TESTERS WANTED! ×

GAPR Mid Review

Cashuss_K

I searched and didn't see any reviews on the GAPR. I have been playing it over the last year and decided I would add some input.

Specs: :taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 3, HZRDUS 85g (Blue I think? It doesn't say on it) Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Standard Grip

Like I said above, I put this in the bag last Winter and have been playing it since. I replaced a Nike Covert 2.0 Hybrid. I chose the GAPR because I wanted a Driving Iron but was interested in something that had a little more forgiveness.  I bought it used from Global Golf, but it had the "Mint" condition rating. It had the oversized grip, so I did have to make a customization to it.

Aesthetics:

I don't know what it is, but something about Taylormade products have always caught my eye. It could be that it is what my dad used to play when I was little - and me when I would borrow his clubs instead of using my cheap Goodwill sticks or, it could be the swag DJ shows with every shot that I would dearly like to emulate - but, I have always held closely an intrinsic loyalty to Taylormade and anything they make. The GAPR is no exception. I love the black base and the teal highlights with the modern, millennial name - "GAPR". Standing over the ball at address, the dark club is quiet to the eye and allows the ball to pop, which for me, helps to focus on my connection point.

Playability:

The GAPR is a club I will use when I have a shot anywhere from 210 to 230 depending on conditions. For me, it is a nice fit between my 4i and 3wood. Its long and quite forgiving, which is ideal for a Tee shot when you have a narrow fairway or on a second shot of your Par 5. I haven't found a condition where I would be hesitant to take pull the GAPR. (Other than the FW Bunker which I have not tried and probably won't.) I live/ play in the PNW and for most months of the year, the conditions can be quite soft and many times, wet. The larger club head - resembling a hybrid - is very helpful in this situation. It allows you to dig in on a ball low in the rough with the same feel and forgiveness as if you were lying mid-fairway. The size helps to alleviate any chunk shot an iron may have since a miss-hit will still travel further than a duffed iron.

With my old Hybrid, I struggled with the ability to be able to work the ball in any direction. It was usually a unwanted slice. Since the GAPR is more like an Iron, I find it much easier to swing like an iron. Maybe that is part mental, but I do find the shot to be more consistent and resembling my long iron shot-shape. It is easy to go from a 5/4i to the GAPR or a GAPR from the tee to a 7i on the second shot. It allows me to work the ball more and provides that extra few yards over my 4i where a 3wood would put me out of play or the 4i would come up short.

If you are struggling with confidence with your long irons off the fairway, this club will do well to remove your anxiety. I love this club and would recommend it to anyone at any level. I, myself, have the mid, but they do have 3 versions for all playing levels. If you struggle with a long iron chunk or perhaps want something to work off the Tee for a safe Fairway shot, this is certainly the club for you.

Driver: :callaway-small: XR XStiff

3wood: :cobra-small: F8 XStiff

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR, HZRDUS XStiff

Irons: :taylormade-small: P770 (Old) XStiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM8 54, 58

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider Interactive

37 minutes ago, Cashuss_K said:

I searched and didn't see any reviews on the GAPR. I have been playing it over the last year and decided I would add some input.

Specs: :taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 3, HZRDUS 85g (Blue I think? It doesn't say on it) Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Standard Grip

Like I said above, I put this in the bag last Winter and have been playing it since. I replaced a Nike Covert 2.0 Hybrid. I chose the GAPR because I wanted a Driving Iron but was interested in something that had a little more forgiveness.  I bought it used from Global Golf, but it had the "Mint" condition rating. It had the oversized grip, so I did have to make a customization to it.

Aesthetics:

I don't know what it is, but something about Taylormade products have always caught my eye. It could be that it is what my dad used to play when I was little - and me when I would borrow his clubs instead of using my cheap Goodwill sticks or, it could be the swag DJ shows with every shot that I would dearly like to emulate - but, I have always held closely an intrinsic loyalty to Taylormade and anything they make. The GAPR is no exception. I love the black base and the teal highlights with the modern, millennial name - "GAPR". Standing over the ball at address, the dark club is quiet to the eye and allows the ball to pop, which for me, helps to focus on my connection point.

Playability:

The GAPR is a club I will use when I have a shot anywhere from 210 to 230 depending on conditions. For me, it is a nice fit between my 4i and 3wood. Its long and quite forgiving, which is ideal for a Tee shot when you have a narrow fairway or on a second shot of your Par 5. I haven't found a condition where I would be hesitant to take pull the GAPR. (Other than the FW Bunker which I have not tried and probably won't.) I live/ play in the PNW and for most months of the year, the conditions can be quite soft and many times, wet. The larger club head - resembling a hybrid - is very helpful in this situation. It allows you to dig in on a ball low in the rough with the same feel and forgiveness as if you were lying mid-fairway. The size helps to alleviate any chunk shot an iron may have since a miss-hit will still travel further than a duffed iron.

With my old Hybrid, I struggled with the ability to be able to work the ball in any direction. It was usually a unwanted slice. Since the GAPR is more like an Iron, I find it much easier to swing like an iron. Maybe that is part mental, but I do find the shot to be more consistent and resembling my long iron shot-shape. It is easy to go from a 5/4i to the GAPR or a GAPR from the tee to a 7i on the second shot. It allows me to work the ball more and provides that extra few yards over my 4i where a 3wood would put me out of play or the 4i would come up short.

If you are struggling with confidence with your long irons off the fairway, this club will do well to remove your anxiety. I love this club and would recommend it to anyone at any level. I, myself, have the mid, but they do have 3 versions for all playing levels. If you struggle with a long iron chunk or perhaps want something to work off the Tee for a safe Fairway shot, this is certainly the club for you.

Nice write up. I presume, the TM DHY goes hand it hand with this now as being most similar?

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

43 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Nice write up. I presume, the TM DHY goes hand it hand with this now as being most similar?

I have not tried it, just looking at pictures I would think yes. They look quite similar in size and shape. I would be interested to see a comparison with numbers to see if there is much of a different. If not, perhaps the GAPR may be cheaper for a similar result given that it is a couple years old now?

Driver: :callaway-small: XR XStiff

3wood: :cobra-small: F8 XStiff

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: GAPR, HZRDUS XStiff

Irons: :taylormade-small: P770 (Old) XStiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM8 54, 58

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider Interactive

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2020 at 10:45 AM, Cashuss_K said:

Aesthetics:

Playability:

I purchased a GAPR Mid last year as well.  Mine is also a Global Golf pick up and was rated at Certified Pre-Owned, but looked like it had never been hit.  Same loft, but with a KBS Hybrid graphite shaft and stiff flex.  I assume mine is the stock shaft since the KBS band is the same off green as the GAPR color.  

All that aside, you are absolutely right about this club.  It's definitely a great tool for tight fairways off the tee and gives that extra confidence that a driving iron would not.  I'm not very good from the fairway with mine, but that's likely a mental hang up or a mechanical flaw.  There is some great potential for shot shaping as well.  I had to draw a tee shot around trees once last year after the course I normally play moved the white tees about 10 yards to tbe left of the other tees.  

The one thing I read repeatedly is that the GAPR is harsh on bad contact and that's absolutely true.  The Speed Foam makes for a wonderful feeling sweet spot, but it does not hide poor contact.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

On 12/7/2020 at 11:22 AM, rbsiedsc said:

The DHY is basically an updated version of the GAPR mid with a few changes.  The guys at TXG made some comments about that in their review of the DHY and UDI when they came out.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

• 1 year later...

I bought the GAPR Mid last week on ebay, after i decided to get rid of my hybrid. My 4 iron is my 190 yard weapon to go and it is much more steady as my 3 hybrid and just 5 yards shorter, but i have a 40 yard gap to my driver. I can't hit my 3W from the deck and usually leave it in my garage, when i play my home course. 
I took me 10 balls on the range to get some confidence hitting the GAPR. Based on my Arccos Data, i hit the GAPR from the tee on avg. 210 yards and of the deck roughly 200 yards. A perfect fit for me. The dispersion is narrow and helps me on the long par 4s on our course to get near the green. 

• Cobra Radspeed Driver 12 degree, adusted down to 11 degree loft stiff shaft
  • Cobra Radspeed 3 Wood stiff shaft
  • TaylorMade GAPR Mid stiff shaft
  • Mizuno JPX Hote Metal 921 3-PW Steelshaft regular
  • Taylor Made Milled Grind 2 50,54,58 loft wedges
  • Evnroll ER1.2 blade Putter
  • Seed SD01 Balls and when i am playing bad Srixon AD-333. I won a pack of Wilson Staff Triad and played it the last four rounds. This could be my choice for the near future.