Which cheater is worse?

Cheaters  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What's worse?

• The guy who cheats to win an important event
    • The guy who cheats to win a meaningless event

So let's stipulate at the outset: all cheating is bad and all cheaters are awful. There's no good cheater.

But here's the question: is it worse to cheat to win something important or to cheat to win something meaningless? A guy who cheats to win a club championship (or a PGA Tour event) or a guy who cheats to win a big money game: they're cheating with something substantial that they want to gain.

The guys who cheat in a charity scramble or in a casual weekend game with nothing on the line are cheating to gain virtually nothing.

Which is worse? Why?

• Like 5

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:adams-small: XTD Proto dHy 21°, Aldila Green NV Hybrid 105 S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures

Agree with the disclaimer, both are the worst, and should be publicly humiliated. 

But forced to pick one.  I would probably go with the cheat to win something meaningless.  Especially if that is a charity prize.  No charity is meaningless, but if the prize is somewhat insignificant in order to keep most proceeds going to the cause, then that's pretty low in my book.   I mean you obviously are there for the wrong reason.  You're not supporting the cause, you're trying to lie, cheat and steal in the face of the charity. 

• Like 4

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I view this a bit differently, based on your two options.

1) Cheating on a big event is cheating others

2) Cheating on a casual game is cheating yourself (perhaps by inflating your own ego or sense of self-worth - "I shot an 80 today!" when you really shot an 87...just seems kinda sad)

Tough call to see which is worse, but I think cheating others has larger ramifications than cheating oneself. My first thought was actually of a book by Rick Reilly and some of the stories told within on this topic...

Edited by Tarheelvolvo
typo
  • Like 5

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Evenflow Black 65 6.0

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:wilson_staff_small:  D7 4-GW, KBS 105

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

1 minute ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

2) Cheating on a casual game is cheating yourself (perhaps y inflating your own ego or sense of selfworth - "I shot an 80 today!" when you really shot an 87)

Tough call to see which is worse, but I think cheating others has larger ramifications than cheating oneself. My first thought was actually of a book by Rick Reilly and some of the stories told within on this topic...

I remember that book, mostly I remember some of the outrageous gambling amounts.  I can only vaguely recall some of the types of cheating that went on.  I think that's where i first heard about Vaseline on the clubface 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I'd vote for both if I could because cheaters suck.  The reality is that most cheaters always cheat regardless of the stakes. Anyone in a country club will tell you the guys that cheat in the meaningless events lead to an advantage in the important events. IE sandbaggers. Don't make a putt unless you have to is the saying at my club. 

• Like 7

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

echo others here.

cheating on a big event could possibly be chalked up to a mistake in judgement but cheating on things meaningless shows your true character.

wouldn't want to be a part of or associated with either. have had it happen at a couple tournaments. some guys come in with a 54 net score and they look like they maybe pick up a club once a year.

• Like 5

G410 LST | SpeedZone Big Tour | TM Sim Max 5 | Titleist 818 H2 | Z785 | ZipCore | Exotics DG-1.3

I'm with @Wedgie, I hate all cheaters and think they're bad for the game. However, being forced to chose between the two, I'll vote for the 'meaningless' one because it tells me the individual has a significant character flaw and doesn't think there's a problem cheating for even the slightest event.  

• Like 5

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Are they separate?  I don't think so.  The player (I won't use "guy" because I know women that cheat) that cheats to win a big prize probably started out cheating at meaningless events.  The player who cheats at meaningless events will probably cheat at bigger events given the chance.

• Like 6

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

So let's stipulate at the outset: all cheating is bad and all cheaters are awful. There's no good cheater.

But here's the question: is it worse to cheat to win something important or to cheat to win something meaningless? A guy who cheats to win a club championship (or a PGA Tour event) or a guy who cheats to win a big money game: they're cheating with something substantial that they want to gain.

The guys who cheat in a charity scramble or in a casual weekend game with nothing on the line are cheating to gain virtually nothing.

Which is worse? Why?

Id say probably the person who cheats in a scramble or casual game because they are cheating and gaining nothing in return.  I understand cheating when something big is on the line but cheating when youre playing with your buddies?  Stupid.

• Like 4

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Irons: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* and Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 Blue Ion 54*

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

The dopes who fix their scores to win shop credit are terrible but I have no respect for those clowns who doctor their caps in order to win their flight at the member guest invitationals. 

These people have no integrity. 

• Like 5
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Cheat cheat never beat. But if I had to choose the cheater to win an event. The other guy hurts no one but himself or herself

• Like 3

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

WITB:

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 SM8 - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125 S :odyssey-small: O-Works 1W I :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

18 hours ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

2) Cheating on a casual game is cheating yourself (perhaps by inflating your own ego or sense of self-worth - "I shot an 80 today!" when you really shot an 87...just seems kinda sad)

Tough call to see which is worse, but I think cheating others has larger ramifications than cheating oneself.

That’s how I see it too, so I voted for option 1. I know a few guys in league who cheat in ways that doesn’t improve their score, what’s the point? Just sad.

Recent example. I played league with a guy who was a decent player. On every green, he’d toss (not place) his mark 2-3 inches ahead of where his ball landed whether it was 2’ or 90’ out. And of course when he replaced his ball, he’d put it just ahead of the mark, on EVERY hole. The weekly ante is $5. I’m sure it didn’t affect his putting/score at all - why cheat for all to see to no benefit?

• Like 3
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

I feel that cheating shows poor character. But I fell stronger against someone who cheated in a big event. In big events there are bigger things on the line. In a PGA event we were talking about a million dollars or a title that may have been someone else's last needed win for a Grand Slam. Your club championship is at a lower level but not for the golfer that actually won. It could have been his year in the spotlight. To lose this to a cheater isn't excusable.

In a casual match, unfortunately you see it all the time. The foot wedge, rolling the ball over in the fairway, the give myself a gimme guy, I'm taking a mulligan someone talked in my backswing. I play in a lot of charity events and i see cheaters quite often. Taking mulligans they didn't pay for, not counting strokes. I even caught a guy calling a team out on the course and giving them the low score posted. Sure enough 5 minutes later they roll in with one stroke less. Needless to say it got ugly and it was for charity. These guys were not capable of shooting a 52.  The team that shot 53 were all just short of pros and play in all the big tournaments. When you see them you already know you are playing for second place. They called the cheaters out and wanted to go play a couple of holes to settle the issue. But you know they refused. But cheating is cheating. Did you really have to win that way? It was for charity. 

• Like 2

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

They definitely both suck...

A quick google search of Patrick Reed meme’s will show the disdain people have developed for him...

And for the meaningless cheater I know a guy in a league I play in that *always* finds his ball in the woods and *always* makes sure its his ball in the rough and ends up with a nice fluffy lie... All I can do about him is make him putt everything out. Which usually adds a few to his score since he loves the “good, good?” From 5+ feet too when they’re out of the hole to keep their average low.

I get the idea of pace of play, but if you’re counting a 5+ footer as good, I better see you roll some in, or count it as two which is the likely score from that spot.

Oh and I should mention that the prize from winning everything in that league is about $25 per person... so yeah...

• Like 4

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :Snell: MTB-X | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats

I'd vote for both if I could because cheaters suck.  The reality is that most cheaters always cheat regardless of the stakes. Anyone in a country club will tell you the guys that cheat in the meaningless events lead to an advantage in the important events. IE sandbaggers. Don't make a putt unless you have to is the saying at my club. 

There needs to be an asterisk there..

*If you are in a spot for a potential 3 putt, DO make your putt before others are finished if playing snake.

Seems like that was the rule last time anyway! [emoji23]
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6x | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8s | :cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - Nippon Modus 120x | :cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12C, 56.10V, 60.04W - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :Snell: MTB-X | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats

My dads old league partner falls into both of these.  We played a scramble on Father’s Day a few years back, he tried to get the rest of the team to take a 6’ gimme on the 18th green.... I said no thanks... all 4 of us missed the putt, we came in second, lost by 1.  We would have won an extra bud light or something... 🤷🏼‍♂️

he did this in the league too, fudged his cap... everyone could not stand him... no idea why my dad (the straightest shooter I know) had anything to do with him.

• Like 5

When I first started playing golf, there was a guy that everyone knew cheated.  I didn't know him at the time, but when I played with him I found out why he had the fastest golf cart on the course... never had a bad lie.  No one wanted to play with him because if you played on his team, you became questionable too.  He eventually moved on to another course in town, and I later heard that they kicked him out too.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Cheaters cheat, plain and simple. Large or small, big stakes or no stakes, a cheater will cheat. Sandbagging is something I hear all about, but never actually see since I don’t play in a men’s league or belong to a club. What I do see a lot of, are vanity handicaps. Guys who play the tips with me and can’t break 90.

To answer the OP’s question: I would say the cheater that cheats big is the worse of the two evils. That being said, most of the cheating I can think of along those lines( big money, pga tour) are mental mistakes/gaffes that could be fixed by the player calling a penalty on themselves: which brings the ever present in golf but absent in every other pro sport: integrity.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png