TESTERS WANTED! ×

Question on Mizuno Wedges

So, I must admit I've never tried any but 2021 I'm due for wedge replacements.  Currently playing a combo of Taylormades and Callaway wedges (50-54-58), but I'm curious if the Mizuno wedges are anywhere near as amazing as their irons?  Having switched to the 919's this year I'm keen to know what other's have experienced good or bad... Definitely would help me consider which wedges I go out and test.  

And of course when there's a Golf Club question, where else would anyone go but to My Golf Spy and the Forum community for answers!! 

Thank you in advance for any conversation on the topic. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

Mizuno t20 wedges are really nice. What are you looking to change with your wedges? Are you happy with the bounce options? Mizuno this year also released a new wedge. I haven’t tried that one yet but Mizuno makes quality products. If you custom order, they have a lot of no upcharge shafts and grips. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

I had the S18s in satin (52, 58) and absolutely loved them. Just a dream. The 52 in particular was so versatile and I actively looked for opportunities to use it.

Loved them so much I took advantage of a deal on a 50, 54, 58 set of S18s but in blue ion and hate them. The 50 was impossible to hit and the 54 and 58 are functional, but I don't love them. They are noticeably firmer than the satins and I already play a firm ball... Now in the process of getting a set of SM7s, even though my blue ions only have about 40 rounds on them.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

5 hours ago, BNewton51 said:

So, I must admit I've never tried any but 2021 I'm due for wedge replacements.  Currently playing a combo of Taylormades and Callaway wedges (50-54-58), but I'm curious if the Mizuno wedges are anywhere near as amazing as their irons?  Having switched to the 919's this year I'm keen to know what other's have experienced good or bad... Definitely would help me consider which wedges I go out and test.  

And of course when there's a Golf Club question, where else would anyone go but to My Golf Spy and the Forum community for answers!! 

Thank you in advance for any conversation on the topic. 

@BNewton51 I have tested every wedge out there... and not just at the PGA store I have tested them with multiple shafts grinds lie angles you name it...

a wedge fitting is different than others because I feel it needs more than just LM numbers... you need to see how it reacts to different bunker shots sitting up in the rough sitting down... take into account where you play mostly...factor in your skill level etc. honestly after the ball and putter wedges are the next most important in my opinion... then driver... everything is equal but almost every hole you will use the ball (more than one sometimes) a putter and a wedge...

this will lead you towards the grind in the fit which is the most important factor, but of course skill plays a part in this as well. I personally switched to the T20 for reasons that were specific to me I have a 46/48/50/54/56/58/60 of the T20 but my most common setup is 46/50/56/60 at the moment. Mizuno does not have as many grinds as vokey but they do not charge for a raw finish so you could send them to someone who knows how to grind them... not sure how you feel about your wedge game, but the es21 came out and even though it is not forged it feels like a Mizuno... I am happy to provide more information. If you want it, as to how I landed on the t20. That being said there is a reason vokey is on top and that’s because of the grind selection which is numero uno... let me know what else you are looking for!

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer

Don’t sleep on the Maltby TSW wedges. I got fit into the T20, but the up charge on the build was bit too much. The Maltby is also forged and felt the same and performed the same. I got the shaft and build specs from the Golfworks custom shop for 1/2 what I would have paid for the Mizuno. 

WITB

TS2 10.5 

M2 3HL

Mavrik Max 5W

Titleist 818 4 hybrid 

Mizuno JPX921 HMP 5-Gap

Mizuno S19 56

Maltby TSW 60

Bobby Grace Shiloh putter

2 hours ago, Rchang said:

Don’t sleep on the Maltby TSW wedges. I got fit into the T20, but the up charge on the build was bit too much. The Maltby is also forged and felt the same and performed the same. I got the shaft and build specs from the Golfworks custom shop for 1/2 what I would have paid for the Mizuno. 

@Rchang question was about Mizuno wedges not promoting maltby irons and wedges... you clearly must have gone to club champion for your fit... Mizuno charges nothing for raw finish numerous shafts and grips... grinding options...depending on the shop... head only account can sell you the wedge with stamping any shaft almost for less than $149.99 retail... also feel is subjective, but what is not is performance... the T20 is second only to ping in spin retention when the ball or face is wet... I am not sure of your ball striking abilities but if you are a poor ball striker the performance might be the same. How many college or tour pros at any level have the maltby wedge in their bag? I don’t know the answer but I would guess 0... why because performance is important to them... @BNewton51 if you care about your game do not listen to anyone who suggest the maltby wedge...  @Chip Strokes what is with all the maltby fanboys lately?

16 hours ago, LeftyMatt89 said:

Mizuno t20 wedges are really nice. What are you looking to change with your wedges? Are you happy with the bounce options? Mizuno this year also released a new wedge. I haven’t tried that one yet but Mizuno makes quality products. If you custom order, they have a lot of no upcharge shafts and grips. 

Well, in all honesty I play wedges for 2 seasons.  By then, I like to get a fresh set in the bag to maximize grooves and playability.  Outside of this coming up on my 2 year mark and time to replace, there isn't much I'd say of a reason outside of that to replace.  

That said, the bounce options seem to be pretty universally offered between what I am currently playing and what Mizuno has to offer.  Head shapes are a bit different tbh, but outside of that the grinds are all fairly close, or can easily be rectified with a hand grinder! 😄  My curiosity though being a newbie to the mizuno line of clubs is do the wedges feel as good as the irons.  That, and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be more consistent for me playing the irons now to flow right into matching wedges from the same manufacturer.  

In all, though, it'll be a tough sell because I've gotten extremely good results from the brands I currently game.  

BNewt51

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

13 hours ago, greggarner said:

I had the S18s in satin (52, 58) and absolutely loved them. Just a dream. The 52 in particular was so versatile and I actively looked for opportunities to use it.

Loved them so much I took advantage of a deal on a 50, 54, 58 set of S18s but in blue ion and hate them. The 50 was impossible to hit and the 54 and 58 are functional, but I don't love them. They are noticeably firmer than the satins and I already play a firm ball... Now in the process of getting a set of SM7s, even though my blue ions only have about 40 rounds on them.

hmmm that's interesting because that's the second time I heard that comment.  (firmer)  Seems rather interesting to me considering they talk about them being forged, so one would logically think they feel the same as their irons.  The blue ion ones are rather unique looking but I'm not so sure about them.  I was considering the T-20 Raws in 50-54-58 to replace my three gamers I currently run.  Obviously I'll be trying them and possibly doing a mini-fitting to see if they give me better numbers, but that was initially what peaked my curious research.  Though, I will fully admit the newest Mizuno wedge has no visual appeal to me.  Looks too balloon'y to me.  

I rocked the SM7's when they first launched.  You can't go wrong with Titleist's but I just never felt they fit me so I switched out of them rather quickly.  I'm sure though they will probably offer different results for you if you're a fan of Vokey's.  I just never was a fan and got talked into them when I purchased them. 

BNewt51

10 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

@BNewton51 I have tested every wedge out there... and not just at the PGA store I have tested them with multiple shafts grinds lie angles you name it...

a wedge fitting is different than others because I feel it needs more than just LM numbers... you need to see how it reacts to different bunker shots sitting up in the rough sitting down... take into account where you play mostly...factor in your skill level etc. honestly after the ball and putter wedges are the next most important in my opinion... then driver... everything is equal but almost every hole you will use the ball (more than one sometimes) a putter and a wedge...

this will lead you towards the grind in the fit which is the most important factor, but of course skill plays a part in this as well. I personally switched to the T20 for reasons that were specific to me I have a 46/48/50/54/56/58/60 of the T20 but my most common setup is 46/50/56/60 at the moment. Mizuno does not have as many grinds as vokey but they do not charge for a raw finish so you could send them to someone who knows how to grind them... not sure how you feel about your wedge game, but the es21 came out and even though it is not forged it feels like a Mizuno... I am happy to provide more information. If you want it, as to how I landed on the t20. That being said there is a reason vokey is on top and that’s because of the grind selection which is numero uno... let me know what else you are looking for!

Outstanding Manimal!  

That information was most helpful.  And in particular because I was and am interested in testing out the T20 line.   My set up now (50 MG2 8*, 54 10.5* Jaws, and 58 8* MG2) all function fairly well.  I can lay them open, play a number of different shots, play them low or high as needed and etc.  Because my short game is what often times saves my bacon, wedge set up is fairly important to me.  

I'm at the end of my 2 year cycle, I replace wedges every two years because with the amount of practice and play I do throughout the year it's time from a groove perspective at that point, and am considering options.  Obviously, the MG2 was an intriguing club to me when it came out and frankly they play wonderful from the rough and even the sand.  The Jaws, there again that 54 was tested and it just stood out as an absolute versatile monster for me.   So I can't say that I hate what I have in the bag, but cycle time and the fact that I just converted to the 919 tours I'm curious what Mizuno has to offer from a wedge set up perspective. 

I've never been one to be a brand guy.  My bag is fairly agnostic as I'm currently rocking 6 different brands throughout the club make up.  But as some have alluded too, the Driver, Wedge, Putter and Balls have ALWAYS been the most important aspect of a gamer setup for me.  Those are the clubs you hit almost on every hole, well not driver but I hope you know what I mean.  Ball, well that's every hole.  So being that the wedges are in my view extremely important you can see why I am researching other opinions. 

Do you find that you can hit the required shots with them?  Spin is relative, but do you find that it's fairly consistent and controllable? You mention the Vokey, so what made you go with the Mizuno set up and not the Vokey ones?

Thank you for your input Brotha!  Greatly appreciated. 

BNewt51

3 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

@Rchang question was about Mizuno wedges not promoting maltby irons and wedges... you clearly must have gone to club champion for your fit... Mizuno charges nothing for raw finish numerous shafts and grips... grinding options...depending on the shop... head only account can sell you the wedge with stamping any shaft almost for less than $149.99 retail... also feel is subjective, but what is not is performance... the T20 is second only to ping in spin retention when the ball or face is wet... I am not sure of your ball striking abilities but if you are a poor ball striker the performance might be the same. How many college or tour pros at any level have the maltby wedge in their bag? I don’t know the answer but I would guess 0... why because performance is important to them... @BNewton51 if you care about your game do not listen to anyone who suggest the maltby wedge...  @Chip Strokes what is with all the maltby fanboys lately?

😄 Definitely appreciate the feedback from all.  I will say, Maltby might be a good club.  It might perform for a lot of folks very well.  However, I'm just interested in the Mizuno at this point IF I do make a change.  Because the TM MG2 and Callaway Jaws are both amazing wedges, in my opinion, and have performed well for me.  Ultimately, I will test out the Mizuno's before I buy them, but if I don't go that route I'll just buy new ones of the same models to replace the ones I have.  

I would also add that for me, I'm VERY picky about feel and look.  Feel is pretty much the cornerstone of my game.  I'm not one of those people, sometimes I wish I was, that is more precision and no feel bias.  So when I look at clubs I'm at first glance making sure the "curb appeal" comes off right to me, then it's all about the feel and the numbers the return.  If I can't take a 54 and feel a 60 or a 110 yard shot with them, they simply wont be considered.  I know it's probably all mental, but as you even said Manimal previously, wedges and putters to me are some of the most subjective and personal feel decisions we make in our gamers.  

I will say though I see a lot of Maltby and Sub70 comments in the forums.  They must be doing something right because people are definitely keen on them. 

BNewt51

31 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

I'm sure though they will probably offer different results for you if you're a fan of Vokey's.  I just never was a fan and got talked into them when I purchased them. 

I had never hit them before until another MGS'er sold me his 50 and I figured it would be easy to re-sell if I didn't like it. It was love at first swing and now I'm buying his other two Vokeys as well 😆

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

1 minute ago, greggarner said:

I had never hit them before until another MGS'er sold me his 50 and I figured it would be easy to re-sell if I didn't like it. It was love at first swing and now I'm buying his other two Vokeys as well 😆

Nice!  I'm glad to hear they are working for you.  I hope you play well with them. 

BNewt51

3 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

4 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

😄 Definitely appreciate the feedback from all.  I will say, Maltby might be a good club.  It might perform for a lot of folks very well.  However, I'm just interested in the Mizuno at this point IF I do make a change. 

Us Maltby Fanboys are an excitable and extremely enthusiastic bunch so forgive us. I'll chime in with "look at Maltby" when it's a general question about clubs and I definitely appreciate that this is a Mizuno-specific question so I'll hold off on suggesting Maltby. 

We just all feel like we've got a treasure chest filled with gold that we want to share with the world.. but because it's not in a currency that most recognize, somehow it's holds no value and that gets us down sometimes. We just want to share 🙂 

4 hours ago, Manimal26 said:

How many college or tour pros at any level have the maltby wedge in their bag? I don’t know the answer but I would guess 0... why because performance is important to them... @BNewton51 if you care about your game do not listen to anyone who suggest the maltby wedge...

This is another topic for another day

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

55 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

Though, I will fully admit the newest Mizuno wedge has no visual appeal to me.

@BNewton51I will be honest this was my first reaction but the stronger the loft gets the shaping becomes better. I put my pride aside and set purchasing set performance metrics and subjective metrics for myself because its different for everyone (feel workability etc). Price vs. Requirement metrics (Upcharges etc to get correct setup)(also only used once I whittled down) finally I removed any and all aesthetics. I will go into that in more detail after I give a bit of a back story as to why pricing was important only after I had serious contenders.  

1 hour ago, BNewton51 said:

hmmm that's interesting because that's the second time I heard that comment.  (firmer)  Seems rather interesting to me considering they talk about them being forged, so one would logically think they feel the same as their irons.  The blue ion ones are rather unique looking but I'm not so sure about them.  I was considering the T-20 Raws in 50-54-58 to replace my three gamers I currently run.  Obviously I'll be trying them and possibly doing a mini-fitting to see if they give me better numbers, but that was initially what peaked my curious research.  Though, I will fully admit the newest Mizuno wedge has no visual appeal to me.  Looks too balloon'y to me.  

I rocked the SM7's when they first launched.  You can't go wrong with Titleist's but I just never felt they fit me so I switched out of them rather quickly.  I'm sure though they will probably offer different results for you if you're a fan of Vokey's.  I just never was a fan and got talked into them when I purchased them. 

plating 100% changes feel and you will see how the SM8 got eliminated because of this. As it sounds like you have a bit of skill so stay away from the es21...

58 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

That information was most helpful.  And in particular because I was and am interested in testing out the T20 line.   My set up now (50 MG2 8*, 54 10.5* Jaws, and 58 8* MG2) all function fairly well.  I can lay them open, play a number of different shots, play them low or high as needed and etc.  Because my short game is what often times saves my bacon, wedge set up is fairly important to me.  

I'm at the end of my 2 year cycle, I replace wedges every two years because with the amount of practice and play I do throughout the year it's time from a groove perspective at that point, and am considering options. 

@BNewton51 So this reason is why I created my scoring system. I burn through wedges replace every year or sooner sometimes...

58 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

But as some have alluded too, the Driver, Wedge, Putter and Balls have ALWAYS been the most important aspect of a gamer setup for me.  Those are the clubs you hit almost on every hole, well not driver but I hope you know what I mean.  Ball, well that's every hole.  So being that the wedges are in my view extremely important you can see why I am researching other opinions. 

Do you find that you can hit the required shots with them?  Spin is relative, but do you find that it's fairly consistent and controllable? You mention the Vokey, so what made you go with the Mizuno set up and not the Vokey ones?

Thank you for your input Brotha!  Greatly appreciated. 

For me in order of most importance it goes putter Wedges driver then ball and honestly the gap between putter and wedges is not that big but the gap between wedges and driver is huge. Shots required are based off the lie turf conditions, but for my standard home course wedge setup I have zero issue. I am older by 15 years in the tournaments I play in (34) and I am not bad with a driver, but these kids man its unreal so I have to be able to stick and score or recover if I want to have any kind of chance... Ex. last tourney was a par 70 7700 yards 

6 minutes ago, Manimal26 said:

plating 100% changes feel and you will see how the SM8 got eliminated because of this. As it sounds like you have a bit of skill so stay away from the es21...

yes, I've already discounted that one.  Just looks to amazingly chunky and like a balloon at the end of a stick when I look at it.  Now, it may very well be playable and help a LOT of people, but I think at lower handicaps that's not something we're looking for.  We are 100% focused on feel and performance. 

BNewt51

57 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

😄 Definitely appreciate the feedback from all.  I will say, Maltby might be a good club.  It might perform for a lot of folks very well.  However, I'm just interested in the Mizuno at this point IF I do make a change.  Because the TM MG2 and Callaway Jaws are both amazing wedges, in my opinion, and have performed well for me.  Ultimately, I will test out the Mizuno's before I buy them, but if I don't go that route I'll just buy new ones of the same models to replace the ones I have.  

I would also add that for me, I'm VERY picky about feel and look.  Feel is pretty much the cornerstone of my game.  I'm not one of those people, sometimes I wish I was, that is more precision and no feel bias.  So when I look at clubs I'm at first glance making sure the "curb appeal" comes off right to me, then it's all about the feel and the numbers the return.  If I can't take a 54 and feel a 60 or a 110 yard shot with them, they simply wont be considered.  I know it's probably all mental, but as you even said Manimal previously, wedges and putters to me are some of the most subjective and personal feel decisions we make in our gamers.  

I will say though I see a lot of Maltby and Sub70 comments in the forums.  They must be doing something right because people are definitely keen on them. 

you are nicer than me... I am so tired of all these Maltby and Sub70 fanboys telling people they need their clubs so they can validate their buying decision. If they were good clubs people would be using them at even the mid-am tournament level... Still never seen one

1 minute ago, BNewton51 said:

yes, I've already discounted that one.  Just looks to amazingly chunky and like a balloon at the end of a stick when I look at it.  Now, it may very well be playable and help a LOT of people, but I think at lower handicaps that's not something we're looking for.  We are 100% focused on feel and performance. 

starting to type the system

4 minutes ago, Manimal26 said:

@BNewton51 So this reason is why I created my scoring system. I burn through wedges replace every year or sooner sometimes...

For me in order of most importance it goes putter Wedges driver then ball and honestly the gap between putter and wedges is not that big but the gap between wedges and driver is huge.

You and I see things exactly the same!  Putter isn't something I switch out unless, well I don't switch out. 😄  Which in part is a lie, but style wise I don't switch out.  Learned that lesson when I tried to switch from my Newport style putters to the spider putter for a season.  Dropped my overall scoring and putting averages tremendously in that one season.  Just can NOT put with a mallet style putter.  

And yes, wedges are something I definitely focus on after that.  Driver, well we all know distance only helps, but controllable with distance is key.  And for the most part on any given hole those three aspects (putter, wedge and driver) are probably the key components of anything you're going to play. 

BNewt51

35 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Us Maltby Fanboys are an excitable and extremely enthusiastic bunch so forgive us. I'll chime in with "look at Maltby" when it's a general question about clubs and I definitely appreciate that this is a Mizuno-specific question so I'll hold off on suggesting Maltby. 

We just all feel like we've got a treasure chest filled with gold that we want to share with the world.. but because it's not in a currency that most recognize, somehow it's holds no value and that gets us down sometimes. We just want to share 🙂 

This is another topic for another day

@azstu324 & ill ask @Chip Strokes to join in since he is newer to golf but what treasure chest???? you just said you only chime in in a general questions and said you would hold off and then went on your fanboy way and started promoting Maltby.... there is nothing to share nobody wants it....

As far as the topic for another day today is that day!

Just now, Manimal26 said:

you are nicer than me... I am so tired of all these Maltby and Sub70 fanboys telling people they need their clubs so they can validate their buying decision. If they were good clubs people would be using them at even the mid-am tournament level... Still never seen one

starting to type the system

Everyone is looking for that magic formula or piece of equipment that no one knows about... and once they find it they start hooting and hollaring about it.  BUT to your point, yes if they were top brands I think you pointed out the obvious.  They obviously have a market and a player-type that fits their brand, but I would agree that they are definitely NOT for everyone.  

Typically, though, I will not go in on anyone who loves their brands.  You and I are probably fairly similar in that we have our brands that we love and we have very substantial and partial reasons for that.  Probably would be better received by many of the "fanboys" as you called them if they just said for me this was a great purchase, checks all the boxes and I'd definitely recommend them to anyone who is willing to give them a shot.  But they would have to caveat that with the "They aren't for everyone and if you're at a certain playing ability they might not be worth you taking a look..."  though I'm sure those brands have copied some major brands and created something for the players too... I just wouldn't be one who is interested in finding out.  Like you say. 

BNewt51

@BNewton51 the only wedges I have ever had until my previous set were vokey's. never deviated just replaced. The last vokey set I played was a 52/F 8 56/D 12 60?M 8... They worked and my coach has never been one to mess with my equipment. However the story is not important, but I was able to get a tour fitting with him for Ping at a huge discount I am talking production cost + shipping. I got the G410 LST driver 3&4H (still in my bag) and a 50/52/56/60 set of glide forged wedges with actual fitted wedge shafts. I did not like any of the irons or the regular wedges, but you talk about curb appeal the forged felt amazing because all I have ever known was the click of the vokey... I never checked how much they cost at retail until they started to wear down and I noticed shots were being altered. holy smokes the wedges were $199.99 each and another $30 for the shafts and tax was over $1000 and I can not get the deal I got again. Thus began my quest.

For ref:

52/10 stock shot 125 yards (3/4 swing) 138ish (full swing) (very rare must be a front pin type deal and no false front) also play a little 100 yard super low around 9k spin drop and stopper and I chip with it

56/10 stock shot (3/4 swing) 110 yard and work my way down the clock to about 80 yards until that become my 3/4 swing with the 60/8 and I am in situations where lie pin location etc become more important.

52 playing at 35.75" DG TI X100

56/60 each -1/4" DG TI s400

all lies at 62 deg

14 minutes ago, Manimal26 said:

@azstu324 & ill ask @Chip Strokes to join in since he is newer to golf but what treasure chest???? you just said you only chime in in a general questions and said you would hold off and then went on your fanboy way and started promoting Maltby.... there is nothing to share nobody wants it....

As far as the topic for another day today is that day!

This is quickly turning non MGS and pro WRX.. so I'll respectfully bow out. I'm quite comfortable with my situation so no need to flex back. 

@BNewton51 sorry for the shade man. Your thread doesn't deserve this. I was just trying bring some understanding to our misunderstood group. Definitely not trying to hijack your goodness. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

@BNewton51 the only wedges I have ever had until my previous set were vokey's. never deviated just replaced. The last vokey set I played was a 52/F 8 56/D 12 60?M 8... They worked and my coach has never been one to mess with my equipment. However the story is not important, but I was able to get a tour fitting with him for Ping at a huge discount I am talking production cost + shipping. I got the G410 LST driver 3&4H (still in my bag) and a 50/52/56/60 set of glide forged wedges with actual fitted wedge shafts. I did not like any of the irons or the regular wedges, but you talk about curb appeal the forged felt amazing because all I have ever known was the click of the vokey... I never checked how much they cost at retail until they started to wear down and I noticed shots were being altered. holy smokes the wedges were $199.99 each and another $30 for the shafts and tax was over $1000 and I can not get the deal I got again. Thus began my quest.

For ref:

52/10 stock shot 125 yards (3/4 swing) 138ish (full swing) (very rare must be a front pin type deal and no false front) also play a little 100 yard super low around 9k spin drop and stopper and I chip with it

56/10 stock shot (3/4 swing) 110 yard and work my way down the clock to about 80 yards until that become my 3/4 swing with the 60/8 and I am in situations where lie pin location etc become more important.

52 playing at 35.75" DG TI X100

56/60 each -1/4" DG TI s400

all lies at 62 deg

I think I'd be making another call to the coach and seeing if he can get you hooked up again! 😄  wow that is quite the deal because those wedges are outrageous at $199 a piece.  Though, I must admit I haven't hit a ping wedge since the old eye-2 wedge that frankly I still contend might have been one of the best and most consistent wedges that I've ever played.  

Looks like we're pretty similar in lengths and shot type/approach.  I rarely hit my wedges full on because if I do, I can surely count on them coming back off the green false front or otherwise! lol  But I'm in the same bucket:

50 - 80% is about a 115-20 full on about 130/5 with zip that's just uncontrollable. 

54/10.5 Jaws - 80% is about 100-105 full on would be around 110-115 with again uncontrollable zip. 

58/8 - Will put me anywhere from 85-90 down... Just working the clock.  BUT my 58 is more utilized for around the green from 40 yards in.  I rarely hit that club outside of that because I view it as truly a specialty type wedge.  

My thing with wedges, which is why I think I must test these mizunos out comes down to a couple points:

1. For the price, you can't argue with them compared to other brands. 

2. Having made the plunge into mizuno land there's some obvious curiosity there for me to explore them. 

3. The cycle time I spoke of previously has run it's course.  2 years is the max I will wait to replace a wedge.  As frequently as I practice and play I burn through wedges like mad.  even at the 2 year point I know I'm starting to flirt with the whole flyer, slider and all around funky performance starting to appear.  

I do like your approach though.  Seems to match up with much of what I am currently doing already so I enjoy that. 

BNewt51

Just now, azstu324 said:

This is quickly turning non MGS and pro WRX.. so I'll respectfully bow out. I'm quite comfortable with my situation so no need to flex back. 

@BNewton51 sorry for the shade man. Your thread doesn't deserve this. I was just trying bring some understanding to our misunderstood group. Definitely not trying to hijack your goodness. 

Nothing but love her brotha!  I completely understood and commented to that in my previous posts.  I love when players dig their brands and gamers and fully support them.  That's what we are SUPPOSE to do as golfers really.  I didn't take anything negative and hope no offense was taken.  I just enjoy the banter about something I'm passionate about with folks that are equally as passionate.  

Keep playing them brotha! And play well. 

BNewt51

@BNewton51 My next set had to be the closest in performance for cost to the glide forged. Could I do the same things Did the new ones have any other benefits.

So I tested every single wedge you could name out there except the rack model whatever zipcores since they were not out yet. Spin / launch angle and could I do super high launch low spinners to land soft and could I do super low high spinners. of course each wedge had its own indvidual requirements such as opening the face bunker ability etc... Then the most important test the wet wedge test... How much spin is lost when the ball and or face is wet. If you have not seen the test let me know and I will send you a link... I play in Texas and in really anytime of the year in the morning the dew and moisture on the course can be intense.

Testing to match Ping GF numbers the Zipcore and T/20 actually got me natural lower ball flights and a tad more spin with out adding any loft the Cobra MiM was around the same and vokey was close enough I knew once it was raw and that plating was gone it would be close

The MiM felt great actually, but its not a players wedge and not super versatile... but I give cobra credit for trying to break into this space.

All of the others now were close so I looked pricing Vokey for my specs $250/per wedge Cleveland and Mizuno $149.99 Vokey was also the worst feeling now and after gaming the glide forged the click drove me crazy, but went to the wet wedge test. 

I knew coming in this was going to be the deciding factor it was close between the other 2. The mizzy felt better than the GF but wedges feel different than irons because they are not irons 😄... The need to be more durable have different groves etc so I will say if you want a wedge that feels like a mizuno 7i your going to have to hit the JDM market. The Clevland's shaping and numbers were much better... 

The wet wedge test.... Vokey stunk one of the worst... Ping was the best.... the only wedge even close to retaining spin was the Mizuno and its something new with the T20... has some fancy marketing mumbo jumbo but it works. I bought them and could not have happier. went with a 50/7 56/14 and 60/10 but I have added the low bounce version of the 56 & 60 along with many others because I was able to get 7 wedges for still less than the cost of the ping by $300 or so... 

I got them in the raw finish so I could adjust the grind more towards what I need (vokey did win this that D & M grind are great but for the price I would have rather of stayed with the ping) and that way it would all be rusty not just the part grinded down cant stand that look.

Hopefully this helps you out some and happy to answer anymore questions

1 minute ago, Manimal26 said:

@BNewton51 My next set had to be the closest in performance for cost to the glide forged. Could I do the same things Did the new ones have any other benefits.

So I tested every single wedge you could name out there except the rack model whatever zipcores since they were not out yet. Spin / launch angle and could I do super high launch low spinners to land soft and could I do super low high spinners. of course each wedge had its own indvidual requirements such as opening the face bunker ability etc... Then the most important test the wet wedge test... How much spin is lost when the ball and or face is wet. If you have not seen the test let me know and I will send you a link... I play in Texas and in really anytime of the year in the morning the dew and moisture on the course can be intense.

Testing to match Ping GF numbers the Zipcore and T/20 actually got me natural lower ball flights and a tad more spin with out adding any loft the Cobra MiM was around the same and vokey was close enough I knew once it was raw and that plating was gone it would be close

The MiM felt great actually, but its not a players wedge and not super versatile... but I give cobra credit for trying to break into this space.

All of the others now were close so I looked pricing Vokey for my specs $250/per wedge Cleveland and Mizuno $149.99 Vokey was also the worst feeling now and after gaming the glide forged the click drove me crazy, but went to the wet wedge test. 

I knew coming in this was going to be the deciding factor it was close between the other 2. The mizzy felt better than the GF but wedges feel different than irons because they are not irons 😄... The need to be more durable have different groves etc so I will say if you want a wedge that feels like a mizuno 7i your going to have to hit the JDM market. The Clevland's shaping and numbers were much better... 

The wet wedge test.... Vokey stunk one of the worst... Ping was the best.... the only wedge even close to retaining spin was the Mizuno and its something new with the T20... has some fancy marketing mumbo jumbo but it works. I bought them and could not have happier. went with a 50/7 56/14 and 60/10 but I have added the low bounce version of the 56 & 60 along with many others because I was able to get 7 wedges for still less than the cost of the ping by $300 or so... 

I got them in the raw finish so I could adjust the grind more towards what I need (vokey did win this that D & M grind are great but for the price I would have rather of stayed with the ping) and that way it would all be rusty not just the part grinded down cant stand that look.

Hopefully this helps you out some and happy to answer anymore questions

Perfect Brotha!  I appreciate the details.  I'm going to set up some time to do testing.  Playing predominantly in the North East, wet is something we are fairly familiar with.  Dew, Rain, all around soggy conditions... you name it. So I definitely appreciate the bits about water testing.  I don't know that I've particularly focused on that so much as I do on the launch, versatility and spin properties.  But the water tests definitely are something I need to be more vigilant about.  

As I say, feel will be the winner for me.  I know what I'm getting out of what I play currently.  However, if I can test these Mizuno's and throw in perhaps the raw versions of the Clevelands I may have a full test boat.  I've already ruled out the Vokeys because for me, while they do have more grinds etc, they just are too hard and don't offer me that feel i'm looking for.  

And great point about the wedge feel versus the irons.  Definitely not looking for them to be the exact same, but as I say I'm new to the Mizuno iron family.  I know I know, late to the party most will say.  They truly have a very accurate designation in nothing feels like them.  But where I was going with that is I don't think there's a wedge out there that will feel like the irons but close would be an amazing find.  Being more of a feel player as I said earlier that's truly what I'm looking for, outside the ultimate goal being performance of course. 

Thanks again for all your input brotha!  Greatly appreciated. 

BNewt51

3 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

Perfect Brotha!  I appreciate the details.  I'm going to set up some time to do testing.  Playing predominantly in the North East, wet is something we are fairly familiar with.  Dew, Rain, all around soggy conditions... you name it. So I definitely appreciate the bits about water testing.  I don't know that I've particularly focused on that so much as I do on the launch, versatility and spin properties.  But the water tests definitely are something I need to be more vigilant about.  

As I say, feel will be the winner for me.  I know what I'm getting out of what I play currently.  However, if I can test these Mizuno's and throw in perhaps the raw versions of the Clevelands I may have a full test boat.  I've already ruled out the Vokeys because for me, while they do have more grinds etc, they just are too hard and don't offer me that feel i'm looking for.  

And great point about the wedge feel versus the irons.  Definitely not looking for them to be the exact same, but as I say I'm new to the Mizuno iron family.  I know I know, late to the party most will say.  They truly have a very accurate designation in nothing feels like them.  But where I was going with that is I don't think there's a wedge out there that will feel like the irons but close would be an amazing find.  Being more of a feel player as I said earlier that's truly what I'm looking for, outside the ultimate goal being performance of course. 

Here is the link to the original... when you see the LM numbers you will be shocked...

8 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

Mizuno was not the best feeling it was it was 2nd for me... the Mirua was in real I knew how much they cost but did it anyway... huge mistake... I would def be curious to here your feed back and selection process...

also you’re welcome hope it had some value minus the Maltby people always pushing their agenda...

Mizuno was not the best feeling it was it was 2nd for me... the Mirua was in real I knew how much they cost but did it anyway... huge mistake... I would def be curious to here your feed back and selection process 

Yea, I had planned on posting a review of my testing experience with all the wedges I bring in for 2021 and the choice I make.  I'll actually be testing this weekend, finally a break in the action before the next phase of holiday madness hits. Mirua and Srixon are two brands some of my local equipment nerd / hoooos like me favor as well.  Mirua is far to expensive that I just can't justify them in my mind per club and well Srixon I just never had any luck in "loving". 

I'll probably have something posted up early next week.  Stay tuned. 

BNewt51