TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cleveland UHX Utility

SmoothG

Does anyone have one in the bag or tested one?  My shop only has the irons and not the utility. I think the two are the same head but the utility is built longer with he recoil shaft I believe?  I've been using Ping G Crossovers which I like but looking to move on to something new without paying so much for the DHY. Anyone who has one, let me know your thoughts!  How do you like it??

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :callaway-small:                    

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Callaway Jaws 54* C Grind
Wilson Staff Infinite Southside
Maxfli Tour

• 1 month later...

I have been hunting for a 5 iron replacement and just demo'd the UHX 5/23 utility on a monitor for 20 minutes or so. 

I believe the UHX iron and utility are the same length, but the utility swingweight's at D4 versus D2 for the iron.  It was just a grip cap longer than the ZX5 5 iron in total length. Very easy to launch. I am a fan of the recoil shaft. I've used that on other utilities before. Honestly reminded me very much of the U85, but even more forgiving. And it's 3/4 shorter than the comparably lofted 4 utility from Srixon, which really helped me find the center more. I had been planning to hold out for the ZX4 5 iron, but may give the UHX a go. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Yeah I ended up buying one blind bc I got a great deal.  I still haven't hit it yet but looks good at address.  I'll do a review of it in the spring.  Michigan winters suck for golf.  

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Maxfli Tour

• 6 months later...

@SmoothG, what do you think? I just picked up the 4 iron for 69 bucks. Should get some range time this week. I was actually really satisfied with the MGS Most Wanted Utility testing. The UHX does not have the longest shaft or the lowest loft in the test, so I'm not caught up on distance or ball speed. I need help getting a 4 iron up in the air and going straight. Nice to see the UHX in the top 5 for launch angle, top 5 for peak height, top 5 for descent angle, and top of the charts for spin. The MGS test is using 2 and 3 irons looking at stroked gained off the tee, but when using this 4 iron into a long par 3 or into a par 5, I care alot more about a distance gap, height and stopping power. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

5 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

@SmoothG, what do you think? I just picked up the 4 iron for 69 bucks. Should get some range time this week. I was actually really satisfied with the MGS Most Wanted Utility testing. The UHX does not have the longest shaft or the lowest loft in the test, so I'm not caught up on distance or ball speed. I need help getting a 4 iron up in the air and going straight. Nice to see the UHX in the top 5 for launch angle, top 5 for peak height, top 5 for descent angle, and top of the charts for spin. The MGS test is using 2 and 3 irons looking at stroked gained off the tee, but when using this 4 iron into a long par 3 or into a par 5, I care alot more about a distance gap, height and stopping power. 

I ended up moving on from it.  The ball spun too much and I wasn't getting as much distance as I wanted due to the trajectory.  It was probably a shaft issue but I prefer a little less offset as well.  

PXG 0211 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik 21* 7W
Taylormade RSi1 5 Iron
Taylormade RSi2 6-PW
Taylormade PSI 50*
Maxfli Tour