TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does swing weight/ shaft weight makes it more difficult to release the club?

I am playing a ns pro 950gh with set of mp 18 mb. It is set at d2. My release style is kinda like Jordan Speith, although im striking the ball well, i am suffering from a chicken wing in the follow through and i think its robbing my speed. 

i thought about this and recently did a little experiment where i would swing a badminton racket (very light head weight), releasing it as i would. Then i taped weight on to the head and i found that it is much harder to release it like before, it almost forces me to straighten my hands through impact. Do you think this works the same in clubs and if so should i change my shaft (what shaft do you recommend that is similar to what i have right now?) or alter my swing weight?

Also through some digging i found an old article that stated Jordan Speith’s driver is setted at d1. 

I dont think its a coincident that his driver is at d1 with his release style. Where as we see guys with other releases style on tour have their driver at d4 and above.

Edited by LouisBao
Grammar error title

Honma TW747 at 10,5 deg w 50gr SR shaft

Taylormade M6 3 wood w stock S shaft

Titleist U500 2iron hzrdus 6.0

Mizuno MP 18 MB with KBS Tour 105

Titleist Vokey SM8 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Coronado.

• JohnCam changed the title to Does swing weight/ shaft weight makes it more difficult to release the club?
8 minutes ago, LouisBao said:

I am playing a ns pro 950gh with set of mp 18 mb. It is set at d2. My release style is kinda like Jordan Speith, although im striking the ball well, i am suffering from a chicken wing in the follow through and i think its robbing my speed. 

i thought about this and recently did a little experiment where i would swing a badminton racket (very light head weight), releasing it as i would. Then i taped weight on to the head and i found that it is much harder to release it like before, it almost forces me to straighten my hands through impact. Do you think this works the same in clubs and if so should i change my shaft (what shaft do you recommend that is similar to what i have right now?) or alter my swing weight?

Also through some digging i found an old article that stated Jordan Speith’s driver is setted at d1. 

I dont think its a coincident that his driver is at d1 with his release style. Where as we see guys with other releases style on tour have their driver at d4 and above.

Changing swingweight definitely impacts how the swing feels. Hence the name. 

While there is a lot that goes into how the club releases (in particular as to whether or not you’re properly loading the club), changing swingweight can impact how it feels to release the club. 

Simple solution if you’d like to test this out is to add weight to the grip (either with lead tape or new, heavier grips). This will lower the swing weight, effectively making it feel like the club head is lighter. The overall weight will increase, but swingweight will go down. You can easily find out how much your grips weigh on the manufacturers website for most grip companies. 

All that being said, I don’t thing changing the shaft or swingweight will fix the chicken wing. Drills and practice! There are a lot of good drills on YouTube to help with that problem. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

10 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

Changing swingweight definitely impacts how the swing feels. Hence the name. 

While there is a lot that goes into how the club releases (in particular as to whether or not you’re properly loading the club), changing swingweight can impact how it feels to release the club. 

Simple solution if you’d like to test this out is to add weight to the grip (either with lead tape or new, heavier grips). This will lower the swing weight, effectively making it feel like the club head is lighter. The overall weight will increase, but swingweight will go down. You can easily find out how much your grips weigh on the manufacturers website for most grip companies. 

All that being said, I don’t thing changing the shaft or swingweight will fix the chicken wing. Drills and practice! There are a lot of good drills on YouTube to help with that problem. 

Make sense, if i really focus on the release, i can release the club straight and do well. But when i focus on the release, i usually get carried away from other things. I just thought that if the club/ club head is heavier, it might be easier!

I just talk to a coach that i know at the range and he told me that i dont have a chicken wing, its more like i dont fully extend in the Y position . 

Edited by LouisBao
Adding things

Honma TW747 at 10,5 deg w 50gr SR shaft

Taylormade M6 3 wood w stock S shaft

Titleist U500 2iron hzrdus 6.0

Mizuno MP 18 MB with KBS Tour 105

Titleist Vokey SM8 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Coronado.

Everyone responds differently to the swingweight and total weight of the club. As previously stated you seem to have some kind of swing issue.

As for your question SW, total weight, weight distribution, and shaft will all impact how a club releases. This is why we always suggest you see a fitter.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, LouisBao said:

Make sense, if i really focus on the release, i can release the club straight and do well. But when i focus on the release, i usually get carried away from other things. I just thought that if the club/ club head is heavier, it might be easier!

I just talk to a coach that i know at the range and he told me that i dont have a chicken wing, its more like i dont fully extend in the Y position . 

There’s a $10 training aid available on Amazon to help with that. It basically locks you in the Y position. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

I agree with what the others have said. I would recommend what @jddaigneault said regarding playing with the club's swing weight. I would say that clubs with the wrong weight or shaft characteristics can really fight a golfer more than you might imagine. I would recommend having an open mind regarding what your swing weight should be. You might find that you need a swing weight the upper C range like C8/C9 instead of the traditional lower D range. There is also a possibility that you are fighting the shaft. I'm not even going to try to recommend a shaft as that would need the help of a fitter. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 7:31 AM, jddaigneault said:

There’s a $10 training aid available on Amazon to help with that. It basically locks you in the Y position. 

Can you provide a link to the product you mentioned?

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

4 hours ago, Buffly said:

Can you provide a link to the product you mentioned?

Golf Swing Training Aid 2PACK,Swing Correcting Arm Band,Golf Swing Trainer,Trainer Smooth Swing Correcting Tools for Golf Beginner,Golf Training Arm Band https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NVQFG1T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_EcM7FbCWTJZX0

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

50 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

Golf Swing Training Aid 2PACK,Swing Correcting Arm Band,Golf Swing Trainer,Trainer Smooth Swing Correcting Tools for Golf Beginner,Golf Training Arm Band https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NVQFG1T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_EcM7FbCWTJZX0

Cool. Thanks

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg