Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Coming Soon - RIFE Drivers??

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Have You Seen the New Rife Drivers?

Well, neither have I.... but a recently published patent application may indicate that Rife Putters is looking to branch out. Today Mr. Rife had a patent application publish that may give us an idea of what he has been thinking about; namely, the soles of metal woods.

The patent application publishes as US Pub. No. 20090124410 titled “Sole Configuration for Metal Wood Golf Club.� The application describes the invention as:

A metal wood type golf club head including a club head body and means for attachment to a golf shaft, the club head body including a frontal ball striking face having a center of percussion thereon, a rear face, a heel, toe, and top crown, and a rigid, non-deformable bottom sole having a forward section and at least one additional rear section.

The forward section provides a friction surface and is defined by a bounce angle extending downwardly from said frontal ball striking face to prevent the leading edge of the club head from digging into the turf or ground during the execution of a golf shot. The rear section of the bottom sole is a reduced friction surface and is recessed upwardly into the club head.

Want to see more patents...go to Golf-Patents.com

Patent Drawings

RELATED ARTICLES:

- SPY PICS! - New “Rife IMO� Putter

- Spy Pics: 2009 RIFE Putters!

#TruthDigest

I wonder if this patent is supposed to be for a driver, or for a fairway wood?

I may be missing something, but having such a sole doesn't seem terribly useful for a driver unless it's a way to move weight around.

• SPY VIP

I would guess fairway too. I thought the term "bounce" refers to the part of the club that will strike the ground. Drivers should not hit the turf, right? :)

Figs 200, 210 and 220 really look like driver, fairway, hybrid progression. Maybe the shape has to be patented in all three configurations to secure the patent, but only the fairway will reach production.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Remember this??P10781347.jpg

I wonder how close it is to these??

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I think Rife should stick with what it does best. Hasn't the industry learned anything from the Nickent debacle? :huh:

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I think Rife should stick with what it does best. Hasn't the industry learned anything from the Nickent debacle? B)

I think I agree. Call me brand-washed, closed minded, whatever, but the jump from putters to drivers strikes me as weird and not something I'm overly excited about. Heavy Putters made the more logical (to me) progression from putters to wedges. Both putters and wedges are largely matters of personal taste, feel, looks, whereas drivers are (in my mind) about high tech materials & designs. The two things just don't mesh to me. Obviously the large OEMs (TM, Titleist, Cally, etc) do everything from drivers to putters, but that's different. It's one thing to do everything. It's another to be a putter company and then put out a driver.

Who knows, maybe this driver will rock and shut me up. I'm certainly not against it or trying to be a hater, just trying to explain why it seems odd to me.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I think I agree. Call me brand-washed, closed minded, whatever, but the jump from putters to drivers strikes me as weird and not something I'm overly excited about. Heavy Putters made the more logical (to me) progression from putters to wedges. Both putters and wedges are largely matters of personal taste, feel, looks, whereas drivers are (in my mind) about high tech materials & designs. The two things just don't mesh to me. Obviously the large OEMs (TM, Titleist, Cally, etc) do everything from drivers to putters, but that's different. It's one thing to do everything. It's another to be a putter company and then put out a driver.

Who knows, maybe this driver will rock and shut me up. I'm certainly not against it or trying to be a hater, just trying to explain why it seems odd to me.

The HEavy Putter thread said that they have a driver coming too. If you can make a light Heavy Putter, I guess all rules are gone...

Volvo Intorqueo

What happens when Scratch starts to market a Driver??? same thoughts then??

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

The HEavy Putter thread said that they have a driver coming too. If you can make a light Heavy Putter, I guess all rules are gone...

I guess my only thought with the heavy driver is that they will probably bring some kind of weighting "technology" to that. Again, it doesn't really excite me, personally.

Hmmm...if it happened right now, then yeah, same thoughts. Just like I associate Rife with roll grooves, I associate Scratch with wedges and great forged clubs. Neither of those things connects, in my mind, to drivers. Now, if Scratch brought in Mr. _____ who has some kind of credentials for driver design and then released something that he designed, it would make more "sense" to me.

Hmmm...if it happened right now, then yeah, same thoughts. Just like I associate Rife with roll grooves, I associate Scratch with wedges and great forged clubs. Neither of those things connects, in my mind, to drivers. Now, if Scratch brought in Mr. _____ who has some kind of credentials for driver design and then released something that he designed, it would make more "sense" to me.

That's what I was thinking, I just couldn't come up with a good joke for roll grooves on a driver.

• SPY VIP

I guess my only thought with the heavy driver is that they will probably bring some kind of weighting "technology" to that. Again, it doesn't really excite me, personally.

Slight tangent...

Does the "driver guru" exist? Obviously we see individuals associated with puttercraft and wedges. But drivers are just by brand, these days. The Bobby Jones stuff with Ortiz is the only think that comes to mind.

Volvo Intorqueo

Slight tangent...

Does the "driver guru" exist? Obviously we see individuals associated with puttercraft and wedges. But drivers are just by brand, these days. The Bobby Jones stuff with Ortiz is the only think that comes to mind.

Tom Stites (sp?) at Nike? Not sure if he's a driver designer, but that's the only name I can think of. It's a bit odd that other types of clubs have a signature guy, but not drivers.

Tom Stites (sp?) at Nike? Not sure if he's a driver designer, but that's the only name I can think of. It's a bit odd that other types of clubs have a signature guy, but not drivers.

Maybe because Drivers are mostly designed and manufactured by machines without as much craftsmanship involved? Back in the days of persimmon, I bet there were guys known for driver design. I'm just too young to know who they are. :lol:

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Yeah, I'm just afraid of these companies stretching themselves too thin. It would be a shame for a great company with such a promising future to bury itself by trying to grow too fast and into too many niches. Stick with what you do and do it well unless market forces dictate a change. You don't see Scotty Cameron doing drivers, right?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

Yeah, I'm just afraid of these companies stretching themselves too thin. It would be a shame for a great company with such a promising future to bury itself by trying to grow too fast and into too many niches. Stick with what you do and do it well unless market forces dictate a change. You don't see Scotty Cameron doing drivers, right?

Even the driver headcovers cameron made seemed a stretch.

Drivers may just be harder to design. Materials, strain on construction, CAD work. The knowledge may be too broad for any one person to the the Guru, I guess.

Volvo Intorqueo

That's true. Vokey doesn't do drivers either. I think that the small companies sort of need to either latch on (like Scotty, Vokey) or make everything if they want to compete with the big boys.

Even the driver headcovers cameron made seemed a stretch.

Drivers may just be harder to design. Materials, strain on construction, CAD work. The knowledge may be too broad for any one person to the the Guru, I guess.

In short, putters, wedges, and irons are made by master craftsmen, and drivers are made by rooms full of machines and nerds. :P

It seems like the comments I posted earlier are being echoed by many others, but what I wrote bothers me a bit, so I would like to give it one more try because I really don't want to seem like I'm hating on a company trying something new:

I look at Rife or Heavy Putters making drivers as being analogous to Saternus Woodworking making something out of metal. It is entirely possible that, without the consumer knowing it, I bought metalworking equipment and was trained in metals, and am capable of making great metal craft. Nonetheless, people would scratch their heads and say, "I thought that was a woodworking company..." That is my reaction to a Rife driver; it might be awesome, but it doesn't fit my conception of what the company is.

Archived