Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Switching Putting Grips For shorter/long putts

I have been playing around with left hand low putting technique, but have been having difficulties with speed control on the longer putts. I like that inside 15 ft, the left hand low method ensures no wrist movement and has been helping me keep the ball on the intended start line resulting in more one putts inside 15 ft. Is it a bad idea to switch back and forth between both for the long term? I must also say I havent had much practice with left hand low method besides 2 rounds and the carpet in my basement.

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Nothing technically wrong with doing that. Some players change grips when switching between full shots and chipping so why not a change for short and long putts.

If it helps you get the ball into the hole use 2 grips.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Nothing technically wrong with doing that. Some players change grips when switching between full shots and chipping so why not a change for short and long putts.

If it helps you get the ball into the hole use 2 grips.

I agree with this. If it works for you it works for you. But then make sure you keep that in mind when figuring out other aspects like bump and runs if you use a putting stroke for those shots. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Use whatever you're most comfortable with.  I switched to left hand low years ago and it made a big difference for me.  I use it for all putts.  It does take a while to get used to.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

I don’t see anything wrong with switching. I was opposite fir a while. For me right hand low worked better on longer putts but on 6 feet and in I was better traditional. Only thing I’ve found is committing for at least a few months and knowing you trust it. Worst case is missing a putt and thinking would I make it putting the other way?

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

Most people will talk about consistency, you shouldn't do xyz, etc... I'm of the opinion, and that's just it - it's merely an opinion as it relates to my game, the less variables I can add to the game and my swing the better off I am.  So in that sense, no I don't switch my grips at all on puts but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.  If it's working for you, and like you said you're just pondering at this point, then keep at it.  BUT, be realistic with the results and don't just persist unless it gives you tangible better results.  

Might be a better idea to just go all one way or the other and work on that for a month or a couple rounds and then compare your numbers.  The data will NEVER lie to you. 

Hope that helps!  Play well!!!

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

I know it works for a lot of people, but I just can't get used to the left hand low.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

On 12/10/2020 at 8:57 AM, cciciora13 said:

I have been playing around with left hand low putting technique, but have been having difficulties with speed control on the longer putts. I like that inside 15 ft, the left hand low method ensures no wrist movement and has been helping me keep the ball on the intended start line resulting in more one putts inside 15 ft. Is it a bad idea to switch back and forth between both for the long term? I must also say I havent had much practice with left hand low method besides 2 rounds and the carpet in my basement.

For a while a couple years ago I flirted with the claw grip. It sounds like I experienced very similar results as you with left hand low - I felt like shorter putts were starting on their intended line more often, but distance control sucked, so I switched to traditional grip for lag putt situations with pretty good results. Ultimately, when I was fitted for the Stroke Lab test last year, the fitter made a couple comments/corrections that helped with my starting line with traditional grip and even suggested I practice with the claw grip to see and feel the proper path. I also spent untold hours in my basement doing the yardstick drill, which has helped quite a bit.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I've gone thru several putters & different types of gripping, and a few weeks ago installed a Lamkin Sink Fit Straight Rubber grip on an old Odyssey DF Rossie Blade. All of a sudden I'm making putts and skins! I guess it's just the combination of this grip and putter that's working!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips