look great, and they threw in a couple of extras for us. I'll wait and post pictures and comments with the actual test pair.

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

The shoes made the maiden voyage outside today for 9 holes. 

First impression on the ramge-Fee-Nom-A-Nol!  The comfort was great snd expected from my walking laps inside on a rainy Monday! 

But the moment i took my stance on the mat, i have NEVER felt that stable over a shot before.   It was an entirely new—in a great way—feeling.  

I probably only hit 15 balls 10 8 irons and 5 drivers   Now i didn’t have my rapsodo out to clock my swing speed   But i was seemingly making very solid contact with the 8 and getting a few more yards than normal

Same with the driver, no CHS and its hard to tell on our range where anything beyond 170 lands   

But i will say, I maintained my balance better than usual.

On course, first 2 holes i hit great drives right down the middle and again felt very stable and confident over the ball at address.  That feeling continued throughout the round.

It was cart path only due to being a bit soft from the 3 imches of rain on Monday.  Normally after 9 holes of CPO i would definitely be feeling tired.

Not only were my feet not sore, but i felt stronger than i normally would after 9 CPO holes.

Again, not having the LM I can’t quantify any speed increase.  But i can tell you I didn’t experience any fatigue at all.   

I am looking forward to getting some swings in with the LM.   

Oh one funny thing. When i took the first shoe out id the box and went to put it on my left foot, I had to look at it twice and actually turn it upside down to see which one it was, as i usually instinctively can tell quickly by the shape od the toe!   Here they both looked identical.   It was in fact the right foot shoe🥱

The customer service team at Sqairz Golf proved to be top notch. The size exchange on the shoes took just one day. I sent an email requesting the exchange and the replacements were sent via overnight shipping and arrived the next day. Their reply email included the code for the return shipping label, and one quick trip to the UPS store and the size exchange was all done. 😀

Initial reactions were all positive. The original shipment included their black Friday bonus of one pair of socks and a hat. 

sqariz2.jpg.6a5f1707f84b0c21547cae23d3d2d4e5.jpg

With the online catalog photos I wasn't sure I would like SWMBO's choice of the all gray. (She likes to make sure I look good (to her) at the golf course). Once they were on hand I really like the look. Fit-wise, they feel really good. I guess I'm used to the rounded toe style shoes squeezing in on the toes a bit, so the square toe box made them feel a bit too big initially. Although, at the 1/2 size smaller my toes were touching the end of the toe box. 

Sqairz1.jpg.b2e73d9e3a296f7e82f459e3a49a0ccf.jpg

Granted they look a lot wider than the sneaker style J&M spikeless shoes I've been wearing, and a bit wider than my Adidas boost Boa's, and while that makes them look a little clunky to me, they certainly don't feel that way. I'll do some weight comparisons soon, but the Sqairz seem lighter than what they look (I wish I could say the same for me 😜)

I wore them out to a range practice session yesterday, and I am impressed so far. Like @Golspy_CG2 said in his earlier post, these shoes give you a really stable feeling over the ball. There is really no other way to describe that element. I started with some short pitch shots, and moved on to 3/4 wedge and 8 irons before hitting full swings. I didn't notice much change on the short game shots. Moving to the longer shots though, I was surprised to find some merit to Sqairz's claim that the square toes aid alignment. But, when I put down my alignment sticks, it made me go 'hmm?'. Having the visual of the toe lines parallel to the stick actually did make it seem easier to feel my way to square with the hips/shoulders. 

On full swing irons (mostly 8s with a few 5s thrown in) I didn't see a noticeable distance gain, but my ball flight was a very consistent medium draw, and my contact seemed more consistently solid. With the 3W and driver, again, didn't notice a distance gain, but did see a more consistent ball flight with far fewer big misses and a better overall shot pattern.

I've got a lesson planned for this coming week, and a scramble event next weekend that I'll get some on-course time with. Next range session will include putting, to see if there really is something to the square toes helping alignment, and hopefully a little head to head comparison with the swing speed radar.

I like what I've seen so far. The only negative of note is there is a spot where the tongue are of the shoe rubs the front of my ankles. Not enough to blister or feel uncomfortable, just a noticeable change from other shoes. I'll play around a little with how tight I lace them down to see if that helps.

How does the "footprint" (no pun intended...) of the Sqairz compare to another golf shoe? I've read the marketing about the stability, is that accomplished just through the wider toe box or is the mid foot and heel wider also?

I'm hoping you all can test out the waterproofness. I play almost exclusively morning rounds and my Puma Ignites are no where near waterproof despite their claims. But at least they're comfortable.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I'm really liking the looks of these, especially the black pair. I'm not one for a lot of "flash" in my footwear, so these look nice without looking like "Pepe sneakers" as my kids say 🤣

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 12/3/2020 at 8:36 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

The shoes made the maiden voyage outside today for 9 holes. 

First impression on the ramge-Fee-Nom-A-Nol!  The comfort was great snd expected from my walking laps inside on a rainy Monday! 

But the moment i took my stance on the mat, i have NEVER felt that stable over a shot before.   It was an entirely new—in a great way—feeling.  

I probably only hit 15 balls 10 8 irons and 5 drivers   Now i didn’t have my rapsodo out to clock my swing speed   But i was seemingly making very solid contact with the 8 and getting a few more yards than normal

Same with the driver, no CHS and its hard to tell on our range where anything beyond 170 lands   

But i will say, I maintained my balance better than usual.

On course, first 2 holes i hit great drives right down the middle and again felt very stable and confident over the ball at address.  That feeling continued throughout the round.

It was cart path only due to being a bit soft from the 3 imches of rain on Monday.  Normally after 9 holes of CPO i would definitely be feeling tired.

Not only were my feet not sore, but i felt stronger than i normally would after 9 CPO holes.

Again, not having the LM I can’t quantify any speed increase.  But i can tell you I didn’t experience any fatigue at all.   

I am looking forward to getting some swings in with the LM.   

Oh one funny thing. When i took the first shoe out id the box and went to put it on my left foot, I had to look at it twice and actually turn it upside down to see which one it was, as i usually instinctively can tell quickly by the shape od the toe!   Here they both looked identical.   It was in fact the right foot shoe🥱

I never thought of it, but that's hilarious to get them mixed up (absolutely something I would do).   How do these stack up against your FJ Pro SL?  Comfort level, are these more firm or soft/squishy feeling underfoot?  How does the stability stack up: lateral, forefoot, heel cup, etc.?     I normally don't look at square-toe dress shoes because they are very diving flipper like on my feet.  Are these dimension-ally similar to your FJs on the outside?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

17 hours ago, GregB135 said:

The customer service team at Sqairz Golf proved to be top notch. The size exchange on the shoes took just one day. I sent an email requesting the exchange and the replacements were sent via overnight shipping and arrived the next day. Their reply email included the code for the return shipping label, and one quick trip to the UPS store and the size exchange was all done. 😀

Initial reactions were all positive. The original shipment included their black Friday bonus of one pair of socks and a hat. 

sqariz2.jpg.6a5f1707f84b0c21547cae23d3d2d4e5.jpg

With the online catalog photos I wasn't sure I would like SWMBO's choice of the all gray. (She likes to make sure I look good (to her) at the golf course). Once they were on hand I really like the look. Fit-wise, they feel really good. I guess I'm used to the rounded toe style shoes squeezing in on the toes a bit, so the square toe box made them feel a bit too big initially. Although, at the 1/2 size smaller my toes were touching the end of the toe box. 

Sqairz1.jpg.b2e73d9e3a296f7e82f459e3a49a0ccf.jpg

Granted they look a lot wider than the sneaker style J&M spikeless shoes I've been wearing, and a bit wider than my Adidas boost Boa's, and while that makes them look a little clunky to me, they certainly don't feel that way. I'll do some weight comparisons soon, but the Sqairz seem lighter than what they look (I wish I could say the same for me 😜)

I wore them out to a range practice session yesterday, and I am impressed so far. Like @Golspy_CG2 said in his earlier post, these shoes give you a really stable feeling over the ball. There is really no other way to describe that element. I started with some short pitch shots, and moved on to 3/4 wedge and 8 irons before hitting full swings. I didn't notice much change on the short game shots. Moving to the longer shots though, I was surprised to find some merit to Sqairz's claim that the square toes aid alignment. But, when I put down my alignment sticks, it made me go 'hmm?'. Having the visual of the toe lines parallel to the stick actually did make it seem easier to feel my way to square with the hips/shoulders. 

On full swing irons (mostly 8s with a few 5s thrown in) I didn't see a noticeable distance gain, but my ball flight was a very consistent medium draw, and my contact seemed more consistently solid. With the 3W and driver, again, didn't notice a distance gain, but did see a more consistent ball flight with far fewer big misses and a better overall shot pattern.

I've got a lesson planned for this coming week, and a scramble event next weekend that I'll get some on-course time with. Next range session will include putting, to see if there really is something to the square toes helping alignment, and hopefully a little head to head comparison with the swing speed radar.

I like what I've seen so far. The only negative of note is there is a spot where the tongue are of the shoe rubs the front of my ankles. Not enough to blister or feel uncomfortable, just a noticeable change from other shoes. I'll play around a little with how tight I lace them down to see if that helps.

I won a pair of the Puma caged golf shoes that exhibited this same buckling.  I tried adjusting the laces a few times but it did not help. It was severe enough that it rubbed, My normal shoe width is medium and my current Walter Haggen shoes do not exhibit this. Are any of the other testers seeing this?  

image.png.5425b4588404bd9316519464e3937bed.png

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

24 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I won a pair of the Puma caged golf shoes that exhibited this same buckling.  I tried adjusting the laces a few times but it did not help. It was severe enough that it rubbed, My normal shoe width is medium and my current Walter Haggen shoes do not exhibit this. Are any of the other testers seeing this?  

image.png.5425b4588404bd9316519464e3937bed.png

I will say, I have a relatively narrow foot for a medium width. The 'buckling' as you call it at the bottom of the laces happened when I cinched the laces down to feel snug against my mid-foot and fore-foot areas. I see that with a lot of my golf shoes, but medium width is as narrow as I can ever go. The FJ Freestyles (see upcoming post) in my comparison group have the snuggest fit through the mid-foot for me and need less lace cinching to feel a good fit.