Which cheater is worse?

Cheaters  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What's worse?

• The guy who cheats to win an important event
    • The guy who cheats to win a meaningless event

Our Sponsors

I chose the "cheats at a meaningless event" as the worst.  If he'll cheat when it means nothing, he will cheat when there's a prize on the line.  As a caveat, I would never do business with a person that cheats at golf.  If they'll cheat you out of a few dollars on the golf course, imagine how badly they'll cheat you elsewhere.

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*), 5W (21*), 7W (24*), Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

A criminal is a criminal. but I have more respect for the Ocean's 11 guy, than the guy breaking out a car window for a backpack that only has dirty gym clothes in it. 

• Like 1

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Oban Gold
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* AD-DI 85S, Apex 23* Oban Purple
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"
On 11/30/2020 at 11:05 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'll add part of my answer (which doesn't solve it): a guy who cheats to win something important makes me mad. A guy who cheats to win something trivial makes me sad for him, because it's such a pathetic expression lack of character.

Well said! My thoughts are right in line with that

• Like 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 75S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1, 34.5", BGT Stability Tour, 71* lie angle, Press II 3* Grip

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

On 11/30/2020 at 3:57 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

So let's stipulate at the outset: all cheating is bad and all cheaters are awful. There's no good cheater.

But here's the question: is it worse to cheat to win something important or to cheat to win something meaningless? A guy who cheats to win a club championship (or a PGA Tour event) or a guy who cheats to win a big money game: they're cheating with something substantial that they want to gain.

The guys who cheat in a charity scramble or in a casual weekend game with nothing on the line are cheating to gain virtually nothing.

Which is worse? Why?

I am not really going to comment on big money games. Most of that crowd I used to gamble with were a rough and tumble crowd. If you were caught cheating your heart may not be beating in the end. Worse thing for any kind of professional gambler is to get caught cheating because there may not be any physical consenquences but you get branded as a cheat the word will spread and you will not get any more "action"

• Like 3

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

On 11/30/2020 at 4:11 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I remember that book, mostly I remember some of the outrageous gambling amounts.  I can only vaguely recall some of the types of cheating that went on.  I think that's where i first heard about Vaseline on the clubface 🙂

LOL Vaselene or chapstick on the club face in the Charlotte area was considered normal equipment. Club selection may go as this Do I hit a dry 5 iron or a wet 6 iron? Grease and "English balls" part of the standard game around there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

This is an absolutely tough question.  

I voted "Meaningless Event" because I think cheating when it really doesn't matter shows some obvious character flaws and a special level of pathetic.  But after giving it a little thought, I'd probably change that to "Important event", due to the effect it could have on a fellow competitor.  Stealing a win from a person that is doing everything the right way is awful. 

Both suck though, for lack of a better term. 

:ping-small:   Driver: G410 Plus

:cobra-small:  Fairway Wood:  F8 3 Wood

:callaway-small: Hybrid:  Rogue 3 Hybrid

:callaway-small: Hybrid: Rogue X 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small: Irons:  Rogue 6-PW

:Sub70: Irons:  699 Pros 5-PW

:Sub70: Utility Iron: 699-U 2 Iron

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX-4 48/52/56/60 °

:cleveland-small: Putter: Huntington Beach No. 1

:bettinardi-small: Putter: BB8-Wide (2020)

:cameron-small: Putter:  Special Select Newport 2 (2020)

:callaway-small:  Bag: Rogue Staff Bag

:Sub70:  Bag:  Sub70 Staff Bag

:Clicgear:  clicgear 3.5 cart

:Arccos: Caddie System

In my view, even so-called "meaningless" events matter to someone. Playing for quarters with friends matters, otherwise there'd be no quarter on the line. Playing a weekly no-account men's league in the middle of Nowheresville matters to everyone making an honest effort. Fudging your handicap index matters, because like all the other examples (the Masters or the Open included, just like my men's league) they are objective structures of social relations, and as social beings, connections with others matter to us. Cheaters spoil that social relation, no matter the stage or premium for performance upon it.

Callaway Epic Speed + Mitsubishi MMT

TaylorMade SIM Titanium + Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

Titleist U510 20* + Paderson Kinetixx Ballistic

Mizuno 919 Forged + Paderson Kinetixx TS-I

Cleveland CBX2 54*, Vokey SM8 58*

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

Pro V1

I picked the first one but both are not good.  There is no place for cheating in the game of golf .... period.  I don't improve my lie unless the local rules in a tournament allows for it.  If I have to move a ball I will take an unplayable penalty.  If we don't play by the rules of golf then what's the point?  Ethics and integrity should mean something to people in the game of golf and beyond the game of golf.  This should be a foundation of life.

Edited by RobotDoctor

Driver:  TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5° (tour issue 9.9), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15° (small head), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid at 17°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S  ||  Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Wedges:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged: 50°, 54°, 58°, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff ||  Putter: Byron Morgan custom Epic Day

Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred (2016 ball)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

• 2 weeks later...

Cheating to win something big.

cheating in a friendly match you know they’re cheating it doesn’t cost you anything.  You know you really won they do too...

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

@Tarheelvolvo makes sense to me. 

Cheating at something meaningless is petty but has no real harm of getting or taking anything of real value from others. 

Cheating at a real event costs others who are deserving of that prize when it goes to the cheater - think tour de France and Lance Armstrong. 

I don't want to associate with any cheater, liar, or immoral person when I have a choice. 

• Like 1

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg