My Golf Spy Ball Lab Report-Bridgestone Tour B RX

I'm really interested in this one, as it's the one ball from their lineup that should "fit" my swing speed.  Share your thoughts below. 

https://mygolfspy.com/ball-lab-bridgestone-tour-b-rx/

a photo of the bridgestone tour b rx golf ball

• Like 4
  • Love 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

The compression variation caught my eye.  I remember hearing the old thought to "seam" an old ProV off the tee to get a little boost in distance.  This ball seems to contrast the old saying with the poles being higher in compression than the seams.

• Like 1

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

I've always like Bridgestone balls and clubs for that matter. However, I've never gotten along with the RX balls but that's not to say they are bad because I know some people who swear by the RX line. I've always had a hard time getting the spin I want off shorter shots and around the green. I would compare them to a TM Project (a) or other "non-tour" urethane three piece balls. What is the category for balls like the Project (a), and other urethane versions of non-premium balls? I don't know. 

I played this ball this summer and tested it during the Golfball.com align test and really liked it .. was surprised by the below average compression issues doesn't seem like it was a deal breaker but def surprised...

• Like 2

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW OBAN CT-100 Hard Step S Shafts  

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

1 hour ago, Kansas King said:

I would compare them to a TM Project (a) or other "non-tour" urethane three piece balls. What is the category for balls like the Project (a), and other urethane versions of non-premium balls? I don't know. 

Bridgestone's marketing seems to be trying to disrupt the distinction you're talking about. Where other companies have "Tour Speed" and "Project (a)" and "Q Star Tour" for mid-market urethane or non-Tour urethane, I think Bridgestone would say all four of their Tour B models are premium as you've got folks like Lexi and Freddy playing the R-line. The differentiation is swing speed vs price point, I think. And as we saw with the difference between, say, Z-Star and Q Star Tour, it very well could be a QC differentiation as well...

• Like 2

Driver: :taylormade-small:SIM2 9* HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70S
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95cw Stiff
Wet/Soft: 3i-PW
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged, KBS Tour-V 110S
Hard/Fast: 4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S

52*, 58* :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Modus3 Tour 115
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper; :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier 11s

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR/XV (but I'm not just going to leave a perfectly good ProV1 laying around...)
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
:SuperSpeed:

All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review

The older version of this ball was the one I was fit into multiple times across several years of in person bridgestone ball fittings. 

Im supposed att get compression variation from a company that owns the entire ball

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Bridgestone's marketing seems to be trying to disrupt the distinction you're talking about. Where other companies have "Tour Speed" and "Project (a)" and "Q Star Tour" for mid-market urethane or non-Tour urethane, I think Bridgestone would say all four of their Tour B models are premium as you've got folks like Lexi and Freddy playing the R-line. The differentiation is swing speed vs price point, I think. And as we saw with the difference between, say, Z-Star and Q Star Tour, it very well could be a QC differentiation as well...

It’s starting to seem like the quality control is what we’re paying for more than the “ingredients”.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

If I was playing a "tour level" urethane ball on the reg, this would be the one. Glad to see it rated highly, unlike the QST which had previously been a ball I played on and off. After that review, now I know what it's priced where it is.

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

I truly love these reviews, and I hope Tony does a 2020/21 version of the "Best Ball" analysis (from April 2019). That analysis is what turned me on to MGS in the first place - I wasn't happy with my ball at the time and those charts helped me streamline my search. I ended up with the Bridgestone Tour BX, which I still play and still love.

One aspect I'd like to see in these reviews is putter interaction. I'm not sure how feasible it is, but with so many 'alternative' putter face materials out there it is a big unknown when evaluating balls. for instance, if I play a putter with a hard face material, but I want a ball that spins less with my driver, how do I find that balance?

• Like 1

WITB: p770 (2018 vintage) 4-PW, Mack daddy forged 50, 54, 58, Newport2, woods hybrid in flux

One aspect I'd like to see in these reviews is putter interaction. I'm not sure how feasible it is, but with so many 'alternative' putter face materials out there it is a big unknown when evaluating balls. for instance, if I play a putter with a hard face material, but I want a ball that spins less with my driver, how do I find that balance?

There was a discussion about putter interaction earlier this year. You can search to find it. The basic finding after the OP contacted several OEMs is that the putter has the biggest influence and that the ball itself has little impact. Through my own experimentation, I found no difference in ball speed with different balls and the same putter. While feel may be different you will get the same performance off a putter.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

22 hours ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Good to know the quality is superior in the Bridgestone line. I loved this ball when it was the B330RX. I wonder how much it's changed since.

Take Dead Aim

I was fortunate to get some of these balls (and the RX S) early in the Summer and played them all season.  First, I think they are fantastic!  Long off the tee, hold their line through the wind, and stop nicely on the green.  I don't think I generate enough wedge speed to have noticed much spin difference in the short game to be honest, but they do spin nicely.  The cover durability was exceptional.  I was a huge fan of the previous generation as well, and I can't see me playing any other ball until Bridgestone improves this model again.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

On 12/9/2020 at 1:18 PM, 2puttbogey said:

It’s starting to seem like the quality control is what we’re paying for more than the “ingredients”.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

BINGO!!!

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Aldila RIP Alpha 60 S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 4 34"
Ball: Snell MTB-X
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag