2020 Official Member Review: SQAIRZ Golf Shoes

Question why is a shoe company supposedly known (hype)for wide sizes do not have any EE, EEE oe EEEE of for that matter any width sizes available? They say they might in the future when I contacted them also how do you buy them if you can't try them in a golf store first? Very risky as they charge you for returns.
Seems like a great shoe but it needs wide widths and better distribution network.

I’d imagine it’s very costly to carry so many widths for a smaller golf shoe company. The further you stray from average sizes the more difficult it becomes to move the inventory.

What size shoe are you?

A buddy of mine from college has big feet and he told me basically to buy him any shoe I find in 14 wide and he would pay me back because he had a hard time finding his size.

EDIT: also, I think the “wide” talk is about the platform and base of the show more than the actual sizes of shoe. But I’ll have to let the testers answer to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :Snell: MTB-X | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's one thing the Forum members at large should hear about as the test is getting started. Typically, and here as well, testers work through the administrators to communicate to the equipment

Played 36 holes on Saturday wearing the Sqairz basically all day on the course and between rounds. The shoes stayed comfortable and stable all day long. I could tell I had been active and on my f

It’s already been noted here that Bob wants the best for the testers here, and it turns out he’s a pretty cool guy too.   Figured I’d drop this in the testing thread but he saw a photo of my olde

Posted Images

Used the Sqairz at the range again today. I like the stability, and the traction. The comfort, now that I’m in the correct size and blisters ante no longer a problem, is better than expected. I am going to try and walk 18 tomorrow with them again so I should have more then.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6
On 12/19/2020 at 7:59 PM, 2puttbogey said:

Used the Sqairz at the range again today. I like the stability, and the traction. The comfort, now that I’m in the correct size and blisters ante no longer a problem, is better than expected. I am going to try and walk 18 tomorrow with them again so I should have more then.

Still interested in how it goes for you. Sounded like my normal experience with a new pair of shoes I always get blisters 

Still interested in how it goes for you. Sounded like my normal experience with a new pair of shoes I always get blisters 

So round two gave me some better results, but I did get blisters again. I did play all 18with them though. It seems to be worse on my right foot. I knew about 7 holes in that the blisters were there, but I wanted get a full round in with them to be able to have enough information about them. Aside from the fact that my feet don’t seem to be agreeing with them, I like them. I felt really stable, and the traction was great. I feel that if I was in a cart compared to walking there probably would not have been the blisters. It’s not uncommon for the blisters for me. I have been using running shoes for years because this has happened in the past with golf shoes. I have found things that I like about the Sqairz that I will have in my full review.

• Like 1
On 12/19/2020 at 4:37 PM, B.Boston said:

I’d imagine it’s very costly to carry so many widths for a smaller golf shoe company. The further you stray from average sizes the more difficult it becomes to move the inventory.

What size shoe are you?

A buddy of mine from college has big feet and he told me basically to buy him any shoe I find in 14 wide and he would pay me back because he had a hard time finding his size.

EDIT: also, I think the “wide” talk is about the platform and base of the show more than the actual sizes of shoe. But I’ll have to let the testers answer to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes good points that I understand and agree with, but the reputation / hype (your point is probably correct but not what many take it as, maybe they mean toe-box only but that is not the impression most would get from all the information on their website and Facebook site) is all about wide feet so naturally you would think it would be for wide sizes EE to EEE. Same here harder for me to find shoes in my correct size.

7.5 EEE UK or 8.5 EEE US. Why are equal American shoe sizes made to look one size larger than others in Canada, Britain, all Commonwealth countries? Trying to make US men feet etc. look bigger, exaggeration? Wonder if it is teh same or opposite for women? The sizing came first from Britain.

Funny though US did the opposite for liquid measurements eg. US gallon is 1 quart or 1 litre less than Cdn / GB gallon, makes US vehicles look worse on MPG in US. Again the gallon size came from Britain first. Maybe due to Capitalism, trying to make more money by shorting the product.

Thought this shoe would be for me.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

Used the Sqairz at the range again today. Even though I have had my issues with them there is still a lot to I like about them. I started with my regular shoes, and then changed to the Sqairz. As I have noted before the stability is great, and I feel more connected to the ground. I stay more in balance, and my feet don’t slide. This has led to more consistent shots (straighter), especially with the driver. My regular shoes are old running shoes so would I get the same results from other shoes? Maybe.

• Like 2

Another range session comparing swing speeds.

Again with the 7-iron but this time on mats.

1832910793_Sqairsspeedtrial2.png.48ce51e52106295be4a010a609247963.png

Sqairz again did not provide the highest average swing speed, but did tie for highest single swing speed.

Addidas AdiBoost are proving to be a steady performer in both average speed and speed consistency. Repeated with highest average in this trial.

FootJoy Freestyle are, likewise, staying pretty close to previous results.

Those three seem to all be collectively about the same across the results. Johnston&Murphy are relatively new to the golf shoe business. I will say this, they are playing to their strengths. The XC-4 is extremely comfortable, but is the only one of the four trial shoes that has maintained its performance position regarding swing speed. Unfortunately for J&M, that position is last.

Interesting to me in this trial was it was actually a few of the slower swings that produced the overall best shots. Granted, using range balls is not the best for distance comparisons, but I could see with just the naked eye that a 71 mph swing produced a longer shot than a 76 mph swing. This lends proof to the idea that swing speed is only one element that determines the result of the shot. Swing path, face angle, and strike quality, timing, rhythm and the rest can make just as much difference. Until the golfer's swing consistency minimizes the variance in those elements, the small difference in swing speed will be negligible.

All that said, swing speed consistency is what it takes to maintain predictability on club yardages. That is where I believe, for players at my level, the idea of added stability with the Sqairz will make a difference. I may not be swinging faster, but with added stability, the shot radius will likely shrink. 

Next time out I'll try the same test with driver. Swing speeds will of course be higher, but one or two mph makes a bigger difference as the speeds go up. I'm interested to see what we'll get.

• Like 5

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  Stroke Lab Rossie

@GregB I often find that my longest shots are not produced by my fastest SS. From the Rapsodo I’m seeing that launch angle plays a large role throughout the bag.

As for the shoes have you tried driver yet? Perhaps I missed that as I’ve been understandably busy.

I have a boatload of gift cards. I’m sure I will be getting another pair is shoes. Depending on this test it will be a pair of these or sketchers.

I’m also thinking and Edison wedge - of course that makes the sketchers a more appealing. I will need a compelling reason to drop $175 on shoes when I can find a good pair on clearance for under $75.

Thanks

• Like 2

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

17 minutes ago, revkev said:

As for the shoes have you tried driver yet? Perhaps I missed that as I’ve been understandably busy.

Haven't tried driver yet. That will be my next time out on the range. I've seen a HUGE benefit in putting. Having the visual of the square to to combine with the putter's alignment aid has added a huge level of confidence on putts.

On the practice green yesterday I did 6 rounds of the ladder drill (3/6/9 feet). Made 75% from 6 feet and 50% from 9. That's a significant jump for me at 9 feet. If I can extend my confident make range out to there, it will be hard for me to not make these a permanent choice.

• Like 2

Braved the chilly early temps on the range (46*) to get to the range for some more swing speed testing. This time with the driver! Conducted this test on turf, so it is possible turf wear could account for some variance. You can see in the photos the turf condition today was mediocre at best.

446187437_drivertrial1.png.06443f7964ec4767e680642efea16db4.png

This trial's top performer was the FJ Freestyle: Not just the highest average, but the most consistent swing speed with a spread of only 3mph between fastest and slowest swings. (I'll admit, I got into a bit of a groove in that round).

FJdriver.jpg.6729824859b6ea02b5328819dc30bdc5.jpg

The AdiBoost Boa was second by a narrow margin, thanks to notching the fastest swing of the session at 101 mph. The mean speed was only 1/2 mph different then the Sqairz in third place.

Adidriver.jpg.3af53b72d898afb9c630920e0b02b746.jpg

Sqairz was third for average swing speed. Also tied with J&M for consistency with a spread of 5 mph. Keep in mind that only refers to swing speed consistency. (More on that in a minute)

989076135_sqzdriver.jpg.71b52d8050efe6727bd0967840b4bf2d.jpg

Yet again, the J&M shoes resulted in the slowest average swing speed. This is a real shame because those shoes are REALLY comfy. Also interesting these are the only 'spike-less' model in my trials. 

1624964601_JMdriver.jpg.c690a4a3138cda38d1e41de593b1fb2d.jpg

This was the first trial with driver. Even though I plan to do at least one more driver trial, there is a trend developing. The Johnston and Murphy shoes are consistently producing the slowest average, while the other three shoes take turns finishing first, but seem to all be performing about the same. That could be because J&M is a new entry into the golf shoe market, and just hasn't cracked the code on comfort AND performance. It could also be the spikeless sole is not a good match with my swing mechanics. That the three spiked models are performing about the same lends to the latter.

I'm developing a new hypothesis regarding Sqairz claim that their shoes WILL boost club head speed. I'll suggest it's possible they MIGHT boost club head speed. Even accounting for ONLY club head speed in my trials, the results are inconsistent as to which shoe produces the highest average swing speed. In all of the iron trials, and in this driver trial as well, some of the best/longest shots occurred on swings slower than the fastest swing speeds. That tells us there can be a lot more to producing a good, long drive than creating more swing speed.

I'll still stick with 'Plausible' on Sqairz claim though. If you're a player who has really consistent club path and face angle control, and as a result, see very little variance in your ball flight, then a difference of 2 mph in swing speed is likely to produce longer drives. At my swing speed though, that 2mph is only a difference of 5-6 yards (somebody verify my estimate there). You'd have to get to speeds of 110+ for that added distance to be 10 yards or more for those same 2 mph.  

• Like 6

Since I have limited experience with golf shoes I tried on some in the pro shop yesterday, and I have more understanding of the comfort the Sqairz. I read a lot of online reviews before I tried on some footjoys. There ware many reviews talking about the comfort of the fury, and flex, so w tried them on. They were not as comfortable as I was led to believe from the reviews, and the guy in the pro shop. For me the Sqairz are a more comfortable shoe, but my tender heels get blisters from them (perhaps still a size issue although I have tried 2 different sizes). It may also be I just don’t get along with the material used in the heel area. Regardless I discovered that the Sqairz are quite comfortable when compared to other golf shoes.

• Like 4

I'll be wearing the Sqairz during my lesson this afternoon.

Comfort will be on the testing block on Saturday as I'm planning to play in a 36 hole league off-season event. We'll see if the extra weight of the Sqairz takes a toll.

Forecast is 40% chance of rain, so waterproof-ness (word?) can be assessed as well.

• Like 3

I like the Sqairz...and not at the same time. Negative first: when I walk the course with them I WILL get blisters on my heels, no way around it unless I taped up my heels with an athletic trainer. Positive: asides from them not agreeing with my heels they are comfortable (played using a cart and all went well). Also when I wear them I hit my driver well, like to the point that I am considering hitting tee shots, and change after. I can tell a difference in the stability and balance when I am wearing them and when I’m not. It’s going to be fun writing the review!!

• Like 6

Played my first walking round with the Sqairz today. 18 holes with score card yardage just over 6,200 yards. Completed the round in 2 h 29m using a push cart.

The shoes were comfortable and walked really well. I'm really liking the idea of the sta put laces. Usually I'll need to adjust laces mid-round at least once. I've yet to even consider re-tying these on the course. Also, they really do give a really stable, balanced feel at address. It seems like I recognize easier when I'm slightly off balance before a swing.

Granted, I did play 36 holes just two days ago, and I'm 50, and I don't walk as often as I used to... but..., by the time I got to 15th/16th hole, my legs were starting to feel tired. It's possible all those other elements, combined with the extra weight of the shoes all added up to extra fatigue. A couple of ounces might not seem like a lot of extra weight, but that's a couple of extra ounces times 7000+ steps by the time you finish walking a 6200 yard loop. Either way, while my legs were tired, my feet didn't hurt and I didn't have any issues with blisters.

• Like 8

Excellent testing and reviews thus far testers 👍.  Per Sir Nick, "squarer, straighter, and longer..."  we shall see. 

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I had a busier work week this past week, so only got the chance to work on the range. Since beginning the test, I haven't worn any of my other four pairs of shoes (problem?) for either play or practice.

Spent about 5 hours total on the range this week and truly nothing to complain about with regard to the shoes. The stability to me was a bit more noticeable in short game work. I saw a bit more consistency in ball flight and line when practicing pitch/chip shots. 

Full swing wise, it's hard for me to self-assess any significant change for the better. I've worn the shoes for all my lessons, practice, and play. Scoring has been about the same, though I have noticed a trend toward thin shots on some 1/2 or 3/4 swings with wedges and approach shots.  

I plan on working up my final review this weekend. It's been a lot of fun putting these through their paces. 

• Like 3

On 12/13/2020 at 10:45 PM, 2puttbogey said:

So I used them for walking my round today. Well only 3 holes. I started getting blisters on my heels by the second hole, and had one of my playing partners with a cart take me to my car to change shoes . They would have been comfortable enough, and the weight was not bothering me, but blisters are a big problem.

I walk normally two out of my three rounds per week so any news on the walking aspect will be of interest. 

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Ping
 2021 Fetch Putter with SuperStoke 3.0 Grip

2021 Official Reviewer: MotoCaddy M7

On 1/5/2021 at 7:39 PM, GregB135 said:

Played my first walking round with the Sqairz today. 18 holes with score card yardage just over 6,200 yards. Completed the round in 2 h 29m using a push cart.

The shoes were comfortable and walked really well. I'm really liking the idea of the sta put laces. Usually I'll need to adjust laces mid-round at least once. I've yet to even consider re-tying these on the course. Also, they really do give a really stable, balanced feel at address. It seems like I recognize easier when I'm slightly off balance before a swing.

Granted, I did play 36 holes just two days ago, and I'm 50, and I don't walk as often as I used to... but..., by the time I got to 15th/16th hole, my legs were starting to feel tired. It's possible all those other elements, combined with the extra weight of the shoes all added up to extra fatigue. A couple of ounces might not seem like a lot of extra weight, but that's a couple of extra ounces times 7000+ steps by the time you finish walking a 6200 yard loop. Either way, while my legs were tired, my feet didn't hurt and I didn't have any issues with blisters.

Hmmmmm heavier IMO will add a little extra fatigue when walking. I look for light shoes as I'm walking most of my rounds.  At 70 years old the lighter the better so thanks for the update. 

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 7 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Ping
 2021 Fetch Putter with SuperStoke 3.0 Grip

2021 Official Reviewer: MotoCaddy M7