TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report-TaylorMade TP5X

Golfspy_CG2

This is one I know a lot of people have been waiting for.  What are your thoughts.

https://mygolfspy.com/taylormade-tp5x-ball-review/

TaylorMade TP5x Golf Balls

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

little surprised with the off center core but I think there is more risk of that with a 5 piece ball ... if you get them for sale price or the practice ball price it is definitely worth it. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

I found a TP5x and played it for a few holes and was extremely pleased with its performance, especially in the long game, and love the feel of it. As a result, I snagged a dozen of the TP5x Pix practice balls at $20 and while I would have loved to see a little more consistency, but overall I'm not mad about these results. (and at $20/dz? That's a steal.)

The multiple manufacturing facilities does potentially complicate these results a little bit...

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

Moved to the TP5X a month or so ago. Really like it. Don't think I'm good enough to detect that 5 or so percent of "out of round" balls........or am I?

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

Picked up a dozen a couple of weeks ago. My MTB-X have been backordered, and I know I am getting my Z STAR XVs for Christmas, so I found it a prime time to test the TP5X.

First, the finish of the yellow is pure garbage. Google the reviews. The durability is terrible. 

I found the ball to be similar to slightly short off the driver compared to my aforementioned gamers, but it did pick up distance with the mid irons. A few yards of carry which was nice, but I did have trouble holding some greens even with a solid strike, high ball flight, steep descent and 7 irons are bouncing well off the back. Even had a PW go long after landing 2 yards past the flag. Normally my short irons are basically within 3 feet of where they landed on the green. I started playing these to the front 1/3 of the green. One course I frequent has a 175 yard par 3 that is setup to really favor a fade unless you can really hit a ridiculously high draw. There are trees on the right side along the fairway the really cover the right 1/2 of the green. Normally a solid 6 for me with the face open a touch. I didn't think that would hold with the TP5x, and opted for a very hard 7, which surprisingly got well over the trees, landed on the front edge on then ran right to the back fringe. 15 feet or so from the back pin. Ended up working great, but just dont like playing golf like that. If you can control the spin, you might find these to be 1/3 or 1/2 club longer with the mid irons. 

No complaints about greenside performance though, and feels similar off the putter. 

Going to pick up some Bridgestone BX next. Wish they had those in yellow. Everyone else now has their premium tour offerings in yellow. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I've not seriously tried TP5 or TP5x and while Taylormade's tendency to flirt with the legal limits is a tad off-putting, I'd very much like to give both models a good test come spring. Very impressed with TM's ability to manage such a complicated manufacturing process. However, I still worry that it will catch up with them at some point if they aren't careful.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I've played a few found TP5x's and honestly not found them to offer me any distinct advantage.  I did notice they seem harder than my usual small list of gamers. At this price point, one would expect a bit better manufacturing quality. These ball reviews are revealing some things most of us would otherwise never know.  Have we settled on the "most wanted/best value" ball yet? 🙂

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

. These ball reviews are revealing some things most of us would otherwise never know.  Have we settled on the "most wanted/best value" ball yet? 

I thought the MBT-X is one of the leading candidates.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Just now, tony@CIC said:

I thought the MBT-X is one of the leading candidates.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

At this point, Snell MTB gets my vote for that title, with Maxfli Tour in very close second place.  All that said, I tend to dig in the bag for the ProV1's... why is that? 🤣

I played TP5X for years due to having access to them at a lower price than retail. When MGS came out with the Ball Test results, and I saw the issues with TP5X at that point, I went to Pro V1X full time. I learned to love the feel of TP5X, and it was by far my favorite until the switch. I played a few holes recently with one I found in my bag and enjoyed it all over again, but I’m not switching....

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

13 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I've not seriously tried TP5 or TP5x and while Taylormade's tendency to flirt with the legal limits is a tad off-putting, I'd very much like to give both models a good test come spring. Very impressed with TM's ability to manage such a complicated manufacturing process. However, I still worry that it will catch up with them at some point if they aren't careful.

I would not worry about TMs process as they have had their core/mantle assemblies for urethane models produced by Nassau (South Korea, they helped establish this factory) and now Foremost (Taiwan) with urethane cover assembly/finishing completed in their South Carolina plant for like a decade.

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

I'm trying to decide which of these TM balls to try. I love the Z-Star and ProV1 both of which are medium launch and spin.

The regular TP5 is roughly the same compression as above and the X a little firmer. Not worried about distance gains or dispersion. And I already hit a high ball.

What is lost/gained in the short game with a high (TP5) or low (X) spin ball? Ohio courses get crusty greens in the summer so if a low spin ball is less likely to sit, I'll know that's the one to avoid.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

18 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

At this point, Snell MTB gets my vote for that title, with Maxfli Tour in very close second place.  All that said, I tend to dig in the bag for the ProV1's... why is that? 🤣

I think the Spalding Tour and Tour X from Walmart deserve a value ball honorable mention at $25/dozen. I've played 5 dozen of the MTB-X, I've played the Vice Pro+, and I've played a few dozen of the Spaldings and can say that I am rather impressed. I don't know how well they're made but I can say they perform well for me.

5 hours ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I'm trying to decide which of these TM balls to try. I love the Z-Star and ProV1 both of which are medium launch and spin.

The regular TP5 is roughly the same compression as above and the X a little firmer. Not worried about distance gains or dispersion. And I already hit a high ball.

What is lost/gained in the short game with a high (TP5) or low (X) spin ball? Ohio courses get crusty greens in the summer so if a low spin ball is less likely to sit, I'll know that's the one to avoid.

Take Dead Aim

I think you'll get plenty of spin with either. The spin ratings are really more about driver than wedge, though you can check the 2019 ball test results to see comparables. For me, I get less driver spin but more wedge spin with the X versus the regular. And in terms of feel, I think the X is significantly firmer. In a blindfolded test, I wouldn't have said they were even the same manufacturer...

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

3 hours ago, Kansas King said:

I think the Spalding Tour and Tour X from Walmart deserve a value ball honorable mention at $25/dozen. I've played 5 dozen of the MTB-X, I've played the Vice Pro+, and I've played a few dozen of the Spaldings and can say that I am rather impressed. I don't know how well they're made but I can say they perform well for me.

I did not know Spalding even offered a Tour level ball.  Out of curiosity, I just did a quick search and found these threads about them. Is there actually a Tour and Tour X version?  I only find SD Tour X and no information on source.  Are these Callaway's version of Dicks Maxfli Tour and Tour X?

Spalding Golf balls - Balls - MyGolfSpy Forum

New Urethane balls for $25dz!!! - Golf Balls - GolfWRX

I love these reviews.  I tried a 5 piece ball once and was not really a fan.  This information has me thinking I should try again since it has some characteristics I am looking for in a ball.

Mizuno Irons, Callaway Driver, Cleveland Wedges, Evnroll putter

I've researched more and I think I'll try the higher compression TP5x. I like a firm golf ball anyways. And after looking it up the difference between a medium and low spin is only a couple hundred rpm on a wedge shot. If that causes me to not hold greens then I have other problems.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star