TESTERS WANTED! ×

New/Used Iron Set Help

I played a set of Cleveland CG16s for 10 years, five of them avidly (my first five), and    five years after kids maybe one to three rounds a year. Two weeks ago my father in law lent me his old Wilson pI5s and I am a big fan but they aren’t a long term solution. They are standard length and not mine to adjust. He is a scratch golfer and after our round on Sunday thinks my next set should be some form of player irons. What forged irons from the last five years or so should I be looking at? I don’t need extra distance and want to feel mishits, I’m at the range more than the course currently and putting in the good work. I’m 6’4 and need longer clubs that may need to be bent upright a touch. Any sub 900 dollar sets that are a practical no miss if you don’t need the latest, greatest, longest and most forgiving club on the planet? 

If you're at the point of being willing to spend up to 900 dollars on used clubs, you're probably better off getting an iron fitting. From there, you can figure out lengths, lie angles, and club features that fit your game best and focus your search on used clubs that actually perform best for you. Far better to spend $900 on clubs that fit your game according to a professional than $900 bucks on clubs based on what the internet tells you. 

At least, that's my two cents worth. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

16 hours ago, AndrewW said:

I played a set of Cleveland CG16s for 10 years, five of them avidly (my first five), and    five years after kids maybe one to three rounds a year. Two weeks ago my father in law lent me his old Wilson pI5s and I am a big fan but they aren’t a long term solution. They are standard length and not mine to adjust. He is a scratch golfer and after our round on Sunday thinks my next set should be some form of player irons. What forged irons from the last five years or so should I be looking at? I don’t need extra distance and want to feel mishits, I’m at the range more than the course currently and putting in the good work. I’m 6’4 and need longer clubs that may need to be bent upright a touch. Any sub 900 dollar sets that are a practical no miss if you don’t need the latest, greatest, longest and most forgiving club on the planet? 

I was just in the same situation you are in now. I second the iron fitting, taking those specs and finding a set of new or used irons w/shafts online. I just picked up a set of Wilson staff c300 forged(5-pw) for $389. Best price I found used or new. Then ebay will probably be your best bet for everything else. As long as you look at the sellers ratings you should be safe. Pieced together a full set for $745 shipped and adjusted. 

Happy hunting! 

Intellectually maddening, soulfully satisfying 

Sub70 and Maltby are probably your best bet for purchasing new clubs that perform really well. The new TS line from Maltby can be custom assembled for around $600 or $400 if you want the TT Score LT or KBS Tour 105 shaft (TS2 only). 

The used market will have many options but my biggest problem with used clubs is that you don't know what you're going to get. What's below the surface may not be very representative of a club advertised with a standard length and loft. However, if you do want to go used, I don't think you can go wrong with any Titleist AP iron, Ping I-series, Bridgestone pocket cavity, or Callaway pro version of their GI clubs (Mavrik Pro, etc.). I would be wary of jumping into an unforgiving forging if you don't have to. The AP2s from Titleist offer great looks at address but offer a lot more forgiveness than a straight forging. Mizuno has some good offerings but beware as their straight forgings may look and feel great but most really aren't all that forgiving. The do have some good options in their JPX lineup though. 

Overall, the Sub70 irons and TS line from Maltby are really good if you want to go new. If you want to go used, I recommend the Titleist AP2s if you want a more blade like appearance and Ping I-series if you're want a more progressive iron set with more forgiveness designed in the long irons. Forged vs. cast doesn't really matter much as they will all feel good if struck well. As a dark horse candidate, I really like the Bridgestone irons with the pocket cavities starting at the J38 and newer. The offer a very low offset head with a little longer blade length to make them forgiving for the market they are targeting. 

I also say get some fitting specs if you can. 

So for starters, as long as you have your length and preferred loft specs, and if you look for something forged, you can always have them bent to your lie specs without issue. Cast clubs are going to be really tough if not impossible to bend. From what you explained that you're looking for though, you'll probably be finding more forged clubs  available anyway. 

Wilson has some really awesome past models that you can find in mint condition for much less than your budget. Last year I played the Wilson FG Tour F5 irons and had an absolute blast with them. They feel superb, look pretty good, and perform fantastically. I was lucky to find a nearly new set 4-GW on Offer Up for $125. They had maybe been played once.. or maybe hit at the range but that was it. Doing some research beforehand, I found that they met my length and loft needs. I'm 6' 3" and their stock lengths are about +.5" from most. I took them to my local PGATSS and gave them my lie specs and had them adjusted for $25. I put new grips on for an add'l $50. I was all-in around $200 for a set of clubs that had a playing value to me of $1,000. I'd still be playing them today if I hadn't pulled the trigger on the clubs I'd been eyeing for a while previously. 

@Kansas King knows I'll ALWAYS chime in whenever the Maltby bell rings 😛 

If you're not afraid to buy clubs without playing them, and basing your purchase off of reviews from experienced and knowledgeable enthusiasts, Maltby clubs will deliver twice to 4 times the value whatever you pay. I currently play the TS-1 model and for me there is no better club being manufactured at the moment. Not a brag, but just a point of reference. I'm playing off 6.3 index and am a regular at my PGATSS. I've hit just about all there is in the player's MB, CB, Distance and crossover-type categories and for me, these check ALL of the boxes. I purchased a custom-built set 3-PW with premium shafts and grips built to my exact specs for around $600. Additionally, I had 2 of the TSW wedges added for less than $100 and they're just superb. The only word of caution is that these have very little resale value due to limited marked for the brand. These are clubs you buy to play and cherish. Not to re-sell. 

Here's a thread that was started that showcases various Maltby clubs from some of the members here. We're becoming a formidable group around the forum 😄

Good luck in your search!

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

That is plenty of budget. I’d give discount dans golf a call with your budget and what you’re looking for, they can make some suggestions and they have best pricing

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

I'd suggest calling Jason at Sub70 golf and talk to him about what you're looking for.  He's great to talk with and very knowledgeable.  They also have a demo program so you can try out some clubs prior to purchasing.  And they have a 60 days return policy if the clubs don't work out.  Highly recommend them.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

Wilson Staff FG V6. As they have just released a new version after 4-5 years you should be able to pick up a set on special.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

On 12/1/2020 at 8:32 PM, AndrewW said:

The homer in me would promote Mizuno irons.  Truly "nothing feels like a mizuno!"  However, I am not a fool enough to think that everyone will feel the same or think that there isn't other very viable options.  My best advice to save some money is to go to one of the many many sites that have slightly used clubs or close outs.  If you buy the previous years close out irons on say a 2nd swing type site, you often will see them listed in a 9.5 condition or 9.  They're brand new but they list them as such because they typically were a demo set or whatever.  When I bought my 919's they were a 9.5 set but came in the plastic wrapping around the heads.  They just happened to be close outs. 

So the moral of the story is get fit, but look at those with your numbers or free modifications to them and go that route.  You'll save a couple hundred on the set. (My 919's were obviously listed at 1224.99 but I got them at 875 with free customization and a retrofit after 30-45 days of play)

Whatever you get, enjoy the ride.  Definitely an exciting time to buy new clubs!

Play well!!!

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

On 12/8/2020 at 6:25 PM, FrankieButterKnife said:

I’m getting a used set of mizuno combo mp5/mp25 irons and will be extending them an inch + regrip. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Welcome to the Mizuno brotherhood @FrankieButterKnife! 😄  Look forward to hearing how you feel about them once you get them all set up proper. 

BNewt51

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

GET FITTED! You need the right lie, loft, length, grip, shaft. Don't waste your money guessing, and don't buy off the internet unless it is with a company like Hogan or equivalent. Too many counterfeit clubs and scams in Asia & Europe where you'll never see your clubs or money back!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

21 hours ago, HDTVMAN said:

GET FITTED! You need the right lie, loft, length, grip, shaft. Don't waste your money guessing, and don't buy off the internet unless it is with a company like Hogan or equivalent. Too many counterfeit clubs and scams in Asia & Europe where you'll never see your clubs or money back!

I’m 5’ 6” I’ve always played off the rack. Attempted to use an online fitting tool prior to being fitted. My wrist to floor is very low. I’d essentially be listed at 4deg flat. I was fitted. Stuck with standard length, but my clubs are 2 deg upright. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

4 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

I’m 5’ 6” I’ve always played off the rack. Attempted to use an online fitting tool prior to being fitted. My wrist to floor is very low. I’d essentially be listed at 4deg flat. I was fitted. Stuck with standard length, but my clubs are 2 deg upright. 

Whats your wrist to floor? Just curious, i am 5'5" and have a low wrist to floor.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

3 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Whats your wrist to floor? Just curious, i am 5'5" and have a low wrist to floor.

27.5. Pretty long arms on a shorter lower body. I don’t even fit in the ping or sub 70 fitting charts lol

Edited by RollingGreens

Titleist ProV1

27.5. Pretty long arms on a shorter lower body. I don’t even fit in the ping or sub 70 fitting charts lol
Just the best luck right????

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

4 hours ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Just the best luck right????

Take Dead Aim

You can say that twice! Hopefully the new sticks are all the luck I need

Titleist ProV1

I'm not quite as tall as you at 6'2", ~7ish years ago I had a "fitting", It was at a vendors demo day at the club I'd just joined, I later learned that it was a crock of 💩, the "fitter" let me hit a few, asked some questions, level of play etc - so it was essentially tall guy, beginner, but good hand-eye, fast aggressive swing, make em 1" long 2º upright & see if you can convince him to shell some extra $ for a shaft upgrade... Clubs arrived, I kept them until I knew better, ~ 2 seasons.  

Not too long ago (Early '19) and one better level of iron fitting later, I'd got my Hcp down a good amount and was breaking 80 on good days. I treated myself to a "full bag fitting", the difference was night and day! Each length, loft and lie angle specified from my 60º wedge to my Driver with in specific numbers, as apposed to just 1" long & 2º up. So I know what each club needs to be, my 8i is 37º loft, 61.5º lie, and 37" long and the shaft that worked best across all the brands I hit within a head category that was working best for me.

That info translates to any club brand, if I stay in that head category: for example T100 8i stock 38º loft 63.5º lie,  921 Tour 38º 62º, P7MC 38º 63º, so 1 upright would get me 3 different lie angles with those 3 brands!

I guess what I'm saying is that you can go buy used clubs that are "your" specs, but having the full bag data will allow you to bend and extend whatever you buy to be the right fit! I'm a 2nd for the Mizuno recommendations, I love my 919tour/forged set up, I could have just as easily gamed the Callaway Apex pro, TM P7MC and Cobra King Tour in terms of performance, but the Mizuno won the day as they didn't charge extra for the shaft upgrade I was fitted to.  

P.S. Look at the Callaway preowned site too, some really good gear there.

Good luck!

My mixed bag

• :titelist-small: TS2 Matrix Ozik Black Tie XS
  • :callaway-small:Rogue 3W MCA C6 Blue Stiff, + 1/2"
  • :titelist-small:816 19º Hybrid Aldilia Tour Green S +1/2"
  • :mizuno-small:JPX 919Forged 4&5 919 Tour 6-PW Project X LZ 6.0 +1/2" 1º Upright. 
  • :vokey-small: SM8 50º Project x LZ 6.0 +3/4"
  • :cleveland-small:RTX 4&ZipCore 54º 60º wedge Flex +3/4"
  • Scott Readman Concepts IKBII (Google them - they are amazing) 
  • :titelist-small: left dash -ProV1X or :srixon-small: Z Star XV

Got an update on my used Mizuno irons purchase:

Went to a local fitter in Kansas City called "Golf MD".  They extended my shafts 2" and installed some midsize grips, because I'm 6'5" and have quite large hands.  They also have a loft/lie adjustment service that I took advantage of.  Went 2 degrees above normal and was absolutely ripping my 6 iron 200+.  Haven't took them on the course yet but I'm pretty dang happy.  It is a risk buying used clubs, but if you can find a set in good shape/right price you can really get a bargain.

unnamed (2).jpg

22 hours ago, FrankieButterKnife said:

Went to a local fitter in Kansas City called "Golf MD".  They extended my shafts 2" and installed some midsize grips, because I'm 6'5" and have quite large hands.  They also have a loft/lie adjustment service that I took advantage of.  Went 2 degrees above normal and was absolutely ripping my 6 iron 200+.  Haven't took them on the course yet but I'm pretty dang happy.  It is a risk buying used clubs, but if you can find a set in good shape/right price you can really get a bargain.

unnamed (2).jpg

Yep. If you're not looking to spend too much and are willing to be patient, you can find some great deals and keep things fun. 

Best find to this day was a brand new Wilson Triton driver, everything in plastic still with the full weight kit, for $40. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

On 12/17/2020 at 8:51 AM, FrankieButterKnife said:

unnamed (2).jpg

10.4° launch on a 6i seems unusable in the real world. Only 3780 spin looks way low. Sacrificing holding greens for distance is a lose-lose. I would not be boasting those numbers. Those look like driver or 3w numbers for launch, spin, and smash factor. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

On 12/20/2020 at 12:00 PM, Buffly said:

10.4° launch on a 6i seems unusable in the real world. Only 3780 spin looks way low. Sacrificing holding greens for distance is a lose-lose. I would not be boasting those numbers. Those look like driver or 3w numbers for launch, spin, and smash factor. 

Just my opinion, but probably not fair to say unless you see the peak heights.  I've seen plenty of low launcher players have balls that climb.  Spin on the 6 as you pointed out is low, so that part would come into play.  You're either Lee Trevino'ing shots into greens (and lets face it that worked for him pretty well) or you're going to weaken the lofts to get some more spin and height.  But from the picture I think it's a little unfair to make the assessment.  not enough data. 

However, the 1.42 smash is pretty spot on.  So he was definitely centering it up. 

BNewt51

On 12/17/2020 at 8:51 AM, FrankieButterKnife said:

unnamed (2).jpg

9 hours ago, BNewton51 said:

Just my opinion, but probably not fair to say unless you see the peak heights.  I've seen plenty of low launcher players have balls that climb.  Spin on the 6 as you pointed out is low, so that part would come into play.  You're either Lee Trevino'ing shots into greens (and lets face it that worked for him pretty well) or you're going to weaken the lofts to get some more spin and height.  But from the picture I think it's a little unfair to make the assessment.  not enough data. 

However, the 1.42 smash is pretty spot on.  So he was definitely centering it up. 

image.png.3f2dedd73d7fe62ad5058a3472792da3.png

6 iron 2 inches over length is the length of a 2 iron, launching like a 3 iron, with smash factor between a 4&5 iron, and the spin of a 3 wood

I stand corrected on the smash - the extra length of the club helps explain the increased ball speed. My opinion stands that it seems too low in spin and launch to be effective. However, time will only tell if the player will make a change in release over time that may affect this launch conditions as these are brand new.

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

On 12/22/2020 at 12:06 AM, Buffly said:

image.png.3f2dedd73d7fe62ad5058a3472792da3.png

6 iron 2 inches over length is the length of a 2 iron, launching like a 3 iron, with smash factor between a 4&5 iron, and the spin of a 3 wood

I stand corrected on the smash - the extra length of the club helps explain the increased ball speed. My opinion stands that it seems too low in spin and launch to be effective. However, time will only tell if the player will make a change in release over time that may affect this launch conditions as these are brand new.

I appreciate the info fellas!  I'm not the best player in the world and not terribly familiar with the data and how it translates.  I was just thrilled to see my gamble pay off!  Played a few rounds this past weekend and hit some beauties.

Cheers!

30 minutes ago, FrankieButterKnife said:

I appreciate the info fellas!  I'm not the best player in the world and not terribly familiar with the data and how it translates.  I was just thrilled to see my gamble pay off!  Played a few rounds this past weekend and hit some beauties.

Cheers!

Keep smashing it brotha!  All that matters at the end of the day is if it works for you, then it works!  

BNewt51

• 3 weeks later...