Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Tour Pros changing OEMS for 2021

GolfSpy MPR

Hearing buzz online this morning that Jon Rahm is headed to Callaway. The TXG guys were expressing a bit of concern; apparently, Rahm isn't an equipment tinkerer (he's kept the same driver shaft for years), and so they're wondering how a full bag swap might affect a guy who was world number 1 this season.

Any other news on pros changing gear this offseason?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Hearing buzz online this morning that Jon Rahm is headed to Callaway. The TXG guys were expressing a bit of concern; apparently, Rahm isn't an equipment tinkerer (he's kept the same driver shaft for years), and so they're wondering how a full bag swap might affect a guy who was world number 1 this season.

Any other news on pros changing gear this offseason?

saw this last night rumor he was wearing the travis mathew shirt or hat and maybe the Cuater shoes ???...seems odd 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

It'$ not uncommon for top golfer$ to $witch brand$ while at the top of their game$. David Duval did it with Nike, Phil with Callaway.  Rory and TW left Titlei$t. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

46 minutes ago, bens197 said:

It'$ not uncommon for top golfer$ to $witch brand$ while at the top of their game$. David Duval did it with Nike, Phil with Callaway.  Rory and TW left Titlei$t. 

Hey @bens197, I think the 's' key on your keyboard is broken. Why the need for the dollar signs? 😉

If the Rahm rumor is true, just remember what happened to the last Spaniard to make that jump Jon...

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

16 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Hey @bens197, I think the 's' key on your keyboard is broken. Why the need for the dollar signs? 😉

If the Rahm rumor is true, just remember what happened to the last Spaniard to make that jump Jon...

ok...jokes aside...what @GolfSpy MPR brought up is a legit question. 

Rahm’s 750’s could be closely replicated with an XForged but is it out of the realm of possibility that they do a complete mock of his current irons and stamp Callaway on the back?

Ill be honest I don’t follow Jon that much to guess where he’d struggle with a new bag.  Irons are a lot easier to mimick.  On the other hand, the aesthetics of a TM v Mavrik are near opposite ends of the spectrum.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

5 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Rahm’s 750’s could be closely replicated with an XForged but is it out of the realm of possibility that they do a complete mock of his current irons and stamp Callaway on the back?

Ill be honest I don’t follow Jon that much to guess where he’d struggle with a new bag.  Irons are a lot easier to mimick.  On the other hand, the aesthetics of a TM v Mavrik are near opposite ends of the spectrum.

I think the biggest change would be the ball, right? Rahm doesn't strike me as a tinkerer of equipment, but he also doesn't strike me as someone who would be super specific as to looks, maybe feels, but not looks. 

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

Just now, Berg Ryman said:

I think the biggest change would be the ball, right? Rahm doesn't strike me as a tinkerer of equipment, but he also doesn't strike me as someone who would be super specific as to looks, maybe feels, but not looks. 

Probably, though my understanding is that Callaway (perhaps more than any other OEM) has a variety short-run, Tour-only balls for its guys.

(Because the ChromeSoft is slow.) This is from the MGS article on the release of the 2020 Chrome Soft; I haven't read updates that speak to how many of their Tour Staff did end up adopting the Chrome Soft X that is available at retail:

image.png

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

19 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

The ball is what broke the relationship between Sergio and Callaway. The Callaway ball didn’t work for Sergio and he wasn’t going to play it under contract and went back to TM ball for awhile.

Rahm did switch to TM ball after a testing session and even with the wind performed better for him than Titleist. He is one that doesn’t like to switch from what works

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

50 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Probably, though my understanding is that Callaway (perhaps more than any other OEM) has a variety short-run, Tour-only balls for its guys.

(Because the ChromeSoft is slow.) This is from the MGS article on the release of the 2020 Chrome Soft; I haven't read updates that speak to how many of their Tour Staff did end up adopting the Chrome Soft X that is available at retail:

image.png

32 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The ball is what broke the relationship between Sergio and Callaway. The Callaway ball didn’t work for Sergio and he wasn’t going to play it under contract and went back to TM ball for awhile.

Rahm did switch to TM ball after a testing session and even with the wind performed better for him than Titleist. He is one that doesn’t like to switch from what works

See, this sounds the alarm for me. I'm sure Callaway can come up with something on the secret tour only truck for Rahm or any player if he makes that move, but that's where seemingly everyone finds that struggle. I remember Bubba being out in the wilderness with Volvik, Sergio complaining about the Callaway ball. Hell, I know Rickie made the TM switch for this season, but he hasn't been great since making the switch either, although he's probably sold a lot of Pix balls.

SIK Golf Flo-C

46 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

See, this sounds the alarm for me. I'm sure Callaway can come up with something on the secret tour only truck for Rahm or any player if he makes that move, but that's where seemingly everyone finds that struggle. I remember Bubba being out in the wilderness with Volvik, Sergio complaining about the Callaway ball. Hell, I know Rickie made the TM switch for this season, but he hasn't been great since making the switch either, although he's probably sold a lot of Pix balls.

Imagine being so shortsighted in the grand scheme by holding a 14 club contract hostage by a ball. Margins are slim and honestly, does the average consumer even know or care about the ball?

Every Sunday we’ll see a Callaway Staff bag with Rahm’s name and that will do more for their brand regardless of what ball he plays. 

If I were Callaway I’d say play whatever ball you want if it means you’re swinging our clubs. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

48 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Rickie’s problem Isn’t the ball. Rickie is living the happy married life plus making some swing adjustments again. Rickies swing requires lots of things to go well and if he’s just a little off he affects everything. Unfortunately for him he’s also found some struggles on the green which was usually his saving grace. He even switched up putters to try and find something

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 minute ago, bens197 said:

Imagine being so shortsighted in the grand scheme by holding a 14 club contract hostage by a ball. Margins are slim and honestly, does the average consumer even know or care about the ball?

Every Sunday we’ll see a Callaway Staff bag with Rahm’s name and that will do more for their brand regardless of what ball he plays. 

If I were Callaway I’d say play whatever ball you want if it means you’re swinging our clubs. 

When you are trying to gain market share and take down the top ball in golf yes having pros play your ball as agreed to under the contract is necessary especially with all issues they had with the ball exposed by mgs and the roll out of the updated ball delayed by manufacturing issues then covid. The ball is the one thing many pros dont change that often. It’s part of Rory’s struggles when he was switching companies. It’s why you don’t see titleist or other companies indicating which model year a player has. Stacy Lewis left titleist because they told her they were no longer going to make the model year she was playing and she didn’t like the newer versions

6 hours ago, bens197 said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I didn't like the Mavrik line when it first arrived, but now I prefer it to the looks of the SIM  🤷‍♂️.   This has the smell of Sergio to Callaway on it.  I think Rahmbo takes a wash this year and starts finding his groove 2022. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

6 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I didn't like the Mavrik line when it first arrived, but now I prefer it to the looks of the SIM  🤷‍♂️.   This has the smell of Sergio to Callaway on it.  I think Rahmbo takes a wash this year and starts finding his groove 2022. 

Agreed. I think that’s a pretty smart bet. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Saw on Instagram ( not a creditable source at all) but Tommy fleetwood to Taylormade 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

1 hour ago, Nolan220 said:

Saw on Instagram ( not a creditable source at all) but Tommy fleetwood to Taylormade 

That’s an interesting one. He’s been playing some TM irons and had out a tsi driver in the bag. 

wonder what the deal will look like and curious if the new sim had any role in the decision. 

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s an interesting one. He’s been playing some TM irons and had out a tsi driver in the bag. 

wonder what the deal will look like and curious if the new sim had any role in the decision. 

Was he signed with any OEM ? or just played the tsi ? 

Just now, Nolan220 said:

Was he signed with any OEM ? or just played the tsi ? 

He was contract free on equipment because of the Nike stuff and he couldn’t find anymore of the Nike irons he was playing and switched over to the Tm irons after hitting some of the other guys p series blades, iirc it was tigers specs.

With no contract he had a tm driver in the bag and switched to tsi when they came out.

24 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

He was contract free on equipment because of the Nike stuff and he couldn’t find anymore of the Nike irons he was playing and switched over to the Tm irons after hitting some of the other guys p series blades, iirc it was tigers specs.

With no contract he had a tm driver in the bag and switched to tsi when they came out.

interesting.. I guess he will take Rahms spot on roster

30 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

interesting.. I guess he will take Rahms spot on roster

Pretty much. Swap one euro with another. 

im curious to see if Sergio signs anywhere 

13 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Pretty much. Swap one euro with another. 

After he left Callaway wasn't he seen using TM clubs again ? or something like that .. he might just stay as a free agent at this point 

47 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

After he left Callaway wasn't he seen using TM clubs again ? or something like that .. he might just stay as a free agent at this point 

He had a number of Ping clubs in his bag for a while.  Who knows?   I like the free agency!

Interesting how many Nike guys are with TM now.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

35 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

He had a number of Ping clubs in his bag for a while.  Who knows?   I like the free agency!

Yeah I think I remember seeing him with some Ping clubs too .. yeah it is interesting .. a lot of them except Tony Finau 

2 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

1 hour ago, Nolan220 said:

Yeah I think I remember seeing him with some Ping clubs too .. yeah it is interesting .. a lot of them except Tony Finau 

Correct he had the blueprints iirc and stick with them. Believe he also had their wedges and putter and the top end of the bag was TM. He had the TM ball for awhile then switched to prov 

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

WR #44, with his best years well behind him, who cares. YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

45 minutes ago, Middler said:

WR #44, with his best years well behind him, who cares. YMMV

He’s still a valuable asset in the Euro market. Just like Seve, olazabal, maj these guys still matter late in their careers to some fans. I happen to be a Sergio fan and as someone who enjoys golf and seeing what players decide to stay contract free or take some guaranteed cash is an interesting aspect in today’s game especially as the equipment contract world changes. Ping has become slightly more flexible in the setup of their contracted players bag.

13 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Well... Tiger was like #900 when Taylormade signed him.  🤔

Rickie isn’t doing so well but I bet cobra does whatever they can to keep him around. Also wouldn’t be surprised to see TM jump on a full bag with him if he ever got from from cobra

13 hours ago, Shankster said:

Well... Tiger was like #900 when Taylormade signed him.  🤔

Tiger is/was arguably the GOAT, Sergio’s never been in that discussion, not even close.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

On 12/4/2020 at 10:13 AM, Berg Ryman said:

I doubt money had much to do with it.  I suspect Jon has just always liked the Callaway logo much better.  Plus there is the Phil factor 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)