On 12/7/2020 at 7:23 AM, fixyurdivot said:

Choose whatever scenario you wish as cause for a world suddenly void of the vaunted ProV1 and ProV1x balls - your preferred ball.  Now, forced to choose a replacement, which ball would you put into play?  Wouldn't it be fun to hear what the touring pro players would choose... were it based purely on performance.

I already did that scenario -- 2 years ago when I started playing Snell golf balls.  I started with the Blacks, but quickly moved to the MTB-X when they arrived and haven't looked back.  

• Like 5

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 3,4, & 5 -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS and SW bent to 52 Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 56*  Stock shaft.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Snell MTB-X. All the way 

On a funny side note.   Yesterday I played in a scramble that was raising funds for a local Head Pro and his fight with cancer. I pulled up to the Bag Drop and as I was getting out I heard a voic

Yeah, I spent about 30 minutes on line trying  about 10 variations of it.  This was the best I could get.  When our actual Titleist rep saw it for the first time...He is the one that has ProV1 (and ha

Posted Images

I notice many more people who like Snell balls pick the X over the Black. About a year and a half ago I bought a mixed case and very much preferred the black. What am I missing with the X. 

I stopped buying Snell after that because I found that the Z star was just as good and cheaper with BOGO but could see trying Snell Black again sometime. 

• Like 1
  • :ping-small: G Driver 10.5 Aldila Alta Regular Flex 55
  • :cobra-small: S2 5 wood Fujikura 65 FW Regular Shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft
  • :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length
  • Golf ball :srixon-small: Z Star
4 minutes ago, HAC said:

I notice many more people who like Snell balls pick the X over the Black. About a year and a half ago I bought a mixed case and very much preferred the black. What am I missing with the X. 

I stopped buying Snell after that because I found that the Z star was just as good and cheaper with BOGO but could see trying Snell Black again sometime. 

Nothing.  Everyone has preferences, for whatever reason.

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 3,4, & 5 -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS and SW bent to 52 Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 56*  Stock shaft.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I just - as a matter of principle - will never pay 48.00 for a dozen golf balls. I don't care who makes them and what they're made of or how good they are. 

I'll drop down a tier and still get good value and the performance I need. 

• Like 2

(D) G410 LST | (3) SpeedZone Big Tour | (5) TM Sim Max | (H) Titleist 818 H2 | (I) Z785 | (W) ZipCore | (P) Cleveland Premier HB 11

36 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I just - as a matter of principle - will never pay 48.00 for a dozen golf balls. I don't care who makes them and what they're made of or how good they are. 

I'll drop down a tier and still get good value and the performance I need. 

I'm pretty much with you on this.  That said, when TaylorMade allowed a bunch of customization options, including picking your own number, and adding personalization, etc, I bit and got two dozen.  But I think you are right about getting a quality ball at a lower price that does just as well.

All that said, and I can't definitively say that I am 100% sure of this, but most, if not all of my lowest rounds shot, were with either a Titleist ProV1/x, or in the most recent case, a Titleist AVX.  I go away from that ball, and my scores seem to go up.  I can also say that I've shot a bunch of higher scores as well with these balls, so it's probably just coincidence.  But going low with another ball - I can't recall a low round (for me that's a 74 or lower) with a non-Titleist ball.

I guess now you've given me something to keep track of, as I just put a dozen Srixon Q-Star Tour in my bag that I bought a couple of year ago.  If I start shooting in the high-70's/80's with the Srixon and can't seem to find the low 70's we may be on to something.  We'll see.

Because at the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is the score you shoot.  Feel, distance, performance, whatever is meaningless if you can't cross the finish line going low.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I have always liked PV1X, but they are expensive.  I occasionally get a box as a present.  I like them around the green, and since I don't hit the ball very far, the way a ball plays around the green is important to me.  I'm still playing the last of my original Kirkland Ksig stash, except in winter.  I thought that I would go to the Snell MTB-X as I liked it the few times I've played it.  

However, I'm rethinking my choice of balls since I started playing my "winter balls" this year.  With practice I can play most any ball.  While the greens are firming up, I've had to adjust my chipping and pitching with the softer 2-piece balls.  I still get some spin, just not as much, but I can allow for that.  What I am getting is more distance.  Some of that is the turf firming up, but I'm closer to the longer hitters than I used to be, and I'm hitting the ball straighter.  I'm also scoring better while it's cold than a few months ago when it was warm.  The ball that seems to be better for my game now is the new Srixon Soft Feel.

When spring comes, I will be testing balls off the tee rather than my usual "test them first around the green".  Finding the longest, straightest ball may allow me to get to the greens better.  Of course, I will likely throw in a PV1X into the test!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Assuming no Titleist is available then Bridgestone Tour B RX or BX or Taylormade TP5X. 

But, just saying no ProV then AVX would be my first choice. 

Then Snell MTB before Srixon Z and Chrome Soft in a Pinch

In other words, I am a tour ball ***** - I have a preference without any loyalty to anything in particular. I play what I find, and I find more Pro Vs than anything else of the tour balls I find. 

I won't play the KSigs - I lose a lot from those in the way of distance off the driver due to too much spin = my favorite being the low spin AVX, ProV1x, and TP5X. 

• Like 1

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

TP5 without a doubt. 

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

12 hours ago, pulledabill said:

TP5 without a doubt. 

Good choice.  😉

At this point, I'm also looking toward the TP5, Vice Pro Soft (or Vice Pro) and Cut Blue (with no V1x available in this scenario).  Tour B XS is also a nice ball. 

Driver: Titleist TS2, Accra FX 2.0 250 M3.
3W: Taylormade Sim Max, Accra FX 2.0 200 M3.
3H: Taylormade Sim, Stock Stiff.
3/4-PW: Miura CB57, TT DG S300 Stiff.
51*, 55*: Edison Forged Wedges, KBS Tour Stiff.
60*: Titleist Vokey SM4, DG Spinner.
Putter: P&SI-EGOS  (considering L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1).
Ball: TM TP5 Pix OR Pro V1x OR Vice Pro Soft OR Cut Blue ... (See Why!)
Bag: MNML.
Cart: Old Used ClickGear something or other.

There are far too many balls out there I haven't tried for me to say for certain. I have eliminated Srixon as a brand, too hard in my opinion. Snell - same thing. Would not go back to TM TP5 again. Might try the TP5x. Tried the TM Project (a) when it first came out. Sorely disappointed.  Haven't played any Bridgestone in so long, not sure what they're like anymore. I'd probably start there.  I like a slightly firmer ball, so their softest models are a no for me. Callaway, haven't played anything of theirs in so long. I don't have any interest in fringe market balls like Vice, Cut, Clear etc. Maybe Kirkland would be back in the market with a ball I like.

I have a few dozen Titleist balls so, I wouldn't have to worry for a couple years if the suddenly stopped making balls. 

• Like 1

I have read everyone's comments and I have to say they are interesting.  I too used to play the ProV1 X, then last year I switched and gave Bridgestone a try.  I started with the Tour BX then mid way through switched to the Tour BXS.  I liked the BXS a bit better due to a bit softer feel.  This season I switched yet again to the Srixon Z Star XV due to BOGO offer.  I may be the only one on here that was not impressed with the Z star.  I found that it cuts really easily.  The feel and spin are fine for me but the durability are not good at all.  I spoke with Srixon about this and they told me that it may be due to them having the thinnest outer layer in golf....maybe, but the ball still cuts easily.  I am thinking about switching back to Bridgestone, there was nothing wrong with this ball at all.  It was durable, long, and spun how I wanted it to spin.  I will say however, I am very tempted to try the Snell.  

• Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Del Mar 34"

Snell mtb-x. Can’t go wrong with the guy who invented the pro v1. Love the way they feel and the price point while I wish it was cheaper is decent for what the market is

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TS3 Tensei Av Raw White 65s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

I did a review for MGS of the original Snell MTB back in 2016, and haven't bought a single Titleist since then.  I've been playing both the X and the Black ever since they came out, generally using the X when conditions are really firm.  If Titleist stopped making balls, it wouldn't change a thing for me.

• Like 4

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 5:41 PM, JalanK said:

There are far too many balls out there I haven't tried for me to say for certain. I have eliminated Srixon as a brand, too hard in my opinion. Snell - same thing. Would not go back to TM TP5 again. Might try the TP5x. Tried the TM Project (a) when it first came out. Sorely disappointed.  Haven't played any Bridgestone in so long, not sure what they're like anymore. I'd probably start there.  I like a slightly firmer ball, so their softest models are a no for me. Callaway, haven't played anything of theirs in so long. I don't have any interest in fringe market balls like Vice, Cut, Clear etc. Maybe Kirkland would be back in the market with a ball I like.

I have a few dozen Titleist balls so, I wouldn't have to worry for a couple years if the suddenly stopped making balls. 

I heard of these two brands that have firm balls: Top Flite and Pinnacle... Have you tried those? 

🥳. Happy New Years

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

This would have almost zero effect on me.  I don't play Titleist, and have no interest in ever doing so.  I'm mystified by the status some apply to them.

About the only thing it would do is take away one of my jokes with my friends, assorted variations off "think about how much better your score would be if you hadn't used that Titleist POS."  😈 😆

• Haha 2

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1-PW Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or TM TP5

I'd keep playing the Srixon Z-Star XV's that I'm playing now.

I love the Snell MTB-X as well, but it's easy to find XV's used for cheap to fill the shag bag.  When I can buy a dozen of the MTB-X used (not a dozen mixed Snells) for practice, I just might switch back.

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
7 Wood  - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha Warbird S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
5i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What's in timeout:
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4i - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )