Jump to content

New/Used Iron Set Help


AndrewW

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

I'm not quite as tall as you at 6'2", ~7ish years ago I had a "fitting", It was at a vendors demo day at the club I'd just joined, I later learned that it was a crock of 💩, the "fitter" let me hit a few, asked some questions, level of play etc - so it was essentially tall guy, beginner, but good hand-eye, fast aggressive swing, make em 1" long 2º upright & see if you can convince him to shell some extra $ for a shaft upgrade... Clubs arrived, I kept them until I knew better, ~ 2 seasons.  

Not too long ago (Early '19) and one better level of iron fitting later, I'd got my Hcp down a good amount and was breaking 80 on good days. I treated myself to a "full bag fitting", the difference was night and day! Each length, loft and lie angle specified from my 60º wedge to my Driver with in specific numbers, as apposed to just 1" long & 2º up. So I know what each club needs to be, my 8i is 37º loft, 61.5º lie, and 37" long and the shaft that worked best across all the brands I hit within a head category that was working best for me.

That info translates to any club brand, if I stay in that head category: for example T100 8i stock 38º loft 63.5º lie,  921 Tour 38º 62º, P7MC 38º 63º, so 1 upright would get me 3 different lie angles with those 3 brands!

I guess what I'm saying is that you can go buy used clubs that are "your" specs, but having the full bag data will allow you to bend and extend whatever you buy to be the right fit! I'm a 2nd for the Mizuno recommendations, I love my 919tour/forged set up, I could have just as easily gamed the Callaway Apex pro, TM P7MC and Cobra King Tour in terms of performance, but the Mizuno won the day as they didn't charge extra for the shaft upgrade I was fitted to.  

P.S. Look at the Callaway preowned site too, some really good gear there.

 

Good luck!

  • Like 1

My mixed bag

  • :titelist-small: TS2 Matrix Ozik Black Tie XS
  • :callaway-small:Rogue 3W MCA C6 Blue Stiff, + 1/2"
  • :titelist-small:816 19º Hybrid Aldilia Tour Green S +1/2"
  • :mizuno-small:JPX 919Forged 4&5 919 Tour 6-PW Project X LZ 6.0 +1/2" 1º Upright. 
  • :vokey-small: SM8 50º Project x LZ 6.0 +3/4"
  • :cleveland-small:RTX 4&ZipCore 54º 60º wedge Flex +3/4"
  • Scott Readman Concepts IKBII (Google them - they are amazing) 
  • :titelist-small: left dash -ProV1X or :srixon-small: Z Star XV
Link to post

Got an update on my used Mizuno irons purchase:

Went to a local fitter in Kansas City called "Golf MD".  They extended my shafts 2" and installed some midsize grips, because I'm 6'5" and have quite large hands.  They also have a loft/lie adjustment service that I took advantage of.  Went 2 degrees above normal and was absolutely ripping my 6 iron 200+.  Haven't took them on the course yet but I'm pretty dang happy.  It is a risk buying used clubs, but if you can find a set in good shape/right price you can really get a bargain.

unnamed (2).jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
22 hours ago, FrankieButterKnife said:

Got an update on my used Mizuno irons purchase:

Went to a local fitter in Kansas City called "Golf MD".  They extended my shafts 2" and installed some midsize grips, because I'm 6'5" and have quite large hands.  They also have a loft/lie adjustment service that I took advantage of.  Went 2 degrees above normal and was absolutely ripping my 6 iron 200+.  Haven't took them on the course yet but I'm pretty dang happy.  It is a risk buying used clubs, but if you can find a set in good shape/right price you can really get a bargain.

unnamed (2).jpg

Yep. If you're not looking to spend too much and are willing to be patient, you can find some great deals and keep things fun. 

Best find to this day was a brand new Wilson Triton driver, everything in plastic still with the full weight kit, for $40. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons. 

Assorted wedges.

Odyssey White Hot Pro putter.

Link to post
On 12/17/2020 at 8:51 AM, FrankieButterKnife said:

Got an update on my used Mizuno irons purchase:

Went to a local fitter in Kansas City called "Golf MD".  They extended my shafts 2" and installed some midsize grips, because I'm 6'5" and have quite large hands.  They also have a loft/lie adjustment service that I took advantage of.  Went 2 degrees above normal and was absolutely ripping my 6 iron 200+.  Haven't took them on the course yet but I'm pretty dang happy.  It is a risk buying used clubs, but if you can find a set in good shape/right price you can really get a bargain.

unnamed (2).jpg

10.4° launch on a 6i seems unusable in the real world. Only 3780 spin looks way low. Sacrificing holding greens for distance is a lose-lose. I would not be boasting those numbers. Those look like driver or 3w numbers for launch, spin, and smash factor. 

  • Like 1

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Link to post
On 12/20/2020 at 12:00 PM, Buffly said:

10.4° launch on a 6i seems unusable in the real world. Only 3780 spin looks way low. Sacrificing holding greens for distance is a lose-lose. I would not be boasting those numbers. Those look like driver or 3w numbers for launch, spin, and smash factor. 

Just my opinion, but probably not fair to say unless you see the peak heights.  I've seen plenty of low launcher players have balls that climb.  Spin on the 6 as you pointed out is low, so that part would come into play.  You're either Lee Trevino'ing shots into greens (and lets face it that worked for him pretty well) or you're going to weaken the lofts to get some more spin and height.  But from the picture I think it's a little unfair to make the assessment.  not enough data. 

However, the 1.42 smash is pretty spot on.  So he was definitely centering it up. 

  • Like 2

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

 :ping-small: - Hoffer Bag 

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

 

Link to post
On 12/17/2020 at 8:51 AM, FrankieButterKnife said:

Got an update on my used Mizuno irons purchase:

Went to a local fitter in Kansas City called "Golf MD".  They extended my shafts 2" and installed some midsize grips, because I'm 6'5" and have quite large hands.  They also have a loft/lie adjustment service that I took advantage of.  Went 2 degrees above normal and was absolutely ripping my 6 iron 200+.  Haven't took them on the course yet but I'm pretty dang happy.  It is a risk buying used clubs, but if you can find a set in good shape/right price you can really get a bargain.

unnamed (2).jpg

 

9 hours ago, BNewton51 said:

Just my opinion, but probably not fair to say unless you see the peak heights.  I've seen plenty of low launcher players have balls that climb.  Spin on the 6 as you pointed out is low, so that part would come into play.  You're either Lee Trevino'ing shots into greens (and lets face it that worked for him pretty well) or you're going to weaken the lofts to get some more spin and height.  But from the picture I think it's a little unfair to make the assessment.  not enough data. 

However, the 1.42 smash is pretty spot on.  So he was definitely centering it up. 

image.png.3f2dedd73d7fe62ad5058a3472792da3.png

 

6 iron 2 inches over length is the length of a 2 iron, launching like a 3 iron, with smash factor between a 4&5 iron, and the spin of a 3 wood

I stand corrected on the smash - the extra length of the club helps explain the increased ball speed. My opinion stands that it seems too low in spin and launch to be effective. However, time will only tell if the player will make a change in release over time that may affect this launch conditions as these are brand new.

  • Like 1

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Link to post
On 12/22/2020 at 12:06 AM, Buffly said:

 

image.png.3f2dedd73d7fe62ad5058a3472792da3.png

 

6 iron 2 inches over length is the length of a 2 iron, launching like a 3 iron, with smash factor between a 4&5 iron, and the spin of a 3 wood

I stand corrected on the smash - the extra length of the club helps explain the increased ball speed. My opinion stands that it seems too low in spin and launch to be effective. However, time will only tell if the player will make a change in release over time that may affect this launch conditions as these are brand new.

I appreciate the info fellas!  I'm not the best player in the world and not terribly familiar with the data and how it translates.  I was just thrilled to see my gamble pay off!  Played a few rounds this past weekend and hit some beauties.

 

Cheers!

  • Like 3
Link to post
30 minutes ago, FrankieButterKnife said:

I appreciate the info fellas!  I'm not the best player in the world and not terribly familiar with the data and how it translates.  I was just thrilled to see my gamble pay off!  Played a few rounds this past weekend and hit some beauties.

 

Cheers!

Keep smashing it brotha!  All that matters at the end of the day is if it works for you, then it works!  

  • Like 2

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

 :ping-small: - Hoffer Bag 

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

 

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...

Ended up ordering two clubs from sub70 that just got in today. Can’t wait for the weather to break so I can put them in action, 639 cb 9 iron and a jb 56 wedge both an inch over and 2 degrees upright. Great customer experience

  • Like 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...