TESTERS WANTED! ×

3 Wood Shaft Recommendations

Micah T

Bit of a dilemna I'm hoping everyone can help me with:

Just did a 3 wood fitting: tried a lot of heads, maybe not enough shafts. Same fitter did my driver fitting, which I'm 100% satisfied with. I'm hitting it just as far as I ever did, but so much straighter, and with a predictable miss. But prior knowledge of my swing and its faults led my fitter to more or less insist on the same shaft as my driver(tensei pro white tx 60 gram) just in a heavier, 70 gram model. I was swung out by the end of our session and had brought my B- swing to the fitting anyway, so I didn't purchase, but now I'm wondering, should I go back and try some other shafts? The head will definitely be a Ping G410, but I'm wondering about some other after-market shafts I might try before parting with some serious cash for the 70 gram tensei white. 

For reference, I'm posting some data from my fitting: my current gamer is a Titleist 917F2 15 degree(C3 setting) with a 70 gram x5ct Diamana Stiff. Blue Data is my Gamer, Purple is the G410 with the Tensei shaft.

Other shafts I'm thinking about:

Hzrdus smoke black 70 gram

Tensei Orange 70 gram

Ventus Black 70 gram

Any ideas from fitters on our dear old forum, or just habitual tinkerers, would be appreciated.

3 wood gamer stats.png

dispersion.png

Ping G410 w Tensei Pro white TX 70.png

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

1 hour ago, Micah T said:

Bit of a dilemna I'm hoping everyone can help me with:

Just did a 3 wood fitting: tried a lot of heads, maybe not enough shafts. Same fitter did my driver fitting, which I'm 100% satisfied with. I'm hitting it just as far as I ever did, but so much straighter, and with a predictable miss. But prior knowledge of my swing and its faults led my fitter to more or less insist on the same shaft as my driver(tensei pro white tx 60 gram) just in a heavier, 70 gram model. I was swung out by the end of our session and had brought my B- swing to the fitting anyway, so I didn't purchase, but now I'm wondering, should I go back and try some other shafts? The head will definitely be a Ping G410, but I'm wondering about some other after-market shafts I might try before parting with some serious cash for the 70 gram tensei white. 

For reference, I'm posting some data from my fitting: my current gamer is a Titleist 917F2 15 degree(C3 setting) with a 70 gram x5ct Diamana Stiff. Blue Data is my Gamer, Purple is the G410 with the Tensei shaft.

Other shafts I'm thinking about:

Hzrdus smoke black 70 gram

Tensei Orange 70 gram

Ventus Black 70 gram

Any ideas from fitters on our dear old forum, or just habitual tinkerers, would be appreciated.

3 wood gamer stats.png

dispersion.png

Ping G410 w Tensei Pro white TX 70.png

My two sense as the proverbial tinkerer and someone who helps fit my golfers into clubs...those numbers with the Tensei White are pretty darn good. The distance control is awesome! I can see why you’re happy.

I would hesitate to go away from the white to any of those shafts you listed. They’re lower launch than the TW if I’m not mistaken, which will make getting the 3W up in the air a challenge in comparison. However, I would also try and avoid the aftermarket cost if you can. I’d say Ventus blue, but that’d lead you to the same cost as the tensei (I’m assuming it’s an aftermarket upgrade). I’d put the Fuji Atmos TS in the rotation too, either blue or black.

No matter what, you need to hit some before taking the plunge. Feel as good about 3W as driver!

TXG just did a video on this very topic. Trust in Ian! 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

My two sense as the proverbial tinkerer and someone who helps fit my golfers into clubs...those numbers with the Tensei White are pretty darn good. The distance control is awesome! I can see why you’re happy.
I would hesitate to go away from the white to any of those shafts you listed. They’re lower launch than the TW if I’m not mistaken, which will make getting the 3W up in the air a challenge in comparison. However, I would also try and avoid the aftermarket cost if you can. I’d say Ventus blue, but that’d lead you to the same cost as the tensei (I’m assuming it’s an aftermarket upgrade). I’d put the Fuji Atmos TS in the rotation too, either blue or black.
No matter what, you need to hit some before taking the plunge. Feel as good about 3W as driver!
TXG just did a video on this very topic. Trust in Ian! 
[/url]  

I watched that video, which in turn got me thinking, hence the post. I’ll add the atmos to the list!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

3 minutes ago, Micah T said:

I watched that video, which in turn got me thinking, hence the post. I’ll add the atmos to the list!

Those guys are awesome, I love their videos. Ian explains the tech like no one else. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Set up another fitting for Monday, I’ll be hitting:
Hzrdus Smoke
Ventus blue & black
Alta CB
Atmos
Tensei orange

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Those look like really good numbers to me. I'd be curious if you omitted the one shorter shot, if your spin numbers would come down. I'd rather have a little extra spin than a little less with the 3 wood personally, but thats really the only way to improve on these numbers short of more club head speed. A shaft that launches similarly but with slightly less spin might get you a few more yards. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Those look like really good numbers to me. I'd be curious if you omitted the one shorter shot, if your spin numbers would come down. I'd rather have a little extra spin than a little less with the 3 wood personally, but thats really the only way to improve on these numbers short of more club head speed. A shaft that launches similarly but with slightly less spin might get you a few more yards. 

Besides a tighter dispersion, I’m more hoping for a higher ball flight/landing angle: both groups of shots were off the deck, and I’m wondering if another shaft would launch a little higher and land a little softer.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

On 12/3/2020 at 12:29 PM, Micah T said:

Set up another fitting for Monday, I’ll be hitting:
Hzrdus Smoke
Ventus blue & black
Alta CB
Atmos
Tensei orange

I'm interested to see the outcome of your fitting.  Funny that you have the Alta CB on the list.  I have those on my G410P and both my 3w and 5w G400's.  I hit both the 3w and 5w great, but would love a bit more distance (what is it with this distance thing? 😁)

With my TrueSpec fitting coming up the week after next, I'm somewhat expecting that one outcome will be to re-shaft one or all of these - from what many consider the stock, less than high end, shafts.  It will be a blast finding out what is available that can move me to change up the current woods and irons.  Compared to my fitting a 1-1/2 ago, this will feel like going into Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory 🤩.

I've been doing a little research on shafts and ran across this - others might find it of interest.

Golf Geeks - How the Shaft Affects Performance | MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Interesting read! It just makes me want to try more shafts: I just keep adding shafts to the list!

Fujikura pro 2.0
Even flow black 85 gram

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

2 hours ago, Micah T said:

Interesting read! It just makes me want to try more shafts: I just keep adding shafts to the list!

Fujikura pro 2.0
Even flow black 85 gram

Pro 2.0 or Pro 2.0 TS? TS is extremely tip stiff so dispersion will likely be a plus but that shaft does not launch the ball high at all. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Pro 2.0 or Pro 2.0 TS? TS is extremely tip stiff so dispersion will likely be a plus but that shaft does not launch the ball high at all. 

Most likely TS, but I want to try them both. My intuition is that softer tipped shafts( and softer flex) will spin too much for me. And I’m wondering how much the weight will influence my delivery...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

1 hour ago, Micah T said:

Most likely TS, but I want to try them both. My intuition is that softer tipped shafts( and softer flex) will spin too much for me. And I’m wondering how much the weight will influence my delivery...

I have the TS in my driver. You need to have an aggressive transition to load it. If you don’t load it, who knows where the ball ends up. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

I have the TS in my driver. You need to have an aggressive transition to load it. If you don’t load it, who knows where the ball ends up. 

I have the Tensei Pro white tx in my driver: I’m fairly sure I’m in the aggressive transition group. But I want to try some shafts that shouldn’t fit me to prove the rule...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Just got back from my fitting! Had the A swing going for about 50+ swings before I got tired. I’m glad I went back for a 2nd opinion: and any fitter worth your time and money should have no problem erasing all your doubts . We worked from the least stiff all the way to the most, which was the Tensei white 70 gram tx - which still represented well, but was not what I ended up buying. In order of stiffness I tried:
Ventus blue 7x
Hzrdus smoke yellow tx
Fujikura speeder evolution 7x
Mitsubishi Tensei white tx

The Ventus was not for me: maybe my transition is too aggressive, maybe it’s too light, either way no thanks. Hzrdus was ok, but launched too low. The light bulb came on when we switched in the Fujikura speeder: every shot had roughly the same shape, apex and spin. The Tensei was longer by a couple yards, but as you can see in the trackman report, the dispersion didn’t come close.

IMG_3502.thumb.PNG.a6635278fcd271f69295a912cae2904a.PNGIMG_3501.thumb.PNG.04536e9ae79ba36768e62504443d0510.PNG

I also tried the LST G410: my fitter wasn’t convinced that the LST is actually lower spin for every player, and my results backed his claim up. Spin stayed in the same ballpark , but I hit much straighter shots with my preferred shape.
IMG_3503.PNG
I actually had more spin on average from the LST, but straighter ball flight.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

those are some damn good numbers @Micah T!!

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

IMG_3504.PNG
Red =Tensei white w/ G410
Blue = Fujikura speeder evolution 7x w/ G410 LST
Purple = Fujikura speeder evolution 7x w/ G410

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

• 2 months later...

@Micah T curious if you hit the atmos black at all? i’ve got the TS 9TX in my 3w and love it. 

either way, i’m jealous of that dispersion  

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

7 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

@Micah T curious if you hit the atmos black at all? i’ve got the TS 9TX in my 3w and love it. 

either way, i’m jealous of that dispersion  

I did: my fitter was 99% sure I'd end up in a Tensei white tx 70 gram:(just a heavier version of my driver shaft) so for my 2nd fitting we hit 5 shafts we hadn't previously considered, and just kept increasing the stiffness/weight. I wanna say the Atmos was the 2nd I tried, but it wasn't for me. The tensei was the stiffest and had slightly more carry, but the flight, launch, and dispersion of the fujikura was just too much to resist. It feels like it takes zero effort to put it out there 260ish and with the same shape every time...

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9