Switching Putting Grips For shorter/long putts

I have been playing around with left hand low putting technique, but have been having difficulties with speed control on the longer putts. I like that inside 15 ft, the left hand low method ensures no wrist movement and has been helping me keep the ball on the intended start line resulting in more one putts inside 15 ft. Is it a bad idea to switch back and forth between both for the long term? I must also say I havent had much practice with left hand low method besides 2 rounds and the carpet in my basement.

• Like 2

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

52 Deg:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

56 deg: :cleveland-small: Reg 588 tour action

60 Deg: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

Putter:bettinardi-small: Studio Stock #3 (Winn 1.32 Pro x grip)

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Nothing technically wrong with doing that. Some players change grips when switching between full shots and chipping so why not a change for short and long putts.

If it helps you get the ball into the hole use 2 grips.

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Nothing technically wrong with doing that. Some players change grips when switching between full shots and chipping so why not a change for short and long putts.

If it helps you get the ball into the hole use 2 grips.

I agree with this. If it works for you it works for you. But then make sure you keep that in mind when figuring out other aspects like bump and runs if you use a putting stroke for those shots. 

• Like 3

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons. 

Assorted wedges.

Odyssey White Hot Pro putter.

Use whatever you're most comfortable with.  I switched to left hand low years ago and it made a big difference for me.  I use it for all putts.  It does take a while to get used to.  

• Like 1

TM M4  

EPIC 15*

Sub70 hybids

Titleist T200 5-GW 

Vokey SM8  54

Vokey SM8 58

PXG Operator H 

I don’t see anything wrong with switching. I was opposite fir a while. For me right hand low worked better on longer putts but on 6 feet and in I was better traditional. Only thing I’ve found is committing for at least a few months and knowing you trust it. Worst case is missing a putt and thinking would I make it putting the other way?

• Like 2

Driver: TSi3 8 Diamana D+ 70TX

TSi2 18 Tensei Raw White 85TX

DI: ZX Utility 18* AD DI 95x 

Irons: 4 - Z765 X100 AND 5-PW MIURA CB X7

Wedges: SM8 50.12 at 51,  RTX zipcore 55, 60 mid - all KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 

Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 with Stability Shaft

-PROV1X

Most people will talk about consistency, you shouldn't do xyz, etc... I'm of the opinion, and that's just it - it's merely an opinion as it relates to my game, the less variables I can add to the game and my swing the better off I am.  So in that sense, no I don't switch my grips at all on puts but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.  If it's working for you, and like you said you're just pondering at this point, then keep at it.  BUT, be realistic with the results and don't just persist unless it gives you tangible better results.  

Might be a better idea to just go all one way or the other and work on that for a month or a couple rounds and then compare your numbers.  The data will NEVER lie to you. 

Hope that helps!  Play well!!!

• Like 2

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

I know it works for a lot of people, but I just can't get used to the left hand low.

• Like 4

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max - 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Diamana 75 Limited Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  4 - 6 T200,Titleist 7 - PW T100S, Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small:Vokey SM 7 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 X

On 12/10/2020 at 8:57 AM, cciciora13 said:

I have been playing around with left hand low putting technique, but have been having difficulties with speed control on the longer putts. I like that inside 15 ft, the left hand low method ensures no wrist movement and has been helping me keep the ball on the intended start line resulting in more one putts inside 15 ft. Is it a bad idea to switch back and forth between both for the long term? I must also say I havent had much practice with left hand low method besides 2 rounds and the carpet in my basement.

For a while a couple years ago I flirted with the claw grip. It sounds like I experienced very similar results as you with left hand low - I felt like shorter putts were starting on their intended line more often, but distance control sucked, so I switched to traditional grip for lag putt situations with pretty good results. Ultimately, when I was fitted for the Stroke Lab test last year, the fitter made a couple comments/corrections that helped with my starting line with traditional grip and even suggested I practice with the claw grip to see and feel the proper path. I also spent untold hours in my basement doing the yardstick drill, which has helped quite a bit.

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5* (set at 8.5*) Tensei CK Orange
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

I've gone thru several putters & different types of gripping, and a few weeks ago installed a Lamkin Sink Fit Straight Rubber grip on an old Odyssey DF Rossie Blade. All of a sudden I'm making putts and skins! I guess it's just the combination of this grip and putter that's working!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G400 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

Ping 2021 Fetch Putter

PING Pioneer Cart Bag---Nikon 40i Rangefinder & Garmin S20 Watch