Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2020 Official Member Review: SQAIRZ Golf Shoes

Golfspy_CG2

I'll be wearing the Sqairz during my lesson this afternoon.

Comfort will be on the testing block on Saturday as I'm planning to play in a 36 hole league off-season event. We'll see if the extra weight of the Sqairz takes a toll.

Forecast is 40% chance of rain, so waterproof-ness (word?) can be assessed as well.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

I like the Sqairz...and not at the same time. Negative first: when I walk the course with them I WILL get blisters on my heels, no way around it unless I taped up my heels with an athletic trainer. Positive: asides from them not agreeing with my heels they are comfortable (played using a cart and all went well). Also when I wear them I hit my driver well, like to the point that I am considering hitting tee shots, and change after. I can tell a difference in the stability and balance when I am wearing them and when I’m not. It’s going to be fun writing the review!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Played my first walking round with the Sqairz today. 18 holes with score card yardage just over 6,200 yards. Completed the round in 2 h 29m using a push cart.

The shoes were comfortable and walked really well. I'm really liking the idea of the sta put laces. Usually I'll need to adjust laces mid-round at least once. I've yet to even consider re-tying these on the course. Also, they really do give a really stable, balanced feel at address. It seems like I recognize easier when I'm slightly off balance before a swing.

Granted, I did play 36 holes just two days ago, and I'm 50, and I don't walk as often as I used to... but..., by the time I got to 15th/16th hole, my legs were starting to feel tired. It's possible all those other elements, combined with the extra weight of the shoes all added up to extra fatigue. A couple of ounces might not seem like a lot of extra weight, but that's a couple of extra ounces times 7000+ steps by the time you finish walking a 6200 yard loop. Either way, while my legs were tired, my feet didn't hurt and I didn't have any issues with blisters.

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Excellent testing and reviews thus far testers 👍.  Per Sir Nick, "squarer, straighter, and longer..."  we shall see. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I had a busier work week this past week, so only got the chance to work on the range. Since beginning the test, I haven't worn any of my other four pairs of shoes (problem?) for either play or practice.

Spent about 5 hours total on the range this week and truly nothing to complain about with regard to the shoes. The stability to me was a bit more noticeable in short game work. I saw a bit more consistency in ball flight and line when practicing pitch/chip shots. 

Full swing wise, it's hard for me to self-assess any significant change for the better. I've worn the shoes for all my lessons, practice, and play. Scoring has been about the same, though I have noticed a trend toward thin shots on some 1/2 or 3/4 swings with wedges and approach shots.  

I plan on working up my final review this weekend. It's been a lot of fun putting these through their paces. 

On 12/13/2020 at 10:45 PM, 2puttbogey said:

So I used them for walking my round today. Well only 3 holes. I started getting blisters on my heels by the second hole, and had one of my playing partners with a cart take me to my car to change shoes . They would have been comfortable enough, and the weight was not bothering me, but blisters are a big problem.

I walk normally two out of my three rounds per week so any news on the walking aspect will be of interest. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

On 1/5/2021 at 7:39 PM, GregB135 said:

Played my first walking round with the Sqairz today. 18 holes with score card yardage just over 6,200 yards. Completed the round in 2 h 29m using a push cart.

The shoes were comfortable and walked really well. I'm really liking the idea of the sta put laces. Usually I'll need to adjust laces mid-round at least once. I've yet to even consider re-tying these on the course. Also, they really do give a really stable, balanced feel at address. It seems like I recognize easier when I'm slightly off balance before a swing.

Granted, I did play 36 holes just two days ago, and I'm 50, and I don't walk as often as I used to... but..., by the time I got to 15th/16th hole, my legs were starting to feel tired. It's possible all those other elements, combined with the extra weight of the shoes all added up to extra fatigue. A couple of ounces might not seem like a lot of extra weight, but that's a couple of extra ounces times 7000+ steps by the time you finish walking a 6200 yard loop. Either way, while my legs were tired, my feet didn't hurt and I didn't have any issues with blisters.

Hmmmmm heavier IMO will add a little extra fatigue when walking. I look for light shoes as I'm walking most of my rounds.  At 70 years old the lighter the better so thanks for the update. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

13 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

My review is live I hopefully there's some useful information for all my internet friends

Nice job!

I've seen (read) enough so to speak, to draw 3 conclusions. 

1.  The claim of additional swing speed would only apply if you were someone wearing ill fitted or spikeless shoes. 

2.  I need to try shoes with spikes - I think that there was a MGS test a few years back that showed they could net some additional yardage.  

3.  My strategy of buying close out shoes online will continue - I know that I'm a 10.5 D in products made by other companies - with one exception - so there's no reason not to go that route and buy myself some new wedges - I'm off to press that button as they are in the cart.

Thanks for a great test guys and good luck to Sqairz - I'm sure its a quality product made by good people.  I wish you all the success in the world.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

3 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Nicely done. I'm interested in if you wear them more when riding if that helps thg them break in and make them more comfortable. 

Thank you. I am hoping that it's just a break in period as well. I sleep updating as to how it's going.

Just posted my review of the Sqairz shoes. I'm looking forward to getting in a few more rounds with them to see if the features have an affect on lowering my scoring average. Hope you all enjoy!

Finally posted my review of the shoes.  Apologize for the delay.  I'm sorry about the extra set of pictures at the end of the review, I can't figure out how to make them go away.    Short version is that they are the most stable golf shoes that I've worn and the comfort is great.  Really like the extra space in the toe area.  Anyways, I'm open for questions.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

I haven’t used the Sqairz recently since I have been walking, and they don’t agree with me when I walk. I just ordered some New Balance fresh foams though so I will be able to do a better comparison. I expect the Sqairz to be more stable, but we will see.

9 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

I haven’t used the Sqairz recently since I have been walking, and they don’t agree with me when I walk. I just ordered some New Balance fresh foams though so I will be able to do a better comparison. I expect the Sqairz to be more stable, but we will see.

Hmm. Are you going to be comparing similarly built shoes? Are the NB a full leather, or leather-like construction designed for support, or are they a shoe built with nylon, etc for more comfort? 
One thing to note here is that FJ marketed for awhile finding the right shoe for each golfer and their swing. They had the comfy Freestyle that had very little support, all the way up to the Icon that were classically made to give ultimate support around the foot. Curious to see if the NB are built for support, and all leather. The sole alone may be the difference that makes it a tough comparison as Fresh Foam is strictly for cushioning and not built sturdily for support.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

4 hours ago, PMookie said:

Hmm. Are you going to be comparing similarly built shoes? Are the NB a full leather, or leather-like construction designed for support, or are they a shoe built with nylon, etc for more comfort? 
One thing to note here is that FJ marketed for awhile finding the right shoe for each golfer and their swing. They had the comfy Freestyle that had very little support, all the way up to the Icon that were classically made to give ultimate support around the foot. Curious to see if the NB are built for support, and all leather. The sole alone may be the difference that makes it a tough comparison as Fresh Foam is strictly for cushioning and not built sturdily for support.

The New Balance are not leather and are more of a running shoe with a golf bottom. I'm not expecting the to get the stability that the Sqairz gave me, because that was where they performed the best, but hopefully more than the running shoes I currently use when I walk. Comfort is my main priority. This will also give me more of an idea of how the Sqairz perform compared to golf shoes that I wasn't able to do in the review. 

I have worn the New Balance for a round and a range session. Definitely more comfortable for walking than the Sqairz and have more stability than the running shoes I have been using for years. The Sqairz continue to be the most stable shoe I have used for golf.

• 4 weeks later...

League season will be cranking up again at the end of the month. I've been out on the course for a couple of scrambles and a lot of range time wearing the Sqairz. They will be my go-to gamer heading into this summer season.

Things I've noticed since posting my review. 

1. They still feel heavy to me, even though that comes with the feeling of stability over and through the ball.

2. The Sta-put laces that we all love are perishable. Even early on, when lacing the shoes tightly I noticed a few of the nubs got rubbed off when cinching the laces down through the eyelets. They finally had the gray laces back in stock, so I was able to order two replacement sets.

3. The spikes are fairly durable. I'm one who wears my golf shoes to walk in from the parking lot. I'm also not shy about walking on pavement when wearing my golf shoes. Even with lots of trips from/to the car and regular on course use, the spikes are just starting to show some wear. That's one/two uses per week over 4 full months with the shoes. I'd expect to get a full season of regular use out of a set of spikes. The spikes-for-life program Sqairz offers is fantastic. Just pay shipping and they're no cost. Yup, ordered two sets.

I've played well over 20 rounds in mine and haven't noticed the problem with the laces at all.  In fact, I wore a different brand of shoes the other day and realized how much I was retying them during the round.  Sqairz has spoiled me completely.  On the spikes, I'm really hard on them and have changed mine recently.  I only wore out a couple in the heal area on one foot, not sure what's going on but it happens with other brands also.  The price for replacement Sqairz spikes is awesome so I've got no worries on just replacing the whole set of spikes when those few wear down.  I'm really sold on these shoes.  I'm planning on going strictly Sqairz shoes for the foreseeable future, they are that good.   

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

• 2 weeks later...

The major claim by Sqairz is that wearing the shoes will lead to gains in distance, even Faldo’s commercial has him saying he gained over 5 yards. In reading the reviews, I didn’t see anyone agree with these claims, so, I’m assuming that what Sqairz is saying may not be measurable by the “average joe”, or just isn’t true... 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

The major claim by Sqairz is that wearing the shoes will lead to gains in distance, even Faldo’s commercial has him saying he gained over 5 yards. In reading the reviews, I didn’t see anyone agree with these claims, so, I’m assuming that what Sqairz is saying may not be measurable by the “average joe”, or just isn’t true... 

This is the conclusion I came to in testing. The commercial has an average handicap golfer that (according to the commercial anyway) gained distance, and lowered handicap. There was no distance gain or handicap drop for me. I concluded, as you have, that like the claims drivers are making for adding speed and distance, that high speed players are the ones that would see the benefits.

Believe Footjoy has some similar type of claims about how the correct fitting golf shoe, etc will improve distance.  As I've mentioned above, my game has improved and I feel like I'm hitting the ball more squarely thus better.  Not sure how to definitely say it's the shoes but I'm wearing Sqairz exclusively.  Just so very comfortable and stable.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

Just for grins I wore my Adiboost BOAs to the range yesterday. First thought as I cinched them up was ‘these aren’t as comfortable as I remember’. I’ve been wearing nothing but the Sqairz since the test.
I can’t say I’m a big fan of the $200 price point so I went and tried on the new FJ Traditions. Feel was very stable but the narrowing toe now feels a bit like it’s pinching.

• 1 month later...

Recently I’ve been able to wear the Sqairz again. They are what they are. I see the same results as I did while doing the official testing. Me stability and balance. There is definitely a break in period with these shoes. I no longer have blisters on my left heel, but I will get them on the right still (although I think that’s just how I’m made rather than the shoes).

I didn't notice any break-in period at all for me.  I'm still wearing them almost exclusively and have had no issues at all.  I did notice when I wore a different shoe that I could tell the difference and was wishing I'd had the Sqairz on during the round.  Especially when I had to retie the laces during the round.  Guess I'm spoiled now.  Thank you Sqairz.  Great products and service.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

• 2 weeks later...

Just another update.  These shoes are the real deal.  I'm using them exclusively now and have purchased additional pairs.  The fit and comfort are outstanding and add the additional stability, these shoes are outstanding!  I don't spend a lot on shoes but these are worth the price and considering the free spikes for life, it's a winning deal.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

• 4 weeks later...

Update. I've replaced the laces with a new pair from Sqairs, and I have two sets of replacement spikes at the ready. I haven't purchased a second pair (yet) but I'm excited to see new shoe models and colorways coming out. I like the look of their new Speed shoe, and kinda wishing the Open Championship special edition (blue on white saddle) was available in that model as well as the Arrow. I'm also wearing these pretty much exclusively so seriously considering a second pair.

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to invest in the Squairz shoes, and have played a few rounds, and several practice sessions in them.  I'm not able to notice an increase in my distance (per the claims in the advertising) but I can say that out of the box, these were and continue to be the most comfortable golf shoes I've ever worn (including top end FootJoys).  I am very happy with them so far.  Maybe the distance will come as I continue to wear them.  I will definitely add another pair to my rotation soon.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1