Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

2020 U.S. Women's Open Preview

tonyj5

41 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I give Amy credit for holding it together and ending up in 2nd pl. - it had to be a major shock for her to hear about her FIL. She'll be back in the game.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I felt so sorry for them in the cold weather. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 hour ago, 2puttbogey said:

Congratulations to A Lim Kim she closed it out!! Crazy how the last 3 holes of play won the whole tournament for her, and Olsen’s hole in one kept her place though the weekend

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Oh yeah she more than deserved it made birdies on the last 3 holes in those conditions

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 hour ago, 2puttbogey said:

Congratulations to A Lim Kim she closed it out!! Crazy how the last 3 holes of play won the whole tournament for her, and Olsen’s hole in one kept her place though the weekend.

Kim did what she had to do, that’s clutch stringing together 3 straight birdies to close. Major winners are almost always the players who rise to the challenge. I’m surprised Olson and Shibuno didn’t finish stronger, but it was a good tournament despite conditions.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

I give Amy credit for holding it together and ending up in 2nd pl. - it had to be a major shock for her to hear about her FIL. She'll be back in the game.

Going to play the devil here. I think this may have been her chance. She hasn't won on tour yet, and it's golf so she might not get an opportunity like this again.

4 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

Going to play the devil here. I think this may have been her chance. She hasn't won on tour yet, and it's golf so she might not get an opportunity like this again.

She placed 2nd at the Evian Championship in 2018, so she has 2 seconds in majors now.  I think she will finally win, but she seems to do better when the courses are tough rather than the typical every week birdie fests.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

She placed 2nd at the Evian Championship in 2018, so she has 2 seconds in majors now.  I think she will finally win, but she seems to do better when the courses are tough rather than the typical every week birdie fests.  

Given the scores, this Ladies Open wasn't a cakewalk. My hats off to all the players that made it though the weather and course conditions. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 12/10/2020 at 7:21 PM, Kenny B said:

Why does Golf Channel refer to this major as the U.S. Women's Open, but it was the AIG Women's British Open?

Sponsorship.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

On 12/10/2020 at 3:56 PM, Kenny B said:

Not much attention here on the forum for the 2020 Women's U.S. Open.  Nobody picking winners like a PGA event, let alone a major championship.  Why is that?

I've asked this very question in my head for a LONG time.  It's not just here, but in general golf circles.  Everyone talks about the PGA Tour, but no one seems to care about the women's game.

I was so disappointed that Amy Olson couldn't finish it off.  To me it looked like she just played a little bit too conservative once she saw Shibuno bogey back to even par.  Perhaps maybe Olson was just trying to stay at -2 and thinking that no one would catch her.  Olson's ball striking and length off the tee definitely showed all week, and if nothing else, she's got a memory of a lifetime with that hole in one from Thursday's round.  

All the other players wearing multiple jackets, ear muffs and mittens, etc, and there's Amy with a long sleeve shirt, and a pullover, like it's just another day on the golf course.  But I guess compared to North Dakota this was like spring to her.

My other take away from this tournament that Kaitlyn Papp would have lost $1 million if she had won this as an amateur.  I'm not sure how you take that, living in her shoes?   Still, it was interesting to see several amateurs so close to the top of the leaderboard, even through the final round.  Why is it that the women's game always seems to produce such high finishes by amateurs in majors like this, and in the men's game the amateurs are just happy to make the cut?

4 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

Sponsorship.

Welcome back!  Haven't seen you here for awhile.

I was referring to the order of the title, not lack of sponsorship.  The Golf Channel lists it as the AIG Women's British Open, but this major is the  U.S. Women's Open.  Seems like it should be Women's U.S. Open.  For the Men, it's just the U.S. Open.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Just now, Kenny B said:

I was referring to the order of the title, not lack of sponsorship.  The Golf Channel lists it as the AIG Women's British Open, but this major is the  U.S. Women's Open.  Seems like it should be Women's U.S. Open.  For the Men, it's just the U.S. Open.

Because that's the way the tournament hosts name them?  🤷‍♂️

Just the way the USGA names them. Based on the
Naming convention, they all start with U. S., then they add the qualifiers, and then the event. They make the assumption that it is men’s unless specified.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/golf-schedule-scores-tickets.html

I could post other opinions, but that would probably violate the moral codes.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

16 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Not going to lie, I was pulling for her for a number of reasons, first and foremost coming from NDSU, which plays football in the FCS Division--well they don't play football there, they dominate it there..ha--I follow FCS pretty well as one of the local teams here Towson plays in that level and is pretty good.    

Then of course the story of her FIL is just tragic.   The way she kept composed during her round is something I can identify with.  My father passed away 8 years ago, it was on my birthday, and I was in the parking lot of a golf course and I was getting ready to play a 'birthday round" with a couple friends.  Now my father was sick and under Hospice care and we knew he was in his final days, so it wasn't a "shock"   But I went ahead and played, knowing there was nothing I could do in the next 4 hours to really change anything, I wouldn't fly out until the next day for service.   

In any case, it was one of the more calm rounds I have ever played.  I didn't get upset at any bad shots, and just filled the morning with memories of him.  I didn't mention it to my playing partners as I didn't want them to feel like they had to say the "right thing" or walk on egg shells, etc.   I told them after the round.

So in her press conference the comments Amy made about realizing things more important than golf and having a long list of things to be grateful for.   Wow!!  What perspective, and I'd be lying if I said it didn't get a little dusty in my office watching that. 

What a tremendous talent, but more so what a wonderful young woman she is.  Hopefully a mainstay for US Woman's Golf for many years to come. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

54 minutes ago, Mr. 82 said:

Why is it that the women's game always seems to produce such high finishes by amateurs in majors like this, and in the men's game the amateurs are just happy to make the cut?

Here's my thought...  All non-major tournaments are birdie fests.  The pros are just that good when conditions are easy and consistent week-to-week.  The ams can't compete because when they make a mistake, it costs them too much and usually miss the cut.  With USGA setup, which the top ams are more used to, everyone makes mistakes or has bad shots so the ams don't fall back in the standings as far when they have a bad hole.  Also, the pros tend to be very aggressive with putts, which on USGA greens means more 3-putts.  Lexi putted horribly.

On 12/14/2020 at 5:03 PM, 2puttbogey said:

I see your point but I think Amy will continue to gain standing in the LPGA events, including the majors.  She has a great game and, at least as important, attitude.

10 hours ago, Mr. 82 said:

My other take away from this tournament that Kaitlyn Papp would have lost $1 million if she had won this as an amateur.

I wonder what happens to the $$$ when an am wins?  In any case, more to your comment, having your name forever etched into the chronicles of women's professional golf is, well, priceless to most.  Plus, presuming she moves gets onto the tour, that street cred will bear fruit down the line in sponsors.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Here's my thought...  All non-major tournaments are birdie fests.  The pros are just that good when conditions are easy and consistent week-to-week.  The ams can't compete because when they make a mistake, it costs them too much and usually miss the cut.  With USGA setup, which the top ams are more used to, everyone makes mistakes or has bad shots so the ams don't fall back in the standings as far when they have a bad hole.  Also, the pros tend to be very aggressive with putts, which on USGA greens means more 3-putts.  Lexi putted horribly.

Kenny tell me more. What is the difference with the USGA setup - inquiring minds want to know.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

14 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Kenny tell me more. What is the difference with the USGA setup - inquiring minds want to know.

The USGA typically sets up courses longer than non-major tournaments, usually about 200-300y longer for the women.  I think this course played over 6700y on the CC course.  It requires longer clubs into hard, fast greens so more greens missed.  The green speed is faster than usual; I'm sure they probably narrowed the fairways a little bit.  If it's a difficult course anyway, it just got harder.  The top ams see similar conditions at the U.S. Women's Amateur.

The USGA typically sets up courses longer than non-major tournaments, usually about 200-300y longer for the women.  I think this course played over 6700y on the CC course.  It requires longer clubs into hard, fast greens so more greens missed.  The green speed is faster than usual; I'm sure they probably narrowed the fairways a little bit.  If it's a difficult course anyway, it just got harder.  The top ams see similar conditions at the U.S. Women's Amateur.

Thanks! It was obvious from the scores that it was set up harder and the weather didn't help also. Except for the Masters, I always prefer to watch the LPGA tournaments.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Just now, tony@CIC said:

Thanks! It was obvious from the scores that it was set up harder and the weather didn't help also. Except for the Masters, I always prefer to watch the LPGA tournaments.

Sometimes the USGA will get carried away with their course setups, but it seems that they have done a better job recently.  I like to see the pros struggle a little bit.  Reminds me of how the rest of us play under much easier conditions!  

I've attended two PGA Tour events; the Waste Management Phoenix Open and whatever they are calling the Bob Hope Desert Classic this week.  While they were fun, I much preferred the two LPGA majors I watched: the old Dinah Shore Kraft-Nabisco and the Women's PGA Championship held at Sahalee.  The women are awesome to watch. 

.  While they were fun, I much preferred the two LPGA majors I watched: the old Dinah Shore Kraft-Nabisco and the Women's PGA Championship held at Sahalee.  The women are awesome to watch. 

Not to mention that you can get up close and personal and also not have to deal with a rowdy crowd like at waste management. Every year we go to the Marathon Classic in Toledo. As an added attraction the 2021 Solheim Cup will be held at Inverness just outside Toledo . Sure hope this covid situation will be over by then.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

Not to mention that you can get up close and personal and also not have to deal with a rowdy crowd like at waste management. Every year we go to the Marathon Classic in Toledo. As an added attraction the 2021 Solheim Cup will be held at Inverness just outside Toledo . Sure hope this covid situation will be over by then.

I hope so too!!  This last summer My wife and I played golf at Circling Raven GC on the south end of Lake Coeur d'Alene with @fixyurdivot and @Thin2win for our PNW MGS gathering.  The Symetra Tour was supposed to play there this summer, but it was canceled.  It's scheduled again for 2021, and since it's only a 3 hour drive I'd like to go; play after the women.

13 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

.........I wonder what happens to the $$$ when an am wins?  In any case, more to your comment, having your name forever etched into the chronicles of women's professional golf is, well, priceless to most.  Plus, presuming she moves gets onto the tour, that street cred will bear fruit down the line in sponsors.  

I believe the money for the spot the am wins rolls into the next spot that pays a pro.  So if the am wins first place then the second place finisher gets the first place money.  Or if the am wins 3rd place the 4th place pro gets the 3rd place money and 5th place pro gets 4th place money, etc.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.