TESTERS WANTED! ×

Picking MY golf ball

Hi all! I'm following the ball labs closely to try and decide on THE ball to play going forward. I've got a question I can't find an answer for and I don't want to bury the lead.

At what point (compression) does a high launch, low spin ball go from a detriment to a positive? And yes I understand this is subjective to skill level and performance expectations.

I ask this because I know the low compression balls with those qualities (Chrome Soft, Q-Star Tour) I will lose distance on full shots. And I've compared them on course to my current gamers ProV1 & Z-Star. But the TP5x and ProV1x have those same high-low attributes and are looong.

Because we've now had the first test for both of a company's premium offerings with TaylorMade. The normal TP5 seems to be right in line with my gamers 90 compression and medium launch and spin. Versus the higher compression X with high-low. Which is the better fit?

I swing a Titleist 915 X-stiff set at 12 degrees. Distance and high ball flight are not issues for me. What is gained on full shots compared to what is sacrificed around the green? I am lost in the weeds!

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

• 3 weeks later...
The ball hasn't been tested by MGS but you may want to try the OnCore Vero 1, I've heard good things
I'll look for it. Do you know much about it? I saw the OnCore Elixer test, which looks fine from a quality standpoint, but probably is too soft for my taste.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

The best thing to do is get whatever balls you are interested in and take them to course.

Work your way from the green back to the tee and the find the ball in that group that gives you the best overall results.

Some may work better for you in some areas then other so it comes down to the one that works best combines in all areas

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

10 hours ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I'll look for it. Do you know much about it? I saw the OnCore Elixer test, which looks fine from a quality standpoint, but probably is too soft for my taste.

Take Dead Aim

I haven't had a chance to try it yet waiting for the yellow version. Currently playing the Elixir and really like it. I'll try to keep in touch may be able to get you a dozen for a decent price to try. 

Driver-Honma TW747

3 wood-Tour Edge CBX 119

Irons Tour Edge EXS

Putter-SeeMore SB 20 Offset shaft

20 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The best thing to do is get whatever balls you are interested in and take them to course.

Work your way from the green back to the tee and the find the ball in that group that gives you the best overall results.

Some may work better for you in some areas then other so it comes down to the one that works best combines in all areas

That is good advice. You’ll gain more strokes with a ball you’re comfortable getting up and down with more with good wedges shots and putting. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

That is good advice. You’ll gain more strokes with a ball you’re comfortable getting up and down with more with good wedges shots and putting. 
This is why I've been playing the softer version of the tour level balls. I'm wondering what I lose, if anything, by playing the X versions. I saw another website that did a ball test a few years ago. And at least with Titleist & Srixon, the two brands I prefer, their X versions were actually tested having a higher spin rate off the wedge than the regular ProV1/Zstar.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

7 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

This is why I've been playing the softer version of the tour level balls. I'm wondering what I lose, if anything, by playing the X versions. I saw another website that did a ball test a few years ago. And at least with Titleist & Srixon, the two brands I prefer, their X versions were actually tested having a higher spin rate off the wedge than the regular ProV1/Zstar.

Take Dead Aim

I agree with that. Prov1x and xv check up more for me but feel firmer with putts. Almost like more solid. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

9 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

That's the same as the Snell MTB Black and MTB-X, the X spins a little more on shorter irons.  For the price, they're a great golf ball, certainly worth a try.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

That's the same as the Snell MTB Black and MTB-X, the X spins a little more on shorter irons.  For the price, they're a great golf ball, certainly worth a try.
There were only a few weeks left in the Ohio golf season when MGS posted the lab on the MTB-X, so I want to buy a dozen in the spring. I've been playing the Z-Stars for the same reason, with the frequent bogos Srixon runs, getting 2 doz for less than 1 doz ProV1 I can't pass up. Probably get a dozen of the Z-Star XV and the Bridgestone BX to try as well.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

I agree with that. Prov1x and xv check up more for me but feel firmer with putts. Almost like more solid. 
I tried a couple ProV1x at the end of the season. I noticed a clickier sound than I'm used to on irons and wedges. But less so on putts. I'll have to just give it a try as the season goes.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

There were only a few weeks left in the Ohio golf season

Take Dead Aim

Not to hijack the thread but keep Thunderbird North in mind. They're generally open all year as long as there isn't snow on the ground.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

24 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

I tried a couple ProV1x at the end of the season. I noticed a clickier sound than I'm used to on irons and wedges. But less so on putts. I'll have to just give it a try as the season goes.

Take Dead Aim

A playing partner handed me a sleeve of these yesterday and I played one all the way around (was able to retrieve my one splash and OB hit).  It really performed well in all aspects. One round certainly does not tell the story, but distances off the tee and iron play seemed equal to ProV1. They did feel and sound different.  Perhaps not the case for most, but I really see the need for LM setting to ferret out the best ball for me question.

Bridgestone TOUR B RX Golf Ball Review (golf-info-guide.com)

I now see these are a pretty low compression ball - considerably less than ProV1.  This leaves me questioning how much compression means for the slower swing speed players. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Not to hijack the thread but keep Thunderbird North in mind. They're generally open all year as long as there isn't snow on the ground.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Good to know if I have time to take a ride.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

A playing partner handed me a sleeve of these yesterday and I played one all the way around (was able to retrieve my one splash and OB hit).  It really performed well in all aspects. One round certainly does not tell the story, but distances off the tee and iron play seemed equal to ProV1. They did feel and sound different.  Perhaps not the case for most, but I really see the need for LM setting to ferret out the best ball for me question.
Bridgestone TOUR B RX Golf Ball Review (golf-info-guide.com)
I now see these are a pretty low compression ball - considerably less than ProV1.  This leaves me questioning how much compression means for the slower swing speed players. 
I've tried the lower compression balls and I know they don't work for me. I can tell with the Q-Star Tour, Chrome Soft, and Tour BRX I lose more than a club in distance vs. my 2 gamers, which are right around 90 per the ball labs.

That what caused me to create this thread. The higher compression X balls have the same high launch-low spin characteristics as the low compression balls. So I was questioning am I losing performance due to low compression or to the launch/spin design.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim