Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Junior Tournament Tips

Hey my first tournament is in a couple of weeks. I know I can score well but am worried about the nerves. What tips do you have?

Driver: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 9* Ventus Red Velocore (Reg)

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 3-wood 15* (flat setting) Tensei Ck Blue (Reg)

Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 3hy 19* + 4hy 22* (flat setting) Tensei Ck Red (Reg)

Irons: :taylormade-small: P7mc 4-P (2* flat) Nippon NS Pro (Reg)

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 50,55,60 SB (2* flat) True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom 12

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer

Launch Monitor: Flightscope Mevo+

Just play golf. Nerves will happen, but the more pressure you create for yourself, the worse they'll be. Play golf. Make your best effort on every shot. And the only shot you can control is the one you're playing. The previous ones are gone. Anything ahead of you isn't there yet.

Play using your normal routine. Don't change anything. And don't worry about anyone playing with you. Lowest score wins. That could be you. Could be someone else. Either way, you're playing golf!

Good luck!

3 hours ago, c_zoid said:

Hey my first tournament is in a couple of weeks. I know I can score well but am worried about the nerves. What tips do you have?

Don’t pay attention to how your playing partners are scoring.

Have a game plan. If it’s a new course, check the gps overlays and try to create a plan. If you’ve played it, map out a solid strategy, and play the course every night at least a few times in your head before going to sleep. Visualize every shot. Go low. It’ll give you confidence that you’re pulling the right club on every tee box. If you struggle or are playing well, block it out and stick to your plan for the next hole. Bad shots will happen, trust your ability to scramble and get up and down. Know that you have a great plan for the rest of the holes, so you can put a blow up hole behind you. 

Ultimately, score shouldn’t be the focus. Rookies don’t win the ‘ship. It’s a learning experience. Take notes on what worked and what didn’t work, and make sure you get better from this experience. 

And remember, golf is supposed to be fun. Enjoy the moment. Enjoy the competition. Have fun getting to know your playing partners. Joke around. Talk some smack. Be a kid!

PS. Bring snacks. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

One shot at a time, stay in the moment as that’s what you have control over. Forget about the past shots wether good or bad and don’t think about the future because you have no control over either. Nerves are normal, but focus on what’s in front of you at that time and the nerves will be manageable. Practicing and preparing are very important, along with having a pre-shot routine that you repeat every time. And then trust in yourself and have fun!